PDA

View Full Version : Ratbird columnist rips Cowher

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2006, 01:13 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_481679.html

By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Baltimore Sun columnist wrote in Monday's paper that Steelers coach Bill Cowher should have been fired for keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the game Sunday. That may seem a little extreme, but extreme is one way to characterize the beating Roethlisberger took in the Steelers' 27-0 loss. He was sacked a career-high nine times and made the highlights the hard way. Given the head-snapping shot Bart Scott laid on him late in the second quarter, it's a wonder Roethlisberger held the ball.
"I was 30 yards downfield, and I heard it," Ravens defensive end Terrell Suggs said.

Roethlisberger didn't see Scott because the inside linebacker blitzed from the blind side.

"I just kind of remember my head hitting the ground," Roethlisberger said. "He just knocked the wind out of me, and I really couldn't breathe very well, so I just have to lay there a second."

Roethlisberger was replaced by Charlie Batch, but he returned to the game at the end of the quarter.

"He seemed all right after talking to him a couple of times," Cowher said of Roethlisberger.

Willie Parker is 85 yards from becoming the third player in Steelers history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He managed just 22 yards on 12 carries against the Ravens, marking the second time this season Parker has been held to fewer than 25 rushing yards in a game.

"They were blitzing out of formations they weren't supposed to be blitzing out of," Parker said.

The Steelers ran just 18 plays in the first half of Sunday's game and were behind, 17-0, at intermission.

"If you want to say we struggled to run, we got behind, and we abandoned it," Steelers guard Alan Faneca said. "If one quarter not being able to run is struggling, then that's what it is."

It's not like Batch would have been able to do anything else. He's no more or less mobile than Ben is. The OL would have allowed anybody to get killed on sunday. This is part of the growing process that Ben and the team has to go through. Nobody wants him to get beat up and beaten down and sunday was an extreme situation that I never want to see again, but pulling him wouldnt have done any good.

Steelersfan
11-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree with you on Ben TG. I don't want to see him get hurt but at the same time it doesn't do any good to bench him.
What the hell kind of comment is this?

"They were blitzing out of formations they weren't supposed to be blitzing out of," Parker said.
Did Willie bother to tell the Ravens what they could and couldn't do for blitzes?

SteelerFan87
11-28-2006, 01:25 AM
By the time it became obvious that they weren't going to win, and the Ravens were just going to have target practice at Ben, Cowher should have taken Ben out and put St. Pierre in. You don't want to risk your starter or your backup, but a guy like St. Pierre could have taken the snaps, and at least then he'd have some regular season experience, lol. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree with you on Ben TG. I don't want to see him get hurt but at the same time it doesn't do any good to bench him.
What the hell kind of comment is this?

Did Willie bother to tell the Ravens what they could and couldn't do for blitzes?

And that ladies and gentleman sums up the entire season. When a player says something like that it clearly tells me that they aren't prepared for the upcoming game, and that falls back on coaching. If players aren't prepared on what to look for in a game then the coaches aren't doing their job. That falls on Whiz, Russ, Bruce, Darren, and the rest but it ultimately falls on BC for not keeping this team focused and learning what needs to be done.

AZ_Steeler
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I kind of take that comment as the team was prepared it's just that the Ravens did something completely different this week that the Steelers obviously didn't have any tape of or had not seen from them in the past... :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
See I take it as the team didn't do their homework. That's not the first time the Ratbirds ran that type of defense with those players on the field. The ratbirds put all their fastest players on the field at the same time regardless of the formation. They did a similar thing against the Falcons and also the Saints. We just flat out didn't do our homework either because the players didn't pay enough attention to what the coaches were teaching or the coaches didn't teach enough. Either way you look at it the team clearly wasn't ready to play their arch rivals.

Normally these teams know each other too well and its just a battle of who wants it more but this year the ratbirds have doing some things different since Billick took over the play calling. We knew they'd try and run Jamal and we didn't let him beat us except for that one drive but they clearly didnt have an answer for the ratbirds defense against our offense. We were overmatched.