PDA

View Full Version : Hampton and Clark the priority

cmerrifield
01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steelers-expected-to-re-sign-dt-hampton-s-clark/

Jason La Canfora
Steelers expected to re-sign DT Hampton, S Clark
Posted: January 27th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Clark, Tyrone Carter

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made retaining DT Casey Hampton and S Ryan Clark an offseason priority and neither player is expected to hit the open market, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. This yearís free-agent class is already shaping up to be thin due to the absence of a CBA extension at this point, and the best prospects will be further limited as teams negotiate new deals with key free agents between now and March.

The Steelers began exploratory talks with Clark before the season, and it would be very surprising if they did not come to a deal in the coming weeks. Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year. In the mean time, the team is likely to let another free agent safety, Tyrone Carter, hit the market.

Hamptonís weight issues have given the team concern at times, but he again was an anchor on defense in 2009. Given Hamptonís age ó he will be playing his 10th season in 2010 ó and the possibility the sides cannot agree on a long-term deal, the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

Also, if there is no new CBA, clubs can utilize an extra franchise designation in 2010, another tool that would restrict the quantity and quality of players to hit the market.

These two are my priority too. I do think that we need to find both their replacements in this draft. I also find it funny that this is the same guy who said Hampton would be traded at the beginning of this season.

steelersbabex25
01-27-2010, 03:42 PM
This makes me extremely extremely happy.

SnakeEyes43
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing both back :yellowthumb:. I thought Hampton was a bigger priority than Clark, but I think Clark plays well as long as he has Troy back there to cover his ***. He needs to do a little less head-hunting and a little better coverage though :imho:. But yeah, no one plugs up the line like big Casey, so I'll be happy if he returns. :banana:

Zachintosh66
01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
IMO Colon comes before Clark... but yeah.

As I understand Colon could be eiter RFA or UFA depending on the CBA and IF there is a cap.

--- Added 1/27/2010 at 02:59 PM ---

He needs to do a little less head-hunting and a little better coverage.

:plus1: and a little more tackling although he is WAYYYY better at tackling than TyWrong Carter!

NCSteeler
01-28-2010, 02:11 AM
LaConfora = same jackass said we would trade Hampton last off season. Guy don't know jack.

Callax
01-28-2010, 02:18 AM
LaConfora = same jackass said we would trade Hampton last off season. Guy don't know jack.

WHO IS THIS GUY LaConfora????

addicts member??

Espn "guru"?

JensK
01-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Im all for it, if they an sign Woodley and Holmes as well next year. I don't want either of them to take up too much space.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Wood & Holmes won't be top priority right now because with the absence of a CBA right now they would only be RFA's and wouldn't be UFA's anyways; worst case scenario. You are right now, both of them better get new deals when their time comes.

Hampton, that's a given, the dude needs to be paid and finish his career here. We've got no one on the roster good enough to step in right now and do what he does. I do think starting next year or the year after, that drafting a new top flight NT will be in the cards for us so they are ready when Hamp finally leaves.

As far as Clark; he may have had his best year but he lost the respect of a lot of fans after that media stunt he pulled. Let's face it, without Troy our secondary is WAY below average right now so bringing him may be a good thing overall but considering who we don't have depth wise, it's almost a must at this point.

To be honest, Carter is not a bad strong safety. He's a good tackler when he's up close and he can play the run pretty well. His pass coverage is horrific though, we all know that. Letting him go isn't the worst decision they could make, assuming they actually go out and get us a decent guy to back up the starters.

JensK
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
i agree. Carter is a solid backup, and he played pretty well when he stood in for Clark against Denver. He just is not a good backup for Troy, because they ask him to do what Troy does, and he is just not capable. He is more than capable of being an older version of Clark. Hit hard, don't do too much in coverage and stop the run

JollyRob68
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Franchise Hampton and allow him to seek a trade. Rumor is KC wants him and they have the picks 1 rd one & two rd 2's. Try to sign clark it will allow you to get a safety later in the draft and can take Jared Odrick or Mike Iupati if Earl Thomas is not there.

K Train
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
i didnt think they would keep hampton, i didnt want them to keep clark

steelersbabex25
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
As far as Clark; he may have had his best year but he lost the respect of a lot of fans after that media stunt he pulled. Let's face it, without Troy our secondary is WAY below average right now so bringing him may be a good thing overall but considering who we don't have depth wise, it's almost a must at this point.

I don't remember this..to what media stunt are you referring? I feel like I can remember something in the back of my head but I can't put my finger on exactly what it was..

Stlrs4Life
01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I hope they let Carter walk. And I think Clarks best season was our SB year.

JensK
01-29-2010, 03:32 AM
I hope they let Carter walk. And I think Clarks best season was our SB year.

I don't get it. Carter will probably come at the league minimum, and he is a capable backup.

LatrobePA
01-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't get it. Carter will probably come at the league minimum, and he is a capable backup.

Key word BACK UP! He sucks azz!

JensK
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Key word BACK UP! He sucks azz!

The one time he started for Clark last year he did just fine. he just sucks when he steps in for troy, and is asked to do what Troy does. Obviously he is not good enough to do that, be he can do pretty much as good as job as Clark.

LatrobePA
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
The one time he started for Clark last year he did just fine. he just sucks when he steps in for troy, and is asked to do what Troy does. Obviously he is not good enough to do that, be he can do pretty much as good as job as Clark.

You got a point. I like him as a person, just not as a Steeler!