PDA

View Full Version : WHY THE F*** DID WE LET 'EM GO!?

Brad 69
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Discuss players we have cut, traded or just didnt resign in the past and present that you as fans regret not having anymore.:cursin::banging:

Callax
01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
The only players that recently were cut or not resigned that have had ANY impact with Another team are:

LB Joey Porter, who went to the Pro Bowl the year after we released him

THE BIG ONE...
G ALAN FANACA who has gone to 2 PRO BOWLS and I think will be a HOF,
and we have PAID MAX STARKS MORE THAN WE WOULD HAVE PAID FANACA DURING THAT TIME FRAME!!!!

STARKS WAS FRANCHISED NOT ONCE BUT TWICE ( 14 + MILLION OVER 2 YEARS)AND SIGNED TO A FAT CONTRACT....ALMOST AS FAT AS STARKS!!!!!!

BIG A$$ MISTAKE PITT!!!!!

Brad 69
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree especialy with faneca he wouldve been my first priority we also passed up on dan marino in the 80s and cut johny unitas in the late 50s or 60s i think it was so you figure if we wouldve gotten them we would have at least 8 super bowls i believe

scott0326
01-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Porter doesn't bother me at all... with Harrison and Woodley we don't need him... Alan Faneca is a guy I wish the Steelers would of kept as well..

steelersbabex25
01-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Porter doesn't bother me either. He went downhill the second he went to Miami. He's not the same at all in Miami as he was in Pittsburgh. If we kept him, he probably wouldn't really serve for anything more than a leader, which we have been lacking, but it wasn't completely necessary to keep him just for that. I'm happy with Woodley and Harrison.

cmerrifield
01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Keep in mind that Porter's decrease was the 4-3 defense he was forced into the first year in Miami, now that its 3-4, he is playing much better. However, Harrison has done everything Porter could do in the position. I think Woodley is stepping up to be a leader on D.

The person I am angry we let go was Woodson. He should have played his whole career as a Steeler

Blazedby92
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
WOODSON he was drafted out of purdue as a safety and KR but we let him go and other teams used him the way we should of and of course he thrived as a safety. He should of had won his first SB with us.

Zachintosh66
01-27-2010, 08:07 AM
agree'd blazed :yellowthumb: Woodson definatley

Feneca a little bit, but knew that was a biz move, if we woulda kept, we woulda not been able to keep others

K Train
01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
porter wants out of miami...i say come on home and finish your career here

LatrobePA
01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
porter wants out of miami...i say come on home and finish your career here

I'll take it!

greg1964
01-27-2010, 10:15 AM
There are only three former Steelers I wish they would have keep: ONLY because they should have retired Steelers:

Fanaca: but we all knew once he went public about his contract, he was done. BUT I do understand why the organization had to let him go: Ben, Harrison, Ward, Keisel, already done, and Woodley, Holmes, Hampton maybe Clark too come

Woodson: again I understand what the Steelers was thinking: remember the Steelers wanted Woodson to move to saftey after tearing his ACL, Woodson wanted to stay at corner, he left and went to the 49er and played one year at corner before moving to saftey.

Porter: I was sorry to see him leave, but understood it also. With the new coaching staff coming in, the last thing Tomlin needed was a another strong personally (AF was the other) to buck the new way of things getting done. But with Porter, unlike with AF his contact was up. Besides: With Harrison under contact, Timmons, Woodley (future picks) the Steelers would have pass on Woodley is if they committed to Porter.

SteelCityKid5
01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Id take Porter back but, where does he play? We have Woodley and Harrison.

K Train
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
hes still a pass rusher....can you have too many? plus farrior is really slowing down, porter might be too but porter can play OLB and harrison is a great MLB too so they could all be on the field

plus i dont care i love porter and always have

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Joey back to the Burgh....I like it.......I will always be a Joey Porter fan and he was huge in the Steelers run in winning Super Bowl XL.....Plus if he comes back I can start wearing my old Porter jersey again.......Like Ktrain said you can never have enough pass rushers and Porter could backup both Woodley and Harrison....Would Porter be willing to do that is the question?

The player that we let go but should have kept was Mike Vrabel....I really liked the pick of Vrabel and was hoping he was going to pan out with us.......He didn't show much when he was with the Steelers but watching him become a star in New England and him having a hand in them winning Super Bowls was tough to watch.......

SnakeEyes43
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Yea i agree with Faneca for sure. I do miss Joey, but like most have said, with Harrison and Woodley we don't really NEED him. I loved watching him talk sh*t pre-game though with his jersey rolled up...haha, he was badass.

igor0190
01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
My vote is for Woodson.... Didn't like seeing him in another jersey.

Faneca... Well he was stubborn and wanted to leave. He got his wish.

LatrobePA
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Duce Staley, I miss seeing him standing on the sidelines in his sweats! No one played that position better IMO! hahahahaha

Callax
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
There are only three former Steelers I wish they would have keep: ONLY because they should have retired Steelers:

Fanaca: but we all knew once he went public about his contract, he was done. BUT I do understand why the organization had to let him go: Ben, Harrison, Ward, Keisel, already done, and Woodley, Holmes, Hampton maybe Clark too come

Woodson: again I understand what the Steelers was thinking: remember the Steelers wanted Woodson to move to saftey after tearing his ACL, Woodson wanted to stay at corner, he left and went to the 49er and played one year at corner before moving to saftey.

Porter: I was sorry to see him leave, but understood it also. With the new coaching staff coming in, the last thing Tomlin needed was a another strong personally (AF was the other) to buck the new way of things getting done. But with Porter, unlike with AF his contact was up. Besides: With Harrison under contact, Timmons, Woodley (future picks) the Steelers would have pass on Woodley is if they committed to Porter.

Just another comment about Woodson.... When is contract was up in 1996, Pitt made little effort to keep him, only offering him a 5 year, 2 million dollar salary.... Even though he was not the same player after 10 years and a torn ACL, that STILL was a slap in the face of a player of his caliber. :hilarious:

DanRooney
01-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Plaxico even though we won the SB without him the next year. It was great having 2 dominant receivers with him and Hines in his prime.

Zachintosh66
01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
oooh good one there... Holmes vs Plax

SteelSkin37
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
:helmet: I agree, Faneca, Porter, Vrabel and Woodson. All star cast that would have been great to keep. But, a Super Bowl was won without them so look on the bright side, the glass is half full not half empty.GO STEELERS!!!

NCSteeler
01-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Feneca didn't want to be here, would not have excepted a contract for nearly any amount. He didn't like the coaching change. He's a great player, but I'm glad they didn't try and Tag him as he would have acted like an ***.

Woodson, realized later that the Steelers were right in suggesting the move to Safety, what eh Steelers did not know was that he was still worth big money as a safety, should have made him a decent offer.

Porter was cut because the FO did not want their new young coach to have to deal with his nonsense in the first season.

I think if they can't make a deal with Hampton, they ought to let him go too. I really think he will be nothing but trouble if he gets tagged

harpo
01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I hated to se Chad Brown go to the Seahawks. He made his first Pro-Bowl with us in '96 and the next two with the Hawks ('98, '99).

That linebacker core with Lloyd, Kirkland, Greene and Brown was by far the best ever!

JollyRob68
01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Alan didn't want to stay and caused issues with the other Lineman because they didn't hire Grim.

--- Added 1/28/2010 at 02:50 PM ---

Tag Hampton and allow him to find a trade. The rumor is the Chiefs want him and they have the draft picks to negotiate. KC has a Round 1 and 2 Round 2's. The Steelers will take either or negotiate to swap 1st rounders and take one of their rd 2's.

NCSteeler
01-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Alan didn't want to stay and caused issues with the other Lineman because they didn't hire Grim.

--- Added 1/28/2010 at 02:50 PM ---

Tag Hampton and allow him to find a trade. The rumor is the Chiefs want him and they have the draft picks to negotiate. KC has a Round 1 and 2 Round 2's. The Steelers will take either or negotiate to swap 1st rounders and take one of their rd 2's.

With KC draft picks, why not just grab a young NT , they don't need a thirty something coming to a young team that is still a few years away from being good.

SteelerSal
01-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd say Woodson and Carnell Lake.

MattyVfromCT
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
i'm surprised nobody mentioned greg lloyd. he should have retired a steeler, even if he was past his prime when they let him go. woodson and lloyd get my vote

SteelerSal
01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
i'm surprised nobody mentioned greg lloyd. he should have retired a steeler, even if he was past his prime when they let him go. woodson and lloyd get my vote

Lloyd never made an impact after he left Pittsburgh. Never was the same after the knee and the staph infection he had.

Steelerlyn
02-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Noone really knows what went on with Faneca. We should have kept him, in my mind and his not being there surely has hurt us. As far as Porter is concerned he was pretty much all mouth. Never impressed me, he would have impressed me if he had done his talking strickly on the field but he took it off the field and that is very unprofessional.

MattyVfromCT
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Lloyd never made an impact after he left Pittsburgh. Never was the same after the knee and the staph infection he had.

i know. like i said, even if he was past his prime, i would have still liked to see him retire as a steeler even if he was primarily a backup like bettis was in his final season