PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Earl Thomas

xxxsteelernation
01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Draft Countdown has predicted that steelers could possibly take Earl Thomas from texas in the first round. They also said that Steelers could be flirting with the idea of C.J. Spiller from Clemson. Which one would you take? or is there a another pick that you think Steelers would benifit more from.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php

Big T
01-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I love Earl Thomas....He's definitely been at the top of my wish list for a while...before this season, C.J. Spiller was my preseason favorite and is still in my top 5 value picks for the steelers at 18...

Depending on who is on the board when the steelers pick, I think they would both be good picks...but if both are on the board, Earl Thomas needs to be the pick...he has the potential to be special and I think he would be way too valuable to pass on....

On the other hand, if Earl Thomas is off the board and Spiller is still available(depending on who else is left) I think he would be a great pick...he would sure-up a bunch of areas in the steelers game...he is an elite return man and would be great in the return game, both as a punt and kick returner....he would also be a great change-of-pace back and he and Rashard would make a great tandem...he also has great hands out of the backfield and could be used out of the backfield and be lined up in the slot and be dangerous as hell!!!

I love the idea of either one of them beeing steelers but like I said, if Earl Thomas is on the board, he has to be the pick...

K Train
01-26-2010, 01:13 AM
draft countdown has good forums but his rankings are weird. i like reading his mocks just for the explanations even though i dont usually agree with what he says

JensK
01-26-2010, 04:03 AM
I love Earl Thomas....He's definitely been at the top of my wish list for a while...before this season, C.J. Spiller was my preseason favorite and is still in my top 5 value picks for the steelers at 18...

Depending on who is on the board when the steelers pick, I think they would both be good picks...but if both are on the board, Earl Thomas needs to be the pick...he has the potential to be special and I think he would be way too valuable to pass on....

On the other hand, if Earl Thomas is off the board and Spiller is still available(depending on who else is left) I think he would be a great pick...he would sure-up a bunch of areas in the steelers game...he is an elite return man and would be great in the return game, both as a punt and kick returner....he would also be a great change-of-pace back and he and Rashard would make a great tandem...he also has great hands out of the backfield and could be used out of the backfield and be lined up in the slot and be dangerous as hell!!!

I love the idea of either one of them beeing steelers but like I said, if Earl Thomas is on the board, he has to be the pick...

I agree, and i do find it hard to believe that one of them shouldnt fall to us, however, there is probably also other talents at18 which would be hard to pass on, especially on the o-line. I don't think it would make too much sense to draft a Rb without adressing our o-line at some point, because they are not helping our RBs too much.

I really want Noel Devine next year. Train told me about him, and after watching him play, i really think that guy is going to be amazing.

Big T
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree, and i do find it hard to believe that one of them shouldnt fall to us, however, there is probably also other talents at18 which would be hard to pass on, especially on the o-line. I don't think it would make too much sense to draft a Rb without adressing our o-line at some point, because they are not helping our RBs too much.

I really want Noel Devine next year. Train told me about him, and after watching him play, i really think that guy is going to be amazing.

Devine definitely has the talent to make it in the NFL...he's like Darren Sproles but stronger and even a little faster....

coach
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Mayock's initial top 5 lists are out and he has some surprises for everyone. Nonethelss, I think there will be options at 18 that give the Steelers a few different possibilites. I don't see any of the top 10 guys being overlooked by the teams that pick ahead of us. But, it is entirley possible that choices will inlcude any of the following:
-Spiller
-Several OTs
-Several ends
-Spikes
-Cody
-Mays/Thomas

Depending on their board, we could trade down and still hit a great number one and try to get some additional depth at other positions given that age and depth have been discussed as issues.

Mays' production did fall this year, but the front seven didn't help. What would his performance be like with a strong NFL front 7?

Would you take Thomas for sure or would you trade down, select from the above list and grab an additional pick for another round?

K Train
01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Devine definitely has the talent to make it in the NFL...he's like Darren Sproles but stronger and even a little faster....

alot stronger, freakishly strong

Callax
01-26-2010, 10:05 PM

On the other hand, if Earl Thomas is off the board and Spiller is still available(depending on who else is left) I think he would be a great pick...he would sure-up a bunch of areas in the steelers game...he is an elite return man and would be great in the return game, both as a punt and kick returner....he would also be a great change-of-pace back and he and Rashard would make a great tandem...he also has great hands out of the backfield and could be used out of the backfield and be lined up in the slot and be
dangerous as hell!!!

Taking another RB in the 1st round after taking a non bust RB in the 1st rd 2 years ago is not going to happen. They have solid depth with Mendy, Moore and Redman

other than Hines getting another year older, they should be OK @ WR, Hope Sweed gets his head out of his A$$!
Pitt needs CB/S, OL, DL and a replacement LB for Harrison and Farrior in a few years

Earl Thomas if he slides
IF Pitt wants a stud... Get BERRY!!!!!!!!!!

xxxsteelernation
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
ok what about TE? Millers getting up there in age now, and the back ups are not well that productive in the passing game. and who should be pick up in the later rounds?

Callax
01-26-2010, 11:07 PM
ok what about TE? Millers getting up there in age now, and the back ups are not well that productive in the passing game. and who should be pick up in the later rounds?

no miller has a good 5 more years before we need to replace him, that's a back burneer issue

K Train
01-27-2010, 12:22 AM
miller was drafted in 05 and his rookie contract just ran up and got extended lol hes way far away from getting up there in age, hes barely in his prime

Big T
01-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Taking another RB in the 1st round after taking a non bust RB in the 1st rd 2 years ago is not going to happen. They have solid depth with Mendy, Moore and Redman

other than Hines getting another year older, they should be OK @ WR, Hope Sweed gets his head out of his A$$!
Pitt needs CB/S, OL, DL and a replacement LB for Harrison and Farrior in a few years

Earl Thomas if he slides
IF Pitt wants a stud... Get BERRY!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Colbert has already said that QB is the only position that will not be considered in the first....and you say we have solid depth behind Rashard? Mewelde Moore is a "solid" backup but he's not great...And how in the f*cking world can you say that Isaac Redman is "solid depth"...he hasn't proved **** and he's been cut and put back on the practice squad more times than I can remember...and if he was such "solid depth" then why did 31 other teams pass on this "solid depth" SO many times when he was cut and put back on the practice squad....I'm not hoping he fails...I hope he becomes all-pro and proves me wrong, but Isaac Redman is not what this team needs...

The NFL has become a 2-back league...We need another running back who will complement Rashard and C.J. Spiller is absolutely ideal for that role...he would also immediately sure up the return game....

JensK
01-27-2010, 03:32 AM
First off, i think there is little doubt, that most Steelers fans would love Berry to Pittsburgh. I also think that most people know that i wont happen. He is a lock in top 10, most likely in top 5 as well. It would cost way way too much to get anywhere near him.

I agree with Big T that NFl has become a 2-back league, but i think going for another RB in the first would be pushing it, seeing we completely ignore our o-line. RBs an only do so much without a solid o-line, and there will be speedy guys in the later rounds who could be a good back-up for Mendenhall. With that being said, i would not be angry if we did draft Spiller... I just think there is too many needs ahead of him.

Zachintosh66
01-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I really like ET, but I guess it depends on if we resign Clark... if we do I dont see us taking him.

coldrolled
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Kevin Colbert has already said that QB is the only position that will not be considered in the first....and you say we have solid depth behind Rashard? Mewelde Moore is a "solid" backup but he's not great...And how in the f*cking world can you say that Isaac Redman is "solid depth"...he hasn't proved **** and he's been cut and put back on the practice squad more times than I can remember...and if he was such "solid depth" then why did 31 other teams pass on this "solid depth" SO many times when he was cut and put back on the practice squad....I'm not hoping he fails...I hope he becomes all-pro and proves me wrong, but Isaac Redman is not what this team needs...

The NFL has become a 2-back league...We need another running back who will complement Rashard and C.J. Spiller is absolutely ideal for that role...he would also immediately sure up the return game....

We have a 5th round Summers and 7th Redman. We need someone other than arians developing the running game. he could get spiller and still screw it up, his game plan is passing and three tight ends. he even said he was proud not to have a Fullback on the roster.

We need an OC or a Running Game Coach.

K Train
01-27-2010, 01:47 PM
frank summers LOL

coldrolled
01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
frank summers LOL

Arians LOL

He has a first round Mendenhall and doesnt know when to run him in the redzone.

LOL

We could have 5 first round RB's. Arians would make them all look bad.

Best Idea - Get Dick all the players he needs in the Draft... Go All D.

Maybe one OL for depth.. Wait till Arians is gone next year and start drafting good
O players for the new OC.

Big T
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Redman was an undrafted free agent and Frank Summers won't make the team either....

JensK
01-28-2010, 03:37 AM
Redman was an undrafted free agent and Frank Summers won't make the team either....

He probably will. Tomlin is way to stubborn not to. He will fail miserably though

coldrolled
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
He probably will. Tomlin is way to stubborn not to. He will fail miserably though

Hmm.

i must have missed the games they played in? Redman 0

summers blocked on 4 plays got the ball once and ran 4 yards.
and dropped a pass thrown behind him.

on all the run plays. the defense knew they were running.
because we have no play action.

were there other plays summers was in?

thats all he gets for evaluation? wow.

please just draft defensive players mike.

Ben threw what 4 INT's in the endzone from the redzone, favre blew the chamionship game because he didnt run the ball for 6 yards and then threw it across the field for an INT, 16 years of nfl experience taught him that one.... They should be let go.

hopefully some running back coach is working with summers and redman and davis. i would love to hear what he has to say?

cmerrifield
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I really like ET, but I guess it depends on if we resign Clark... if we do I dont see us taking him.

It will not matter if we resign Clark, we could still take ET, LeBeau's defense is too tricky to start a rookie in the secondary. So I hope we resign Clark and draft his replacement, and ET would be just fine with me.

andyg1984
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Ben threw what 4 INT's in the endzone from the redzone, favre blew the chamionship game because he didnt run the ball for 6 yards and then threw it across the field for an INT, 16 years of nfl experience taught him that one.... They should be let go.

hopefully some running back coach is working with summers and redman and davis. i would love to hear what he has to say?

did i read that top one correctly?

--- Added 1/28/2010 at 09:37 AM ---

btw there are reasons we do not run mendy often in the redzone/when we need yards .. not to say it is justified but the reasons exist if you watch him dance too much/shy away from contact behind a crappy interior OL ..

coldrolled
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
did i read that top one correctly?

Just Logical sarcasm...

We need to give our rookies some playing time. like sweed had.

i think mike and/or rooney spoke of this last week.

it was the warning to arians. build a better running game plan and play the young guys.

then we can release them if they are failing. we drafted how many CB's last year?

and we need to draft more this year? did the 2009 CB's even play at CB this year?..

does a CB need to be a 1st round pick to have a chance in the NFL. Maybe we need to pick a CB first round, then use our 2nd and 3rds for Lineman.

we cant seem to find a CB in the later rounds? so did we waste 2-3 picks last year?

andyg1984
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
i still like joe burnett as a #3 or down the road as a good fill in and think he has better upside than gay ... it is tough to judge a corner unless you watch the games over and watch away from the ball .. he showed he has the potential to cover .. he is the type of athlete it takes to play DB ..give him time .. hold me to it ..

in terms of value, i would not be surprised to see us take a corner in the 2nd .. make a move for perrish cox!!

dawgs
01-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I have you guys drafting someone on the OL. 8 sacks to the Browns?

coldrolled
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I have you guys drafting someone on the OL. 8 sacks to the Browns?

Funny, you sacked us big time, you gave us Arians....

Doesnt matter who is on the OL.

Our plays suck.

JollyRob68
01-30-2010, 02:01 AM
I like Earl Thomas and he can play Safety & CB.*It will be hard to bypass him but both Mike Iupati & JAred Odrick had great weeks at the Sr Bowl practices. As well as kyle Wilson CB. We have neglected the OL/DL for too long now and I think Mike Iupati will do exactly what Art II wants and Jared Odrick Will rotate in Immediately, Hopefully it will save Aaron Smith. Aaron Smith is no spring chicken and when he goes down so does the Steelers playoff hopes. 1 yr we were one and done and last year didnt make the playoffs.
If the Steelers could run the ball at will(Mike Iupati) or Stay Fresh and get 3 & outs ( Jared Ordrick).

JensK
01-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I really think that Earl Thomas will be there at 18, if Usi leaves giants. I'll bet they'll go with Weatherspoon in that case. If not, i am having a hard time seeing Giants passing on Earl Thomas.

Niners could probably snack him right infront of us as well. They do have a lot of other needs though, but the more i think of it, the harder i find it that Thomas is there at 18 when we draft.