PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Casey Hampton

Captcoolhand
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM
The Steelers have some tough decisions to make concerning their six unrestricted free agents before the signing period begins March 5. What they do about their hulking nose tackle may be one of the hardest.

Casey Hampton will play in his fifth Pro Bowl next Sunday and it might not be the last time this year he wears a football uniform other than his Steelers No. 98.
• For nine seasons, since he broke into the starting lineup as a rookie in 2001, Hampton has anchored some of the best defenses of the decade at nose tackle. But unless the team makes a move to keep him over the next month, Hampton will become an unrestricted free agent March 5.

The Steelers have options, none of them cheap. They can negotiate a long-term contract over the next month or they can put either a franchise or transition tag on Hampton.

His agent does not know what to expect, but sources told the Post-Gazette the team will try to sign Hampton one way or another before he becomes a free agent. That is something they did not try to do last year while they signed other players to long-term contracts before they started their final year under their old deals, players such as defensive end Brett Keisel, tight end Heath Miller and offensive tackle Max Starks.

"Really, we don't know right now," said agent Eric Armstead, who hopes to talk to the Steelers during Senior Bowl practices this week in Mobile, Ala. "They have time to toy around until March. It's an administrative decision.

A look at the other free agents the Steelers must decide on in anticipation of the start of free agency on March 5:

"Typically, the Steelers do business one way. When they want to retain a person, they sign him a year early and don't make a big splash. They are textbook."

That is what they did with Hampton the last time around. He had one year left on his contract when they signed him to a new one in the summer of 2005 at $22.75 million for five years. They ignored him last summer under identical circumstances and one year after coach Mike Tomlin put him on the physically unable to report list when the coach said he did not report to training camp in shape.

Replacing Hampton would be a difficult job. Chris Hoke remains his backup and played well when he started 12 games in 2004, including two in the playoffs, after Hampton's season ended with a torn ACL. Hoke has not had to play often since then, although he regularly enters games to give Hampton a rest. Hoke turns 32 in April, Hampton 33 in September.

Hampton has said he wants to stay with the Steelers and privately has told people that someone promised him the team would not put the franchise tag on him.

However, the Steelers might have no choice and it might be their best avenue. The cost to put the one-year franchise or transition tenders on a player have not yet been revealed by the league or the players union. Last season a one-year salary required to pay a franchised defensive tackle was slightly more than $6 million, about $5.5 million for the transition tag.

Each team will have both a franchise and transition tag if the collective bargaining agreement is not extended by March 5. That might not be a bad way for the Steelers to go with Hampton, who counted $6,652,000 against their salary cap last season. He would roughly count the same if franchised in 2010.

If they put the "exclusive" franchise tag on Hampton, he cannot negotiate with other teams. The "non-exclusive" tag would allow him to negotiate and if he signs and the Steelers do not match, they would receive two first-round draft choices in return. The transition tag only allows the Steelers the right to match another contract and keep the player.

"They haven't suggested making him the franchise player," Armstead said. "But a lot of times teams don't, so we really, really don't know."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10024/1030671-66.stm#ixzz0dYXg4zbR It you can waste money and give that fat slob Starks 7-8 million a year why not Hampton?

BlackGold4vr
01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
If you can waste money and give that fat slob Starks 7-8 million a year why not Hampton?

:plus1:

Exactly! How many years has Hampton's defenses been ranked near the top? 4 pro-bowls. How many pro-bowls for Starks? Has the Steeler O-line ever been great with Starks in it? One year and that was in the 2005 superbowl year where he was a rookie. Since then the O-line has struggled and so has Starks. We cannot afford to lose Hampton yet and he has showed he still has something left. I think they should give him a two year deal if he will take it. If not franchise his *** so another team would have to give us something to take him from us.

:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Give Hampton his money, or be prepared to spend your 1st round pick on a NT; it's as simple as that. The dude has been money every year, regardless of his preseason weight issues. At the very least stick a tag on him so if he bolts we get some compensation. If they just let him go without so much as even trying to tag him or give him a decent offer to compete with other teams, they are stupid!

Ironman
01-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Give Hampton his money, or be prepared to spend your 1st round pick on a NT; it's as simple as that. The dude has been money every year, regardless of his preseason weight issues. At the very least stick a tag on him so if he bolts we get some compensation. If they just let him go without so much as even trying to tag him or give him a decent offer to compete with other teams, they are stupid!

Agreed. The Steelers do not have a suitable replacement within the franchise to replace the foundation Hampton represents. As far as replacing him via free agency, good luck- the projected FA's aren't remotely comparable to Hampton's abilities. Drafting a DT will be tough, especially one that can start or at least rotate into the scheme with Hoke. Bottom line, Steelers must try to resign. If negotiations fail, tag him- at least for the compensatory picks that would be gravely needed to draft a replacement.

JollyRob68
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Agreed. The Steelers do not have a suitable replacement within the franchise to replace the foundation Hampton represents. As far as replacing him via free agency, good luck- the projected FA's aren't remotely comparable to Hampton's abilities. Drafting a DT will be tough, especially one that can start or at least rotate into the scheme with Hoke. Bottom line, Steelers must try to resign. If negotiations fail, tag him- at least for the compensatory picks that would be gravely needed to draft a replacement.

I wouldn't think twice about Franchise tagging Hampton. You dont let him walk for free.
With the issues the Steelers have had with Aaron Smith getting injured the last few years.I think it might be tough to pass on Carlos Dunlap if he's on the board at 18 and Earl Thomas & Taylor Mays are off the board.(Joe Haden,Eric Berry & Rolando McClain will be off the board) Most people would say to take Terrance Cody but Tomlin already has an issue with Hamptons weight. I think Tomlin likes Dan Williams and has other NT on his list possibly Torrell Troup who did well at the east west shrine practice week & game.

cmerrifield
01-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Hampton wants to play for the Steelers but doesnt want to be franchised, so I think he would talk to the FO and negotiate before March 5th, so lets start talking. 3 years 15 million would be reasonable in my opinion

K Train
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
yeah reasonable is one thing, but haynesworth, canty, soon to be ngata, tommy kelly and shaun rogers all got big pay days.....why shouldnt hampton?

cmerrifield
01-25-2010, 10:31 AM
The franchise tag is only about 6.1 million, I think 5 million a year would be a pretty good payday for that position, Hampton would get three more years, the Steelers would get a 1 million day break on his pay this year, I would think for his age, 3 years at almost franchise pay is a "big payday" Plus, he wants to play for a winning team, and isnt about just money. Many people say he only worked hard this year because it was a contract year, but I think last year's groin injury hurt him more than people think and that is why he is much better this year.

K Train
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
what makes you think its not about the money? hes got 2 superbowl rings, why not go to the broncos or chiefs and make top dollar to be the foundation of their new 34 defense.

im just sayin, its nice to think its not all about the money but if they dont tag him or work out a deal before FA starts, he will go to the highest bidder for sure and theres a market for him

cmerrifield
01-25-2010, 10:40 AM
He said it in an interview before the season started, he said if the Steelers didnt resign him, he was going to hit the free-agency market, but he said he wanted to play for a good team that had a chance to win the superbowl, not just any team

Captcoolhand
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
K Train.....what makes you think its not about the money? hes got 2 superbowl rings, why not go to the broncos or chiefs and make top dollar to be the foundation of their new 34 defense.

im just sayin, its nice to think its not all about the money but if they dont tag him or work out a deal before FA starts, he will go to the highest bidder for sure and theres a market for him not to mention, he probably thinks, I don't have many playing days left and if i can score in a warmer climax....why not go. Just saying :2cents:

Dee Mca
01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Plays these days ALWAYS say it want to finish my career here and I don't care how much money I'm offered but in the end the all mighty dollar wins out. I honestly don't see them offering a 33 y/o overweight nose tackle a 3 year deal. If anything they offer him a 1 year deal probably around what he got for this season. Then we look for someone in the draft to back him up next season and probably let Hoke go.

Captcoolhand
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Best case... keep Hampton/Hope, draft a DT with enough smarts to learn from these guys and let big snack go after next season if he works out. IMO.

I'm not a draft guru but, you don't need alot of strength or quickness to play in this league if you are smart enough to pick up our play book and know the plays.(Idea 2-4 rd)

cmerrifield
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Out of all the free agents, Hampton is the one I hope we keep the most, assuming Colon is RFA and we get either him or a first round pick for him.

K Train
01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
maybe some team would go after colon if they want a BADASS guard and are willing to stop being in denial about what positon he would play

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
The franchise tag is only about 6.1 million, I think 5 million a year would be a pretty good payday for that position, Hampton would get three more years, the Steelers would get a 1 million day break on his pay this year, I would think for his age, 3 years at almost franchise pay is a "big payday" Plus, he wants to play for a winning team, and isnt about just money. Many people say he only worked hard this year because it was a contract year, but I think last year's groin injury hurt him more than people think and that is why he is much better this year.

I'm sure he would love nothing more than to stay in Lebeau's defense and finish out his career but unless the Steelers come REALLY close to his market value (or they tag him) it's a good possibility he'll be gone. He's going to want all he can before he retires because this will realistically be his last contract before hanging it up. We'd all like to think a player will give a team a hometown discount but you never know for sure.

Casey has been rock solid his whole career, not just this year. The dude is money and should be paid accordingly. The Steelers know they have no one right now to step in an play as well as he did. One thing to think about though, in 2008 Farrior played out of his mind and got a new deal heading into 2009. He clearly lost a step this past season so the front office MAY be alittle gun shy about giving a big deal to a somewhat older player but we shall see.

He's easily got a good 3 years left in him, so give him a nice deal with a boat load up front but then back fill it with incentives the last 2 years and take it from there.

strong D
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree that they need to try and work something out with big snack but loosin ryan clark would also be a big hit to the defense

K Train
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
ryan clark is not that good....hes replaceable

JensK
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I agree that they need to try and work something out with big snack but loosin ryan clark would also be a big hit to the defense

If they drafted Earl Thomas, Nate Allen or Rolle, it would not be a step down at all from Clark. Id say all three of them has a really good chance to be a pretty big step up compared to Clark, especially Earl Thomas, but you all knew that.

Captcoolhand
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — If the Steelers don't sign nose tackle Casey Hampton to a multi-year contract within the next five weeks they they should give him the freedom to look elsewhere, the five-time Pro Bowler said today.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, and he said "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag on him. A franchise tag would essentially prevent the 6-foot-1, 325-pound Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

"You say we're family and you'll take care of me, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

If the Steelers tag Hampton, 32, they would have to offer him a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries for defensive linemen in 2009.

Using a franchise tag on the player that has been an anchor for the Steelers' defense would prevent other teams from negotiating with Hampton or force them to give up two first-round draft picks if they made him an offer that the Steelers declined to match.

Hampton turned in one of his better seasons in 2009, notching a career-high 2.5 sacks while making 42 tackles and earning his fourth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Steelers have said they want Hampton, their first-round draft pick in 2001, back. Hampton wants to return to Pittsburgh as long as the Steelers make the kind of commitment to him that he said he has given to them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right and I'm big on that," said Hampton, who will play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that. Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."
Sounds like Hampton will be 1 pissed off SOB if the drop the tag on him.

:imho: I think either way he's still not going to play the same as this past season or any better.
Tag him and he's going to be pissed and say :bigfinger: Give him a contract and he's just going to figure, why play hard i got payed :dunno:

JensK
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
He needs to quit whining imo. He would earn a ton of money if they tag him.

steelersbabex25
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
You think you know a player, and then they moan and bitch about being franchised. I guess you really don't know them until the end of their career when they're looking for the money.

Captcoolhand
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
His son's getting older so he has to buy that extra bucket of chicken. :D http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/570/44933110.gif (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/44933110.gif/)

Ironman
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
His son's getting older so he has to buy that extra bucket of chicken. :D http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/570/44933110.gif (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/44933110.gif/)

haha "lil Snack"

I'm sure he's as cute and cuddly as the Big Snack

Captcoolhand
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today that the Steelers have made re-signing nose tackle Casey Hampton, free safety Ryan Clark and kicker Jeff Reed a top priority.
The Steelers have until Feb. 25 to use a franchise or transition tag on one of those players, presumably Hampton, to prevent him from hitting the open market March 5.
Hampton told the Tribune-Review recently that it "will be a problem" if the Steelers use the franchise tag on him.
Colbert said the Steelers are hoping to get a multi-year contract done with Hampton but haven't ruled out tagging the five-time Pro Bowler. If the Steelers use a franchise tag on Hampton, they would have to offer him a one-year, $7.74 million contract.
"Our stance on the tag is that while we don't like to use them we're never going to say that we're not going to use something that is collectively bargained as a tool in this process," Colbert said.
Colbert said the Steelers are evaluating potential free agents. He added that serious negotiations with the team's unrestricted free agents, such as Hampton, won't start until after that process is completed.
That would give the Steelers roughly a week to sign Hampton, Reed or Clark before the deadline tagging players but Colbert said that is enough time to get new deals done.
"Right now we're not looking at it as against the clock or anything like that," Colbert said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_666924.htmlWhere does Hamptom think he's going to go and make that kind of Cabbage at his age. :duh:

K Train
02-12-2010, 04:35 PM
ummm....anywhere that will sign him? he would get top NT dollar in KC, in Denver, in miami, in buffalo, in cleveland (they dont seem to like rogers), possibly SF....all teams that need him

LatrobePA
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Send Rogers fatass down here!

JensK
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
ummm....anywhere that will sign him? he would get top NT dollar in KC, in Denver, in miami, in buffalo, in cleveland (they dont seem to like rogers), possibly SF....all teams that need him

He would not get 7.something mil the first year. Hampton is 30, and there is a pretty big risk that we'll be without NFL for maybe two years, where he wont get payed. That leaves him at almost 33, where he wont get as big a deal. If i were him i would be happy to get those 7.something mil a year, and then resign with the Steelers for the rest of his career for like 3-5mil a year. That would be a good deal for him and the Steelers imo.

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
More:

Steelers to let FWP and D. townsend test the waters.

Steelers identify free-agent priorities
Friday, February 12, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have identified three players as their priorities to sign before they become free agents March 5, but they will not begin negotiations with them for at least another week.
Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, identified them as kicker Jeff Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark. All three will become unrestricted free agents if they do not sign a new contract by March 5.
Colbert said they could use the franchise and transition tags available to them in order to keep them. Each team has one of each this year but must use them on a player between now and Feb. 25. That would leave less than a week between the time the team begins negotiations with the three players on new contracts and when the team must decide whether to issue them a franchise or transition tag.
Each tag requires a one-year salary tender to the player and maintains certain rights of the team to that player once free agency begins. The franchise tag virtually assures the team will be able to keep a player for the next season. The transition tag merely allows a team to match any contract that player might sign as a free agent.
Colbert said other impending unrestricted free agents such as running back Willie Parker and cornerback Deshea Townsend will not receive contract offers before free agency begins but as the process moves along, they could be offered contracts later if they do not sign elsewhere.
"We haven't ruled anybody out," Colbert said of their free agents coming back.
Colbert said while it appears there will be no salary cap in 2010, the Steelers "will operate as we always have. We will operate as if we have a cap."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10043...#ixzz0fMLM76GB (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10043/1035442-100.stm#ixzz0fMLM76GB)