PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu and Taylor Mays - Simularities?

JensK
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Everyone who cares a little about the draft will know that Taylor Mays is one of the most hyped / hated players in this draft, because of his total lack of cover skills, but also because of his amazing athleticism (<- a word i'll never ever learn to spell :/ ). I know a lot of guys here on the board (including me) would hate to see him go to the Steelers, especially with the amazing talent the safety position brings to the table this season. However, thinking back, i believe that what Taylor Mays lacks now, was the very same thing Troy lacked when he came out of college. iirc, one of the big question marks with Troy was his ability to cover.

If you are looking at the stats, Taylor Mays and Troy Polamalu's stats are more or less the same coming out of College (Troys being a little better, but not much).

While im not saying that we should draft Taylor Mays, i am wondering if he really is as bad as we are all thinking?

(there, i brought it up, now we can get it out of the world :P)

darnik44
01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Mays is an athlete, not a football player. He lacks instincts in my opinion, and instincts can't be taught. I suppose if he's used properly, he could be a decent in the box SS. But even to do that he has a long way to go as a tackler.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Listening to some of the talk on Sirius, many of the hosts feel he's going to be a top pick of course, but more than likely gone before the Steelers would pick anyways.

Remember, when we drafted Troy we traded WAY up in the draft to get him. I remember being there at Heinz Field when we was drafted and everyone was shocked that we actually made a move like that to get a player like Troy because the Steelers rarely move up that much.

andyg1984
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
i think javier arenas is closer to troy than taylor mays ..

with javier arenas you get the definition of football player ... reliable tacker,solid blitzing, excpetional ST play in addition to being effective taking on blockers close to the line .. i know the concerns people have about him as a corner, but watch out for him being a niche player w/ maybe even more down the line ..

K Train
01-23-2010, 02:26 AM
4 year starters at a premier program like usc should not be drafted as projects....huge red flag imo

coldrolled
01-23-2010, 08:59 AM
i think javier arenas is closer to troy than taylor mays ..

with javier arenas you get the definition of football player ... reliable tacker,solid blitzing, excpetional ST play in addition to being effective taking on blockers close to the line .. i know the concerns people have about him as a corner, but watch out for him being a niche player w/ maybe even more down the line ..

and if Earl Thomas makes it to #18

he may be the best choice to solidify the field with troy..

if not then Bulaga Left OT or Cody NT may be the pick...

andyg1984
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM
i would like cody, thomas in the first .. i don't know much about Bulaga .. arenas will be around in the 3rd maybe, but that is where i would want Dexter McCluster ...