PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Declined Pro Bowl Invite

Zachintosh66
01-20-2010, 03:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/8767/big-ben-declined-pro-bowl-invite

Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers was the first Pro Bowl alternate Wednesday to replace New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. But team doctors recommended Roethlisberger (shoulder) turn down the invite until he was fully recovered.

Roethlisberger
Roethlisberger hurt his right shoulder in Pittsburgh's regular-season finale against the Miami Dolphins. The injury will not require surgery.

The NFL announced Wednesday that Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub will replace Brady, instead of Roethlisberger, on the AFC roster.

"His shoulder was not 100 percent from our final game in Miami," Steelers head of public relations Dave Lockett said. "Our doctors and trainers have recommended that he should allow it to heal 100 percent."

Roethlisberger became the Steelers' first quarterback to throw for more than 4,000 yards in a season. After winning the Super Bowl last year, Pittsburgh finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs this season via a tiebreaker.

LatrobePA
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I bet if it was in Nevada he would of went! j/k lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM

:doh1: oh man that's bad :lol:

I wasn't aware his shoulder was that bad; we didn't hear anything on that being anything significant did we? :scratch:

Oh well, it was nice to see him to get the invite anyways but if he's not 100%, no sense going out there and prolonging the healing process or possibly making it worse and needing surgery.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Why do they even play the game anymore? Does anyone actually care about the Pro Bowl? Give em all the recognition of the award and then have a skills competition if you want to.

75Steeler
01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Pro Bowl!! He don't need no stinking Pro Bowl!! It is cool for him to be asked to play but It counts for nothing so I'm glad he isn't playing. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
If the pro bowl actually meant something in terms of your season it would be more worth it. Putting it the week before the super bowl is their way of trying to jump start interest in it.

Goodfrom55
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Thing is anyone who is in the Superbowl (possibly Manning, Brees, Favre, etc.) will pull out of the pro bowl because of it. bad idea, NFL. Should have kept it in Hawaii after the season.

it turns into a B-List exhibition.

steelersbabex25
01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Thing is anyone who is in the Superbowl (possibly Manning, Brees, Favre, etc.) will pull out of the pro bowl because of it. bad idea, NFL. Should have kept it in Hawaii after the season.

it turns into a B-List exhibition.

Agreed. Most people who are elected into the probowl (well not most, but a lot) are probably going to be going to the superbowl anyway. It doesn't make any sense. Let's make it in Miami a week before the superbowl instead of Hawaii? Yeah, that would get a lot more people interested for sure..

LatrobePA
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Ticket sells are through the roof for this game on the main land. Cheaper for the average Joe to attend, I get that point, but agree with most. The timing is just freaking wrong!!

lloydfan4life
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM

:rofl: Now THAT'S funny... I don't care who you are!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Those players that are in the super bowl will not be playing the pro bowl, that's part of the set up originally agreed upon when they made this change. Right there you are alienating fans from seeing some of their favorite players, so yeah the whole pro bowl scenario needs completely revamped because it's just pointless.

I don't know what the exact answer is, but nobody watches it anymore, and now you stick it before the super bowl and while that's nice and all you immediately take away some big names so that doesn't work either.

I'm glad to see Ben get the invite though for sure, he deserved it.

BR7
01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Hell.. just do it like the NHL or MLB.. stick it right smack in the middle of the season. Then that's everyones 'bye' week. Kill two birds with one stone. Nobody watches it anyways, lol.

LarryNJ
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't see how it could be worse than Hawaii. Many of the SB players blew it off anyhow and no one watched the damn thing. The ticket sales and I'm sure the ratings will be much higher as will the revenues for the NFL, so I think it was a very good move for them. It may not be great but other than baseball all the All-Star games are a joke.

Bens arm was hanging at the end of that game so I'm sure he's not fit to play.

Zachintosh66
01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
other than baseball all the All-Star games are a joke.

They all are a waste of time... however i do watch Hockey and Basketball's skills comps and i HATE basketball.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Hell.. just do it like the NHL or MLB.. stick it right smack in the middle of the season. Then that's everyones 'bye' week. Kill two birds with one stone. Nobody watches it anyways, lol.

That's what a lot of people think too, myself included, and I would guess the only thing holding them back other than the NFL being stubborn is that you'd only get a handful of games to get player stats to decide who goes. Since the season is only 17 weeks you'll only get about 6 weeks worth of stats before you have to announce who goes, to give the players time to plan to be there and still get a practice in before the game and all that.

Either way the whole thing is just pretty much pointless anymore, why not just give the best players a free trip to Hawaii and call it a day..LOL

lloydfan4life
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Actually, I always looked forward to watching the Pro-Bowl in Hawaii. It's like a last gasp of the NFL before the long off-season.

This crap of putting it before the Super Bowl is just ridiculous. The ONLY reason they did it was for revenue for the NFL. They expect it to bring much more $$ by making it a part of what they refer to as 'Super Bowl Week'.

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
He did what ? Well...umm , no way ...well thats , damn, i can't believe it . Harrison turned down a trip to the white house..., OMG , these Steeler players . LOL

LarryNJ
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
This crap of putting it before the Super Bowl is just ridiculous. The ONLY reason they did it was for revenue for the NFL. They expect it to bring much more $$ by making it a part of what they refer to as 'Super Bowl Week'.

Other than the players on the 2 best teams not being involved. Why is it any more ridiculous than the way it was? The NFL is a business, of course they did it to make money. It also brings all the top players to the Super Bowl giving the media that many more people to interview! :lol:

Callax
01-21-2010, 04:03 AM
I have not watched the PRO BOWL since Jack Lambert got kicked out of the game in 1983?
1984?
that shows my age
But that was a hoot!!!!

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-21-2010, 04:47 AM
For real man , Ben is just pissed off cuz he did not get a chance to win another ring !
He might need an extra one , who knows ? I heard he hired a lawyer to carry his bags .
The Lawyer was busy at the time of the Pro Bowl , and could not carry them , so of course Ben had to decline . He just wants to let this year behind him , and take his break ,and concentrate on next season . He wants to play for a powerhouse team , and he knows all the weapons he has . Just a little break from football will do him good .He will just go play some golf instead . If only his lawyer wouldn't have been busy . LOL

Blazedby92
01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
They could of just put it AFTER the SB and it would of been fine for me but I guess I could care less about the Popularity Bowl anymore.

floodcitygirl
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
It would have been fun to see Ben play but if he isn't healthy, of course he's not gonna risk further injury in a meaningless game.

Captcoolhand
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Roethlisberger's contract was renegotiated in the spring and the deal included $25.2 million in signing bonus and a base wage of $2.5 million. His salary goes up to $4.75M next year, to $8.05M in 2010 and stays at $11.6M each year thereafter through 2014. He'll earn $12.1M in 2015, the contract's end year, when he will be 35.
He's won 2 SB, been to the Pro Bowl already, Made 296K a game this past season.....Why in the hell would you want to go play for and extra $25,000 for? I don't blame the guy. :2cents:

SteelCityKid5
01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
It shows how much players care about the Pro Bowl. The Pro Bowl is irrelevant. They should just have an All-Pro team and then possibly a skills competition in between the Super Bowl. I bet the skills competition would get a better rating than the Pro Bowl.

Sir Blitzelot
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
My guess is that next season The NFL will take the Pro Bowl back to it's old format. It's the only way the league will get more players to participate IMO.

GoBenGo
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I agree with all here. NFL perpetuAtes the pee bowls irrelevance by scheduling before super bowl eliminating any player from a championship team. They move it to Miami to allow more fan access. Players now look forward to vacay in lovely Miami rather than Hawaii. Heck why not have it in the beginning of the year. Lol.

Zachintosh66
01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
i like it before the super bowl... that makes the super bowl the last game of the year.

As far as hawaii or super bowl city or whatever... im pretty indifferent, doesnt matter to me. I see the sense in the players wanting hawaii and the NFL wanting it to be in the super bowl city. however i dont really care.

Im not wooried either about the super bowl players not being invovled... damn near a 1/4 of the rosters back out anyways (brady, every year etc.) by doing this i think it kinda offsets the "popularity contest" and offers more people to be "pro-bowlers" IE: Matt Schaub and Big Ben this year. They had great years but in the same conference as Brady and Manning, those other cats have a very narrow window to get in b/c brady and manning will be voted in until the end of time.

Personally, i say bring back the skill comps, those are more exciting than the game itself. Maybe they should attach a little incentive. Like who ever wins gets thier conference rep gets to be home team (choice of uni) in the super bowl.

GoBenGo
01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
could just play themselves on madden...they could have it in Dallas... Fans vould watch via Jonesvision.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
My guess is that next season The NFL will take the Pro Bowl back to it's old format. It's the only way the league will get more players to participate IMO.

In 2011 and 2012, the PB will be back in Hawaii. If I remember right they are going to alternate between the super bowl site and Hawaii, for the immediate future. As far as the timing of it goes, I would think they are going to try and keep it before the super bowl if it works out to their liking.

steelersbabex25
01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
It shows how much players care about the Pro Bowl. The Pro Bowl is irrelevant. They should just have an All-Pro team and then possibly a skills competition in between the Super Bowl. I bet the skills competition would get a better rating than the Pro Bowl.

I don't know about anyone else, but I never really watch the probowl. I do however watch the skills competitions once they've aired on NFL network. I find the skills competition much more entertaining..

kgreen
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I have not watched the PRO BOWL since Jack Lambert got kicked out of the game in 1983?
1984?
that shows my age
But that was a hoot!!!!

haha Jack Lambert got kicked out of a Pro Bowl? :lol:That's great.:tt02:

LarryNJ
01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't remember that. I remember him getting ejected a couple of times for "late" not really late hits against the Browns though.

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2010, 09:34 PM

No way, how would you like it when Ben starts it, and gets hurt in a meanlingless game in the middle of the season?

SnakeEyes43
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I didn't realize Joey hurt his shoulder that bad...I think it happned when Porter rolled over on his shoulder, right? I forgot about that....hmmm maybe it's okay then that we didn't make the post-season. IDK.