PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for the Tomlin haters!

LatrobePA
01-16-2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_662552.html

I personally think he's a keeper!! This season will only make him better!

Zachintosh66
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
IMO i dont think there are many Tomlin haters... several may not agree with his keeping BA or his "unleash-ing hell", but not many haters. He should be extended, no questions about it. He did win us a Super Bowl 12 months ago. Sorry to disappoint you Latrobe.

LatrobePA
01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
IMO i dont think there are many Tomlin haters... several may not agree with his keeping BA or his "unleash-ing hell", but not many haters. He should be extended, no questions about it. He did win us a Super Bowl 12 months ago. Sorry to disappoint you Latrobe.

Trust me there are haters on here! It's funny how there are certain posters out here that love to prove everyone wrong, you my man are one! lol

Zachintosh66
01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Do you need a hug?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Anybody who really thinks Tomlin isn't a good coach really should have their head examined. He's got a learning curve as well, and this season was definitely a learning experience for him. You can't make a determination on a Pittsburgh head coach like that until you see how he handles the adversity of an offseason following a disappointing previous regular campaign. Let's face it, Tomlin inherited a pretty good team from Cowher and some of his draft picks have worked out pretty good far with guys like Timmons, Wood, Wallace, and hopefully Hood as well. He also inherited a team with some aging veterans that will need to either step up or be replaced. He has a lot of work to do, but so far this offseason he's shown the idea that changes need to be made. We all want Arians out, but that's probably not going to happen right now, so let's just hope the changes that are made work out for us.

This offseason and the 2010 regular season will go a long way to seeing how good of a coach Tomlin can really be.

Big T
01-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you need a hug?

I wouldn't mind one.......

K Train
01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
hes a good coach, but hes weak when it comes to admitting failure or firing staff....arians has no business on this coaching staff, 3/5ths of the oline has no business being a starter in the nfl. he needs 3-4 year deal but he has to show improvements as a coach and learn from prior mistakes otherwise hes just a black bill cowher

andyg1984
01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
we will have an idea how valuable he is once he has to start making tough staffing decisions regarding the team that BC built .. we will know how valuable he is when they have to play the following year ..

sort of tough to say much about tomlin now imo, except that he is likely above average but he certainly has not had the time nor done anything to show that he is in the great category

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess I'm a hater if still have some questions about Tomlin as an NFL HC......lol I don't think he is a terrible HC at but I don't know if he is a great HC either....Next season will be a telling season for Tomlin...I personally would wait to extend him after next year but that isn't how the Rooney's like to do things.....I also have no problem with him being extended now....He deserves it......

jcloss23
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Winning a super bowl as the youngest coach ever in his 2cd year with the franchise earned this for him, only thing that i'd like to see is better in game adjustments

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh there are definitely questions surrounding Tomlin; like we're talking about this upcoming offseason and upcoming campaign will go a long way to finding out exactly what he's going to be. If start out with virtually the same roster then there's a red flag right away. His draft picks are going to have to pan out, and not just the day 1 picks either but he needs to hit on some of the day 2 picks as well. This team has a good mix of youth and veteran leadership but key positions are getting old or just not performing and he's got to find good replacements.

As far as coaches go, we'll have some new blood on the staff, that much we know already, but I keep scratching my head wondering what in hell he sees in Arians that keeps him around. This team fails at key points in the game week in and week out, that points back to game planning as much as it does player execution.

Tomlin needs to take this team and run with it; give him a new deal but let's make sure we get better where we need it.

harpo
01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
It's a good thing the Rooneys are running things and not the fans. :tt02:

K Train
01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
It's a good thing the Rooneys are running things and not the fans. :tt02:

thanks for your input

BlackGold4vr
01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
How quickly people forget about the Schottenheimer lite coaching style of Bill Cowher and the choking in big games. I'm happy with Tomlin and there are not a lot of coaches that I would trade him for. Nobody wins the S.B. every year and it takes a down year every now and then to restock the team with talent in the draft. Remember that Roethlisberger was a 10th pick overall as a result of a Cowher bad year. Nobody was calling for his head that I can remember. The decision to keep Arians is probably not entirely up to the H.C. We all know that Ben is a huge advocate of Arians and that might have had something to do with his retention as well. My issues with any coaches are when they begin to allow their personal relationships with their players to cloud the decisions that must be made to keep the best talent on the field and on the team.

:2cents:

NYCsteelersfan
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM

Certified Tomlin hater right here. So Latrobe was referring to at least one individual for certain.

Anybody who really thinks Tomlin isn't a good coach really should have their head examined.

He's definitely a good coach, just not a head coach. And anyone who really thinks that a good part of the reason for Tomlin being given the job to begin with had nothing to do with the rule that promotes interviewing African Americans for the head coaching position being named after our team's owner should definitely have their head examined.

But if he can show much needed improvement this season. I can care less if he got signed cause he told Rooney that he knows a Leprechaun.

This offseason and the 2010 regular season will go a long way to seeing how good of a coach Tomlin can really be.

I agree, and the extension should be held off until he proves wther or not he's the real deal by getting the Steelers into the playoffs and winning at least one playoff game. An extension otherwise would be as foolish as it was signing him.

hes a good coach, but hes weak when it comes to admitting failure or firing staff

Which are pretty much requirments for a head coach and that's why he's proving worthless as time goes by.

but he has to show improvements as a coach and learn from prior mistakes otherwise hes just a black bill cowher

Except Tomlin has always had and always will have the benefit of a probowl QB while Bill Cowher might as well have had you as his starting QB.

K Train
01-17-2010, 12:06 AM
id kill it as a QB, im basically pro ready.

im not a tomlin hater, not a doubter either...he needs to show some improvements and for god sakes not waste these great draft picks we are getting. last year was the worst draft class ive ever seen by this team, especially at the top. wallace is the ONLY player that will ever amount to anything more than a backup

so are you a certified tomlin hater and a bill cowher advocate? cause thats *** backwards imo...cowher was a great motivator but a terrible gameplanner and let all relationships with players take over thus holding the team back

Big T
01-17-2010, 12:11 AM
He's definitely a good coach, just not a head coach. And anyone who really thinks that a good part of the reason for Tomlin being given the job to begin with had nothing to do with the rule that promotes interviewing African Americans for the head coaching position being named after our team's owner should definitely have their head examined.

the rule states that you only have to interview a minority candidate...it doesn't say you have to hire one....they didn't hire him just because he's black....

K Train
01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
im not a huge tomlin fan, im not convinced that whisenhunt or ron rivera wouldnt have won a superbowl with the kind of foundation this team HAD, but you sound like just another ignorant rah rah steeler smashmouth football fan....and i little racist i might add.

its cool, im a fan of a team that has alot of those fans, especially when they win 2 superbowls in 4 years, everyones the biggest fan in the world when that happens.

if you REALLY think cowher is a better coach than tomlin you are wrong, you are just buying into the hype of him running up and down the sidelines yelling and spitting on people and how the media rides him into the sunset as such a great coach and you just completely ignore his 15 years of shortcomings.

Zachintosh66
01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Certified Tomlin hater right here. So Latrobe was referring to at least one individual for certain.

Quite actually Im far from a Tomlin hater. I like the guy, I just find his interviews and Tomlin-isms funny at times b/c he tries so hard to say the right things.

Now BA there is a totally different story... I cant stand the air he breathes.

Generally Im refered to as a steelers "homer" (just ask K Train :)) In my eyes were the best in the world when winning and a bunch of bums when losing, i try not to get too caught up into the whirlwind of FA (or lack there of) or drafts. I figure thats what the FO gets pd for, is to figure that crap out while all of us fans bitch about it on the internet. I dont like to judge guys before they have even put on the uniform yet, but even that optimism couldnt save AQ Shipley or Urbik this year. :lol:

Big T
01-17-2010, 01:10 AM
and a little racist i might add.

you weren't the only one thinking that...

NYCsteelersfan
01-17-2010, 01:41 AM
the rule states that you only have to interview a minority candidate...it doesn't say you have to hire one....they didn't hire him just because he's black....

The fact is the rule is made to increase African American hirings. The rule is named after the Steelers owner and we never even sniffed an African American head coach before Tomlin. It appeared that the person the rule was named after didn't believe in the concept of the rule and a big part of hiring Tomlin was meant to change that appearance.

im not a huge tomlin fan, im not convinced that whisenhunt or ron rivera wouldnt have won a superbowl with the kind of foundation this team HAD, but you sound like just another ignorant rah rah steeler smashmouth football fan....and i little racist i might add.

its cool, im a fan of a team that has alot of those fans, especially when they win 2 superbowls in 4 years, everyones the biggest fan in the world when that happens.

if you REALLY think cowher is a better coach than tomlin you are wrong, you are just buying into the hype of him running up and down the sidelines yelling and spitting on people and how the media rides him into the sunset as such a great coach and you just completely ignore his 15 years of shortcomings.

Eh I expected to be called a racist with a comment like that in this day and age. Say something that ends with "cause he's a white" and it's true. Say something that ends with "cause he's black" and you're a racist. Truth is I could care less if the head coach was a Al Sharpton, as long as he was doing a good job. And I could care less if our QB was Dixon instead of Roethlisberger, as long as he did a good job. My only preference is to do good.

But I know that who ever truly believes there is no correlation between the Rooney rule and the Steelers hiring an African American head coach who came out of nowhere is living in a fantasy world.

And I don't ignore Cowher's supposed 15 years of shortcomings. I just pay attention to his 9 years of winning division title after division title and playoff game after playoff game with QB's who were barely first string on any other teams in the league. As of right now, you would have to be crazy to think that Cowher ISN'T better than Tomlin. Omar Epps can't even bring himself to fire a measly offensive coordinator who is ruining the offense and getting the probowl QB killed. It's a simple personnel change that any head coach could've made and would've made in the blink of an eye and this guy is proving completely incapable of doing so.

I've said it before, I'll reserve final judgement on Tomlin for the end of next season. If we miss the playoffs next season OR fail to win a single playoff game then I will conclude he sucks nuts and won the 2008 Superbowl riding the coattails of Cowher's team. (And like you I'm fairly confident Wisenhunt or Rivera would've won 2008 or 2007 with that team) If we make the playoffs and win one game then I'll lay off of him.

Quite actually Im far from a Tomlin hater. I like the guy, I just find his interviews and Tomlin-isms funny at times b/c he tries so hard to say the right things.

I was referring to myself as being a Tomlin hater, not you :tt02:

--- Added 1/17/2010 at 12:41 AM ---

you weren't the only one thinking that...

Racists aren't the only ignorant people. People who think that anyone who says something bad about a person of non-white ethnicity is automatically a racist are equally ignorant if not more so.

DanRooney
01-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Anybody who really thinks Tomlin isn't a good coach really should have their head examined. He's got a learning curve as well, and this season was definitely a learning experience for him. You can't make a determination on a Pittsburgh head coach like that until you see how he handles the adversity of an offseason following a disappointing previous regular campaign. Let's face it, Tomlin inherited a pretty good team from Cowher and some of his draft picks have worked out pretty good far with guys like Timmons, Wood, Wallace, and hopefully Hood as well. He also inherited a team with some aging veterans that will need to either step up or be replaced. He has a lot of work to do, but so far this offseason he's shown the idea that changes need to be made. We all want Arians out, but that's probably not going to happen right now, so let's just hope the changes that are made work out for us.

I don't think he's a good coach or a bad coach. I honestly don't know what the hell he does. LeBeau is obviously the defensive mastermind and Ben and Arians control the offense. The jury is still out on Tomlin in my opinion. His second year he wins a SB of course and helps by taking an abysmal special coverage to first in the league then proceeds to make them worse than they were originally the next year (but takes the return game from worst to pretty damn good with Logan). I feel like he had a good draft with in 2007, an ok one in 2008 minus Sweed, and what looks like a terrible one in '09. He's obviously not really good with challenges. I'm taking a wild guess and gonna say he's about 3 for 10 on them or something on the lines of that. When most of Cowher's older guys are no longer starters or gone (Ward, Farrior, Hampton, Aaron Smith and Clark), we'll actually see how good he is.

LarryNJ
01-17-2010, 06:58 AM
id kill it as a QB, im basically pro ready.

The Browns need a QB. :greengrin:

andyg1984
01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
you would agree that BC was a better evaluator of talent tho, right?

i want to see tomlin do something with his own players b4 i even out him in the same tier- despite the shortcomings of BC we were/are all aware of ..

JensK
01-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Jury is still out. He did coach the team to a SB, but not with any of his own players (those he actually drafted did not contribute one bit that year).

TEEMONT
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
The fact is the rule is made to increase African American hirings. The rule is named after the Steelers owner and we never even sniffed an African American head coach before Tomlin. It appeared that the person the rule was named after didn't believe in the concept of the rule and a big part of hiring Tomlin was meant to change that appearance.

Eh I expected to be called a racist with a comment like that in this day and age. Say something that ends with "cause he's a white" and it's true. Say something that ends with "cause he's black" and you're a racist. Truth is I could care less if the head coach was a Al Sharpton, as long as he was doing a good job. And I could care less if our QB was Dixon instead of Roethlisberger, as long as he did a good job. My only preference is to do good.

But I know that who ever truly believes there is no correlation between the Rooney rule and the Steelers hiring an African American head coach who came out of nowhere is living in a fantasy world.

And I don't ignore Cowher's supposed 15 years of shortcomings. I just pay attention to his 9 years of winning division title after division title and playoff game after playoff game with QB's who were barely first string on any other teams in the league. As of right now, you would have to be crazy to think that Cowher ISN'T better than Tomlin. Omar Epps can't even bring himself to fire a measly offensive coordinator who is ruining the offense and getting the probowl QB killed. It's a simple personnel change that any head coach could've made and would've made in the blink of an eye and this guy is proving completely incapable of doing so.

I've said it before, I'll reserve final judgement on Tomlin for the end of next season. If we miss the playoffs next season OR fail to win a single playoff game then I will conclude he sucks nuts and won the 2008 Superbowl riding the coattails of Cowher's team. (And like you I'm fairly confident Wisenhunt or Rivera would've won 2008 or 2007 with that team) If we make the playoffs and win one game then I'll lay off of him.

I was referring to myself as being a Tomlin hater, not you :tt02:

--- Added 1/17/2010 at 12:41 AM ---

Racists aren't the only ignorant people. People who think that anyone who says something bad about a person of non-white ethnicity is automatically a racist are equally ignorant if not more so.

I don't think I can really disagree with much of anything he said.

harpo
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
thanks for your input

You're welcome.

Ironman
01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Love Tomlin, but to be honest his dumbass needs to stay the f*ck away from Lane Kiffin

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7572/kiffinandtomlin.jpg

harpo
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I like Coach Tomlin. I think he is a fine coach but it's too early in his career to call him "great". That's a word that is used too loosely nowadays. There's not that many "great" coaches in the league today, if any. But I give the man credit. He coached this team to a 12-4 record while playing one of (if not THE) hardest schedules in NFL history AND led them to a Super Bowl....and WON it in only his second year. Contrary to popular opinion, i'm not convinced that Whiz or anyone else would've done the same thing with this team. It's also something that we'll never know.

I don't agree with every decision he makes or everything he says but he's the coach and I support him and this team (even if I don't want Bruce Arians as the OC). I'm sure that when Tomlin took over as HC he knew there would be those who would not support him for various reasons. However, I seriously doubt that he's losing sleep over what the fans who don't support him, thinks of him. It all comes down to what the Rooneys think of him. If they want to extend him long term, i'm all for it.

Jury is still out. He did coach the team to a SB, but not with any of his own players (those he actually drafted did not contribute one bit that year).

He drafted LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. They certainly contributed to the team's success during that SB run.

Love Tomlin, but to be honest his dumbass needs to stay the f*ck away from Lane Kiffin

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7572/kiffinandtomlin.jpg

LMAO:lol:

JensK
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
He drafted LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. They certainly contributed to the team's success during that SB run.

LMAO:lol:

Lol, sorry. My mind was one year ahead of the real events >.> however, i would only say that woodley was. Timmons was a first round pick, and could not start over Foote.

harpo
01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Lol, sorry. My mind was one year ahead of the real events >.> however, i would only say that woodley was. Timmons was a first round pick, and could not start over Foote.

Understood and I agree with you about Timmons not able to start over Foote. However, Timmons had 5 sacks in a limited role. He definitely contributed which is why a lot of people weren't concerned about Foote not resigning with the team. They thought Timmons would come right in and not miss a beat. How wrong they were, right? :-)

But to be fair, Timmons' natural position is OLB, which is why he struggles playing the middle. To be honest, I would rather see him playing the outside but I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially since LaMarr Woodley is such a beast on the outside.

Zachintosh66
01-17-2010, 01:30 PM

But i was common knowledge Timmons would of started over Foote this year which is why Foote wanted to be released...

JensK
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
But i was common knowledge Timmons would of started over Foote this year which is why Foote wanted to be released...

Sure, im aware of that, but as Harpo said, the draft did not make too much sense seeing Timmons is playing out of position, and took 3 years to take over the starting role. Lets not dwell about it though - Its been discussed to death already.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Tomlin is in the safest coaching job in professional sports... period! He will have fall into legal trubles or string together 2 or three more seasons like this to even think he will be in jeopardy of losing his job!

I dont care how he got the job, im just glad he did! He brings fresh ideals to a ol'school team! I would have loved to have seen Wiz here as HC too because i think he would have done the same thing! Grimm would have been a big mistake, sorry... but he's oline coach or bust here!

I love all the people who still seem confused WHY Bruce Arians is still here! Thats funny to me! We have a top 3 QB with 2 SB-MVP Wrs, a Probowl caliber TE and a guy in Wallace who is gonna be a star! Mendehal was a 1,000 yard rusher and could probley add another 300-500 yards and 20 recs next year starting the entire season. This offense is just getting started, and thats thanks to Arians!!!

Yes he needs to make better calls on short yardage and red-zone plays, we all know that. But really, how much more do you want us to run the ball? It's quality not quantity! They need to make more of the running plays given to them!! And personel-wise, Mendenhal should be a everydown back with either Parker or MeMo as his back-up. I think thats what you saw more of late in the season and less "2 Back System"!

Ben has had his three best years under Arians, and Ben is the franchise.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Tomlin is in the safest coaching job in professional sports... period! He will have fall into legal trubles or string together 2 or three more seasons like this to even think he will be in jeopardy of losing his job!

I dont care how he got the job, im just glad he did! He brings fresh ideals to a ol'school team! I would have loved to have seen Wiz here as HC too because i think he would have done the same thing! Grimm would have been a big mistake, sorry... but he's oline coach or bust here!

I love all the people who still seem confused WHY Bruce Arians is still here! Thats funny to me! We have a top 3 QB with 2 SB-MVP Wrs, a Probowl caliber TE and a guy in Wallace who is gonna be a star! Mendehal was a 1,000 yard rusher and could probley add another 300-500 yards and 20 recs next year starting the entire season. This offense is just getting started, and thats thanks to Arians!!!

Yes he needs to make better calls on short yardage and red-zone plays, we all know that. But really, how much more do you want us to run the ball? It's quality not quantity! They need to make more of the running plays given to them!! And personel-wise, Mendenhal should be a everydown back with either Parker or MeMo as his back-up. I think thats what you saw more of late in the season and less "2 Back System"!

Very nice post sir....I agree 100 percent with everything you said.......BA isn't the next Bill Walsh when it comes to offensive football but he isn't the worst OC in the history of the NFL either.....I'm all for keeping the offense in place and that goes for the OC as well......I do think if the Steelers ever decided to upgrade the OL that would be huge help to BA........

steelcitysfinestXL
01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Very nice post sir....I agree 100 percent with everything you said.......BA isn't the next Bill Walsh when it comes to offensive football but he isn't the worst OC in the history of the NFL either.....I'm all for keeping the offense in place and that goes for the OC as well......I do think if the Steelers ever decided to upgrade the OL that would be huge help to BA........

I think that FO and the Coaching Staff are very happy with the people they have at O-line, call me crazy, but i think they really like what they have! So as far as improvements, well we will have to PRAY they come from coaching and time! OR a diamond in the from a 3rd+ round draft pick!

Zachintosh66
01-18-2010, 12:22 AM
ok ok... i thinkscfxl is spot on... but still wouldnt mind a OT, so we could bump Colon inside to G. Kemo, Hartwig, Colon... would be a nice core of a line.

NYCsteelersfan
01-18-2010, 01:43 AM

And we also didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs in 2 of those 3 years. I guess Arians is great if you want to draft Roethlisberger for fantasy football or if you watch ESPN all day.

K Train
01-18-2010, 03:16 AM
i dont get why making it out of the first round is so important to you, getting eliminated in the second or 3rd round is just as big of a failure. you cant win the superbowl every year, but winning one playoff game certainly isnt the goal

steelcitysfinestXL
01-18-2010, 03:19 AM
And we also didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs in 2 of those 3 years. I guess Arians is great if you want to draft Roethlisberger for fantasy football or if you watch ESPN all day.

And how much of that do you blame on the offense 2 of those three years!?!?! Not to mention, those years sandwiched a Superbowl win! You dont fire a OC afer a Superbowl! You dont fire and OC when his offense was 7th in the league for total offense. You dont fire an OC when its you defense that gave up a lead in the 4th quarter of just about eveygame!!!! Why arent you saying "FIRE DICK LEBEAU"!?!?!? I know why you dont say it... cause that would be an original thought!!:yellowthumb:

harpo
01-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Very nice post. :yellowthumb:

NYCsteelersfan
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
i dont get why making it out of the first round is so important to you, getting eliminated in the second or 3rd round is just as big of a failure. you cant win the superbowl every year, but winning one playoff game certainly isnt the goal

Because simply getting there and not winning a single game is utterly pointless. In addition, the team you play in the first round is usually not one of the better playoff teams. So if you lose, you're probably losing to one of the shittier playoff teams, which there is less excuse for, like Jacksonville in 2007. Yes losing in the second or third round ends up being a waste also, but not pointless. I know you can't win the SB every year, which is why I don't care too much about this year's failure, although seeing the Jets in the AFC Championship makes me think about how easily we could've made a return to the SB.

And how much of that do you blame on the offense 2 of those three years!?!?! Not to mention, those years sandwiched a Superbowl win! You dont fire a OC afer a Superbowl! You dont fire and OC when his offense was 7th in the league for total offense. You dont fire an OC when its you defense that gave up a lead in the 4th quarter of just about eveygame!!!! Why arent you saying "FIRE DICK LEBEAU"!?!?!? I know why you dont say it... cause that would be an original thought!!:yellowthumb:

How many INT's did Roethlisberger throw in the 2007 playoffs? Oh yeah, but it wasn;t the offenses fault we lost that game.

San Diego was 10th in total offense and the Patriots were 3rd in total offense and both got shut down because there offenses were completely one-dimensional, just like ours.

You have to have somwehat of a balanced offense. You need a strong rushing game to be able to create long, strenous drives, beating down the other teams defense and letting your own defense rest. If you still don't realize that then you spend too much time in your Fantasy football league and getting your football knowledge from Stuart Scott and Chris Berman.

K Train
01-18-2010, 12:53 PM
meh, losing in the first round of the playoffs just means you get a better draft pick and much less of a heart break than the team that loses the superbowl....winning one is meaninless if you dont win them all, i think this team would have done damage in the playoffs this year if they snuck in, but in reality they should have beaten the browns, the chiefs, the raiders and ravens and the bengals for that matter....all heart breakers, some times the ball doesnt bounce your way though

NYCsteelersfan
01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
meh, losing in the first round of the playoffs just means you get a better draft pick and much less of a heart break than the team that loses the superbowl....winning one is meaninless if you dont win them all, i think this team would have done damage in the playoffs this year if they snuck in, but in reality they should have beaten the browns, the chiefs, the raiders and ravens and the bengals for that matter....all heart breakers, some times the ball doesnt bounce your way though

I agree with you to some degree. But based on your initial point of not being able to win the SB every year, well let's be honest, we can't win it every other year or even every three years either. It just won't happen. So let's say in a somewhat realistic yet perfect world, we win the SB every 5 or 6 years. Would you rather not even make the playoffs between each SB victory since you know you're not going to win the SB in those years?

Basically for me, getting in the playoffs, and winning some playoff games is what keeps me interested and hungry for the next SB victory, whenever it may be.

ejsteeler
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Barring some unforseen tragedy or major screw up, Tomlin will be around as long as he wants to be. I'm still pulling for him. :yellowthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
01-19-2010, 12:53 AM
You have to have somwehat of a balanced offense. You need a strong rushing game to be able to create long, strenous drives, beating down the other teams defense and letting your own defense rest. If you still don't realize that then you spend too much time in your Fantasy football league and getting your football knowledge from Stuart Scott and Chris Berman.

Im glad to see you read "Football for Dummies" and decided to school me about offenses and defenses. What Team were you watching all year! You cant be serious... The team ran the ball enough times, just not effectively! Thats what im saying! You just dont listen! We won a Super Bowl last year with Mewelde Moore at running back... how: By playing lights out defense and using the pass to set up the run! If you can say we "Had a strong rushing game" and "created long streunous drives" at all last year, you're lying to yourself! We threw the defense in a hole tons last year and they shut teams down. This year they didnt!

The point was, your ranting about firing an OC that has 2 playoffs births and a Super Bowl win in his first three years as a OC! Look at the year the o had with a patch work line and poor production from their depth at running back. We have a top tier Qb for the first time since Bradshaw! WE ARE GOING TO THROW THE BALL! Get used to it... Stuart Scott didnt tell me that, i actually watch all the games! Have my whole life!

--- Added 1/18/2010 at 11:53 PM ---

:yellowthumb: Losing to the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs ruined my week! Losing playoff games takes a week off of my life! I hate losing playoffs games, yeah NYC its fun to be in the race... but every few years its nice to have a draft pick in the teens and give a Heart a well needed rest!

Zachintosh66
01-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Stuart Scott didnt tell me that, i actually watch all the games!

:tt02::lol:

coldrolled
01-19-2010, 01:12 AM

:cope::cope::cope::cope:

LarryNJ
01-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Stuart Scott didnt tell me that, i actually watch all the games! Have my whole life!

:lol:

I think there's too many shows on now, pregame, post game, halftime. We don't need them all. I vote for keeping the pre and post game shows and for halftime lets see more cheerleaders! :greengrin:

NYCsteelersfan
01-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Im glad to see you read "Football for Dummies" and decided to school me about offenses and defenses.

Hey, it's the least someone knowledgeable can do for someone obviously not knowledgeable. We also won the Superbowl in 2005 with virtually the exact same team except we had a different head coach and offensive coordinator and a QB who had the most dispicable QB rating of any QB on the winning Superbowl team. We still won though right?

Cowher and Wisenhunt had Roethlisberger for 3 years (1 AFC Championship game in his rookie year and a Superbowl the following year, final year doesn't really count cause he had a life-threatening motorcycle accident before the season and an emergency apendectomy during the season).

Tomlin and Arians have had Roethlisberger for 3 years (wild card round elimination to a miserable Jagaurs team in the first year, Superbowl victory won by Roethlisberger and Cowher and Lebeau's defense in the second year, and a medicore 9-7 season and playoff miss this past season).

We'll see what Tomlin and Arians add to that resume next season with the same game plan.

We have a top tier Qb for the first time since Bradshaw! WE ARE GOING TO THROW THE BALL! Get used to it... Stuart Scott didnt tell me that, i actually watch all the games! Have my whole life!

We have a top tier QB for the first time since Bradshaw, that's great. I'm very happy for you, your fantasy team, Roethlisberger, and all his female groupies. Too bad I'm going to be watching the Jets play the Colts in the AFC Championship game this week while Arians and Roethlisberger get ready to light up the stats next season while the team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs.