PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Dennis Dixon

xxxsteelernation
01-15-2010, 01:06 PM
For you steeler fans that did not get to watch him in college or those who did, from the ravens game what was your impressions? (I often refer to him as Double D, since i'm a huge ducks fan, that was the nickname given to him.)

Silverback
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Honestly, he looked just like a young QB, made a few plays and showed some potential but nothing concrete, as he still made the big mistake, and never really got into a rhythm throwing the ball.

andyg1984
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
cannot find the link right now, but did any1 else hear about some "wild-cat like" plays being drawn up that involved Wallace, Dixon and Mendy ??

Blazedby92
01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
IMO, I believe he did a really good job for not knowing he was going to start 24 hrs before the game and being that young. I think he would have done better if we would have run the ball more but we know that story.
Future looks good

jcloss23
01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
the man played very well, 9-11 in the first half he just lost it in the 2cd, he will be a starter somewhere in a year or two

steelersbabex25
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
He did okay for playing in his one pro football game. But, I definitely doubt that he'll be starting anywhere anytime soon. The only way he'll play for the Steelers again is if he gets the same situation that he got this year. Teams won't get to see much more of him, and honestly, I don't really think many other teams are looking for a starting qb right now.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
He did okay for playing in his one pro football game. But, I definitely doubt that he'll be starting anywhere anytime soon. The only way he'll play for the Steelers again is if he gets the same situation that he got this year. Teams won't get to see much more of him, and honestly, I don't really think many other teams are looking for a starting qb right now.

QB's are always in demand.......I think the Seahawks, Rams, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Raiders all could be looking for a QB......The Vikings and Cardinals could be looking depending if both Favre/Warner retire.....Jackson and Leinart both looked shaky in their limited time with their respective teams.....I would even think the 49ers could be looking for a QB despite Alex Smith playing decent this year......

But still Dixon hasn't shown enough to warrant teams to trade for him....But that could change if Dixon plays lights out in the pre-season.....Overall I was impressed with Dixon in his lone start this year.....I think he could develop into a solid backup QB and really should be the Steelers number 2 QB next year.....

75Steeler
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I thought he played well for being thrown into the mix. I hope the steelers hold on to him and try to develop him into a strong 2nd string QB. I doubt Batch has many years left with us.

DanRooney
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Nobody is going to trade for Dixon. He threw for 145 yards. He had a very pedestrian game as we hid him back there for the longest time. I'm not even comfortable with him being our backup. I'd rather they put him in the offense situationally like Miami does with (the horrible) Pat White and pick up Leftwich again.

andyg1984
01-15-2010, 07:35 PM
those listed teams above may be the more obvious looking for QB's, but there are really only 12-16 QB's that are capable of winning a super bowl, so i would put the number of teams looking for QB's at 32 less that range in reality, but when it comes down to it there are only so many out there so it is more of a matter i guess of that many want QB's .. but dixon is not in demand

TEEMONT
01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I like Dixon as the back-up. I think he played pretty well against the Ravens, especially for having to play in Baltimore. Give him some more time to learn the offense, and gain some confidence in himself, and I think he could really become a very solid back-up.

You know when Ben holds the ball it usually turns into a sack, with this guy, we saw the potential for it to turn into a 40 yard gain.

Stlrs4Life
01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Thought he did really well for his 1 game. And no, he will not be used in the wild cat. /see the QB for the Dolphins to see why.

steelersbabex25
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
QB's are always in demand.......I think the Seahawks, Rams, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Raiders all could be looking for a QB......The Vikings and Cardinals could be looking depending if both Favre/Warner retire.....Jackson and Leinart both looked shaky in their limited time with their respective teams.....I would even think the 49ers could be looking for a QB despite Alex Smith playing decent this year......

Haha, alright. Good point. Still think that Dixons chances of being one of those quarterbacks anytime soon is slim to none.

xxxsteelernation
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
for those who havnt' seen Double D here is some of his oregon highlights. in 2007 he only threw 4 picks the entire year and those were because the recivers had them bounce of his hands. I know that defenses in the NFL are better than in college but dixon does have an arm, and with more playing time and more exposure to nfl defenses could be an elite QB if ben retires or for another team. remember ben is prone to concussions and with the NFL cracking down on them they might have a mandatory retierment for QB who have sustained a certian number of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DeznD1ccv4

jcloss23
01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
with the amount that ben gets hurt and if he is #2 next year he will prolly get 1 or 2 starts for sure, and after his contract his up(next year i believe) he should be smart enough to go to a team that is between quarterbacksso he can compete for the starting job

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-16-2010, 10:43 AM
He has shown more reasons why he "could " be an NFL quarterback , than , why he couldn't be .Lets face it , the dude has not had a big chance yet to show what he is capable of ,or not .
One thing i did see of him is his quick decision making . In about 3 seconds , he is gonna throw , or he is gonna run . When he does either , he seems to be effective . He is still in the developemental stage at this point , and i see no reason to rush the young man . You have to put the ball in the hands of players that can make a play for the team , and i think in time we may see him doing just that . Ben has never been a quick decision maker , but he does run about 10 yards a play just scrambling around , and then is more likely to take the sack . I think the STEELERS should use dixon at least 2 plays every game . Not in the wildcat , but to try and open up a defense . Arians has the main flaw of being so predictable . There was a time when we were predictable....we line up to run , and the other team knew we were gonna run , and we would do just that . We need to go back to our roots , and the old smashmouth approach to the game ,and i think that is what we will be seeing in the future . Dixon is an athlete that should be used in our offense , even if only for a decoy . The future is bright .

WoodsonsGirl
01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I like Dixon as the back-up. I think he played pretty well against the Ravens, especially for having to play in Baltimore. Give him some more time to learn the offense, and gain some confidence in himself, and I think he could really become a very solid back-up.

I have to agree with Teemont here. Dixon was told last minute that he was going to start and under the circumstances he played well.:yellowthumb:

Blazedby92
01-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Nobody is going to trade for Dixon. He threw for 145 yards. He had a very pedestrian game as we hid him back there for the longest time. I'm not even comfortable with him being our backup. I'd rather they put him in the offense situationally like Miami does with (the horrible) Pat White and pick up Leftwich again.

Yeah I want a QB that couldn't and still can't make it as a starter and had a couple good games on a Dominant SB team. You can't hide a QB, you can limit him.

zulater
01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
For you steeler fans that did not get to watch him in college or those who did, from the ravens game what was your impressions? (I often refer to him as Double D, since i'm a huge ducks fan, that was the nickname given to him.)

Juries still out, or for that matter I don't even think the juries been given the case yet. I just hope the Steelers don't award him the back up role by default if Batch retires as many suspect he will.

Assuming the Bucs get around to releasing Byron Leftwich soon, I would hope the Steelers would make a strong effort to sign him with the understanding that he and Dennis would be affored equal opportunity to compete for the back up role.

DanRooney
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah I want a QB that couldn't and still can't make it as a starter and had a couple good games on a Dominant SB team. You can't hide a QB, you can limit him.

Yeah, because our offensive personnel was much better last year! I'd rather have a guy that threw a mediocre 60 passer rating who did absolutely nothing in the passing game with an improved OL and Mike Wallace.

GoBenGo
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I like the kid. Tremendous up side. Great compliment to Big. IMHO keep him and reap the rewards.

TampaSteelGirl
01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I like the kid. Tremendous up side. Great compliment to Big. IMHO keep him and reap the rewards.

I agree 100% here! :yellowthumb:

JollyRob68
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
He is on the last year of his contract. They need to sign him as a back up or dangle him for draft picks. They'll probably put a transition tag on him next year so they can match whatever offer he gets. I think he wants to be a starter and will leave. He would of been a first rounder if he didnt get injured.