PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire Billsí Kugler to coach O-line

Captcoolhand
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
The Steelers agreed to terms with Sean Kugler to become their offensive line coach, according to a league source.
Kugler was part of a Bills staff that has been allowed to interview for other jobs while the team searches for a new head coach. Pittsburgh, which had issues protecting the quarterback in recent years, fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein after the season.

Kugler was promoted to offensive line coach for Buffalo in January 2008 and coached left tackle Jason Peters to his second consecutive Pro Bowl. Kugler previously served as the Bills assistant offensive line coach, working primarily with the tackles.Never heard of him. :dunno:

jcloss23
01-13-2010, 10:13 PM
cant get any worse than bottom 2 in the leauge 2 years in a row, i like seeing the new name

DanRooney
01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Promoted to offensive line coach in January 2008 and tutored LT Jason Peters to his second consecutive Pro Bowl…previously served as the assistant offensive line coach, working primarily with the tackles…Peters earned his first Pro Bowl selection in 2007 and became the first Bills tackle named to the Pro Bowl since Howard Ballard in 1992…line set a team record by allowing just 26 sacks – the fewest in team history since stat became official in 1982.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/sean-kugler/b62b9ff3-e66b-432f-a998-8f8512e4525c

Hes got his work cut out with him with Starks...unless we go LT in the first round.

K Train
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
this is the guy that thought langston walker could play LT?

**** us man, **** us

DanRooney
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
this is the guy that thought langston walker could play LT?

**** us man, **** us

He drafted Eric Wood. Weren't you hyping him up in the offseason over Mack?

LatrobePA
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
He's got his work cut out with him with Starks...unless we go LT in the first round.

This guy will f'n die of old age B4 he trains that slob to do anything good on the field!

K Train
01-13-2010, 10:41 PM

i guess we cant blame an oline coach for their peters/walker catastrophe and cant give him credit for drafting wood and levitre (both of which are 10x better than urbik)

wood was playing very well at LG last year before he broke his leg, he wont have any success with this band of misfits though. kemo is ok (i guess) and i hope we keep colon but other than that essex is not terrible, starks is the most up and down player ive ever seen considering he can dominate merriman, peppers, freeney, taylor, odom one day and get schooled by a guy weve never heard of the next. and hartwig is without question the worst

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM

I was hyping Eric Wood last year before the draft and he was my favorite center from last years class......

as for the Kugler....it doesn't matter who this teams gets to coach the OL if the Steelers continue to neglect the OL......The current OL is good enough to win with but they're average at best and really need a couple elite prospects to really strengthen the unit......I just hope this new coach moves Willie Colon to OG if Colon is resigned.....The whole NFL universe can see that Colon is a better fit for OG then OT......All the reports when Colon was drafted stated he should be moved to OG in the NFL.....

Zachintosh66
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Coaching can get you only so far... "no matter how much you shine sh!t, its still sh!t"

We need talent on this squad... not several draft picks who cant even dress and a bunch of undrafted FA's who prolly wouldnt make half of the teams in the NFL.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Here is an article about the new OL coach and the shuffling he had to do this year Buffalo if any of you are interested.....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Line-shuffling-just-another-challenge-for-Kugler/438f3bb2-af99-45ad-9426-5e743883a579

igor0190
01-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Here is an article about the new OL coach and the shuffling he had to do this year Buffalo if any of you are interested.....
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Line-shuffling-just-another-challenge-for-Kugler/438f3bb2-af99-45ad-9426-5e743883a579

"He’s a blue collar kind of guy and wants us to get it down. He’s convinced that the hard work will lead us in a positive direction, and I think it has.”

I like this. And this...

"Kugler hasn’t tried to hold things together with gimmicks. The only method Buffalo’s offensive line coach knows is work. After practice Kugler often has his players spend an extra 20 minutes on technique work. Kick slides, hand punches, jump sets. They’re all repeated time and again with the belief that the pay-off will come.

And the players execute his every demand because he’s assembled players that share his mindset for the game.

“He has a certain type of player that he likes,” said Bell. “One that finishes every play, plays hard and smart.”

“He’s always reminding us that no one feels sorry for us,” said Scott. “I think it’s just a matter of going out there and busting our behinds and getting the job done. That’s what he expects and that’s what he wants.”

NCSteeler
01-14-2010, 02:59 AM
He had good talent in 2008 and his line preformed well. This past year he ad mediocre talent and it showed. I really don't know what that means, except that most people think we have average at best lineman and if that's the case, he will'nt improve them much.

2009 Line stats as epr NFL.com
QB Hits
Category ...... Bills- Steelers
QB Hits ..........2nd 17th
Sacks ........... 4th 2nd
Power rushing 30th 17th

Not sure this is some major upgrade , I hope it was just a result of a bad team

Power rushing defined as
Rush Pwr = Percentage of rushes on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go that achieved a first down or TD. Also includes rushes on 1st-and-goal and 2nd-and-goal from the opponent's 2-yard line or closer.

JensK
01-14-2010, 04:18 AM
What kind of blocking scheme does he run? Thats what im really interrested in.

just did some quick reading… they started with a new player at every position, and only one of those actually finished the season. Insane. That said i don’t know much about him as a coach.

From ESPN:

“The Bills’ offensive-line woes weren’t Kugler’s fault. They traded his best player, Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, and didn’t replace him. They cut his most experienced lineman, tackle Langston Walker, a week before the season began. His opening-night lineup had a combined 56 NFL starts among them.

Injuries hit Buffalo hard. By Week 6, Kugler’s lineup shared 47 NFL starts. At the end of the year, six offensive linemen were on injured reserve. Five of them started at least one game. Only center Geoff Hangartner started all 16 games at his position. "

I guess its alright Bills failed so badly in this season... Not much a coach can do with that.

UKSTEELER
01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Most worrying is the fact that he looks like a young Arians!!!:grin1:

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/coachcards09/kugler_s_coachcard.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
It seems like he has the right approach; the hard work, practice on technique till you get it right, just straight forward no bones about it ideals. The only potential problem I could see if he just continues to beat a dead horse for the sake of the "hard work paying off", if you know what I mean. For example, if he takes a look at Stapleton and realizes he's just not going to cut it, will he keep beating him to death in hopes that he gets it or will he advise Tomlin to cut him loose; type of thing.

Captcoolhand
01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
It seems like he has the right approach; the hard work, practice on technique till you get it right, just straight forward no bones about it ideals. The only potential problem I could see if he just continues to beat a dead horse for the sake of the "hard work paying off", if you know what I mean. For example, if he takes a look at Stapleton and realizes he's just not going to cut it, will he keep beating him to death in hopes that he gets it or will he advise Tomlin to cut him loose; type of thing.
with that thought...I was thinking maybe that's why all the Bills players ended up on IR or hurt because He over worked a guy trying to get him to do the impossible. :dunno:

harpo
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Most worrying is the fact that he looks like a young Arians!!!:grin1:

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/coachcards09/kugler_s_coachcard.jpg

LMAO :lol::hilarious::clap::grin1::lol:

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Snooping on some Bills message boards, they seem upset that he is gone.

LatrobePA
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
All the games I saw of the Bills this year their QB's were running for their life, most of them not making it!

I think he'll be a DUD!