PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign CFL Star

Black@Gold Forever32
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Doggett will be a long shot to make the team but this move sure can't hurt any since our special teams were terrible this year.....He really will have to be a special teams stand out to make the team.....I couldn't see him adding anything as a backup LB but who knows...

Winnipeg Blue Bombers special teams demon and backup linebacker Derrick Doggett signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers after working out for them on Tuesday. CFL players going into their option year are eligible to sign with NFL squads until Feb. 15. Doggett, who played his college football for at Oregon State and joined the Bombers in late July and made an immediate impact on special teams. Doggett had 27 special teams tackles in 15 games (http://www.bluebombers.com/roster/show/id/2017). He also had nine tackles, one interception and one forced fumble on defense.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2010/ ... -contract/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2010/01/steelers-sign-cfl-linebacker-derrick-doggett-to-futures-contract/)

steelersbabex25
01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Eh, why the hell not. Couldn't get much worse..

Black@Gold Forever32
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Eh, why the hell not. Couldn't get much worse..

I agree and give the kid a shot......Doggett will have to be lights out on special teams during the pre-season to make the roster....I'm rooting for him and I like to see long shots make the team.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
At this point what do we have to lose, why not.
Maybe he will be the Logan and be a beast for us out of nowhere.

DanRooney
01-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Hell yeah we got our starting ILB next to Timmons!

K Train
01-13-2010, 01:17 AM
rather than fishing through the cfl i would prefer if they went into draft day with a mind set of drafting good players that fill needs and have value at their selected spots....basically everything they didnt do last year when draft day came

except wallace, thank you for wallace

UKSTEELER
01-13-2010, 09:16 AM
He's safety size . . .

Height. 6.03. Weight. 210.

and can jump!!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/sioncampus/10/15/monday.awards/p1_oregon-state.jpg

cmerrifield
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Plus, since he was CFL, we can keep him on the practice squad for a year, and he wont count as a practice squad player, as in we still can have 8 other players for one year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
rather than fishing through the cfl i would prefer if they went into draft day with a mind set of drafting good players that fill needs and have value at their selected spots....basically everything they didnt do last year when draft day came

Fishing through the CFL for special teams guys is ok, it's when you start fishing for potential every down players that you might want to begin rethinking your strategy. The I would certainly hope they enter the draft with specific goals in mind this year; you can't just take the best player available when you have such needs at CB, OL, DL depth, specifically.

This is a big offseason for Tomlin, the guys he picks up and the changes he makes during the next 8 months will be huge. Dogget could be a diamond in the rough; with our ST he certainly can't be any worse.

LatrobePA
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Instant impact!

SteelCityKid5
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
We'll take it. I'm joining the consensus by saying he can't hurt.

tburg68
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM

When Ziggy is a Pro Bowler, and Lewis is a starting CB.

K Train
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
When Ziggy is a Pro Bowler, and Lewis is a starting CB.
evander may be out of football by them unless we switch to a 43 where hes somewhat useful....if aaron smith cant get in the pro bowl, hood will never sniff one because he really does suck.

lewis may be a starting CB, but he wont be a great one....hes pretty slow for a CB....this past draft will likely be a wash except for wallace but im real glad we got him. burnett couldnt even win the returner job, summers whiffed on every block he ever attempted and actually hurt his back by slamming his face into the ground on a whiff, shipley is gone, urbik is awful, davis johnson actually isnt bad but for a draft lets be serious it was awful, they should have drafted maualuga

LatrobePA
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
they should have drafted maualuga

Speaking of whiffs! We blew it by not snagging him, now we get to be tormented by him for years!!

K Train
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Speaking of whiffs! We blew it by not snagging him, now we get to be tormented by him for years!!

and thats what i was screaming when pick #32 came up, that was after they made me cry for not moving up and getting oher and letting him go to the ravens....but then they made it allllllll better by trading away pick 64 with gilbert still on the board, then they really made it all better by drafting urbik

:-(

coldrolled
01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

i was shouting at my boys at home, maualuga is ours... noone picked him...

then we picked hood... it was like hearing arians is staying.....

:grin1:

Big T
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
and thats what i was screaming when pick #32 came up, that was after they made me cry for not moving up and getting oher and letting him go to the ravens....but then they made it allllllll better by trading away pick 64 with gilbert still on the board, then they really made it all better by drafting urbik

:-(

Please stop this torment...everytime I hear Oher, Maualuga, Gilbert, Evander Hood, and Craig Urbik, I start to weap uncontrollably...

We are in a good position this year to grab some really good players(the good thing about having a down year)...I just hope to god they don't f*ck this one up too....they probably will though....we will take Taylor Mays in the first, Toby Gerhart in the second, and trade away our 3&4 round picks for 3 5th round picks....

coldrolled
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Please stop this torment...everytime I hear Oher, Maualuga, Gilbert, Evander Hood, and Craig Urbik, I start to weap uncontrollably...

We are in a good position this year to grab some really good players(the good thing about having a down year)...I just hope to god they don't f*ck this one up too....they probably will though....we will take Taylor Mays in the first, Toby Gerhart in the second, and trade away our 3&4 round picks for 3 5th round picks....

KC... talking taylor mays the 5th pick

read

Taylor Mays is more than that guy who can cover tons of ground, he is a player who can cover virtually more ground than almost every single safety in the NFL, and once he gets experience under his belt and knows the best angles and can better anticipate plays, there may not be another player who can touch him. This does more than allows his teammates to do their jobs, it allows virtually everybody, including the other safety, to be more aggressive everywhere.

Everybody talks about how an effective nose tackle can open up the game for the players around him. People mention how 3-4 defensive ends are supposed to allow the linebackers to become playmakers. Well as important as those players are, they are literally the first line of defense — the safety is your security blanket, and the bigger the blanket is (and under Mays, it has the potential to be huge), the more plays everybody else can make. Mays’ numbers have never been that incredible in college, but he’s still held in such high regard because of this unique capacity he brings to the table.

Rare is the opportunity when a Piano Lifter comes along that can do so much that he simply enables your defense to put less Piano Lifters on the field and more Players. Selecting Mays does more than improve your safety position, it improves both corner positions. And the inside linebackers. And the defensive line. And the pass-rushers. In the words of Bob Gretz it is a tide that can lift all boats. That’s the very definition of an impact player

what happen when troy was out... everyone suffered..

troy and mays in... wow....

K Train
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
KC... talking taylor mays the 5th pick

read

Taylor Mays is more than that guy who can cover tons of ground, he is a player who can cover virtually more ground than almost every single safety in the NFL, and once he gets experience under his belt and knows the best angles and can better anticipate plays, there may not be another player who can touch him. This does more than allows his teammates to do their jobs, it allows virtually everybody, including the other safety, to be more aggressive everywhere.

Everybody talks about how an effective nose tackle can open up the game for the players around him. People mention how 3-4 defensive ends are supposed to allow the linebackers to become playmakers. Well as important as those players are, they are literally the first line of defense ó the safety is your security blanket, and the bigger the blanket is (and under Mays, it has the potential to be huge), the more plays everybody else can make. Maysí numbers have never been that incredible in college, but heís still held in such high regard because of this unique capacity he brings to the table.

Rare is the opportunity when a Piano Lifter comes along that can do so much that he simply enables your defense to put less Piano Lifters on the field and more Players. Selecting Mays does more than improve your safety position, it improves both corner positions. And the inside linebackers. And the defensive line. And the pass-rushers. In the words of Bob Gretz it is a tide that can lift all boats. Thatís the very definition of an impact player

what happen when troy was out... everyone suffered..

troy and mays in... wow....

are you suggesting we get mays?

ugh.

troy is not a good cover safety, but hes a play maker, gets in the right position alot....mays has terrible instincts, hes not a top 20 pick imo. he can lay the crush, no doubt, he sits back 20 yards and waits to lay the big hit but thats all hes good for...he will be burned in his career twice as much as roy williams and hes twice the athlete as williams.

i could go on and on but if mays is a steeler in any way i will be furious. and i would be shocked if hes a chief, not so much if hes a seahawk with carrol taking over the job there though.

people say coach him up, and he can be great....a HUGE redflag is a premier athlete that is a 4 year starter in a pro defense on an elite team and hes still being looked at as a project....that is really a tough thing to take in, it shouldnt be like that

Callax
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM

There is not a problem going for players from the CFL... It's a step above college and a notch below NFL. If he develops into something, great!!!! If not, at least we didn't waste a draft pick on a player that couldn't cut it !!
I think it was a good pickup, who knows, maybe he could become a part time player on defense, as it has been posted out players suck (townsend, GAY, T Carter..)
IMHO!:imho:

K Train
01-13-2010, 11:37 PM
its not really a step above college, its just not amateur, its not nearly the talent pool college is

JensK
01-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Give the guy a chance i guess. He can always be cut, if he fails. Those stat of his a pretty impressive though, and last time we got something from CFL, it panned out pretty well.

I swear to god, if that happens im through with Colbert and Tomlin.

NCSteeler
01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Check his video highlights, I'm really surprised they didn't want to convert him to safety. He said in an interview that the team wanted to work him at LBer. I really think he might have got over looked coming out of college because he was small for a LB and hadn't played safety. I really think he is better suited to play safety, but he is bulking up to play LB

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2010/01/exclusive-interview-with-new-steelers-lb-derrick-doggett/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1583488aCpY2qyM
http://www.strimoo.com/video/14479546/Derrick-Doggett-safety-Veoh.html
http://www.strimoo.com/video/14479434/Derrick-Doggett-fumble-recovery-Veoh.html
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1583391aR96Q6Wq
http://vimeo.com/106105

Zachintosh66
01-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Hell yeah we got our starting ILB next to Timmons!

Stuff like this cracks me up...

ps. dont drink the kool-ade!

K Train
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
clearly he was kidding