PDA

View Full Version : A.Q. Shipley Defects

BlackGold4vr
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
MONDAY, JAN. 11

8 p.m.: Well, it appears A.Q. Shipley read the writing on the wall with the Steelers and decided to sign a futures contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The 2008 seventh-round draft pick, Shipley spent the season on the practice squad, where he stood in line at center behind Justin Hartwig, Doug Legursky and perhaps even Darnell Stapleton.

In other Steelers news today, the team announced it had interviewed everyone's favorite special teams coach, Bobby April, for the open position of special teams coordinator.

The Steelers also granted permission to the Seattle Seahawks to interview Omar Khan for their GM position. Khan is the Steelers' Business and Football Administration Coordinator.

The Steelers also granted permission to the Washington Redskins to interview defensive assistant Lou Spanos, who has been with the team since 1995

Shipley and his T-Rex arms was never going to be our starting center. He just sped up the inevitable cut that would have eventually come.

LatrobePA
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
He'll be cut B4 next season!

Since we're knocking this kid, lets knock our non starter center we have starting! lol

BlackGold4vr
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I have never been a Hartwig fan. I said from the beginning that he was only a slight upgrade from Sean (turnstile) Mahan. Hartwig needs to be replaced as well. Maurkice Pouncey 6-5/318 would be a nice addition.

andyg1984
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
hartwig is part of the reason everyone thinks arians should be fired imo .. he cannot cut it on a team that is competing and he definitely almost lost us the super bowl in more ways than one ..

LatrobePA
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
hartwig is part of the reason everyone thinks arians should be fired imo .. he cannot cut it on a team that is competing and he definitely almost lost us the super bowl in more ways than one ..

Correct you are bud! But like any true Steelers fan would say, that wasn't holding! lol

BlackGold4vr
01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Obviously, it would be nice to field an offensive line made up of all first and second round players. Most teams cannot afford to pay for a line with that much talent. But a couple studs with mediocre players mixed in could help tremendously. Right now we currently don't have any studs at all. Our line is mediocre to poor all the way across. Here is a line that I would love to see next year.

(1) Anthony Davis - LT Regarded by some as the best LT in this draft class.
(2) Chris Kemoeatu - LG Our best pulling guard.
(3) Maurkice Pouncey - C Will be the first center drafted.
(4) Kraig Urbik - RG Let the best man win the job.
(5) Willie Colon - RT Our current best.

Shitcan Starks, he's a nice guy but a horrible tackle. You can't move him inside because he is being paid franchise LT money.

Shitcan Hartwig, I doubt another team would even claim him as a back-up.

(6) Ramon Foster could compete for the starting RG job and also play tackle in a pinch.

(7) Trai Essex is a functional back-up who can fill in at guard or tackle.

Keep (8) Legursky as a back-up guard/center.

(9) Darnell Stapleton could compete for the RG job with Foster and Urbik and also be a back-up center.

:2cents:

LatrobePA
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Starks is here to stay, for some reason they love this slob!

coldrolled
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Obviously, it would be nice to field an offensive line made up of all first and second round players. Most teams cannot afford to pay for a line with that much talent. But a couple studs with mediocre players mixed in could help tremendously. Right now we currently don't have any studs at all. Our line is mediocre to poor all the way across. Here is a line that I would love to see next year.

Shitcan Starks, he's a nice guy but a horrible tackle. You can't move him inside because he is being paid franchise LT money.

(6) Ramon Foster could compete for the starting RG job and also play tackle in a pinch.

(9) Darnell Stapleton could compete for the RG job with Foster and Urbik and also be a back-up center.

Safety - Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays at 18

Center - Matt Tennant or Pouncey at 52

Spiller the RB may be available at 18 for us..... Arians can use him :lol:

K Train
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
anthony davis will be long gone.

lol at mays at 18, i would turn in my steeler fan card....i cant handle two terrible drafts in a row, i care to much about the draft to deal with that.

pouncey would be sick but i have a feeling hes gonna be a hot commodity

urbik probably wont make the team

oh and finally LMAO at shipley

Zachintosh66
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Not really a defect... more of a letting go.

DanRooney
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM

2010 NFL Draft: Center Rankings

The top 2010 center prospects available for the 2010 NFL Draft in the order in which I believe they will be drafted. * - denotes 2011 prospect.

This page was last updated Oct. 24, 2009.

2010 NFL Draft Position Rankings:
QB | RB | FB | WR | TE | OT | OG | C | 4-3 DE | DT | 3-4 OLB | 3-4 DE | NT | 4-3 OLB | ILB | CB | S | K | P

2011 NFL Draft Position Rankings:
QB | RB |

Kristofer O'Dowd*, USC
Height: 6-5. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 5.07.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
2/11/09: No one should blame Kris O'Dowd if he comes out early; he'd be the top center prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was an All-Pac 10 first-teamer as a sophomore.

7/28/08: Kris O'Dowd was forced into the starting lineup when incumbent center Matt Spanos suffered an injury. Despite being a true freshman, O'Dowd performed admirably. With Spanos gone, the starting center gig is his.

Stefen Wisniewski*, Penn State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 5.13.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
10/24/09: Like Kris O'Dowd, Stefan Wisniewski would be a top center prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
Height: 6-5. Weight: 318.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2010): 2.
1/12/10: Maurkice Pouncey has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Pouncey is a versatile player who can play center, guard and right tackle. He could be drafted early on Day 2.

Matt Tennant, Boston College
Height: 6-4. Weight: 285.
Projected 40 Time: 4.93.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
2/11/09: An honorable mention on the All-ACC Team.

7/28/08: Matt Tennant started every game for Boston College in 2007, as he was a very reliable center for Matt Ryan.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010C.php

Zachintosh66
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Keep Stapleton and cut Hartwig... riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhttt

K Train
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
i like pouncey and i dont usually like versatile olinemen....but hes got the stones to hold his own and anchor the line

BlackGold4vr
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Keep Stapleton and cut Hartwig... riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhttt

Thats right, you cut the player making starting pay and keep the guy making barely over league minimum as a back-up. Is that math too hard for you to understand?

andyg1984
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Gator OL scare the starks out of me ...jk

i did not really watch too much of pouncey this year ..how did he do vs Cody and Williams?

Zachintosh66
01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Thats right, you cut the player making starting pay and keep the guy making barely over league minimum as a back-up. Is that math too hard for you to understand?

money not withstanding... Hartwig may only be average, but Stapleton is garbage.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
i like pouncey and i dont usually like versatile olinemen....but hes got the stones to hold his own and anchor the line

I agree Ktrain...If the Steelers again can't land a first round OT....Then in the 2nd round I hope they make a strong effort to trade up to get Pouncey and at least strengthen the center position......But there is a chance Pouncey could sneak into the late first round......I would suggest trading down and drafting Pouncey.......But I think the Steelers still can land an impact player at 18 and I don't want them trading down unless there isn't anybody that knocks their socks off at 18.......

Silverback
01-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Gator OL scare the starks out of me ...jk

i did not really watch too much of pouncey this year ..how did he do vs Cody and Williams?
:lol: But seriously thats a great question, I saw the SEC championship but really don't remember him. Those match ups would give great insight into his projection as a pro, considering there NFL caliber NT's. Especially considering the beast NT's within our division.

K Train
01-13-2010, 01:11 AM
if you didnt notice him....he probably did well

JensK
01-13-2010, 04:45 AM
I agree Ktrain...If the Steelers again can't land a first round OT....Then in the 2nd round I hope they make a strong effort to trade up to get Pouncey and at least strengthen the center position......But there is a chance Pouncey could sneak into the late first round......I would suggest trading down and drafting Pouncey.......But I think the Steelers still can land an impact player at 18 and I don't want them trading down unless there isn't anybody that knocks their socks off at 18.......

I agree. I do find it unlikely that there wouldnt be anyone left at 18 Steelers would want. This draft is decked with talent, so it would truely amaze me if we traded anywhere but up.

andyg1984
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
if you didnt notice him....he probably did well

i just remember the few matchups I saw as Cody either holding his ground where there was no penetration or he got tricked into being out of position where it was easier to turn him .. as for williams i was at a bar for that one .. i do remember FL having issues moving the ball tho, but who knows ..

does any1 have a better memory?