PDA

View Full Version : More emphasis on the Run

NCSteeler
01-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Found this interesting. I suppose Tomlin is going to try and put his mark on this Offense. A 6-2 240lb FB would help, no doubt.

They also might add a fullback. Before Canadian Football League fullback Rolly Lumballa signed with the Miami Dolphins this week, he entertained an offer from the Steelers. They have Frank Summers, who could become that fullback, coming off injured reserve.

It has become clear that Tomlin wants more emphasis on the running game next season, although Ben Roethlisberger and his receivers will continue to be the focus. Gaining yards on the ground was not the main problem for the Steelers last season; getting the short ones and running when they had to run were. That might not require a big fix, merely adding a good fullback and tweaking the philosophy. They also must do something about Roethlisberger's sacks -- he had a career-high 50, which brings to 189 his total over the past four seasons.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10010/1027112-66.stm#ixzz0cCrufOQ4

andyg1984
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
imo if tomlin was serious about running he would not have watched the interior OL go down hill over his tenure to this extent and would have made a move to shore it up with one of the better interior OL prospects in the '09 draft ..

not to say that a FB would not help, but it probably is going to take more than whoever the heck Rollly Lumballa is .. only so much action with fartwig in the middle

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Fixing the running game will require a good FB, that's a gimme, but it's always going to require a renewed emphasis and commitment to running the ball. The only way to do that is to instill in your offensive line and your back that you WILL run the football and you WILL convert the 3rd and short situations. Running the ball is an attitude, a mindset that we used to covet, but we've definitely gotten away from. We will never be a 3 yds and a cloud of dust type of offense again, we have way too many weapons now to ever go back that. However, you can be a passing team but still be able to run when you want to or have to run.

LatrobePA
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Redman, done deal fixed! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DanRooney
01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't understand the ongoing Redman joke. The kid looked good in the preseason. He put a lot of effort into all of his runs.

LatrobePA
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't understand the ongoing Redman joke. The kid looked good in the preseason. He put a lot of effort into all of his runs.

I like him!

coldrolled
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I like him!

Arians gone will fix our running game.

Watching the Jets and Cards and you see what i mean......

DanRooney
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I like him!

oh haha I thought you were being sarcastic.

jcloss23
01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
we just need better balance, and a consisent running attack will not throw that out the window for sure

LatrobePA
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
we just need better balance, and a consisent running attack will not throw that out the window for sure

No we just need a new OC!!

Redman will come out swing'n this summer!!!

coldrolled
01-10-2010, 11:12 PM
:cope:
No we just need a new OC!!

Redman will come out swing'n this summer!!!
:cope::cope::cope::cope:

Iron City South
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
I still think the Steelers need to draft a "franchise" quality Center like they're known for doing and build the O-line outward.

If you watched the Jets game or the Ravens game, you saw a stellar performance by the O-lines that used their size and strength to impose their will on the other team. The Jets averaged nearly 3 yds per carry to the right and center, but nearly 10 yds per carry behind Faneca and Ferguson. The Center is the nucleus of the unit and responsible for a ton of pulling to get out in front of the RB.

Dirt Dawson was one of the best I ever saw ....

DIESELMAN
01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
The only way to do that is to instill in your offensive line and your back that you WILL run the football and you WILL convert the 3rd and short situations. Running the ball is an attitude, a mindset that we used to covet, but we've definitely gotten away from.

:plus1: Exactly TOP!! Mind over matter, they have to want to run block, dig deep down inside and get ****ing nasty. We don't have that mindset, we definitley need upgreades on the OL.

I still think the Steelers need to draft a "franchise" quality Center like they're known for doing and build the O-line outward.

If you watched the Jets game or the Ravens game, you saw a stellar performance by the O-lines that used their size and strength to impose their will on the other team. The Jets averaged nearly 3 yds per carry to the right and center, but nearly 10 yds per carry behind Faneca and Ferguson. The Center is the nucleus of the unit and responsible for a ton of pulling to get out in front of the RB.

:plus1: yes he was!!! we need that mauler, that evil MFer and make the whole line gel from the inside out. I'm not saying we have to lead the league in rushing, but we definitely need at least a top 10 running game. Right now, everybody knows we can't run the ball, that puts us in the hole even before the game starts.

jcloss23
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
lol, latrobe i agree a new OC would implement this, but i just dont think it will happen

andyg1984
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM

beautiful ... still upset we did not more aggressively target Wood, or Mack i guess .. all it takes to realize how weak we are at C/Rg is a replay of the super bowl