PDA

View Full Version : Defensive coaches escape shakeup

Captcoolhand
01-09-2010, 07:39 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_661402.html

It's the defense's fault the Steelers missed the playoffs in 2009. That's what coach Mike Tomlin told us throughout the team's five-game losing streak.

"We had an opportunity to win the Baltimore game in regulation, but we didn't because we gave up a big play on fourth-and-5," Tomlin said following another ugly defeat.

"We had an opportunity to win the Oakland game. We had a ball hit us in the chest during that last drive. We didn't make that play," Tomlin said in describing rookie Joe Burnett dropping an interception right before the Raiders scored the winning touchdown.

When the offense failed to convert on third-and-short twice in the first quarter against Cleveland, and finished the game only 3 of 14 on third-down conversions while allowing a season-high eight sacks in a 13-6 loss to the Browns, Tomlin said it was everybody's fault.

"The protection of our quarterback and the conversions of third downs is an 11-man job, and it's a staff job. And we all failed," Tomlin said.

Once again, Tomlin's words are coming back to mock him.

The same coach who said prior to the Oakland loss that "we won't point fingers; we won't come apart," made his first decisive moves as an NFL coach this week.

Tomlin fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky. And if you believe the rumors and innuendo surrounding offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' job security, Tomlin thought long and hard before retaining Arians. (all of about 4 days after final game..... Ya real long!)

The source of my confusion is that Tomlin has so far left his defensive coaching staff intact. How can that be considering Tomlin's repeated public critique of his secondary?

Tomlin never called out the performance of his offensive line the way he ripped his secondary. Yet, Zierlein was the first coach he fired, while defensive backs coach Ray Horton remains on staff.

Horton, predictably, defended his performance.

"Statistically, there's nothing wrong with us. We just didn't turn the ball over enough to stop some of the big plays," Horton said this week. "That's the only thing we didn't do."

The Steelers were No. 5 in total defense following a No. 1 ranking in 2008. They were No. 16 against the pass after finishing as the top-ranked unit a year ago.

Maybe Tomlin took into consideration the absence of defensive end Aaron Smith and safety Troy Polamalu for most of the season. How could he not?

If his secondary's performance was, in Tomlin's words, "below the line," I can only assume the secondary will be revamped because by not firing Horton, Tomlin must have found fault with his players rather than the assistant who works with those players every day in practice.

Clearly, Tomlin found fault with Zierlein's performance. Presumably, that's why he fired him.

On the other hand, if the secondary remains intact next season, Tomlin will have more explaining to do because of how he characterized the play of his defensive backs.

Remember, Tomlin was Tampa Bay's defensive backs coach for five years. It isn't a stretch to say he knows more about the nuances of secondary play than what's taking place on the offensive line.

That speaks volumes about Tomlin's decision to retain Horton, who believes there will be personnel changes in the secondary.

"We will inevitably have turnover this year. We will not stay the same," Horton said. "Part of it is getting a different mix of people. That's just the way the business is."

Speculation has it that one of the reasons for the uncertainty of Arians' return in 2010 is that he may have to transition back to becoming more of a ball-control coordinator featuring the run.

The Steelers finished No. 7 in offense, their highest ranking since 2002, as they featured a 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher for the first time in the same season.

But wasn't it Tomlin who said he saw Lombardi trophies and not rushing titles on his way to his office when he responded to Willie Parker's plea last season to emphasize the running game?

With that in mind, some of the fascination surrounding this year's statistical smorgasbord might be short-lived considering the Steelers ranked No. 21 in red-zone offense and finished with a 39 percent third-down conversion rate.

At times this season, the Steelers offense was a joy to behold. The 37-36 comeback win against Green Bay was breathtaking.

But do Steelers fans prefer a high-octane attack or winning Super Bowls with a boring offense?

I believe we all know the answer to that.

Will Tomlin's next line coach have a proven resume for developing a power running game, or will it be someone with a track record for standout pass-blocking?

Whoever it is will provide a clear answer where the offense is headed.I guess time will tell.

Interesting points....Fired the Offense coaches its their fault.(50 sacks) But, don't worry about Defense it's the Players fault. So what players get fired......

JensK
01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Indeed. There is another point to be made though. Our o-line have sucked for a while. As have our ST (at least its been really up and down. One year it fails, next it rocks, next it fails... you get the point :P). Our secondary have been pretty solid up until this point, together with the whole defense. We have been in top 5 overall defense pretty much whole last decade. It would make no sense to fire coaches because of one down-year imo.

LarryNJ
01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Tomlin thought long and hard before retaining Arians. (all of about 4 days after final game..... Ya real long!)

That's a ridiculious statement. These guys have been getting evaluated daily on what they do since the Super Bowl last year. Thru out the off season, pre season and certainly the regular season. It wasn't a decision that was made in 4 days.

harpo
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Tomlin thought long and hard before retaining Arians. (all of about 4 days after final game..... Ya real long!)

That's a ridiculious statement. These guys have been getting evaluated daily on what they do since the Super Bowl last year. Thru out the off season, pre season and certainly the regular season. It wasn't a decision that was made in 4 days.

Exactly. I don't know what some of these writers are thinking when they write ridiculous statements such as that. I guess some people look for controversy in everything.

coldrolled
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Exactly. I don't know what some of these writers are thinking when they write ridiculous statements such as that. I guess some people look for controversy in everything.

Arians will be released if we find an OC that is better and the FO likes him... 3 months before the draft... alot can change still.

LatrobePA
01-09-2010, 11:29 AM
We need a badass CB or safety to back up shampoo boy!

Zachintosh66
01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
We need a badass CB or safety to back up shampoo boy!

we need shampoo boy to stop making commercials and get healthy to actually play...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
we need shampoo boy to stop making commercials and get healthy to actually play...

Don't count on shampoo boy staying healthy.....I'm already expecting him to be injured next year.......

steelersbabex25
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Eh, I think Shampoo Boy will be fine next year. He's had more than enough time to rest during the season.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Eh, I think Shampoo Boy will be fine next year. He's had more than enough time to rest during the season.

Yea I'm sure he will enter training camp and the pre-season healthy......But I'm also expecting tin man to get injured again as soon as the regular season starts next year......In the last three years Troy was only healthy in 2008....He also was hurt late in the season in 2006......I don't care how great a player is but they're worthless if they're always injured......

LatrobePA
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Training in a swimming pool with balls is for dancers, this is full contact football, get your *** in the weight room and on the field!

SteelCityKid5
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
coldrolled (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=3521), what part of "Arians best friend on the team is Roethlisberger" do you not understand? He isnt going anywhere. It sure as hell sucks but, our $100 mill QB wont let Arians go anywhere except together on a golf outing.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Training in a swimming pool with balls is for dancers, this is full contact football, get your *** in the weight room and on the field!

Latrobe we all know by now Troy has his own training methods and will stick to them........But I understand what you're saying....I'm so sick of Troy its not even funny.....I would trade him while his value is still high.....Sure it would suck to lose a great player but I don't know how you can count on him at this point......So lets get a couple draft picks for him.....This isn't going to happen so I don't know I even brought it up....lol

LatrobePA
01-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Latrobe we all know by now Troy has his own training methods and will stick to them........But I understand what you're saying....I'm so sick of Troy its not even funny.....I would trade him while his value is still high.....Sure it would suck to lose a great player but I don't know how you can count on him at this point......So lets get a couple draft picks for him.....This isn't going to happen so I don't know I even brought it up....lol

But when he's on and HOT, it's a f'n show you don't want to miss! But I agree, when he's hurt or banged up he's just an average joe!!

Zachintosh66
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I feel the same way about Harrison

Goodfrom55
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Secondary play was atrocious this year and in years past, except for Troy, drop too many INT's. Honestly, Horton should be canned.

LatrobePA
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Secondary play was atrocious this year and in years past, except for Troy, drop too many INT's. Honestly, Horton should be canned.

There's still time, once the PO's are wrapped up and teams make their "cuts" there will be plenty of coaches looking for work...Might spark Tomlin to shitcan a few more jokers!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
The defensive schemes are not the problem here, that's why Tomlin (atleast so far) has left the coaching staff on that side of the ball alone. The secondary was as bad as we've ever seen them play; they couldn't tackle or hang onto interceptions, much less cover anybody. The Linebackers are good except for Farrior showing his age this year; and the defensive line was solid even in spite of Aaron being out. Obviously we need some depth there and hopefully resign Hampton but overall the coaches aren't the problem on defense, it's the players.

coldrolled
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
coldrolled (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=3521), what part of "Arians best friend on the team is Roethlisberger" do you not understand? He isnt going anywhere. It sure as hell sucks but, our $100 mill QB wont let Arians go anywhere except together on a golf outing.

Dont make me understand..... :nono:

He has to go..... :grin1:

The other PA team has been dreaming this same arians scheme for as long as mcnabb has been around. it doesnt win the big games... you just keep wishing the next year will be the year... kinda like a browns fan.

NCSteeler
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm with JensK on this one, the D let us down one year out of how many? This offense has been a problem since Arians and Zierlien took over and the STs have been terrible every year, but 2008. I definitely think this is a long term evaluation.