PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fire offensive line coach

Big T
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Steelers fire offensive line coach
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 6, 2010 2:10 PM ET

While offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' fate remains up in the air, the Steelers have reportedly made a decision on another offensive coach.

According to Mike Lombardi of NFL Network, the Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

The move makes sense; Zierlein's unit has consistently struggled during his three-year tenure as line coach.*

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is expected to continue meeting with his staff during the week. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson has retired.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach/

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Still waiting for one that says "Steelers fire offensive coordinator"

Big T
01-06-2010, 02:59 PM

No doubt...

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Well thats good

steelerfan11
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Arians-can-keep-his-job-if-he-would-like.html

Says Arians can keep his job if he wants. Hopefully the story is wrong!

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Ughh. The Steelers love to toy with my emotions.

Big T
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
All this **** is getting quite annoying

Steel Trap86
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Awesome, this shows they are making the changes...Arians day is coming

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
As far as this issue goes, so we keep this one on topic, it was probably time to go in another direction. Although, give him credit, the OL was improving week to week until Kemo started got injured and then with Foster came in they weren't the same. They did make very nice strides as the year went on, but ultimately I guess it wasn't enough to warrant him keeping his job.

Zachintosh66
01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
one coach down 2 to go...

HUNT4SEVEN
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Well it's not going to happend:evilshake: just heard they will bring him back

V_83
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I guess this is better than nothing. Any word on the ST coach yet?

SteelerRush
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I guess this is Tomlins escape goat so he can keep BA. I was never happy with the O-line the last three years and then we go and sign all these schlumps to contracts. In my oppinion BA should have done the firing after all wasn't he responsible for for O-Line coach?

Why isn't BA the one being held accountable?????:banging:

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe Starks can coach the line??? He's so damn good!

Callax
01-06-2010, 08:49 PM

I am also waiting for the one that says" Pittsburgh fires ineffective special teams coach and hire Bobby April"

acero
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
st coach should be fired, but wasnt bobby april a coach here and was a total disaster under bill cowher?

NCSteeler
01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I really wanted Z to be fired last season, but the line has steadily improved this year . They finally seemed to be "getting it". They didn't really play bad until a few injuries, Imean seriously did anyone expect Foster to come in and play as good. Anyhow, on to the next coach and hopefully the line will keep getting better.

KemoTherapy
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I suspect the performance of the o-line is due more to them trying to get by with late round picks and undrafted free agents rather than coaching. There had to be more than one reason for Faneca to get pissed off enough to leave. They need to get back to basics and build from the o and d lines out and stop with the strange obsession with the tight end position.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
So the o-line coach gets canned. I'm confused...didn't BA have them zone blocking even though they are all big/strong/slower types? Seems like another sacrificial lamb. Given Ben's propensity to hold onto the football and rack up the sacks and BA's lunacy with offensive schemes...this o-line job seems like whoever takes it is destined for failure.

LatrobePA
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
So the o-line coach gets canned. I'm confused...didn't BA have them zone blocking even though they are all big/strong/slower types? Seems like another sacrificial lamb. Given Ben's propensity to hold onto the football and rack up the sacks and BA's lunacy with offensive schemes...this o-line job seems like whoever takes it is destined for failure.

You speak the truth evil Joe Flacco! lol

DanRooney
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
The o-line is still trash. There is no talent on the line whatsoever. Do you think any of Ben's sacks in the Browns game were caused by him "holding the ball for too long?" Absolutely not.

It goes hand in hand. How many sacks has Ben avoided by escaping the pocket after a complete collapse? Nobody seems to mention that.

JensK
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
The o-line is still trash. There is no talent on the line whatsoever. Do you think any of Ben's sacks in the Browns game were caused by him "holding the ball for too long?" Absolutely not.

It goes hand in hand. How many sacks has Ben avoided by escaping the pocket after a complete collapse? Nobody seems to mention that.

That would be because that most of the time, the guy actually put him self into those situations. its not just the o-lines fault, its a combination of a lot of things going wrong. If the o-line can give your QB 4 sec to throw the ball, they have done a good job. Ben actually gets that time a lot, but for some reason he is not getting the ball away. If its because he wants the big play, or because the WRs does not get open varies, but he is accountable for a lot of sacks, which is why we all hate and love Ben...

When that is said, our line sucks right now. I would keep Colon, and i would keep Kemo (as i mentioned in another thread), because these guys have potential. Its been pretty clear though, that our line have been using the wrong schemes. They are big maulers, who excel at destroying their opponent one on one. Not sure what that kind of scheme is called (line blocking? :thinking: ), but the zone-blocking system we have been using is not getting it done. Im sure you know what the basics are in zone-blocking, which is why i also presume you know that works best with smaller athletic linemen, not big fat maulers. :2cents:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
That would be because that most of the time, the guy actually put him self into those situations. its not just the o-lines fault, its a combination of a lot of things going wrong. If the o-line can give your QB 4 sec to throw the ball, they have done a good job. Ben actually gets that time a lot, but for some reason he is not getting the ball away. If its because he wants the big play, or because the WRs does not get open varies, but he is accountable for a lot of sacks, which is why we all hate and love Ben...

When that is said, our line sucks right now. I would keep Colon, and i would keep Kemo (as i mentioned in another thread), because these guys have potential. Its been pretty clear though, that our line have been using the wrong schemes. They are big maulers, who excel at destroying their opponent one on one. Not sure what that kind of scheme is called (line blocking? :thinking: ), but the zone-blocking system we have been using is not getting it done. Im sure you know what the basics are in zone-blocking, which is why i also presume you know that works best with smaller athletic linemen, not big fat maulers. :2cents:

Remember when Steve Spurrier took over for the Redskins and put all sorts of ridiculous blocking schemes in. The lineman looked pathetic...when he left and took his Fun and Gun offense with him, suddenly they were all better players.