PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Bobby!

Goodfrom55
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Need to cut Ligashesky and bring back Bobby!

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
Bobby April, one of the league's top special teams coaches, has exercised a clause in his contract that makes him a free agent on Tuesday, according to a source.

April had two years remaining on his contract and was informed Monday by the Buffalo Bills that he and the other assistant coaches have the right to pursue other jobs as the organization searches for a new coach.

Since the mid-season firing of Dick Jauron, April has been trying to decide what to do with the final years of his contract.

The contract gives him 14 days after the season to make a decision. Knowing he will be in demand, April decided to inform the team he was leaving.

April, 56, also serves as the assistant head coach of the Bills. April has won special team awards in two of the past six years. He also has coached with the Steelers, Falcons, Saints and Rams.

April was the only assistant not hired originally by Jauron.

The Bills announced in a statement that the team's current staff remains under contract but the coaches have been informed that their obligations for this season have been completed, and they now "have the opportunity to seek positions elsewhere." The release said their status then will be determined by the Bills' next head coach.

Despite how the Bills phrased the release, a person familiar with the team's decisions told The Associated Press that the staff was fired.

The Bills closed their 50th season by missing the playoffs for a 10th straight year, capping a decade in which they enjoyed only one winning season -- a 9-7 finish in 2004

Zachintosh66
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
no thanks... how about some new blood for a 2010 Special Teams... not 1990's

Clevelandsux
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I like Bobby April. He left basically due to a clash with Cowher. He was our ST coach in 1995 when we went to the SB. I like it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Our special teams were beastly under April; although from what I remember some of this units have strugged over the years. If he's still got it, then hell yeah bring him in for an interview. I just love seeing him all fired up on the sidelines when he was a Steeler.

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I make the mo0ve now, before he talks to any other teams.

Callax
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I think bringing back Bobby is a great Idea!!!! the putz coaching the SP now had a very good year LAST YEAR and the years before AND after that was horrible!!!

Bring Back Bobby April!!!!

DanRooney
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
April>Lighshitsky

LatrobePA
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
He was back in Steeltown:

http://steelers.com/article/116883/

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
For a second I thought this said Bubby...as in reference to two-time Superbowl Champ Bubby Brister. LOL!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Our ST were always good when April was the coach, he's just got that knack for getting the most out of his players. If there's ever a unit that needs a complete overhaul of every process, it's our coverage teams. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him back in Pittsburgh.

Callax
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Legshitsky gone, Tomlin interviewed BA II (Bobby April) monday, I hope this is the sign of a real SP coach coming to PITT!!!!

coldrolled
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Coach Mike Singletary is expected to meet with former Bills special teams coach Bobby April this week during the American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla.

Singletary has interviewed former 49ers special-teams coach Larry Mac Duff for the position that was vacated last week when Singletary decided not to renew Al Everest's contract. Everest replaced Mac Duff, who left the 49ers after the 2006 season to become co-defensive coordinator at Texas.

The highly respected April exercised a clause in his contract last week to escape the final two years of his deal with the Bills. He and the other Bills assistants had been told that they were free to pursue other opportunities while the Bills searched for a new head coach. April reportedly interviewed for a position Sunday on Mike Tomlin's Steelers staff.

coldrolled
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Bobby April, a candidate for the Steelers' special teams coordinator vacancy, left town without a contract following his interview Sunday with coach Mike Tomlin and team officials because he was scheduled to meet with at least three other NFL teams.

April later met with San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary during this week's American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla., at which Singletary was a speaker.

April, who coached the Buffalo Bills' special teams the past six seasons, also has interviews with a couple of other unidentified teams, Chicago-based representative Frank Murtha said Tuesday.

"He had serious discussions with Coach Tomlin and other members of the Steelers' organization," Murtha said. "It might be a few more days. We really don't have a timetable. He hasn't made any hard and fast decisions until he at least finishes the interview process."

Asked if the Steelers or any other team made an official offer to April, Murtha replied, "I can't really get into that, but, obviously, teams have expressed an interest in having him as their special teams coach."

April, regarded among the top special teams coaches in the NFL, was the Steelers' special teams coordinator from 1994-95; his last season was the year the Steelers played in Super Bowl XXX.

In addition to his special teams duties, April also served as Buffalo's assistant head coach. It was believed that April might be named interim coach when Dick Jauron was fired during the season; however, that position went to defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who was released along with the rest of the coaching staff.

"I definitely wanted — want — to be a head coach. That's an ongoing goal of mine," April told reporters in Buffalo.

April opted out of the final two years of his contract so that teams knew he was available,

April, 56, would be a welcome addition to a Steelers' special teams unit that allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns this season under former coordinator Bob Ligashesky, who was fired last week. No other team allowed more than two kickoff returns for touchdowns this season.

April won the 2008 Special Teams Coach of the Year award, voted on by the league's coaches. The award is presented by Professional Kicking Services. April also won the award in 2004.

More Steelers headlines
Packers' Woodson picked top defender
Poor stats don't slow Flacco
Mangini excited about Browns' direction
Jets' rookie QB Sanchez already in rare territory
Grimm gets permission to talk to Bills
'Rooney Rule' under scrutiny
Steelers' Khan to interview with Seahawks
Subscribe to the Tribune-Review today

jcloss23
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
i cant wait for the ST's to stop being so damn bad, two things need to happen on kick returns, one is to shed our blocks better, idk what they are doin running down the field but they have the momentum and they always seem to either leave their lanes to get away from the block or run right into it,another thing ive seen is that it looks like they are always goin for that huge hit, this nonsense needs to stop too and if we break down and miss a tackle maybe we wont be seen on the the opposite side on sportscenters top 10 weekly

coldrolled
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Gone!

Eagles Hire Special Teams Coordinator Bobby April
Free agent special teams coordinator Bobby April has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles, the team announced on Thursday.

The Eagles terminated the contract of Ted Daisher, who just concluded his first season as the team's special teams coordinator.

April is one of the most respected special teams coordinators in the business, having spent the last six seasons with the Buffalo Bills, who routinely finished in the Top 5 of Rick Gosselin's special teams rankings in the Dallas Morning News.

V_83
01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Gone!

Eagles Hire Special Teams Coordinator Bobby April
Free agent special teams coordinator Bobby April has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles, the team announced on Thursday.

The Eagles terminated the contract of Ted Daisher, who just concluded his first season as the team's special teams coordinator.

April is one of the most respected special teams coordinators in the business, having spent the last six seasons with the Buffalo Bills, who routinely finished in the Top 5 of Rick Gosselin's special teams rankings in the Dallas Morning News.

Oh, Bob Saget!

Well, who else are we looking at?

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Should have known it was a pipe dream to get him back.

LatrobePA
01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Steelers never sign to many "known" coaches or players for that matter! Pisses me off at times!!

Zachintosh66
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Steelers never sign to many "known" coaches or players for that matter! Pisses me off at times!!

He chose philly over us... but i get your point regardless.

LatrobePA
01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
He chose philly over us... but i get your point regardless.

Our cheap *** FO was the the lowest offer....He went with the $$$ from what I hear!

Just once it would be nice to snag a big name FA or OC etc etc etc!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
We will end up with bottom of the barrel castoffs at this rate. April should have been a top priorty.

Zachintosh66
01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Steelers | Everest interviewed for ST job
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:09:19 -0800

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have interviewed former San Francisco 49ers special teams coach Al Everest for their vacant special teams coaching position.

NCSteeler
01-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Steelers | Everest interviewed for ST job
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:09:19 -0800

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have interviewed former San Francisco 49ers special teams coach Al Everest for their vacant special teams coaching position.

He is possibly the only coach who's unit performed very close to ours last year. He has been better in the past, but apparently the 49ers had no reason to think he would improve. Alot of coaches are having a hard time figuring out the new blocking wedges, and he seems to be one of them. Hate to let April slip away and then sign someone who was fired because their unit played bad. I would rather they go get a young assistant from some where. Am I the only one that thinks 55 is not he best average age for a coaching staff, experience matters, but so does drive , enthusiasm , and youthful exuberance.

JensK
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Steelers close to hiring special teams coach
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are close to hiring a new special teams coordinator -- Al Everest, who spent the past three seasons in a similar role with the San Francisco 49ers.

Everest, 59, has visited with Coach Mike Tomlin and is expected to reach agreement with the team to replace Bob Ligashesky, who was fired after the season.

The guy was named ST coach of the year in 2002 :o