PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010 Bruce Arians Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Ok, yeah I know we won and I'm as happy as any Steeler fan right now. We went out with a win and did our part. Having said that, the red zone play calling was horrific, the 2nd half play calling terrible in general, we went right back into our shell and did our best to basically hand them the ball on downs for all but the last 5 minutes of the game.

How many times in the redzone do you have to try to run up the middle or throw a quick pass in a crowded flat area before you realize it's not going to work. Use your WR's, spread em out, atleast make them think you're going to do something different. The worst thing you can be is predictable and in the 2nd half that's what we are. It's enough to make you need blood pressure medication just watching these guys try and execute in the 2nd half, especially in the redzone.

Get us an OC that will take this offense by the reigns and actually do something besides fall apart late in the game. There's no killer instinct, not even alittle bit.

Again, I know Ben has 4000+ yds passing, Mendy has over 1000 yds rushing and all that but in the face of that success our inability to be consistent cannot be overlooked.

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
28th in the NFL in redzone, I'd say too predictable! Send him packing the worthless bastard!

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Almost lost the game for us today. Although..Parker was a fresh face to see. He did well.

Steel Trap86
01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
6 points total against the Browns, 9 sacks given up with no spot in the playoffs.

Arians has to GO!!

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
For you guys thinking well Ben had a big year, 2 1000 yard wr's bla bla bla...I'd trade it all for a PO spot!

Can't let our D off the hook though, they suck pretty bad!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Airhead has to go...............

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
^^ a lot of that is due to injuries. A LOT.

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
^^ a lot of that is due to injuries. A LOT.

True!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
They tried that ridiculous razzle dazzle stuff with Holmes, which was a complete nightmare. You've got 3 wicked good WR's and you try some crazy flea flicker that blew up in your face when you could have put it away. I swear it's like when he tries to do something different it just gets worse than if we stay the same old same old..and that's they biggest key for this offense, they need a fresh start and new outlook plain and simple.

Our guys have been pretty healthy on offense most of the year so he's had the weapons to use; there's no excuse to be this inconsistent with this much talent.

Moondog
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I know people are really against Arians, and he has left me scratching my head at times too, but, the fact of the matter is this offense is an improved unit over the 2008 version. The defense has been the unit with the decline. Five out of seven losses, the defense gave up fourth quarter leads. The play of the defense is the main reason the Steelers are in this position.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
They tried that ridiculous razzle dazzle stuff with Holmes, which was a complete nightmare

he was trying to pull a whis w/ a WR that has never played QB (unlike randel el who was a QB in college)...and it failed miserably...we had the INT, good field position, with a chance to go up big...instead, he tries that stupid *** play, and what happens? INT

i'm ready to come home from work, turn on NFL network, and see that arians was fired

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I know people are really against Arians, and he has left me scratching my head at times too, but, the fact of the matter is this offense is an improved unit over the 2008 version. The defense has been the unit with the decline. Five out of seven losses, the defense gave up fourth quarter leads. The play of the defense is the main reason the Steelers are in this position.

The Defense is equally to blame here but let's not put the majority of it on them. All 3 phases have failed this team in the 2nd half. The defense can't stop anybody; but the offense goes into this protective shell of run up the middle and fall down, and then they into obvious passing situations and everybody is ready for it so they blitz us and sack Ben or he tosses and INT, or whatever the case may be so pick your poison. They don't have that killer instinct that you need, and nobody seems to know why, including Tomlin. If the head coach can't explain what's going on then there's a serious issue. Put as much blame as you want on the players too, they deserve criticism as well here for not doing their job, but the play calling is just abysmal in key situations.

Let's face, nobody cares how good you are in the first half, it's the 2nd half that counts and there's more than enough obvious reason that we're in this position; not the least of which is play calling.

scott0326
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't understand the Santonio Holmes throwing the ball play at all. You have a 1000 yard rusher, two 1000+ yard receivers and one of best TE's in the NFL, so you have Holmes throw the ball?

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
^and with a wide reciever that's never thrown the ball at that. Trying to re-create the superbowl play I gues..except in a worse way.

Moondog
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
The Defense is equally to blame here but let's not put the majority of it on them. All 3 phases have failed this team in the 2nd half. The defense can't stop anybody; but the offense goes into this protective shell of run up the middle and fall down, and then they into obvious passing situations and everybody is ready for it so they blitz us and sack Ben or he tosses and INT, or whatever the case may be so pick your poison. They don't have that killer instinct that you need, and nobody seems to know why, including Tomlin. If the head coach can't explain what's going on then there's a serious issue. Put as much blame as you want on the players too, they deserve criticism as well here for not doing their job, but the play calling is just abysmal in key situations.

Let's face, nobody cares how good you are in the first half, it's the 2nd half that counts and there's more than enough obvious reason that we're in this position; not the least of which is play calling.

I know what you are saying TG, the special teams especially with all the returns, but still...the defense has really been abysmal in key situations alot more than the O. Case in point...the Raiders game, the 1st Bengals game, the KC game, the Bears game, Ravens loss, etc. Protect any one of those leads, the Steelers are in the playoffs, protect all five of those leads, the Steelers are 14-2 and a bye week.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
They tried that ridiculous razzle dazzle stuff with Holmes, which was a complete nightmare.

And this is AFTER we've a;ready been lighting them up offensively with regular ole' passing and rushing, no trickery at all. He really is the worse, it's like his gameplan isn't to put the team in the best position to win, his gameplan is just always auditioning, trying to impress, and stat padding.

If Arians is the offensive coordinator next season and we have another season like this, not only does Arians need to be fired but so does Tomlin.

coldrolled
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
And this is AFTER we've a;ready been lighting them up offensively with regular ole' passing and rushing, no trickery at all. He really is the worse, it's like his gameplan isn't to put the team in the best position to win, his gameplan is just always auditioning, trying to impress, and stat padding.

If Arians is the offensive coordinator next season and we have another season like this, not only does Arians need to be fired but so does Tomlin.

Exactly. Browns 13 - Steelers 6 .... Fire Him Fast!

His Firing is better for the steelers than the #1 draft pick.

coldrolled
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Featured Columnist
PIttsburgh Steelers Offense: Something's Missing by Brian Lutz
Brian Lutz
Featured Columnist

It’s going to be a surreal and depressing weekend for Steeler fans all over. Amazingly, the team still has a playoff pulse after two shaky-at-best wins at home in the past two weeks.

Their fate will be decided this weekend, when the 2009 defending champs will either be put out of their misery or miraculously entered into the postseason as a #6 seed.

Should the latter happen, the Steelers will be the crystal-clear “No one wants to play these guys!” and “Watch out for these guys!” team. But it’s an unlikely path that promises for a strange Sunday.

First, the Steelers must win in Miami, which is glossed over as a given in all the “this and this must happen” playoff scenarios. The Dolphins are a solid team, easily the best of all the 7-8 teams, and will be playing for a .500 season—no small feat considering they long ago lost their starting QB and running back to season-ending injuries.

Next, Steeler fans must cheer for two teams we consistently and almost universally dislike—New England and Cincinnati—to win. We must hope that two teams we are generally indifferent towards—the Texans and the Jets—to lose.

We must also hope that two crappy teams that already beat the Steelers (Oakland and Kansas City) can somehow prevail against two teams that the Steelers already beat (Baltimore and Denver). As if that weren’t enough, nothing will be decided until after the Sunday night prime time game is over, because the Jets control their own destiny. Sunday, bloody Sunday.

But since Pittsburgh’s season will likely be over by that time, I’d like to switch gears here and talk for a minute about the offense.

You know, that diverse and dynamic, run-n-gun, shoot-‘em-up offense with the 4,000 passer and the 1,000 yard rusher, flanked by the two 1,000-yard receivers and the wildly underrated tight end. The offense with the third round pick whose putting up numbers comparable to Percy Harvin.

Would you believe the offense isn’t good enough?

Yes, I know the stats say otherwise. I know Roethlisberger laughs when people criticize the offense. And I know that it was productive enough that the team would finish somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-5, if not for the defensive collapses.

I know when you’re handing out blame for the Steelers lost season, the order goes like this: 1) defense, 2) special teams, 3) coaching, and finally, 4) offense. But offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is still sitting on a hot seat, and there’s good reason for that.

Somehow, the offense is inconsistent and predictable at the same time. Not predictable in a “run right, run left” sort of way, but predictable in that certain players and formations basically give away things.

For instance, if either a) Heath Miller is off the line of scrimmage, or b) Mewelde Moore is in the game, it is 99 percent likely to be a pass play (unless Dennis Dixon is at quarterback).

How about when the fullback (when there is a fullback actually in there) does the double-back motion (where he motions one way and “slides” back to the side where he started)? You better believe they’re running it that way. Even my sisters can see that play coming.

It’s also unclear if the words “play” and “action” are seen side by side the Steelers’ playbook, because I think I could count on two hands the number of times a fake handoff has been executed in the past month. What’s wrong with faking a give to Mendenhall after he’s been ripping off six- and seven-yard runs for 2 ½ quarters? This needs to be a bigger part of the offense.

The bottom line is the offense is feast or famine. It worked well last year because the defense was good enough to create turnovers and shut teams down on the other side. This season, thanks to age and injuries, the defense has slipped, and the offense has been exposed a little.

For every great play the offense makes, there’s another 3rd-and-1 shotgun play that goes nowhere. For every pinpoint pass, there are dropped balls and underthrown balls and balls that are fumbled.

For every big hole the line opens up, there’s another obvious missed block. How many guys have gotten to Roethlisberger untouched this season?

That’s another point—everyone always raves about how great Roethlisberger is at escaping the pass rush, and it’s absolutely correct. And he has still been sacked 47 times! Imagine if this line had to block for a statue like Tommy Maddox or Neil O’Donnell—records could be broken.

Turning to another facet of the offense, the running game puzzles me. Mendenhall has had a terrific season and everything, but he’s also had several glaring missed blocks, some crucial fumbles, and a couple of key dropped passes.

On the other hand, I don’t think he ever gets nearly enough carries. Only against San Diego did he get enough touches, and, not coincidentally, the Steelers put up a season-high 38 points and 177 rush yards.

The offense struggles when facing good defenses. Cincinnati shut down Pittsburgh twice (although Limas Sweed takes a big share of the blame for the first one). The offense had trouble producing against Minnesota, Chicago, Tennessee, and Baltimore.

Even against bad teams like the Chiefs, Raiders, and Lions, the offense didn’t dominate like it was capable of and settled for too many field goals in the red zone. Things culminated in the loss at Cleveland, when the offense scored only six points against what was probably the league’s worst defense. The fate of Bruce Arians may have been sealed on that night.

There are also some personnel issues that need to be resolved. What does Max Starks have to do to get benched, or at least moved? Why isn’t Willie Parker—who’s looked very good over the past few weeks—playing more? Why have two fullbacks on the roster if the position isn’t being used properly?

Look, there’s no doubt the Steelers have a very good offense. Roethlisberger has never had this collection of talent and this many weapons in his career, and he’s made the most of it.

But something needs to change for this offense to make the transition from good to great. Maybe Ken Anderson should be calling the plays. Maybe the fullback was more important than we thought. Maybe there should be more trick plays, like the Wisenhunt days.

Maybe they should just go into a permanent two-minute drill, because they are generally unstoppable in this mode.

In some way, shape or form, this offense must look different in 2010. 4,000 yards passing is a great accomplishment. But when it comes with an 8-8 record, that’s nothing to laugh about.

UKSTEELER
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
no excuses for the offense at all, none, zipp, nadda, big fat zero. Injuries?

to who?

Kemo?, flashes occasional brilliance in the run game, but what we need is consistancy!

Foster has come in, and is by far a better pass protector than Kemo ever will be and that's judging on a few games.

The defense has been to blame for a few losses, but there are excuses, please don't make me go over them again!!!

THIS OFFENSE, YES THIS IS CAPITALS, IS NO BETTER THAN LAST SEASON, LAST SEASON WE WON A SUPERBOWL, A SUPERBOWL WE WON WITH A LOT, A HECK OF A LOT OF HELP FROM OUR NUMBER ONE, INJURY FREE DEFENSE!!

The defense has issues, did the Offfense step up to the plate and help our our defense
this year?, sporadically, maybe? Now and again, GENERALLY NO!

Disagree? Can you put your finger on that moment?

What deplted, injury hit unit beat the Vikes?

What deplteted, injury hit unit kept us in the game against the Browns a few weeks back?

OFFENSIVE GAMPLANNING, airhead, SCREWED OUR SEASON.

Holmes injured? No. Ward injured? Barely? Ben injured? One game. Heath injured? No. Parker injured? No. Wallace injured? No. Mendy Injured? No. O'line injured, rarely!

NO EXCUSES! AIRHEAD MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A PRICK, SACK OF ****!!!

DIESELMAN
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
no excuses for the offense at all, none, zipp, nadda, big fat zero. Injuries?

to who?

Kemo?, flashes occasional brilliance in the run game, but what we need is consistancy!

Foster has come in, and is by far a better pass protector than Kemo ever will be and that's judging on a few games.

The defense has been to blame for a few losses, but there are excuses, please don't make me go over them again!!!

THIS OFFENSE, YES THIS IS CAPITALS, IS NO BETTER THAN LAST SEASON, LAST SEASON WE WON A SUPERBOWL, A SUPERBOWL WE WON WITH A LOT, A HECK OF A LOT OF HELP FROM OUR NUMBER ONE, INJURY FREE DEFENSE!!

The defense has issues, did the Offfense step up to the plate and help our our defense
this year?, sporadically, maybe? Now and again, GENERALLY NO!

Disagree? Can you put your finger on that moment?

What deplted, injury hit unit beat the Vikes?

What deplteted, injury hit unit kept us in the game against the Browns a few weeks back?

OFFENSIVE GAMPLANNING, airhead, SCREWED OUR SEASON.

Holmes injured? No. Ward injured? Barely? Ben injured? One game. Heath injured? No. Parker injured? No. Wallace injured? No. Mendy Injured? No. O'line injured, rarely!

NO EXCUSES! AIRHEAD MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A PRICK, SACK OF ****!!!

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

Zachintosh66
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Parker scores on a draw... HOLDING CALL!

3rd Down, back us up 10...

Then they ran the same damn draw play again... WTF!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
4,000 yard passer 2.... 1,000 recievers an 3 recievers with 70 catches an a runner with 1,000 yards rushing and we end up 9-7 WTF? hopefully we make the correct changes in the offseason:crossfingers: on a side not who knows where we pick now that we are eliminated from the playoffs with the Rats winning?

Forged in Steel
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Bruce Arians must go, as well as the special teams coach, Bob Ligashesky. Marty Schottenheimer who's from the Pittsburgh area and went to the University of Pittsburgh should be brought in as head coach.

Dick LeBeau needs to change the defense up and get the team back to where they were in 2008-2009. The sh** they pulled this year was atrocious!

Clevelandsux
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Arians is an utter douchebag. Carter gets an Int, we are up 17-10 and he has Holmes throw a pass? Holmes obviously is no Randle El. This is another example of why arians sucks. Two ****** passing plays inside the redzone? Get rid of Bruce!!!!!!

DanRooney
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Arians is an utter douchebag. Carter gets an Int, we are up 17-10 and he has Holmes throw a pass? Holmes obviously is no Randle El. This is another example of why arians sucks. Two ****** passing plays inside the redzone? Get rid of Bruce!!!!!!

Townsend got the INT. He actually had the last INT of last season as well. But he did get beat quite frequently in this game. That being said, Gay was abused badly in his limited action today.

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
That being said, Gay was abused badly in his limited action today.

...and in every other game of the season. Can you remember ever saying, "nice play William!" I know I can't..

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
...and in every other game of the season. Can you remember ever saying, "nice play William!" I know I can't..

William Gay broke up a pass in the end zone today vs the Dolphins...Actually that was the first time I said nice play Gay since last year...lol

As for this thread and Bruce Arians....BA drives me nuts to but the execution by the players is to blame as well....Big Ben has had major development as an NFL QB under Bruce Arians....I think Bruce deserves some credit for that in allowing his talented QB to blossom......

I'm on the fence with Bruce if he is fired will I complain...no but at the same time if he is around next year then I won't complain either.....I think there is bigger issues then BA on this team....Mainly the secondary and special teams (kick coverage)..........Plus the OL still could use some work....Its an average OL but still can use an upgrade....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Bruce is far from the only reason, I think that's a give in. The players execution was hardly anything to write home about either. Like we've talked about, there's more than enough blame to go around but at the same time I really just think it's time for Arians to go. The play calling at key situations especially in the 2nd half is just inexcusable. Yes it's the players job to execute what's called, but at the time you have to put them in a position to be successful, and all too often that wasn't the case.

This roster needs a major shake up, we've gotten old at key positions and stagnant at others. I fully expect there to be some very difficult roster cuts coming, veteran guys that have been here a long time, but you have to move forward none the less.

DanRooney
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
How about Taunto Farrior? Guy is slow as molasses. He needs to be a situational LB either blitzing or stopping the run. Get him out of there on 3rd and mid-range where the RB or TE is a threat. He CANNOT cover anyone in the flat.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Big Ben has had major development as an NFL QB under Bruce Arians....I think Bruce deserves some credit for that in allowing his talented QB to blossom......

He seemed to have been doing just great under Ken Wisenhunt.

DanRooney
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
SIGN CARLOS ROGERS!!! Physical corner, doesn't play a cushion and is great in run support. Bad hands like Ike but the guy has talent. You won't see receivers WIDE OPEN with no one around them like you did today and in almost every game this season.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
He seemed to have been doing just great under Ken Wisenhunt.

Cowher and Whisenhunt never use let Ben audible or have much say in the play-book or game plan......The offense under Cowher/Whisenhunt was a 1 or 2 read offense based off play-action passing with only Ben attempting 22 passes a game......

Tomlin/Arians has allowed Ben to audible and have much say in the play-book plus let Ben run the no huddle offense when Ben wants to.....Really let Ben become the NFL QB he can be........

If Coach Whisenhunt would have remained maybe Ben would have blossomed like he has....But we don't know for sure and I just think BA deserves some credit in the development of Big Ben instead of the constant bashing BA receives.....Like I said if BA is fired I won't complain but if he isn't I won't complain either....Bigger issues on this team then BA.....

Mach1
01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
You wouldn't want to post any of this on SF, you'd get crucified by the airian lovers. I think it's time for airians to move on. Red zone O = pass the ball and milk the clock = pass the ball. :duh: 30th ranked RedZone O.

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I've hated this BA ball, but will admit, the defense should be pointed out as the season breaker! Was it 5 of the 7 losses we led going into the 4th??? I'm pretty sure, means the D wasn't doing their JOB!

BA or no BA whatever, the problem is much larger than our OC at this point!

steelerschick1220
01-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I think we need upgrades on both sides of the ball. D needs help and our O needs help in being more consistent.

As for Arians, Ben has had two of his best years under the guy and if Cowher and co. were still here, I don't think Ben would have ever had a 4,000 yard season, so it is cool that Arians did that. However, his play calling.....increadibly head scratching. He'll call a good half and then totally zone out and start calling the stupidest plays. My favorites though, are the games where he completely misses the ball and we do absolutely nothing until we go no huddle and Ben calls the shots.

In summary, Arians is good at developing a QB but sucks at calling a complete game.

NYCsteelersfan
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Cowher and Whisenhunt never use let Ben audible or have much say in the play-book or game plan......The offense under Cowher/Whisenhunt was a 1 or 2 read offense based off play-action passing with only Ben attempting 22 passes a game......

Tomlin/Arians has allowed Ben to audible and have much say in the play-book plus let Ben run the no huddle offense when Ben wants to.....Really let Ben become the NFL QB he can be........

Who really cares or what does it really matter if they didn't allow him to audible, make play-book decisions, game-plan decisions, throw the ball 30 or more times a game, be himself, or let him be the NFL QB he could be, fact still remains we were winning and winning consistently.

I understand what you're saying. Roethisberger looked like a "game manager" under Cowher and Wisenhunt and he looks like a "real NFL QB" under Tomlin and Arians. It's just that I personally prefer having a "game manager" on a team that wins consistently rather than having a "real NFL QB" who puts up very sweet stats on a team that consistently gets its *** handed to them.

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Our offense the last two years:

Lets look at the stats from last year to this year for the D!

2009 2008

Yards Per Game - 7th in NFL 22nd in NFL

Total Points - 11th in NFL 20th

Passing Yards - 7th in NFL 17th in NFL

Rushing Yards - 19th in NFL 23rd in NFL

Zachintosh66
01-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Carlos Rodgers would look sweet in Black and Gold!

scott0326
01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Carlos Rodgers would look sweet in Black and Gold!

Agreed, Im all for getting him as well!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Who really cares or what does it really matter if they didn't allow him to audible, make play-book decisions, game-plan decisions, throw the ball 30 or more times a game, be himself, or let him be the NFL QB he could be, fact still remains we were winning and winning consistently.

I understand what you're saying. Roethisberger looked like a "game manager" under Cowher and Wisenhunt and he looks like a "real NFL QB" under Tomlin and Arians. It's just that I personally prefer having a "game manager" on a team that wins consistently rather than having a "real NFL QB" who puts up very sweet stats on a team that consistently gets its *** handed to them.

Well Ben wasn't the problem this year and it was evident that the Steelers special teams and defense were responsible mainly for the close losses this year......I agree forget about stats but I do think we should maximize a players potential like Tomlin/Arians are doing with Ben......

You really think Ben just being a game manager would have kept the team in games this year then you're mistaken.....The Steelers don't have the OL to dominate front sevens across the NFL or the RB's to just pound the rock all day.....Mendenhall is a very good RB but he is built for the spread offense which the Steelers offense is now......

When Cowher and Whisenhunt both left the philosophy on offense changed and Tomlin/Arians are building the offense around Ben which they should when you have a franchise QB.......

I didn't want this to turn into a game manager debate....But just giving Arians some credit in Ben's development and that is all.....:lol:

--- Added 1/3/2010 at 11:15 PM ---

I think we need upgrades on both sides of the ball. D needs help and our O needs help in being more consistent.

As for Arians, Ben has had two of his best years under the guy and if Cowher and co. were still here, I don't think Ben would have ever had a 4,000 yard season, so it is cool that Arians did that. However, his play calling.....increadibly head scratching. He'll call a good half and then totally zone out and start calling the stupidest plays. My favorites though, are the games where he completely misses the ball and we do absolutely nothing until we go no huddle and Ben calls the shots.

In summary, Arians is good at developing a QB but sucks at calling a complete game.

I agree Arians drives me nuts with his play calls to....But every Steelers OC since I can remember drove me nuts....So the list is Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Ray Sherman, Kevin Gilbride, Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt, and yes Bruce Arians............It really doesn't matter who the OC is since I'm sure some Steelers fans will complain who ever the OC is.....lol

BA isn't the next Bill Walsh when it comes to offensive football but I don't think BA is as bad as some fans make him out to be......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Arians does deserve come credit for the development of Ben; I think he's done quite well, but also don't forget about Ken Anderson too. Building an offense around your super star QB is a no brainer, I get that totally. What I don't get is the time after time after time poor play calling, not using the no huddle, running in the worst situations you can run, passing when you should be running, and just generally being out of sync with the flow of the game. It's been that way all year and even last year and the year the before. Something has to give IMO; Arians needs to go but the roster itself needs overhauled too, including as we all know our wonderful ST coach.

Zachintosh66
01-04-2010, 01:34 AM
and OL Coach!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Arians does deserve come credit for the development of Ben; I think he's done quite well, but also don't forget about Ken Anderson too. Building an offense around your super star QB is a no brainer, I get that totally. What I don't get is the time after time after time poor play calling, not using the no huddle, running in the worst situations you can run, passing when you should be running, and just generally being out of sync with the flow of the game. It's been that way all year and even last year and the year the before. Something has to give IMO; Arians needs to go but the roster itself needs overhauled too, including as we all know our wonderful ST coach.

Top, no matter who the OC, there will always be complaints.....I remember complaining about Ron Erhardt, in my early teenager years.....lol I loved Chan Gailey and he was my favoirte OC the Steelers have had (Kordell had his best season under him).....:lol: I wanted to hang Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride and thought they were jokes as OC's for the Steelers....Murlarkey was alright but a tool at times.......In my opinion overall Coach Whiz was solid as an OC but I still had complaints about him.....

As fans were all think were OC's and no matter what we will have are issues with them.....I use to be one of BA's biggest haters but I realize there is bigger issues on this team and our offense is making strides under him.....I think keeping the core intact would be a smart move and that goes for the OC to........I just hink BA deserves some credit......

If the Steelers find the next great offensive mind and want to make him OC then I'm all for it but that isn't going to happen.....I think this team can do worse then BA as OC.......

What if the Steelers do bring in another OC and Ben doesn't get along with the new OC?......If Ben is happy with Bruce then I'm happy with Bruce...lol Really the only issues on offense all year was red zone offense......The play-calling was goofy all year when this team got into the red zone.....The red zone offense needs to be addressed heading into next season for sure.....

I have a question for all....Why does Coach LeBeau get a free pass?......I love Coach LeBeau but I think he deserves some of the blame for the defensive issues this year......If you're going to knock the OC for play calls and not making adjustments then I think its only fair that LeBeau should get some of the BA treatment for defensive play calls and not making adjustments as well .......:lol: Sure injuries are to blame for the defensive short comings...But LeBeau had no answers all year......

JensK
01-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Top, no matter who the OC, there will always be complaints.....I remember complaining about Ron Erhardt, in my early teenager years.....lol I loved Chan Gailey and he was my favoirte OC the Steelers have had (Kordell had his best season under him).....:lol: I wanted to hang Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride and thought they were jokes as OC's for the Steelers....Murlarkey was alright but a tool at times.......In my opinion overall Coach Whiz was solid as an OC but I still had complaints about him.....

As fans were all think were OC's and no matter what we will have are issues with them.....I use to be one of BA's biggest haters but I realize there is bigger issues on this team and our offense is making strides under him.....I think keeping the core intact would be a smart move and that goes for the OC to........I just hink BA deserves some credit......

If the Steelers find the next great offensive mind and want to make him OC then I'm all for it but that isn't going to happen.....I think this team can do worse then BA as OC.......

What if the Steelers do bring in another OC and Ben doesn't get along with the new OC?......If Ben is happy with Bruce then I'm happy with Bruce...lol Really the only issues on offense all year was red zone offense......The play-calling was goofy all year when this team got into the red zone.....The red zone offense needs to be addressed heading into next season for sure.....

I have a question for all....Why does Coach LeBeau get a free pass?......I love Coach LeBeau but I think he deserves some of the blame for the defensive issues this year......If you're going to knock the OC for play calls and not making adjustments then I think its only fair that LeBeau should get some of the BA treatment for defensive play calls and not making adjustments as well .......:lol: Sure injuries are to blame for the defensive short comings...But LeBeau had no answers all year......

Then Ben should stfu imo. You listen to the coach, and roll with the play he calls, like it or not. Been plenty of players saying that this year too - I really think Ben and BA is probably too good friends really. Ben could use a guy who tells him what to do, and not what he wants to do, because th playcalling gets really questionable at times...

LeBeau needs does not get a free pass in my book, but Steelers fans are good at remembering what players and coaches HAVE done instead of what they do, or at least they are better at forgiving. LeBeau did not have a good year at all, but he had his share of injuries to deal with as you said, and he his players did not perform well at all - at least our offensive players did that.

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I like BA as an offensive play designer. His plays have really helped Ben develop. These plays are also what Ben uses in the no huddle. So, my problem with BA is that he is a bad play caller. So either Tomlin needs to take over, let Ben call the plays all the time, or fire BA. To me those are the only three choices. Anytime you have a 4,000 passer, two recievers over 1,000 yards and a 1,000 yard rusher, you should be in the playoffs, and average more points per game than we did.

harroberts
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
THE STEELERS FINISHED 22 IN TOTAL OFFENSE IN 2008. THEY FINISHED 1ST IN TOTAL DEFENSE.WON SUPER BOWL. THE STEELERS FINISHED 7 IN TOTAL OFFENSE IN 2009.THEY FINISHED 5TH IN TOTAL DEFENSE, DIDN'T MAKE PLAYOFFS. I DON'T THINK THE OFFENSE IS THE MAIN PROBLEM. ITS THE DEFENSE BLOWING 4TH QUARTER LEADS.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
THE STEELERS FINISHED 22 IN TOTAL OFFENSE IN 2008. THEY FINISHED 1ST IN TOTAL DEFENSE.WON SUPER BOWL. THE STEELERS FINISHED 7 IN TOTAL OFFENSE IN 2009.THEY FINISHED 5TH IN TOTAL DEFENSE, DIDN'T MAKE PLAYOFFS. I DON'T THINK THE OFFENSE IS THE MAIN PROBLEM. ITS THE DEFENSE BLOWING 4TH QUARTER LEADS.

While I like the way this team finished hard and fought to the very last week for this Steelers team with as much talent as it has on offense and on defense, and as easy as this schedule was for them this season for them to not make the playoffs in my opinion was completely inexcusable and an absolute disgrace...

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I can't agree more! I was one calling for BA's head (and still am) but after watching yesterdays game it is very clear where we lost games, defense!

coldrolled
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Missing one stat.

28% on 3rd down conversions.....

we may be 28th-32nd in that catagory...

not including 48% red zone..... ouch....

we had 10000's of yards offense...... so did New Orleans. Whats their 3rd down conversion rate?

they scored over 30 in most games...

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Missing one stat.

28% on 3rd down conversions.....

we may be 28th-32nd in that catagory...

not including 48% red zone..... ouch....

we had 10000's of yards offense...... so did New Orleans. Whats their 3rd down conversion rate?

they scored over 30 in most games...

I agree the red zone play calling was absolutely horrific this season and is a clear indictment of Bruce Arians and his ability to call plays consistently. Those stats you just posted there above are all the evidence in the world you need to know to see how bad this team stinks in the red zone under BA. Which is all the more reason why come next week this time Bruce Arians had better no longer be employed by the Pittsburgh Steelers...

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Red zone offense was horrible. BA didn't seem to know when it was okay to try to run the ball into the end zone, and when it wasn't IMO. There was also so many opporunities for the Steelers to run out some clock in those close games, but couldn't do it. They would go run run run for 6 yards, and punt the ball, leaving the other team with enough time to score. BA played not to lose the game the entire season, they should have figured out that they need to play to win.

Azzurri
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I like Arians and he should continue as the OC in 2010. The problems this season were clearly on the defensive side of the ball...particularly the secondary after Troy went down, unmasking the deficiencies of William Gay and Ike Taylor. The loss of Aaron Smith was huge as well, and underrated when evaluating Steelers' problems on defense this season. Now, where I do fault Arians is that the Steelers run game is woefully inefficient and was unable to grind out any tough yards in the 4th quarter of games. We need to strengthen the offensive line and be able to line up and play smash mouth football when it counts. Saw a little of that yesterday in the final drive against the Dolphins, but it was missing all season, particularly in the games where 4th quarter leads were blown. The offensive is spectacular in its ability to move the football thru the air, but the run game needs serious improvement to be a more balanced attack.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I was done with Bruce Arians when he called that atrocious pitch play to Mewelde Moore on 3rd and 2 in Kansas City in overtime while the Steelers were close to being in FG range to win the game. Had they called anything else in that situation the Steelers win that game and the defense doesnt come back out on the field and get another chance to blow another game like they did that day in Kansas City...

Moondog
01-04-2010, 05:42 PM

AMEN!!! I said basically the exact same thing at the beginning of this thread. Every unit has had their inefficiency, but the defense has got to shoulder most of the blame. Replacing Arians IMO would be a bad move, the fact of the matter is this offense has improved. Sure they have things (red zone, etc) to work on but they have grown since 08 , bottom line. Installing a new system might slow progress instead of speeding it up. The Defense does not have the horses in the secondary which is painfully apparent when you have Gradowski looking like Joe Montana. Plus, age is a factor, the draft needs are on the defensive side of the ball for sure.

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
We're all on the outside looking in I guess, we don't know how Arians is in practice, if what he's doing is really improving the skill of the players, if the players like him, we don't know. However, if all that is true, if his work is helping the players, maybe they will keep him. But, if they do, I think the Steelers need to once again go the way of the Deadskins and maybe turn over his play calling abilities like they did with Jim Zorn, because that is not arguable..his play calls are horrible. I can't take another unconverted 3rd and 1 or field goal with 1st and goal at the 5.

scott0326
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
@ people saying the defense is the problem. Yes, defense was a problem, so were special teams. However, this offense should of scored more touchdowns in the red zone! The play calling is ridiculous sometimes, its so predictable... And that blame goes on Arians as it rightfully said. No one is saying defense and special teams weren't a problem, but the offensive coordinator can be upgraded and almost has too be.

Azzurri
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Losses attributable to the defense: KC, Oakland, Cincy (game 1)

Losses attributable to the offense: Cleveland, Cincy (game 2)

Both defense and offense contributing to losses: Chicago, Baltimore

Certainly a loss to Green Bay would've been attributable to the defense, but Roethlisberger and the offense bailed them out.

By and large, the blame for this season is shared, but most deserves to go to the defense (and particularly the secondary). Of course, one additional factor is clear in all of this and that is the special teams is atrocious and needs to be addressed.

Mach1
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Stole this from another site. It's nothing official yet.

Ken Laird reporting on ESPN radio right now that BA is officially outta here!!

SteelerSal
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Believe it when I actually see a link.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
One can only hope..

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
LOL, I got a tingle in my>>>>>>>

SteelerSal
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM

:lol:

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

my shoulder is twitching up to my ear......

floodcitygirl
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I've looked all over the site....haven't found anything yet.....

Mach1
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I've looked all over the site....haven't found anything yet.....

I've been looking too. Not found anything official yet.

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been looking too. Not found anything official yet.

Browns 13 Steelers 6

BA is ...............

:cursin::cursin:

Mach1
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Browns 13 Steelers 6

BA is ...............

:cursin::cursin:

30th in redzone offense. :rant2:

ejsteeler
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
It's official!!! he's gone!!!!!! :clap: :greenbounce2: :banana: :cope:

Mach1
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Did you find a link?

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
You SOB's better not be lying, I just got so excited I sent flowers to my wifey for no reason other than this! lol

lloydfan4life
01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I just heard the news here at work from a fellow Steeler fan who heard it on ESPN radio.

:danceshout: :danceshout: :danceshout: :danceshout: :danceshout:

on another note... Ken Anderson 'resigned' also. :woot:

one Bungle and one Browstain gone!!! :yellowthumb:

cmerrifield
01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I am finding all kinds of links saying that ESPN radio reported that he is gone, but no one is confirming these reports yet

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Need it in writing!

K Train
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
if this isnt true its ****ed up that it was posted lol

bring in weiss....please

Mach1
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
There's this...

http://kdka.com/

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
So I will now officially be re-entering Bruce Arians name into google search until I see a link that says, "Bruce Arians Fired."

coldrolled
Need it in writing!

Ken Laird of 1250 ESPN in Pittsburgh reports, via ProFootballTalk.com, that the Pittsburgh Steelers will fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

Arians joined the Steelers' coaching staff in 2004 and has coordinated the offense for the last three seasons. During those years, the offense has ranked 17th (2007), 22nd (2008) and this year ranked 7th, but the running game struggled with consistency and the bulk of those yards, and the offense's success, was dependent on Ben Roethlisberger's right arm.

No announcement has been made the team, and Mike Tomlin did not make mention of Arians' firing during today's press conference, so stay tuned.

lloydfan4life
They are planning a Parade in Pittsburgh now, right?? :greengrin:

DIESELMAN
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Report: Pittsburgh Steelers To Fire Bruce Arians

http://kdka.com/steelers/bruce.arians.fired.2.1406516.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers are apparently wasting no time in shaking things up after not making the playoffs and will reportedly fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians this week.

According to ESPN 1250's Ken Laird, the announcement was made shortly after 2 p.m. and after Mike Tomlin addressed the media during a weekly press conference.

The Steelers have made no official comment at this point,

Initially hired by Bill Cower to be the wide receiver coach and served three years in that position.

Arians was promoted to offensive coordinator in January of 2007 and just completed his third year with the team in that role.

Earlier in the day quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired from the NFL after 33 years as a player and a coach.

floodcitygirl
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Ken Laird reporting on ESPN radio right now that BA is officially outta here!!I think you're teasing us. Not very nice!!!!!!!

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Okay can I just say a pre-mature...

:tt02::cope::greengrin::yellowthumb::greenbounce2: :banana::clap:

...knock on wood.

Big T
Please lord please....I haven't asked too much from you recently...

lloydfan4life
This thread is on fire, baby! :danceshout:

Mach1
I think you're teasing us. Not very nice!!!!!!!

:greengrin: Nope, not trying to.

DIESELMAN
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I just hope they don't hire Zorn as the OC :greengrin:

Richmond Rukus
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
And this

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/05/report-bruce-arians-will-be-fired-in-pittsburgh/

K Train
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
this is something to get excited about....please at least give weis and interview

floodcitygirl
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Soon??? What do they mean "will be fired soon"???? Do they have any idea how freaking long we've been waiting??????!!!!

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Shut it! lol

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 02:15 PM ---

Will be hell unleashed in December too! Gotta hear it from Tomlin!

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Will be fired..thats like a definite yes right? Will..

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 02:25 PM ---

Jan 5, 2010 - The Steelers plan to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, according to ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh.

Arians was promoted from wide receivers coach to offensive coordinator by Mike Tomlin in 2007. Pittsburgh's points per game were up this season from last, and they were 7th in the NFL in yards per game. He also oversaw one of the best passing attacks in the league. But when Super Bowl teams miss the playoffs, people get fired.

Arians is the second Steelers coach to go so far this offseason. Earlier on Tuesday, QB coach Ken Anderson announced he is retiring.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/5/1235286/bruce-arians-fired-steelers-offensive-coordinator-mike-tomlin

..yeah, and when superbowl teams miss the playoffs because they couldn't score a touchdown against the browns..that's ESPECIALLY when people get fired.

Richmond Rukus
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Hell No, Maybe QB coach.

igor0190
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Excellent news!!

Big T
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Like Train said, Charlie Weis please...I'm not a huge fan of his but the man knows how to control an offense...he's just horrible defensively

TampaSteelGirl
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I was just about to post that little tid bit myself!!

He seriously needs to go....NOW!!! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Hell No, Maybe QB coach.

Not a bad idea!

Where will BA turn up this season? Bears?? Bills??

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 02:32 PM ---

Like Train said, Charlie Weis please...I'm not a huge fan of his but the man knows how to control an offense...he's just horrible defensively

HUGE, pun intended???

Big T
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
HUGE, pun intended???

not intended...but that is funny haha

SteelCityKid5
01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Ed Bouchette's PG+ written at 3:33 pm today...

Arians Still in the Building (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4407:arians-still-in-the-building&catid=58:ed-bouchette&Itemid=155)

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/rt_meridian_j15/images/printButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?view=article&catid=58%3Aed-bouchette&id=4407%3Aarians-still-in-the-building&tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=&option=com_content&Itemid=155)
Written by Ed Bouchette (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=profile&userid=71&Itemid=174) Tuesday, January 05, 2010 03:33 PM
Bruce Arians, gone? No, at least not yet. Local ESPN Radio 1250 has reported that Arians will be fired. That ultimately could prove to be true but if so, the front office does not know it yet and certainly Arians does not know it yet.
Maybe Mike Tomlin has decided to fire him and just has not told anyone, including Arians and the front office. Ken Laird, who reported the impending firing, is a good, young reporter who does not put stuff on the air willy-nilly. He’s around the team and has good sources.
Arians could be the subject of a tug of war between the coach and the front office. The front office would like him out. Now, what will the coach’s response be? Tomlin saved at least one special team coach’s job after his first season with the Steelers, but this is different. This would be a philosophical difference between the front office and the coach, if the coach decides to stand his ground.
The front office won that debate a few years ago when they first franchised Max Starks and then signed him to a fat contract, even though the coaches demoted Starks to a backup role.
And a first-year coach saving the job of a lower assistant is not the same as going to war over the offensive coordinator and philosophical differences in how that offense should be run. Still, Tomlin did coach that team to a Super Bowl win and two division titles in three years and it’s not like the team went into a deep dive this season.
The Steelers front office, though, is not above telling any coach what to do. They pressured Chuck Noll into making all kinds of changes on his staff after the 1988 season and Noll had four Super Bowl rings. Noll quit rather than make the changes they wanted after the 1991 season. I do not remember Bill Cowher ever getting an order to change coaches – he often did that on his own.
If Arians does get the axe, we will know which side prevailed on the issue.

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I knew it, not leget yet!

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
^ Why are you trying to crush all my hopes and dreams?

Sir Blitzelot
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
:pray: I hope this happens.

TampaSteelGirl
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
^ Why are you trying to crush all my hopes and dreams?

Hang in there girl...it will happen. Rooneys won't tolerate losing another season of playoffs.

DanRooney
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Ligshitsky gone yet?

lloydfan4life
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
STOP FREAKIN TEASING US!!!! JUST FIRE THE PRICK ALREADY! :rant2:

Big T
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Ligshitsky gone yet?

Hopefully soon....then they need to bring back Bobby April...

Zachintosh66
01-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Ken Laird reporting on ESPN radio right now that BA is officially outta here!!

Crossing fingers that this comes to light...

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
STOP FREAKIN TEASING US!!!! JUST FIRE THE PRICK ALREADY! :rant2:

Limas Sweed and Frank Summers are on their knees right now.....

:pray:

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Limas Sweed and Frank Summers are on their knees right now.....

:pray:

So is Ben in front of Tomlin, and he's not praying!!

cmerrifield
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Wexell's last tweet said one player has confirmed, but only one so far

lloydfan4life
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
So is Ben in front of Tomlin, and he's not praying!!

:rofl: I just spit my soda all over my monitor! :rofl:

Steel Trap86
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
LOL I love the anticipation

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
:rofl: I just spit my soda all over my monitor! :rofl:

lmao, sorry! :lol:

Ibleedblk&gld
01-05-2010, 05:34 PM
was this link already posted?

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/5/1235286/bruce-arians-fired-steelers-offensive-coordinator-mike-tomlin

thank god, it's about time...now, who will replace him?

Forged in Steel
01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I bet Arians will get a contract extension and will be with the Steelers for many years to come!

No, I do not want Arians back.

StlersGuy
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
was this link already posted?

thank god, it's about time...now, who will replace him?

:clap:

Clevelandsux
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I hope this isn't just wishful thinking. BA is a douchebag. A perfect example in the Miami game. We get a turnover onn a townsend Int. We have the lead and this jerkoff has Santonio Holmes throw a pass. Holmes is no Randle El. The pass was intercepted. Also a couple of stupid pass plays inside the goalline. Cleveland got rid of this guy for christ sakes!

What's Mike Mullarkey doing these days?

SteelCityKid5
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm not trying to crush peoples dreams with that last post. I'm just trying to provide the information I got so people on here arent misinformed.

This whole Arians thing right now reminds me when I would sit infront of the TV on a weeknight, while snowing outside, praying to see my school pop up on the screen saying they were canceled.

Right now I think we have a 2 hour delay.

igor0190
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I hope this isn't just wishful thinking. BA is a douchebag. A perfect example in the Miami game. We get a turnover onn a townsend Int. We have the lead and this jerkoff has Santonio Holmes throw a pass. Holmes is no Randle El. The pass was intercepted. Also a couple of stupid pass plays inside the goalline. Cleveland got rid of this guy for christ sakes!

If I recall correctly, the play was a throw to Santonio on the left side... who then started running to his right to throw the ball all the way across the field to a streaking Wallace on the RIGHT sideline!!!! Are you kidding me? Wouldn't even design a play like this where Ben had to throw it from the left hash to the right sideline. Absolutely BRUTAL.

SteelCityKid5
01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Is Mike Martz a possibility if Arians is gone or no?

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 05:57 PM

What's Mike Mullarkey doing these days?

Cleveland also put the nail in his coffin this year. And i think they put a nail in the afc north's coffin for next year. we will rock them now. we should have a balance like New Orleans with the right coach, we have the players.
:cope::cope::cope:

igor0190
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Is Mike Martz a possibility if Arians is gone or no?

HELL NO! Seriously, that's not funny.
Do you know what Mike Martz does to Offenses?

SteelCityKid5
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Thats why I posed the question. I didn't know.

igor0190
01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Thats why I posed the question. I didn't know.

Well basically Martz is a pass happy freak. He would turn our run/pass ratio to 70 pass / 30 run if we were lucky.

Ohh, and he pronounces Troy's name "Pola-MOOOOLO"
He's a douche.

Lol, this thread has 65 posts in 2 hours!

harpo
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Well basically Martz is a pass happy freak. He would turn our run/pass ratio to 70 pass / 30 run if we were lucky.

LMAO!!!!

:lol:

TheButt
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Not to rain on the parade... but you guys and gals do realize... there will be no playoffs next year either.....learning a new system , hiring a new OC ... getting all players on the same page and whatnot.

Im not saying he shouldnt be gone... but calm down people... the next douchebag could be worse for all we know.

Mark it down... 9--7 next year. Hopefully.

4000 yard passer -- 1000 yard rusher (another with 400) -- 2 - 1000 yard receivers.
Not good enough... your're outta here. LOL. All because you dont know how to call plays.... Douchebag be gone.

Mach1
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Zorn........:hidechair:

jpele
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
NFLN just reported that the special team coach and one or two staffers will be replaced. 5:34 PM

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
OK so where is the official, end all, be all link for this. I know PFT is reporting it, so is a few other sources, but I want a real link before I believe it. I got a text from KDKA saying he was going to be fired but I can't find anything on any of the Steelers media sites, or NFL so I'm not gonna full believe it yet till I see it.

In any event, let's not discount a successful season in 2010 just because we'll probably have a new OC. Tomlin isn't going to bring in someone to completely change the style of offense we have, or change our QB. He'll bring in someone with the same ideal's that he has, just with more of a creative nature to use what we have to our advantage and stop being so predictable.

TheButt
01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
In any event, let's not discount a successful season in 2010 just because we'll probably have a new OC. Tomlin isn't going to bring in someone to completely change the style of offense we have, or change our QB. He'll bring in someone with the same ideal's that he has, just with more of a creative nature to use what we have to our advantage and stop being so predictable.

:crossfingers:

Zachintosh66
01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
NFLN just reported that the special team coach and one or two staffers will be replaced. 5:34 PM

OC, OL? :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
just with more of a creative nature to use what we have to our advantage and stop being so predictable.

:cope::cope::cope::cope:

75Steeler
01-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I want to see it in writing on the Steelers website before I crack that celebration beer!

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm going crazy waiting for this. Either fire the guy or don't! Don't dangle this in front of our faces.."we will fire him." I want to see, "he has been fired."

SteelerRush
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I want to see it in writing on the Steelers website before I crack that celebration beer!
Totally agree.....
But I am excited as hell with the idea...

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=72936&catid=3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Thank God the Wicked Witch is DEAD!

tburg68
01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=72936&catid=3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That this is siting the same original source. Nothing new here.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
No? The original source said that they hadn't fired him yet..this says that they did.

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 07:28 PM ---

I don't know which "original source" you're speaking of either...

tburg68
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
No? The original source said that they hadn't fired him yet..this says that they did.

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 07:28 PM ---

I don't know which "original source" you're speaking of either...

They quote the same ORIGINAL source. They may have changed the words, but the SINGLE source remains the same. Check their website and see if their story is any different. I want BA to be gone as much as anyone. Lets wait for the Steelers to verify it before we celebrate.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I do not know the ORIGINAL source of which you speak. I had not yet read a source that said the Steelers fired Bruce Arians until that one..soo..

cmerrifield
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
The original source of all of this is that guy on ESPN radio. However, Jim Wexell said he had one player confirm this to him and the Steelers are not commenting, which means he probably is, if he wasnt, then they would deny it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not updating the news until this is confirmed for sure on one of the major NFL outlets or on the Steelers local media websites like the Trib or PG. Either way it's probably a foregone conclusion that he'll be fired but I'll wait to pop the cork on the champaign until it's officially official.

I'm watching all the media outlets constantly for any updates.

tburg68
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I do not know the ORIGINAL source of which you speak. I had not yet read a source that said the Steelers fired Bruce Arians until that one..soo..

The source of the article that YOU linked is the SAME source that ALL other news outlets that have run the story SO FAR have quoted. Your link is OLD NEWS because it sites the SAME source as everyone else. Again I want BA to be gone. The silence from the Steelers FO probably means it is true, BUT until they verify it, I will wait to pop the champagne.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not updating the news until this is confirmed for sure on one of the major NFL outlets or on the Steelers local media websites like the Trib or PG. Either way it's probably a foregone conclusion that he'll be fired but I'll wait to pop the cork on the champaign until it's officially official.

I'm watching all the media outlets constantly for any updates.

Fair enough. I like to get my hopes up extremely quickly.

The source of the article that YOU linked is the SAME source that ALL other news outlets that have run the story SO FAR have quoted. Your link is OLD NEWS because it sites the SAME source as everyone else. Again I want BA to be gone. The silence from the Steelers FO probably means it is true, BUT until they verify it, I will wait to pop the champagne.

Thanks for typing SLOW for me. I couldn't read it when you typed fast. And for the record, links like this one http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/5/1235286/bruce-arians-fired-steelers-offensive-coordinator-mike-tomlin, say that they will fire him, will, as sometime in the future. The link that I posted said that they had already fired him. Had, as in past tense. So sorry for thinking they're a little different..

DIESELMAN
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
As of 5:10 pm:

As per Jim Wexell who has insider information within the Steeler organization, heres what he has to say on what he knows.

Now, I talked to a source in the Steelers' front office and he had talked to Dan Rooney at length today. Rooney never mentioned that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had been fired. Their conversation took place prior to ESPN 1250 breaking the news that the firing of Arians is imminent, so he never asked Rooney directly.

However, had the firing been imminent, my source believes he would have heard something.

He does, I should tell you, believe Arians will be fired within the week. It's common knowledge on the South Side that the Rooneys disagree with Coach Mike Tomlin, who wants to keep Arians. The Rooneys normally let the coach do as he wishes, but I've been told that "outside investors have changed the culture down here." So, my front office source believes the Rooneys will force the firing soon.

Also, a player with the team has called his position coach and been told that, yes, Arians has been fired. I have calls out to other players, but they have not been returned. I'll let you know if and when I hear anything else. But the offices at the South Side are now closed, so I doubt my phone will be ringing. My instincts, added with what I've heard, tell me that ESPN Radio reporter Ken Laird has the story right and that Arians will soon be gone.

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I wonder if we can help him pack?? I got a shitload of boxes with his name on them!

jcloss23
01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
i just dont think itll happen...

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
There wouldn't be so much speculation going on right now if it wasn't going to happen eventually. It will happen..we just don't know when it'll be announced for sure..

Clevelandsux
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I heard they wanted to bring him back??????

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Tomlin does. I think Ben likes him too.

steelerschick1220
01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I would love for this to be true. I know Ben adores him, but the dude sucks at calling a consistent game. If we were more consistent, we would be in the playoffs right now, I think.

Bruce, if you're out, take the OL and ST coaches with you.

75Steeler
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I wonder if we can help him pack?? I got a shitload of boxes with his name on them!

:lol: :yellowthumb: I'm right with you. I have a **** load of packing tape!

jpele
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm not popping any corks until I see who replaces Arians. If the name Jim Zorn appears anyway connected to the Steelers, I will shoot myself.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-06-2010, 12:03 AM
The following is a quote from nfl.com three hours ago. how much noledge u think they got that no one else has is anybodies guess. "Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, largely responsible for abandoning the Steelers' long-standing commitment to the run to lean on a heavily pass-oriented system, was the assistant coach who was most critiqued during the season -- not only from outside the organization, but from within. Tomlin apparently wants Arians back -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, not surprisingly, is a major supporter of the coordinator -- but the Steelers' front office isn't believed to be totally in agreement with the abrupt change of direction".

I like the part about the front office not liking it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
If this doesn't happen after all this speculation, and we end up with the same asshat calling horrific plays for us next year I'm going to jump out my window!

Steel Trap86
01-06-2010, 02:38 AM
If this doesn't happen after all this speculation, and we end up with the same asshat calling horrific plays for us next year I'm going to jump out my window!

:lol: i hear that!

SteelCurtainYinzer
01-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I think we will be hearing about the state of Bruce Arians with in the next 48 hours. It could go either way. It's possible that he has dug his own grave and it wasn't only his play calling that will get him fired.
As I stated we will know his fate with in the next 48 hours. More later......

DIESELMAN
01-06-2010, 08:30 AM
According to Jim Wexell, as of 10:45pm last night.....:scratch:

10:45 p.m.: It's getting real weird out there with the Bruce Arians news. First of all, a third source tells me that Arians has not been fired. I'm also hearing from another reporter that Mike Tomlin has told his coaches that he's not making any changes.
OK, so why is ESPN Radio 1250 reporting -- now with near certainty -- that the Steelers' offensive coordinator will be fired?
Well, I just received a call from an impeccable source that Arians made up the rumor himself!
Why would anyone do that? My only guess is that he did it to embarrass the media, or parts of it, or one particular person. That's just a guess. Otherwise I have no idea. So I asked the source what will come of Arians now.
"His rumor will probably become a self-fulfilling prophesy," he said.
Stay tuned as The Arians Nation turns.

lloydfan4life
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Talk about premature ejaculation. :evilshake:
I got so excited when I first heard the news.... now it's rumored to be a rumor? :rant2:

C'mon, Mike, just dump the bum already!

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 09:48 AM
"Mike Tomlin has told his coaches that he's not making any changes."

This guy will lose my support soon!

harpo
01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
As of 5:10 pm:

As per Jim Wexell who has insider information within the Steeler organization, heres what he has to say on what he knows.

Good post. I've read a similar story on yahoo sports. Tomlin wants him back because Ben likes him but the front office does not support it. I think that he will be gone by the end of the week.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
let's start a fire arians petition and send it to the organization

cmerrifield
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I dont care if BA comes back as long as he doesnt call the plays. Either fire him, or get someone else calling the plays, especially on 3rd down and in the red zone.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
soo...since ken anderson retired...what do you guys think the chances are, they demote BA to QB coach, and bring in another OC? since ben likes him so much...

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Good post. I've read a similar story on yahoo sports. Tomlin wants him back because Ben likes him but the front office does not support it. I think that he will be gone by the end of the week.

Tomlin apparently wants Arians back—Ben Roethlisberger, not surprisingly, is a major supporter of him—but the Steelers’ front office is not believed to be totally in agreement with the abrupt change of direction. LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-tomlin&prov=ap&type=lgns) I was just reading that.

Bens' not the only one getting schooled by BA....Tomlin would be lost without him (BA) and I don't think he know how to go out and hire someone else. Anyone new that is hired will be made by someone other than Tomlin.

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
soo...since ken anderson retired...what do you guys think the chances are, they demote BA to QB coach, and bring in another OC? since ben likes him so much...
Anything that gets him out of play calling I'm all for.....:yesnod:

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Anything that gets him out of play calling I'm all for.....:yesnod:

same here...

just a thought though, as this idea would keep him w/ tomlin and ben, and he'd be able to focus on ben, dixon, and whoever our 3rd may be

coldrolled
01-06-2010, 10:54 AM
same here...

just a thought though, as this idea would keep him w/ tomlin and ben, and he'd be able to focus on ben, dixon, and whoever our 3rd may be

tomlin answers this...

How much change will be necessary over the upcoming months to return the Steelers to the status of championship contenders?

“We’re in the process of discovering that, or finding that out,” said Tomlin. “I’d like to think that we have enough quality people and top-notch players and coaches that we’ll perennially be in the fight. That’s my feeling, but I’m going to let the videotape talk to me and guide me as we prepare for 2010. One thing I acknowledge is that, like I always say, things rarely stay the same.

“You have to proceed with that assumption in mind.”

steelerschick1220
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
This idea, I like.

I wish we find out the answer to this "rumor" soon. I want to know if I can celebrate or look forward to another year of sucktastic playcalling.

75Steeler
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
This idea, I like.

I wish we find out the answer to this "rumor" soon. I want to know if I can celebrate or look forward to another year of sucktastic playcalling.

"Sucktastic" I like that word!! It describes this whole season from the time they announced Troy's first knee injury till now. Minus a few wins against good teams "Sucktastic" pretty much sums it up!

I'd like to use it in a sentence: Bruce Arians "Sucktastic" playcalling is so predictable that "Sucktastic" teams like Oakland, Cleveland, and KC beat the superbowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers this year.

There I feel a little better.

DanRooney
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Ben needs a brand new QB coach to help him identify his flaws. It almost seems like he's content with the way he's playing (and Arians let's him do what he wants most of the time), but he can be a top 3 instead of a top 5-8 QB in this league if he can read what's in front of him a little better. He needs to get better at identifying his quick outs and getting the ball to them when he's in trouble instead of hoping to break a tackle and chug it 40 yards downfield.

JensK
01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/

Have a look at the two first articles. Good stuff

LarryNJ
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/

Have a look at the two first articles. Good stuff

:yellowthumb:

“It limits you way too much,” Arians said. “It limits what you can do offensively. You take away a lot of your play-action game and things you can do with a game plan. You basically don’t have a game plan. If you go no-huddle [all the time], shoot, I can take every night off.

And what's wrong with that? :lol:

coldrolled
01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
with arians...

two scenarios - they are offering him a lessor job.. #1

or maybe they are being nice and giving him the option to resign with no pay, then look for a job not being fired. or get fired and get some steeler pay... knowing he wont get a job #2

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
with arians...

two scenarios - they are offering him a lessor job.. #1

or maybe they are being nice and giving him the option to resign with no pay, then look for a job not being fired. or get fired and get some steeler pay... knowing he wont get a job #2

I say let him stay as QB coach, the guy isn't a total waste just his play calling 90% of the time.

Ambridge
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I have a gut feeling that if Arians isn't fired by the end of the week or the latest early next week that absolutely NOTHING is going to happen and we get more of the same kind of Garbage play calling next year. :evilshake:

Big T
01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Report: Arians leaked word of his coming demise

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2010 12:50 PM ET

On Tuesday, Ken Laird of ESPN Radio reported that the Steelers will be firing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians "in the coming days."

But coach Mike Tomlin made no mention of Arians during a season-ending press conference, and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said in a Tuesday online chat that he expects Arians to return.

So what gives?* Well, Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.com reports, via Twitter,*that Arians leaked word of impending pink slip to Laird, and that the Steelers aren't happy.

It's not clear whether Arians was simply being premature, or whether he was spreading untruths about himself in the hopes of making his wish come true.*

If the latter is the case, why not simply descrate the uniform of the late Terry Bradshaw or tie those six Lombardis to the bumper of his Buick and take a spin around the Heinz Field parking lots?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/report-arians-leaked-word-of-his-coming-demise/

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
BA = STUPID!

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't mind keeping him in Pittsburgh since the players now are expressing that they like him. If he meshes well will the offense, then so be it. But like others have said, I would like his playcalling privleges revoked. Maybe Mike Tomlin and the front office can come to some sort of an agreement?

Big T
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
BA = STUPID!

Oh for sure...WTF?

HUNT4SEVEN
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Better yet he should just quit, since he's so unhappy.....what a @zz Hole

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
yes the hits just keep on coming, good news BUT ... would you guys rather hire a new OC and have all new terminology or keep within? Cause if we go outside, it will be a new offense and it could be a slow one to pick up

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
yes the hits just keep on coming, good news BUT ... would you guys rather hire a new OC and have all new terminology or keep within? Cause if we go outside, it will be a new offense and it could be a slow one to pick up

I agree, it'll be a learning curve, BUT Tomlin needs to limit the new guy on what is changed, and to be honest BA's deadbeat *** could of made his offense work but chose not to!

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
No I agree but was just wondering

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Better yet he should just quit, since he's so unhappy.....what @zz Hole
Maybe if he gets Fired he thinking about collecting unemployment...:duh:

If the guy is lying to the media whats he doing behind close doors....What an *******!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Nope boys & girls, the latest from the PG says the following...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm

Steelers: Zierlein out, Arians stays
Wednesday, January 06, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and told Bruce Arians he will be retained as the team's offensive coordinator, the Post-Gazette has learned.
Arians, who has a year remaining on his contract, had a long meeting today with Coach Mike Tomlin and was told he will return in that position in 2010.
Under Arians, the Steelers offense produced a 4,000-yard quarterback, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard running back in 2009 for the first time in franchise history.
Even though the running game improved this season from their Super Bowl season in 2008, averaging 112.1 yards per game, Zierlein was dismissed after Roethlisberger was sacked a personal-high 50 times this season.

First published on January 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm

[/URL]

[URL="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm#ixzz0brn6AhGP"]
(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm#ixzz0brnBSowW)

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
The Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and told Bruce Arians he will be retained as the team's offensive coordinator, the Post-Gazette has learned.
Arians, who has a year remaining on his contract, had a long meeting today with Coach Mike Tomlin and was told he will return in that position in 2010.
Under Arians, the Steelers offense produced a 4,000-yard quarterback, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard running back in 2009 for the first time in franchise history.
Even though the running game improved this season from their Super Bowl season in 2008, averaging 112.1 yards per game, Zierlein was dismissed after Roethlisberger was sacked a personal-high 50 times this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm#ixzz0brn62KRW

:duh::crying: :crying:

Zachintosh66
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
im gonna cut someone!

cmerrifield
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, hopefully part of that talk with Tomlin was for BA to work on play calling and offensive game plans. I am disappointed, but hopefully BA gets better. It was fun to think about while it lasted.

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
im gonna cut someone!

If you do, can you preferably make it Bruce Arians? Or Mike Tomlin..either one would be just great.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
wow...tomlin just lost a lot of respect from me...

thank you FO for not putting your foot down...let's enjoy another season of missed opportunity in 2010...maybe THEN, the appropriate moves will be made

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
So you fire the offensive line coach, but you retain an OC that is clearly out of his league and has turned us into a pass first team that can't score from the redzone, can power run anything, and can't be anything more than predictable. It's fine that Ben threw for 4000 yds, and Mendenhall rushed for a 1000 yds, but we were clearly out of our league in any type of power running game, we become so predictable any time could figure us out in the 2nd half without any issue at all. How many more chances do you get man!!! :wtf:

Wow, I'm so happy... :evilshake:

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

thank you FO for not putting your foot down...let's enjoy another season of missed opportunity in 2010...maybe THEN, the appropriate moves will be made

Me too. I thought Tomlin would do what needed to be done...and this did need to be done. He's gonna hear a lot of **** from the fans for this that's for damn sure.:banging:

lloydfan4life
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM

:ditto:

:wtf: is Tomlin thinking??? :evilshake:

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
so...about that petition...

Steel Trap86
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I was looking forward to some change, but I knew it was to good to be true, never believe bullshit rumors.

lloydfan4life
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
so...about that assassination...

fixed it for ya :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Reporter: So Mr. & Mrs. John Q Steelerfan, how do you feel about the execution of your team this season.

Fans: We're in favor of it!

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
fixed it for ya :yellowthumb:

lmao, that too

we should write a letter w/ a petition and send it to the organization

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Tomlin is keeping this *******!

lloydfan4life
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally this news of BA getting fired made not making the playoffs this year a little easier to stomach.... not anymore! DAMNIT!!!! :rant2:

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah..what's the point of not making it to the playoffs if they don't fire Bruce Arians? Next thing you know they'll decide to keep William Gay and start him again next year.

coldrolled
Originally this news of BA getting fired made not making the playoffs this year a little easier to stomach.... not anymore! DAMNIT!!!! :rant2:

Maybe they will remove the play calling from his duties......

Prosdo
This just sucks. I don't understand why they are keeping this guy. He had more than enough time to prove himself and all he proved was that he sucked!

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I guess Tomlin won't be taking picture at training camp next season. :thinking: After the 1st day or 2 of getting his *** reamed by fans for retaining BA, He's going to to be like "F*ck that!"

Like I said in another thread, Ben is not the only one getting schooled by BA. Tomlin doesn't have the knowledge nor the balls to go find someone else. IMO

coldrolled
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe if he gets Fired he thinking about collecting unemployment...:duh:

If the guy is lying to the media whats he doing behind close doors....What an *******!

Take the play calling away from him...

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I told ALLLLL of you... Ben runs this team and I bet he had something to do with this

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I told ALLLLL of you... Ben runs this team and I bet he had something to do with this

I agree 1000000% man!

Maybe, just maybe he's staying as the QB coach/ oline coach??????

Zachintosh66
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/heffrandotnet/death-to-smoochy.png

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry Mendy, we tried!!

LarryNJ
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah..what's the point of not making it to the playoffs if they don't fire Bruce Arians? Next thing you know they'll decide to keep William Gay and start him again next year.

:lol::lol: Nice!

Ben runs this team and I bet he had something to do with this

That's a very good point. If it's true that's a very bad sign of things to come. Or maybe a good sign. Remember when Mario (the player) ran the Penguins, Scotty Bowman the winningest coach ever didn't even go to practices. Maybe Ben will take over and BA won't come to work on Sundays.

PsychoWard
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Son of a bitch.... ****!!!!!

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm just saying, before Cowher and Ben had a riff now that Ben has Arains as his coordinator (who released the handcuffs on him) its going to be tough for Tomlin to ever fire his $100 mill QB's favorite coordinator. Ben wants complete control of the offense and thats what hes getting with Arians.

Mach1
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin:

That sucks the big one.

TEEMONT
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow, what a bunch of whining!

Do you people really think B.A. is the reason we didn't make the playoffs?!

The funny thing is, the Defense let the Steelers down much more often than the O, and not one person is blaming that on Lebeau (myself included), however, if they don't put up 30 points in a game everyone here blames BA. Lets look at the o-line, lets look at dropped passes, lets look at Ben holding the ball forever. It's not all on BA.

Not a single ****ing person here said a word after his perfectly called SB winning drive, that was almost ruined by the O-line holding. Ben was awesome on that drive, but someone called all the plays.

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM

The funny thing is, the Defense let the Steelers down much more often than the O, and not one person is blaming that on Lebeau (myself included), however, if they don't put up 30 points in a game everyone here blames BA. Lets look at the o-line, lets look at dropped passes, lets look at Ben holding the ball forever. It's not all on BA.

Not a single ****ing person here said a word after his perfectly called SB winning drive, that was almost ruined by the O-line holding. Ben was awesome on that drive, but someone called all the plays.

No, the defense definitely had an impact, but it wasn't Lebau's fault. Lebeau called the right plays but didn't have players to execute with..BA had an great amount of offensive weapons and couldn't use them. Besides the fact that Lebeau would never be fired from Pittsburgh.

& BA isn't going to be rewarded and praised for calling the right plays, that's what the offensive coordinator is supposed to do in the first place. I personally don't care what he did a year ago, this year he hasn't called anything right.

Zachintosh66
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Was the SB hurry up with Ben calling the shots?

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Would of scored a few more TD's in the redzone, sure we'd won more games and made the PO's!

TEEMONT
01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Was the SB hurry up with Ben calling the shots?

The man wears a wristband that he looked at on every play of that drive, and a speaker in his helmet.

andyg1984
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
how is BA sooooo bad?

don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan, but to say that he was the most significant reason for a down season just seems silly with how awful the secondary/ST was this year ..

the nfl is a passing league .. forget about hiring an OC that favors the running game some of you are hoping for because they do not exist these days ..

again, not a huge fan .. but i am just surprised there is such united thought

UKSTEELER
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Another whole season of BA bashing, . . .crikey!

I'm going t have to find some new angles, . . . im sure Bruce will come up with even more new ways of not winning games!

This is bad news! Period!

This defense has bailed out our offense for years, all of a sudden the defense struggles, did the O pick up the slack, no, no and no.

The game at Cleveland alone ought to have been enough to get him fired!

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
how is BA sooooo bad?

don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan, but to say that he was the most significant reason for a down season just seems silly with how awful the secondary/ST was this year ..

the nfl is a passing league .. forget about hiring an OC that favors the running game some of you are hoping for because they do not exist these days ..

again, not a huge fan .. but i am just surprised there is such united thought

BA wasn't the most significant reason that the team under achieved, but he was a significant reason. Seeing as they will (hopefully) be making changes in the secondary in the offseason, I just don't see why they wouldn't do the same in the offense.

An OC like BA who favored the pass is fine when we had Willie Parker as a starter, but now we have Mendenhall who could do some serious damage if he got the ball more often. There's no point in having a power runner like him if he doesn't get the ball at all..especially on 3rd and shorts and goal line situations.. :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Nobody here is saying that Arians didn't have a part in the SB winning drive; that would be stupid. What most of us are thinking, atleast I would hope so, is that watching this season it's obvious that there are lots of places to cast the blame, and Arians is definitely one of them. Play calling in the red zone was terrible, (our redzone percentage the last half of year was horrific), we had no solid running game, we couldn't do anything but pass and occasionally run instead of being balanced. We became, and have been the last 2 years, very predictable on offense. Anybody with half a brain could figure us out.

Plain and simple, I don't care how much Ben threw for, or how much Mendy ran for, anybody who watched us knew our offense was horrific in the 2nd half of most of the games. Even the last 3 that we won we had to make a miracle comeback to do it. The offense needs to be balanced so we can convert on 3rd short as well as using our passing game. Use the run to set up the pass, or vice versa, I don't give a damn, but geez stop giving games away on offense because you refuse to adapt to the flow of the game. So fix the personnel issues, but lets fix the coaching issues too as we go.

The defense had it own issues, there's is NO doubt of that, but the offensive side is what we're talking about here.

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
WTF!!!!! Damn, ruined my entire day!

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Just goes to show you how Stupid Pro Football Talk is.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
We can look at this whole situation like this. Both Tomlin and Arians have 1 year left on their contracts. Considering our redzone inefficiency, the no rhyme or reason play calling, Tomlin has handcuffed himself to BA for 1 more year. Consider also that some new owners have influenced the Rooneys into considering firing Arians (if thats true). If we don't make the playoffs next year, its going to get real interesting come Jan 2011.

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
^^ Interesting in that the fans will probably go crazy enough that we'll have to stage a coup..

K Train
01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
**** you tomlin i used to like you.....get ready for another mediocre season of disappointment

Ibleedblk&gld
01-06-2010, 07:57 PM

no one is saying BA is THE reason we didn't make the playoffs...obviously the D (secondary) blew 5 games in the 4th quarter...that's not lebeau's fault, he can't control gay, carter, or ike...he can only call the play, and it's their job to make the plays

we've been blaming the o-line for 2-3 yrs. now, and i'm still the #1 willie colon hater, i don't care what anyone has to say about him, i'm not changing my mind

dropped passes happen...last i checked, no one on the steelers lead the league, or come close to leading the league in dropped passes...so they weren't a huge cause on the losses (maybe a few here and there)

every year, and damn near every game, we bitch about ben holding the ball too long...so of course he's to blame for some of it

last year's SB drive has nothing to do w/ the horrible calls this year...let me run a few genius plays called by BA this year

3rd and 1: empty backfield
3rd and 7+: pitch to memo
INT by deshea, next play (in miami territory, with a chance to go up big): santonio pass which was intercepted
run, run, pass...run, run, pass...run, run, pass: 3 possessions in a row, which led to...3 punts

anyone want to add to this list? thinking about all these plays is just pissing me off all over again

edit: adding to all these empty backfield plays on 3rd and short...we have a power runner in mendy, so why not run him in these situations? no, he's no bettis...he might not have the power to push 3-4 guys..but hell, he's got the maneuverability

jpele
01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Third and one,empty backfield from the shotgun,sack. Gotta love it.

harpo
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I've been reading where Arians will STILL be in charge of the offense, so I think we can put to rest him being demoted to QBs coach. From what i've read regarding his meeting with Tomlin, he will retain control of the offense with the agreement that some philosophical changes must take place on offense (if I had to guess? more balance on the offensive side of the ball).

Here's the article:

Arians not fired (http://kdka.com/steelers/Bruce.Arians.Steelers.2.1409360.html)

:banging::cursin::evilshake:

Captcoolhand
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Third and one,empty backfield from the shotgun,sack. Gotta love it.OR Third and one,empty backfield from the shotgun, 40 yd incomplete pass. :duh:

jpele
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
We can look at this whole situation like this. Both Tomlin and Arians have 1 year left on their contracts. Considering our redzone inefficiency, the no rhyme or reason play calling, Tomlin has handcuffed himself to BA for 1 more year. Consider also that some new owners have influenced the Rooneys into considering firing Arians (if thats true). If we don't make the playoffs next year, its going to get real interesting come Jan 2011.

Don't count on that, the FO wanted Arians fired in 2007,but Tomlin got his way. Now he just won again. If we only had someone to call the plays in the red zone I'd be happy with B.A.

One other point, things may improve with a new O'line coach. Ben will still cause a lot of sack because he holds the ball for up to 6 seconds,but the run game could improve.

SteelerRush
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Wasn't expecting that.....:banging:

I said to a freind and Steeler fan three weeks ago that Ariens will go back to what he did when he opened up the offense the year we won the first superbowl with Ben and came out throwing in the playoffs when everyone was expecting us to run the football.:thinking:

If thats the way were gonna play then stop F*^;in around and throw the ball like he did the last three games to save his JOB!!!!!:evilshake:

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Tomlin just won't do what needs to be done. He has a real problem with a seniority complex. He wouldn't play Mendenhall until Parker got injured, he wouldn't sit Gay for one of the rookies, and he won't fire Arians..well..I don't really know why he won't. Tomlin needs to get over it and do what's best.

SteelerRush
01-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Tomlin dashed all our hope for a new OC and now we must wait and see what they do in the draft an FA.

Anyone hear anything about the ST coach?

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
What I don't understand right now is why all the reporters were so sure that Arians would be fired? They practically said that it was a definite..

75Steeler
01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Wasn't Arians himself saying that he thought he was getting the axe? :cursin:

jtretz
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I just read that Tomlin will retain Arians as offensive co-ordinator. :cursin: That is such bullsh*t! He says that the bottom line is winning. Then fire Arians if you want to win! He is the most predictable offensive co-ordinator in football! That's why we can't score in the red zone. His brutal play calling cost us many games and ultimately a playoff birth! Just because we were scoring points in the last 3 games doesn't mean sh*t. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!! Wake up Tomlin! He is brutal and if you go back and review the f***ing tapes carefully like you should be doing you would see this. I can't believe there are Steeler fans out there that actually think Arians coming back is a good thing! They all need to go back to watching soccer!!:cope:

steelersbabex25
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah..this is already on like 4 threads. :)

LatrobePA
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Wasn't Arians himself saying that he thought he was getting the axe? :cursin:

I think that is a 3 way sexual term they use (Tomlin, BA, Ben)...

Callax
01-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I just read that Tomlin will retain Arians as offensive co-ordinator. :cursin: That is such bullsh*t! He says that the bottom line is winning. Then fire Arians if you want to win! He is the most predictable offensive co-ordinator in football! That's why we can't score in the red zone. His brutal play calling cost us many games and ultimately a playoff birth! Just because we were scoring points in the last 3 games doesn't mean sh*t. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!! Wake up Tomlin! He is brutal and if you go back and review the f***ing tapes carefully like you should be doing you would see this. I can't believe there are Steeler fans out there that actually think Arians coming back is a good thing! They all need to go back to watching soccer!!:cope:

face it
ariens sucks
legshitsky sucks

fire both get Billick and B April
things would be OK

jcloss23
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
what a bum...

DIESELMAN
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't count on that, the FO wanted Arians fired in 2007,but Tomlin got his way. Now he just won again. If we only had someone to call the plays in the red zone I'd be happy with B.A.

One other point, things may improve with a new O'line coach. Ben will still cause a lot of sack because he holds the ball for up to 6 seconds,but the run game could improve.
That was 2007, the Steelers have only had new ownership since 2008. So with new ownership, there could be some bigger influence next season. Who knows :dunno: just sayin.....

SteelCityKid5
01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Still love Tomlin.. Ben has more to do with this than anyone, listen to the recent interviews he had talking about the offense not running the ball. Yeah it sucks now but God knows what next year will bring.

Troyisabeast_43
One thing we are starting to learn more and more about Mike Tomlin is he is stubborn when it comes to making drastic changes and likes sticking with status quo more times then not. See Gay continuing to play as another example. Arians staying and this defense having holes in the secondary especially at the corner position next season is on Tomlin's head here and nobody else's. Both of these areas had better improve under Tomlin's leadership either by making personnel changes in the secondary or Arians finding ways to score more points in the red zone.

Like Ive been saying on here for the last month guys the honeymoon period and the *** kissing of Mike Tomlin here in Pittsburgh if you listen to the talk shows and read the papers is over with...Tomlin's going to need to start doing things a little bit differently and adapt to change here better then he is now or he is going to be under a ton of heat come next season if the team continues to lose and play down to inferior competition and the same problems keep occuring without any changes being made...

andyg1984
there is nothing BA can do about how bad Justin Hartwig sucks as well as inconsistent play at RG .. I think Colon, Starx and Kemo are all solid .. but when you have two glaring weaknesses at RG/C sitting next to each other you simply cannot convert third and short ..

the captains of the ship have more to do with the personnel than BA does so all this bashing is seriously out of proportion

IMO there were two "prospects" at center last year (Mack, Wood)who were maybe the best since Mangold(sp?) .. after watching what Dockett did to the Hartwig/DST blooper show in SB 43 you would think that would be addressed relative to a position change player .. the draft was not short of prospects at guard either in late rounds (Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson) !

lloydfan4life
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
there is nothing BA can do about how bad Justin Hartwig sucks as well as inconsistent play at RG .. I think Colon, Starx and Kemo are all solid .. but when you have two glaring weaknesses at RG/C sitting next to each other you simply cannot convert third and short ..

the captains of the ship have more to do with the personnel than BA does so all this bashing is seriously out of proportion

IMO there were two "prospects" at center last year (Mack, Wood)who were maybe the best since Mangold(sp?) .. after watching what Dockett did to the Hartwig/DST blooper show in SB 43 you would think that would be addressed relative to a position change player .. the draft was not short of prospects at guard either in late rounds (Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson) !

We're not talking about the players not being able to execute plays here. We're talking about the ****** play calling itself, and that rests on BA's shoulders. He's so freakin predictible calling plays my mom even knows what's coming.

I have to agree with ktrain on this one, and I quote, "**** you tomlin i used to like you.....get ready for another mediocre season of disappointment".

lloydfan4life
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
It's rather obvious that BA is a terrorist sent from the Brownstain organization to infiltrate and ruin what was once a blue collar, smash mouth football franchise.

Think about it folks. When is the last time you saw the Steelers so unmotivated and unprepared to face the Shitstains? When is the last time you saw them lose to those same Stains?

I'm telling you... there's a mole in the house! He's slowly orchestrating our demise.

:hehheh:

LatrobePA
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
<QUOTE>I have to agree with ktrain on this one, and I quote, "**** you tomlin i used to like you.....get ready for another mediocre season of disappointment".

That sums it up!!

coldrolled
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
<QUOTE>I have to agree with ktrain on this one, and I quote, "**** you tomlin i used to like you.....get ready for another mediocre season of disappointment".

That sums it up!!

Not all OC's call the plays. Hopefully... :pray: They give that duty to someone new.
:yellowthumb: