PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here think it's a strange coincidence...

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
That the Steelers missed the playoffs 4 times this decade and each time they missed it it occured every 3 years in 2000,2003,2006,and now this season in 2009. Now ironically both times they missed it in 2006 and now this season in 2009 they came off of Super Bowl wins. But aside from that does anyone think it has anything to do with something going on in the front office or just the parity and the cyclical nature of the NFL today??

jcloss23
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
lol, dont look into this too much man, we killed ourselves this year for sure!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Ya know, the conspriracy theory is always alive and well professional sports, the NFL is no different. Nobody ever knows for sure if there is any truth to it or not, and I'm quite certain the NFL is as sneaky as any other big corporation, in achieving their goals. One would think that if there ever was such a thing going on behind the scenes, it would have come out long before now. Let's face, there's more than enough people willing to spill their guts for a buck or 2 about virtually anything under the sun.

All I know is, we played like crap for 5 weeks and we are paying the price for it now.

OC Steel Curtain
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Then the NFL planned it soo perfectly for Holmes the catch the Super Bowl winning Touchdown in the Back Right Corner of the End Zone :clap:

K Train
01-04-2010, 06:36 PM
well they would be in the playoffs if they beat the browns

or the chiefs

or the raiders

which all should have been won, the fact that there was a chance yesterday was amazing

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Actually I'm going to put some more thought into this....Does anybody remember the 2000 season really well?......I do and I remember there was three games (the Eagles in particular) were the Steelers really were screwed by bad calls.....I do understand that good teams over come bad calls........But the Steelers received a couple letters from the NFL of apology for the bad calls......Steelers win just one of those games and they're in that year......

2003-The Tommy Gunn experiment ran its course and he was done....

2006-The motorcycle accident and Ben's other health issues were a huge reason for the 8-8 record....Plus Cowher throwing in the towel all year since it was his last year as HC......

2009-Blowing 5 4th quarter leads was the reason this team is 9-7.......

The NFL you need to be lucky and good....Some times the bounces go your way like last year.....Lets be honest the Steelers were a very good team in 2008 for sure but we got some breaks as well in some games..........They were lucky they didn't have to go to Tennessee to face the Titans in the AFC title game and got the Ratbirds in Pittsburgh instead.....Going to Tennessee would have been much tougher in my opinion.....Plus the Steelers got some calls their way last year....Like Holme's TD catch in Baltimore....I agree that it was a TD but all I'm saying the ref easily could have not called it a TD.....

Like I said sometimes a team gets the breaks and some bounces go their way during a course of the season......In 2000, 2006, and 2009 the Steelers didn't get as many breaks in my opinion....Just another perspective on it......

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Actually I'm going to put some more thought into this....Does anybody remember the 2000 season really well?......I do and I remember there was three games (the Eagles in particular) were the Steelers really were screwed by bad calls.....I do understand that good teams over come bad calls........But the Steelers received a couple letters from the NFL of apology for the bad calls......Steelers win just one of those games and they're in that year......

2003-The Tommy Gunn experiment ran its course and he was done....

2006-The motorcycle accident and Ben's other health issues were a huge reason for the 8-8 record....Plus Cowher throwing in the towel all year since it was his last year as HC......

2009-Blowing 5 4th quarter leads was the reason this team is 9-7.......

The NFL you need to be lucky and good....Some times the bounces go your way like last year.....Lets be honest the Steelers were a very good team in 2008 for sure but we got some breaks as well in some games..........They were lucky they didn't have to go to Tennessee to face the Titans in the AFC title game and got the Ratbirds in Pittsburgh instead.....Going to Tennessee would have been much tougher in my opinion.....Plus the Steelers got some calls their way last year....Like Holme's TD catch in Baltimore....I agree that it was a TD but all I'm saying the ref easily could have not called it a TD.....

Like I said sometimes a team gets the breaks and some bounces go their way during a course of the season......In 2000, 2006, and 2009 the Steelers didn't get as many breaks in my opinion....Just another perspective on it......

That's a pretty good assessment of things 32 and I agree with pretty much everything you say. I do remember those games as well in 2000 against I believe the Eagles,Titans,and the Browns where they got terrible calls against them then got letters of apologies after the fact. Im not saying there is a conspiracy or anything like that because I definitely dont think there is I just find it to be one of those strange stats for a team that doesnt miss the playoffs all that often did it every 3 years 4 straight times. You wont see that too often Im guessing if you look back and do some history. The bottom line is for the 2009 season the Steelers had too many key injuries on defense losing Troy and Smith and just didnot make those critical one or two plays in the close games that they made last year in 2008 when they won all of those games and went on to win the Super Bowl.

While I would have loved to see this team sneak in the playoffs Im glad now this season is over and that we can finally begin to look forward to next season and how to get this team back on the winning track and back into the playoffs. Seeing this secondary and defense continue to get burned each and every week the last 6-7 weeks was really getting old and Im finally glad that it's done and over with and hopefully we wont have to ever see it again and begin the process of improving this secondary a lot for next season.

beaver688
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
any sport can and is fixed asked the bookies they will tell you.

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
well they would be in the playoffs if they beat the browns

or the chiefs

or the raiders

which all should have been won, the fact that there was a chance yesterday was amazing

Spot freaking on!

steelerschick1220
01-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Every three years???? Well, that's a bit ironic. Hopefully we'll leave that streak in this decade.

LarryNJ
01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
just the parity and the cyclical nature of the NFL today??

I'd say it's just the parity of the NFL today. You have a few very bad organizations and the rest of the league. There's a very fine line between winning and losing. A key play or 2 a game. Plays like the int we got against the Cowboys or Troys against the Ravens just didn't happen this year. We weren't that much better than everyone last year and we aren't that much worse this year.

Stlrs4Life
01-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I agree with TG and 32.

Forged in Steel
01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
This "miss the playoffs every three years" crap is annoying as hell! Next non-playoff season: 2012-2013. Sorry to be negative but...

Dean Denton
01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I think these guys just fell on their faces. Too full of themselves after winning the superbowl. There is no fix or anyone out to get the Steelers. The NFL would be stupid to try and keep TV's biggest sports draw off the air for the playoffs. (Steelers) Never happen..... Its like Baseball without the Yankees in the playoffs. Every team in the NFL is loaded with talent, and this year we got beat. Cant win every year, but the playoffs do suck without America's team playing. Would have loved to see us finally crush Tom Brady and the Patriots. Next year! Go Farve.......lol