PDA

View Full Version : FA Who should we sign?

SteelCurtainYinzer
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I took this right from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette....

If the Steelers can sign only one of their top three unrestricted free agents, who should it be?

Willie Parker-----29-----

Casey Hampton---33 (at the start of next season)

Ryan Clark-----29-------

If we could sign Casey Hampton to one more year yes but I honestly can't see us signing any of these players.....I know that Clark would help but if we can pick up better coverage guys in the FA market or draft I am all for letting him go......

I don't think this team needs a change of pace RB----What they need is a bruising back to complement Mendenhall.....
We need to pick up another QB who can step in when Ben goes down---Gradkowski is going to be a FA and Oakland would like to resign him. It is also known that Gruden is a possibility to be the head coach of the Raider once Cable is fired. Gruden drafted him as a Buc a few years back. Those two get along.

We need another WR---Sweed needs to go and Hines is almost ready to depart.....

two offensive tackles....especially a left tackle who can pick up the inside blitz.....

2 CB and 1 new FS---1 starter and at least two who can learn and contribute on special teams

which brings me to our biggest need.....a kicker----for the first time yesterday I saw that Jeff Reed can actually put the damn ball in the endzone.....we need to put teams there all the time....let them start on the 20----I don't know the average but we lost 3 games this season because we couldn't stop a team from taking the damn ball to the house on us....

so what is that.....

1--QB
1--RB
1--WR
1--LS OT
1--interior DL
1--CB
1--S
1--K
1--LB

I would love to see us draft in this order
OT
DL
CB
S
WR
RB
LB
FA--K---CB----S----OT----DL

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the primary positions we need in the draft are cornerbacks and free safties, followed by another offensive linemen, and then all the secondary needs can be established.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
The Steelers also need to get younger on the D-line as well. Guys like Smith,Hampton,Keisel,Kirschke,and Hoke are all over 30 years of age. They need to get more depth there and get a lot younger in my opinion as well in upcoming years.

greg1964
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Parker could stay IF is is willing to be a back-up
Clark could stay IF the Steelers do not play to draft a safety on round one. ( I would resign him, because he worked well with Troy)
Hampton had a good year, but for the money he wants and his age: it time to move on:If McCoy or Cody could be drafted

With Colon, Batch, Townsend, Clark, Hampton, Kirschike, Parker, Hoke, and Reed, ALL likey played there last game as Steelers, Let's remember how good they were, when they were hear.

Big T
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Parker could stay IF is is willing to be a back-up
Clark could stay IF the Steelers do not play to draft a safety on round one. ( I would resign him, because he worked well with Troy)
Hampton had a good year, but for the money he wants and his age: it time to move on:If McCoy or Cody could be drafted

With Colon, Batch, Townsend, Clark, Hampton, Kirschike, Parker, Hoke, and Reed, ALL likey played there last game as Steelers, Let's remember how good they were, when they were hear.

McCoy is no way a 3-4 NT...and even if they resign Ryan Clark, they need to draft a S early for depth and a chance to start...corner is definitely a need as well...

And SteelCurtainYinzer,

you cannot in any way, shape, or form go into a draft saying we have to draft in a specific order...a team may have needs that need to be filled in a draft but you can't say " we need a tackle in the 1st round, an end in the 2nd and a S in the 3rd...you have to see how the draft transpires and who is still available when you pick...

JensK
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
This all depends on weather its going to be uncapped year or not. If not, most of these guys will be RFA

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
This all depends on weather its going to be uncapped year or not. If not, most of these guys will be RFA

Even if this is an uncapped year, the only person that effects if Colon. The rules would be all players who have been in the NFL under 5 years are RFA's Colon is the only Free Agent who that changes their status, everyone else stays the same.

Stairwayto7
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I don`t want any of the three back! We need to upgrade at safety, asap. And Hampton to much $$$ for a 33 year old. Parker, only if the price is right.

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Word is that Clark wants to be franchised...and Hampton doesn't.

igor0190
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Word is that Clark wants to be franchised...and Hampton doesn't.

HAHA, Clark get franchised?? Seriously? After how he played this year I can't even see him drawing much interest in free agency.

I wouldn't mind seeing Parker stay, and Hampton at 33 we may just slap the franchise tag on.

In no way were the kickoff returns Reed's fault. Sweed still has too much potential to cut him loose.

The draft will dictate what the Steelers will address. I am sure they will be looking at a S, CB, DLine, or OLine. Everywhere else could be addressed later in the draft

Zachintosh66
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Clark doesnt deserve half of a franchise

DanRooney
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Clark already said he "is not good enough to be franchised." There's a video of him talking about it at steelerslive.com. He said it would be reasonable to franchise a guy like Hampton but he doesn't want to be franchised.

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh, well I don't know. I read that Clark is looking for his first big payday, and if he doesn't get that in Pittsburgh he'll go somewhere else. Can't find the article now though..

--- Added 1/4/2010 at 07:54 PM ---

Yeah, guess whatever I read lied to me..
http://content.usatoday.com/topics/quote/People/Athletes/NFL/Ryan+Clark/0bqgfXl4en9av/0gvBaP86zad4p/0

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I see Hampton going elsewhere! Clark will be back.....

cmerrifield
01-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Hampton has said he would prefer to stay with the Steelers, but will test the FA market. He may give the Steelers a chance to match offers, or if they offer him a 3 year deal, he might just sign, I would love to keep Hampton for at least 2 more years. Everyone says he is playing hard this year because its his contract year, but I think the injury to his groin last year bothered him more than most people realize

Ironman
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Everyone emphasizes the digression our secondary has made this year-- imagine the digression our d-line will take without Big Snack in the middle. Without Hampton, this team will have to address a mammoth void that will most likely destroy our 3-4 defensive scheme. Hampton fills his target gap every single time, he virtually takes the middle part of the field away against the run.

I just cant see the Steelers putting up a reasonable defensive unit without Hampton-- no FA out there has his talent, experience, or familiarity within our system and ABSOLUTELY no rookie can/will do what Hampton does. Hampton has been a pro-bowl NT nearly every year he has been in the NFL, has he been paid like one, no. Compared to his contemporaries, Hampton makes about 3.5-4.5 million less than them-- it's time he's rewarded for the years skimped from his life pounding away in the trenches.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/639/ozzyhahaii.jpg
Re-sign him or Ozzy will eat your children!

harpo
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Parker stay, and Hampton at 33 we may just slap the franchise tag on.

The draft will dictate what the Steelers will address. I am sure they will be looking at a S, CB, DLine, or OLine. Everywhere else could be addressed later in the draft

I've been hearing that Hampton might be franchised so they can keep him at least one more year, in case they don't draft to replace him in this year's draft. The guy that so-called draft experts think the Steelers should draft this year is Terrence Cody (Alabama, 6'5, 370).

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I've been hearing that Hampton might be franchised so they can keep him at least one more year, in case they don't draft to replace him in this year's draft. The guy that so-called draft experts think the Steelers should draft this year is Terrence Cody (Alabama, 6'5, 370).

A center or nt would be good.

i still think we get taylor mays or maybe eric thomas.

tburg68
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM

I don't see a 6'5" DT as a good fit in the middle of the 3-4. Most NT in the 3-4 are shorter than that, for leverage sake. Maybe Cody can stay low enough to anchor the middle of the line, but I don't think that is the typical stature of a 3-4 NT.

harpo
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't see a 6'5" DT as a good fit in the middle of the 3-4. Most NT in the 3-4 are shorter than that, for leverage sake. Maybe Cody can stay low enough to anchor the middle of the line, but I don't think that is the typical stature of a 3-4 NT.

Good point. His height could be an issue. However, because of his athleticism (he can dunk a basketball in a regulation size hoop) he might be a good fit, i don't know. I think Joel Steed was 6-2 or 6-3 and he worked out great.

If they do decide to go with him, he's gonna have to drop some pounds.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
IMO
Clark-would be the easiest to resign and retain his job as a starter.
Parker- if willing to take a back-up role and salary MAY be resigned but doubtful
Hampton - will be the hardest to replace and sign!
Reed - Out Petor Czech-IN
Colon - tagged or resigned!

Recent history says, they WILL NOT Tag casey. He's over 30 and can still get one more BIG PAY DAY! Think Faneca and Porter... if they tag Casey with out some behind the sceens deal in place for 2011, then thats terrible for a guy his age and i'd almost expect him to hold out and sit the 2010 season!

Unless we get lucky and get Eric Berry (wont happen) i dont see many options in the draft to IMMEDIATELY replace Ryan Clark day one. Yeah there are some guys to be had in this draft that can compete for FS ... But i'd rather have a corner (haden, Robinson, Warren) to compete for Gays job and depth.

Thinking outside the box a lil... a Mardy Gilyard or C.J. Spiller as IMMEDIATE fire power on offense and punt return/ kick return! I still think we are in a position to take the best available player in the first IF we resign Hampton! (the hardest player to replace) Gilyard being a STRETCH but that would force Sweed to step up or get out the door and prep us for Hines' departure! I love Hines but look how fast Farrior and Deshea fell this season... Hines isnt invincible, he will fall off sooner or later!

JensK
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry if its been mentioned already, but when can we sign other players FAs? When does first round of that start? :o I know its very uncertain who'll become FA and all that yet, but i guess the dates are still the same?

Zachintosh66
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Recent history says, they WILL NOT Tag casey. He's over 30 and can still get one more BIG PAY DAY! Think Faneca and Porter... if they tag Casey with out some behind the sceens deal in place for 2011, then thats terrible for a guy his age and i'd almost expect him to hold out and sit the 2010 season!

IMO if they feel they cant get a shot at a good enuff replacement they may tag him for one more year... either way his days are numbered in the burgh

harpo
01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
IMO if they feel they cant get a shot at a good enuff replacement they may tag him for one more year... either way his days are numbered in the burgh

That's exactly what I was thinking. A NT in the 3-4 is probably the hardest out of the 11 positions to replace. Very few can anchor the 3-4 like the 'Snack' can.