PDA

View Full Version : How soon do we begin to see changes on the coaching staff??

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
In my opinion, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert if they are going to make changes on this staff which they had damn well better do it had better occur within the next week or so. The sooner the Steelers clean the garbage out with guys like Arians and Legushitsky the quicker they can move forward and start working on getting a coaching staff in here that knows what the hell they are doing and can get them back to playing winning football consistently.

We are going to find out a lot about Mike Tomlin in my opinion this coming off season and next season as well. Tomlin's honeymoon in Pittsburgh here is officially over now fellas,and the team that Bill Cowher left him when he took over is slowly starting to evaporate and get older. It's going to be Tomlin's job along with Colbert to get some fresh new blood in here to make this team younger,faster, and better especially on the defensive side if this Steelers team expects to compete for Championships consistently under Mike Tomlin. The kissing of Mike Tomlin's *** in this town and the Super Bowl win last season is all over now in my opinion. And it's time for Tomlin to prove that he is capable of bringing his own talent in here and building a team of his own that can compete for the Super Bowl year in and year out.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2010, 02:54 PM
The sooner you make your intentions known, the better. Depending on who they might be looking at, it could take awhile though since teams are still playing in the post season. If you're going to make a change, there's no sense waiting around for weeks; you know what the team has done now all year, it's time to act and start to fix what's wrong on this roster.

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
BA knew 3 weeks ago he was out I bet....

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
ASAP. I never thought I'd say these words, but we need to go the way of the Redskins. They have already made their intentions about Jim Zorn known, and they can now move on with the rest of their offseason. The Steelers need to go the same path.

Azzurri
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm just hoping Colbert sticks around and is not coerced by Bill Cowher into a new gig somewhere. I trust Colbert's instincts and evaluations much more than Tomlin's, at this point.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
BA knew 3 weeks ago he was out I bet....

It's just time to make some changes on this staff. Ed Bouchette reported in the PG that the Steelers have not had any coaching changes at all at any position since Mike Tomlin was hired back in 2007. He said that has never happened to his knowledge on any NFL team since he has been covering the Steelers since the 1970's. If Tomlin would bring back Arians and and retain most of this current coaching staff he is going to lose a ton of credibility with me along with many other diehard Steelers fans as well...

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
It's just time to make some changes on this staff. Ed Bouchette reported in the PG that the Steelers have not had any coaching changes at all at any position since Mike Tomlin was hired back in 2007. He said that has never happened to his knowledge on any NFL team since he has been covering the Steelers since the 1970's. If Tomlin would bring back Arians and and retain most of this current coaching staff he is going to lose a ton of credibility with me along with many other diehard Steelers fans as well...

I saw that, and agree with babe, we need to follow with what the Bills/ skins did.

Big T
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
We all know that BA needs to go but honestly, don't be suprised if he stays....

SteelCityKid5
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Once again, I agree with Big T

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Wexell's last tweet, said that the Rooney's would leave the decision about BA to Tomlin, but now that there are other owners, they are putting pressure on him to fire BA

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
We all know that BA needs to go but honestly, don't be suprised if he stays....

Outside looking in I'd have a hard time trying to figure out why he'd be fired!

BB Steelers record, Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Mendy all had a great year!

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
cause we were seventh in total offense, but 12th in points scored, which means too many FG's

Azzurri
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
cause we were seventh in total offense, but 12th in points scored, which means too many FG'sYeah, but last year we were 10th in total offense and 20th in points scored and won the Super Bowl. The defense was #1 in both categories in 2008, but dropped to #5 in tot yds and #12 in tot pts. We improved on offense and regressed on defense. Seems silly to fire the OC at this point, the run game and OL just needs tweaking.

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Keep in mind that the special teams probably gave up the difference in points allowed. Our defense gets blamed, but what about the Browns game, we scored 6 points against the BROWNS. I think we need to fire special teams and offensive line coaches as well, if that makes you feel better.

JensK
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Bobby April was just released from Bills :o

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
The redzone offense was ranked 28th out of 32 that's why Arians needs to be fired because his play calling inside the 20 and the 10 yard lines was horrific. Plus, that 3rd and 2 pitch play to Mewelde Moore in overtime in Kansas City was probably one of the worst play calls BA has called since being the Offensive coordinator on the Steelers and that play there literally took the Steelers out of FG range and cost them the game. Im with you on Legushesky going along with Zierlein on the O-line but Arians has to go as well. This staff has been together now for 3 years without any changes at all and after failing to make the playoffs this year after winning the Super Bowl just a year ago it's time once and for all to make some changes...

Zachintosh66
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Well if BA reads SA... he knew he was out last year too :)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Bob Ligashesky needs to go for sure....The kick coverage teams were terrible this year.....I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Z gone and a new OL coach brought in.....I still don't understand this total hate of BA......We could worse as OC's go.........BA gets crucified but our beloved old man LeBeau always gets a free pass....I love LeBeau but he had no answers all year.........I never hear any complaints about Dick with his play calling or lack of adjustments....lol

--- Added 1/4/2010 at 06:00 PM ---

The redzone offense was ranked 28th out of 32 that's why Arians needs to be fired because his play calling inside the 20 and the 10 yard lines was horrific. Plus, that 3rd and 2 pitch play to Mewelde Moore in overtime in Kansas City was probably one of the worst play calls BA has called since being the Offensive coordinator on the Steelers and that play there literally took the Steelers out of FG range and cost them the game. Im with you on Legushesky going along with Zierlein on the O-line but Arians has to go as well. This staff has been together now for 3 years without any changes at all and after failing to make the playoffs this year after winning the Super Bowl just a year ago it's time once and for all to make some changes...

I agree 43 BA's biggest down fall is his red zone play calling is really strange at times....I'm in 100 percent agreement.....But I do think the execution by the players is part of the blame to....I do think BA really needs to leave our best play makers on the field most of the time in the red zone instead of using his beloved two TE set or jumbo packages at times.......Spaeth is useless and I rather see Wallace out there in the red zone most of the time instead of a waste like Spaeth.....Unless the Steelers can bring in another TE that actually has talent or is a threat..........lol

igor0190
01-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Outside looking in I'd have a hard time trying to figure out why he'd be fired!

BB Steelers record, Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Mendy all had a great year!

Big Ben is among 8 passers this year with 4000+ yards. The stats look good on paper, but the offense still underachieved. The play calling was painfully predictible. BA clearly has no creativity. We need a new Coordinator to take charge of this offense and make them truly something special... Our talent on offense is amazing and we need someone who can capture this and put it on the field. Sometimes change can be good, and depending on who's out there as a possible OC, BA hopefully will be packing his bags.

One thing that concerns me about Tomlin and his youth is what are his connections like... Does he know of any offensive coordinators that he would trust? Or would he have to hire one based on their interview and reputation in the league??

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Big Ben is among 8 passers this year with 4000+ yards. The stats look good on paper, but the offense still underachieved. The play calling was painfully predictible. BA clearly has no creativity. We need a new Coordinator to take charge of this offense and make them truly something special... Our talent on offense is amazing and we need someone who can capture this and put it on the field. Sometimes change can be good, and depending on who's out there as a possible OC, BA hopefully will be packing his bags.

One thing that concerns me about Tomlin and his youth is what are his connections like... Does he know of any offensive coordinators that he would trust? Or would he have to hire one based on their interview and reputation in the league??

I agree, trust me I'm the biggest fan of firing him, but just looking at it from the outside in...

75Steeler
01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
We have been calling for BA to be unemployed all season and I don't feel any different about it now. He needs to go. Some folks are saying Tomlin needs to go, I don't agree with that yet another season like this one and I may change my opinion on that.

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
This is just a small bump in the road for Tomlin, he'll learn greatly from this and I trust he'll be much better because of it!

JensK
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Should Fire Bruce Arians: The Numbers Don't Lie
Lee Heisler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...e-bruce-arians
Correspondent Written on January 04, 2010

PITTSBURGH - 2009: Bruce Arians of the Pittsburgh Steelers poses for his 2009 NFL headshot at photo day in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by NFL Photos) NFL Photos/Getty Images

For three seasons now, I've pleaded my case to anyone that would listen: fire Bruce Arians. And now I'm going to do so one last time.

The people that support Bruce Arians are going to point to several reasons why he should not be fired such as:

He was the offensive coordinator in 2008 when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Ben Roethisberger likes him.

In 2009 his offense had a quarterback throw for over 4,000 yards, two recievers go over 1,000 yards recieving, and a running back have over 1,000 yards rushing.

I can state my opinions, as I often have, about how Arians' offense is very predictable and unbalanced. Or about how I feel that he doesn't maximize his players' strengths. Or about how he doesn't make adjustments. Or about how subborn he is about certain plays such as the empty backfield set.

But instead, I'll respond to the three most common defenses for Bruce Arians that I have listed above to show you why Bruce Arians should be fired.

In response to those who say that Arians was the offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl winning team:

You are correct, he was the coordinator, but the Steelers won in spite of Arians, not because of him.

First of all, the offense was very inconsistent throughout the season.

Secondly, the times that the Steelers went to the no-huddle and allowed Ben Roethlisberger to call the plays was when the offense was the most successful. Much more successful than when Arians called the plays.

Finally, the defense carried the 2008 Steelers to the Super Bowl. Look at the stats. Or you could look at the game against the Cowboys where the defense pretty much won the game by themselves.

Now, for those who say that the Steelers should keep Arians because Ben Roethlisberger likes him.

Of course Ben Roethlisberger is going to like him, name a quarterback that wouldn't like an offensive coordinator that allows him to throw the ball over 60 percent of the time.

But by Arians doing so, he is also cutting Roethlisberger's career short.

Yes, Roethlisberger holds the ball and will take several sacks, but Arians insistence on using the empty backfield set and becoming pass happy is increasing the number of times that Roethlisberger gets hit and sacked.

Let's compare the two seasons in which Ben Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

In 2005, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 23 times.

In 2008, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times.

Granted, the Steelers pass more now so the sacks will go up, but that is Arians' decision.

And, yes, the Steelers offensive line was better in 2005, but a good offensive coordinator puts his players in positions to succeed. So maybe he should realize that pass blocking isn't the strength of this offensive line.

And in true Bruce Arians fashion, people are going to point to certain stats such as the 4,000 yard passer, two wideouts going over 1,000 yards, along with a 1,000 yard running back in 2009.

Well, take a look at these stats.

In 2009 the Steelers ranked 21st in the NFL by scoring touchdowns in the redzone only 48.2 percent of the time. Behind teams such as Washington, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Carolina.

In 2009 the Steelers ranked 22nd in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 22.5 points per game.

In 2008 the Steelers ranked 23rd in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 21.7 points per game.

In 2007 the Steelers ranked third in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 24.6 yards per game.

Bruce Arians claims that his "pass-first" offense puts points on the board. But in looking at the stats from the three seasons that he has been the Steelers offensive coordinator it shows that in the one season that Arians was committed to the run was the one in which the Steelers averaged the most points.

And looking back at stats since Ben Roethlisberger came into the NFL the Steelers offense has been the most successful when they are a run first team.

In 2004, the Steelers ranked second in rushing yards and averaged 23.2 points per game.

In 2005, the Steelers ranked fifth in rushing yards and averaged 24.3 points per game.

In 2006, the Steelers ranked 10th in rushing yards and averaged 22.1 points per game.

In 2007, the Steelers ranked third in rushing yards and averaged 24.6 points per game.

In 2008, the Steelers ranked 23rd in rushing yards and averaged 21.7 points per game.

In 2009, the Steelers ranked 22nd in rushing yards and averaged 22.5 points per game.

The numbers show that when the Steelers run the ball well, they score more points.

Now let's look back at the numbers from Arians' only other time as offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns:

2001 Browns: 17.8 points per game, 31st in total offense, 31st in rushing offense, and 28th in passing offense.

2002 Browns: 21.5 points per game, 23rd in total offense, 23rd in rushing offense, and 18th in passing offense.

2003 Browns: 15.9 points per game, 26th in total offense, 20th in rushing offense, and 25th in passing offense.

Those numbers are not very impressive to me.

So while Bruce Arians loves his "pass-first" offense and his 4,000 yard passer and such, he needs to realize that as an offense there is only one stat that matters:

Points scored.

The numbers don't don't lie, Bruce Arians. So it's time to take your pass-happy offense and hit the road.

jpele
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Bobby April was just released from Bills :o

I'd hire April in a heart beat. Sad thing is,Tomlin is fighting the FO to keep his staff together.

There has been front-office discontent with several of Tomlinís coaches and this could represent the first conflict between them and their third-year coach over who comes and who goes.The dispute centers on offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, line coach Larry Zierlein and both special teams coaches, Bob Ligashesky and Amos Jones. Tomlin wants to keep his staff together for a fourth straight season. Whether he is able to convince his bosses of that will test his strength in the organization.

The front-office wanted him to make a couple of changes after his first season, 2007, but Tomlin fought to keep all of his coaches and he has had the same staff all three of his seasons in Pittsburgh.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2010-nfl-pit&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Ben likes BA, he'll be back this year!

Tomlin needs to grow a set and make some changes, this **** is getting old!

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM

did we end the season with a 28% 3rd completion rating?

plus 28th in the redzone...

plus 6 points against the browns.. that game finished us off for the post season.

fire arians...

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 10:37 AM ---

Ben likes BA, he'll be back this year!

Tomlin needs to grow a set and make some changes, this **** is getting old!

In the Trib....

Center Justin Hartwig said he hopes offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and offensive line coach Larry Zierlein return next season. "I think (being ranked) seventh offensively in the NFL isn't too bad," Hartwig said. The Steelers finished in the NFL in total offense with 371.3 yards per game.

Ouch.... I guess those stats dont matter much 7th this year and home for the holidays, 21st last year and we win the SB.???

I guess also, the FB's and running backs on the team will want to sign on other teams in a few years. If they actually have the stats to warrant any money.

or maybe Hatwig doesnt want to be on the bad guy side..

--- Added 1/5/2010 at 11:22 AM ---

QB Coach Anderson just retired.

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Hartwig needs to pack his **** and go bye bye with BA, they're both worthless!

Like I said BA will be back!

coldrolled
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Hartwig needs to pack his **** and go bye bye with BA, they're both worthless!

Like I said BA will be back!

maybe not...

Roethlisberger got sacked 50 times this season and Tomlin said the Steelers need to cut down on the number of times their franchise quarterback gets hit.

"I'm looking to rectify that in some form or fashion," Tomlin said.

LatrobePA
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
maybe not...

Roethlisberger got sacked 50 times this season and Tomlin said the Steelers need to cut down on the number of times their franchise quarterback gets hit.

"I'm looking to rectify that in some form or fashion," Tomlin said.

Yea it's called running the f'n ball!

igor0190
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Like I said... If Arians is back it is because Tomlin does not know of anyone or trust anyone to do the job. Bringing back BA would be a big mistake IMO.