PDA

View Full Version : When can we resign our own

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Is there anything stopping us from working on deals with FA's before FA officially begins. I am hoping we can work on a deal with Hampton before anyone else gets a shot at him, and because we missed the playoffs, we have an extra month.

steelerfan11
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
You can sign your own players at any time you want. The only way the Steelers keep Hampton is if they use the franchise tag on him. He has too much problems with his weight during the offseason plus he is getting old.

jcloss23
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
there are a cuple nice NT's lined up for the 2-3 round, i love the man but he is just gonna want too much cash for this team

igor0190
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Hampton has said before that he wants to test free agency. Would be sad to see him go and not sure how we'd replace him so I say they will franchise him.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I agree I think Casey will be back for one more season at least. They know they dont have enough depth yet at that position to let Hampton go. If Casey does leave then Ziggy Hood will definitely get his chance to step up and be a starter on this team...Having a healthy Aaron Smith next year as well back on this defense will help as well...

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Casey will see where BC goes to coach, then that is the team he'll play for...

DanRooney
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
The problem with saying there's going to be a few good NT's in the draft is the Steelers don't start their draft picks in the first season, ESPECIALLY on defense. LeBeau makes them master the playbook in 7 different languages before they can see the field. That would leave us without a NT for a whole season. Hoke cannot start a full season.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Casey is still playing at a high level, if he can be brought back then there's no reason to not do so. We don't have any decent depth on the DL as it is now; with guys like Smith getting older now is not the time to get rid of your pro bowl NT. Franchise him if you have too, give him the big money for one year till you can draft somebody else who would be ready to step in.

The only way we shouldn't bring him back is if you address NT on day 1 of the draft and get yourself the next Casy Hampton. You can't afford to bring in some cheap fill in who couldn't start on a college roster let alone an NFL one.

steelerfan11
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Casey will see where BC goes to coach, then that is the team he'll play for...

doesn't look like BC will be taking a coaching job.