PDA

View Full Version : Steelers underestimated their schedule

Steel Trap86
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Now that the season is officially over, I think it's safe to say we underestimated this so called "soft" schedule we had. If the Steelers had taken care of business like they did today against a team like the Browns, Bears, Chiefs or Raiders...just once, we wouldn't have had to rely on the Pats, Rats or the BUNGALS to get in.

It's amazing what Polamolu really does for this defense, they just fell apart when he banged his knee up in the opener. Smith's presence was obviously missed too.

Now let's just see what kind of adjustments they make in the off-season.

Clevelandsux
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
polamalu wasn't all our problem. our defense missed tackles. Our o-line still sucks and our special teams stunk.

Steel Trap86
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
No doubt they missed all kinds of tackles and this O-Line is terrible, but still the Raiders, Bengals, Bears, Chiefs probably all those games are wins. Carter just doesn't cut it back there.

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't think the O Line was as bad as they were last year. They did a lot better of a job blocking for the backs, and protection was 10x better in my opinion. We just didn't go into the obviously winnable games with the right attitude. It doesn't matter what their record is, these teams are still NFL teams, and you can still lose.

LarryNJ
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
\. We just didn't go into the obviously winnable games with the right attitude.

That is the season in a nut shell.

I remember being in KC sitting behind the Steelers bench when we won the toss in OT. Hines came off the field with an attitude that's hard to explain but it was almost like, "we're the Steelers it's over now" IMHO the entire season can be summed up by being over confident and not having the right attitude. You can't blame the loss of Smith & Troy when you lose to 4 of the worst teams in the league. Yet beat 4 playoff teams.

DanRooney
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Blame goes to:
1. Secondary
2. Special Teams
3. Coaching

Steel Trap86
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Blame goes to:
1. Secondary
2. Special Teams
3. Coaching

That pretty much sums it up

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Blame goes to:
1. Secondary
2. Special Teams
3. Coaching

I think you could pretty much pin point the loses to those 3, but I think the blame goes on the Steelers as an organization. You should still be able to go into the games that we lost and win, but like I said, they didn't have the right attitude. I can't speak for them, but it seems like they got cocky, all of them, not just the secondary, special teams, or coaching staff. Too bad they waited until the last 3 games of the season to refocus.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think the Steelers underestimated....I just think some of the depth on this team (mainly defense) showed their age......

Carter was a nice backup at one time but is done......I love you James Farrior but you're not an every down NFL LB anymore.....Had a great career but the Steelers need a replacement found in this upcoming draft.....Bring Farrior back as a backup if he is willing to take a pay cut.....

I also think William Gay showed he isn't a full 16 game starter in this league....Remember he was very good as a spot starter and nickel corner last year.....I just don't think he is starting material unless he is a spot starter like he was for McFadden last year....

Injuries also ravaged the DL all year and when that unit is already old that is not good....Smith, Kirschke, Keisel all missed time this year....Of course Smith was the huge blow.....

The kick coverage units screwed the pooch this year..........

Fix the kick coverage units and add some young blood to the defense then the Steelers will bounce back and make a Super Bowl run next year....

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Steelers underestimated their schedule - NO the coaches did and it trickled down to the players. Game plans sucked on a (3) phases. Redzone offense was lousy to say the least, defense got soft with Troy being out, I blame coaching for some of it and just **** poor DB's.

Special Teams, like beating a dead horse, SUCKED donkey nuts!

scott0326
01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Special teams need to fixed, which shouldn't be too hard, but this is a must. Another position that must be upgrade is CB, William Gay and Townsend are terrible. Townsend has a down a lot for this team and all but he is near the end and has to go.

Farrior cant cover at all anymore and has even missed quite a bit of tackles this year, as much as I like him I think he needs to only play on running downs.

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Special teams need to fixed, which shouldn't be too hard, but this is a must. Another position that must be upgrade is CB, William Gay and Townsend are terrible. Townsend has a down a lot for this team and all but he is near the end and has to go.

Farrior cant cover at all anymore and has even missed quite a bit of tackles this year, as much as I like him I think he needs to only play on running downs.

I agree 100% Farrior is a great team leader, just an old man now with no step.

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
^^ and definitely should NEVER be dropped back into coverage on a 3rd and long. Ever. Never ever. Ever.

steelerschick1220
01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
This was greatly puzzling to me. Last year, we have one of the hardest schedules ever and no one thougth we would do anything. We win the Super Bowl.

This year, we have a mind numbingly easy schedule and we're sitting home this year. It just irritates me how this team can play up for the big games and can turn around and look like dog doo doo the next.

JensK
01-04-2010, 07:38 AM
^^ and definitely should NEVER be dropped back into coverage on a 3rd and long. Ever. Never ever. Ever.

Problem is, if you cant do that, you are not a starting LB on a 3-4 team. It should be that simple. You have to able to cover at least some, and Farrior is not.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
No, I don't think they underestimated their schedule either; I mean I'm sure part of it was they were happy to not play the hardest schedule in the league, but still that wasn't the reason they lost.

They lost for a multitude of reasons that have been brewing for a few years now; they have allowed themselves to get old in key positions, injuries hit us hard with key players, play calling especially in the red zone, inconsistent kicking game early in the year, internal squabbles that caused this team to lose some focus, lots of things really. If it was just one thing we could fix it and move on, but in reality there's a bunch of things that need fixed to get this team back to playing consistent, winning, football.

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
No, I don't think they underestimated their schedule either; I mean I'm sure part of it was they were happy to not play the hardest schedule in the league, but still that wasn't the reason they lost.

They lost for a multitude of reasons that have been brewing for a few years now; they have allowed themselves to get old in key positions, injuries hit us hard with key players, play calling especially in the red zone, inconsistent kicking game early in the year, internal squabbles that caused this team to lose some focus, lots of things really. If it was just one thing we could fix it and move on, but in reality there's a bunch of things that need fixed to get this team back to playing consistent, winning, football.

I agree, but I think enough of those things can be fixed for us to start winning this next season. I also think Gay didnt play as well being the starter as he did every third series with McFadden. FWP is the only UFA on offense, and as a group our offense is great, we just need a new play caller. I think drafting 18th puts us in a great position to fix a few positions and be great again in 2010

75Steeler
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
We did get weak in key positions and that wasn't corrected in preseason. The hangover is over now it is time to put the team together that we need to win ball games.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Hopefully the Steelers next season will learn from this year that they cant just expect to show up and turn it off and on against inferior competition when they do play them. Next season much like this season there are going to be a ton of winnable games on the schedule such as Buffalo,Tampa,Oakland,Cleveland twice,and even Carolina and Miami. The only real tough games I see on the schedule other then the Bengals and Ravens are the Pats,Saints,Titans,and maybe the Jets. If the Steelers decide to show up for all of those winnable games unlike this season when they didnt and play to their capabilities then they should win 11 or 12 games. If Tomlin let's this team get complacent like he did in the middle of the season then the samething that happened this season will happen next as well...