PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker could resign with the Steelers

greg1964
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
With the Steelers off-season about to start: There has been an understanding that Willie Parker will be gone, because of Mendenhall taking over the starting job. Most people have said that Willie would not accept a backup position: but after giving some thought, WERE could Willie go to set a starting position.

AFC North:

Cleveland: Jerome Harrison is the starter, and is young: Parker could be the back-up here

Cincinnati: C. Benson, L. Johnson and Bernard Scott: No need for Parker as starter or back-up

Baltimore: Ray Rice, Willie McGahee and Le’Ron McCain: No need for Parker as starter or back-up

AFC South: (1 possibility)

Houston: Chris Brown, Ryan Moats, Steve Slaton: Here is a possibility for Parker as an starter or back-up:

Indianapolis: Joseph Addai, Donald Brown, Mike Hart: No Need

Jacksonville: Maurice Jones-Drew, Rashad Jennings: Parker would be a back-up here:

Tennessee: Chris Johnson, is the best back in the league, so Parker would be a back-up here.

AFC West: (1 possibility)

Denver: K. Moreno, C. Buckalter, L. Jordan: with a 1st round draft choice in Moreno, Parker will be backup.

Kansas City: Jamaal Charlers is young, fast and cheaper than Parker would be: but Parker could be a back-up or insurance encase Charles goes down.

Oakland: Darren McFadden, Michael Bush and Justin Fargas: No room here but with Al Davis, you never know.

San Diego: LaDainian Tomlinson is old, Darren Sproles is a FA and Michael Bennett hasn’t proven anything. Parker could be a good fit if Sproles leave as a FA and Tomlinson is cut loose.

AFC East

Buffalo: Marshawn Lynch, and Fred Jackson No need for Parker

Miami: Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown: No need here

New England: Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Fault, Fred Taylor: no need for Parker

NY Jets: Thomas Jones is FA, but with Shonn. Green and Leon Washington no need for Park

NFC East (1 possibility)

Dallas: Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice: No need for Parker

NY Giants: Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, no starting job here.

Philadelphia: Brian Westbrook is on his last legs, but with LeSean McCoy and Weaver no need for Parker

Washington: Clinton Portis: could be on his way out, and Landell Betts is injure prone: So this a possibility for Parker

NFC North (1 possibility)

Chicago: Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson Forte is young and had a down year this season, but the Bears are not ready to replace him yet.

Detroit: Maurice Morris has shown promise but Aaron Brown and Cedric Peerman could be replaced.

Green Bay: Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson would be ahead of Parker

Minnesota: Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor: no need for Parker

NFC South:

Atlanta: Michael Tuner and J. Norwood could be ahead of Parker

Carolina: DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart enough said:

New Orleans: Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, no need for Parker

Tampa Bay: Carnell Williams, Derrick Ward no starter position open.

NFC West:

Arizona: Bennie Wells, Tim Hightower, no need for Parker here

St. Louis: Steven Jackson is the best back on a bad team no starter options here.

San Francisco: Frank Gore, Glen Coffee and Michael Robinson, no options here

Seattle: Julius Jones, Justin Forsett: There is an opportunity here for Parker

Concision: there are only four starting position open, provided each team don’t want to draft and RB this year: So there is a possibility Willie Parker could resign with the Steelers because of lack of starting positions.

Zachintosh66
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Meijers needs a new bag boy...

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
12 for 91 today! Wasn't to shabby!

BR7
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I think after his performance today, his role should be as is is now. I'd be happy as him spelling Mendy and staying a Steeler, but I dunno if thats the role he'd take. Somone might dangle some money in front of him, and thats all it'll take. My guess.. Oakland.

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Until this game, I thought Parker would definitely be gone...but he did great today. For whatever reason they took Mendy out and Parker played majority of the 4th quarter, and he looked better then he did when he was the primary back. He had some cut backs, broke some tackles, and got some big rushes. Most of which we haven't seen from him in a while. If we can, I think the Steelers will do their best to keep him in Pittsburgh, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I think after his performance today, his role should be as is is now. I'd be happy as him spelling Mendy and staying a Steeler, but I dunno if thats the role he'd take. Somone might dangle some money in front of him, and thats all it'll take. My guess.. Oakland.

Indeed, Parker would be a decent player to back up Mendenhall but there's no way that's going to happen IMO either. Some team will offer him decent money to compete for the starting job and he'll go for it. Pittsburgh isn't going to offer him THAT much money to make him stick around as a backup.

Parker did well today, there's no doubt, the best he's been all year IMO...but he'll be gone in 2010.

DanRooney
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Parker is gone. No need for him here.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
This is the reason I wish we would have kept Russel. He would have been the perfect backup to Mendenhall. Mendy runs tough, there's no doubt, he's explosive enough to be quick and make you miss as well as run over you; the complete back if you will. I would really like to see a power short yardage back come in though too, just to have that guy that blows you off the ball as he's running through you. If we're gonna run the ball too, having both guys would be nice. The days of the power Bettis type back are gone, but it's still good to have one on the roster when you need it.

Parker is a nice change of pace because he's so quick, but his inability to run through tackles, and see the field consistently just drives a fan up the wall. I have little doubt he'll be gone and test the waters else where; personally I wish him nothing but the best.

steelersbabex25
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Parker is a nice change of pace because he's so quick, but his inability to run through tackles, and see the field consistently just drives a fan up the wall. I have little doubt he'll be gone and test the waters else where; personally I wish him nothing but the best.

I think part of his problem was that he played too much, he couldn't carry the entire load. I've seen him break some tackles as of late, when he's just a compliment to Mendy.

scott0326
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Regardless of if Cardinals need him or not, he's a former Steelers, cardinals will obviously be interested.

NCSteeler
01-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Veteran RBs are not drawing much interest and even less money. I seriously doubt anyone throws money his way. He'll let his ego take him to a team that promises him a chance to start.

LatrobePA
01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Willie wants to be a starter, that won't happen here! He's lost his speed and is now just an average RB.

cmerrifield
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I would love for FWP to come be an inexpensive backup. He will try and play the FA market, but if he gets no real offers, I could see him coming back to us. That would be ok with me. I think he has more years left, I think the turf toe was a bigger problem for FWP then most people think

jcloss23
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
parker looked much more consistent the mendenhall, mendenhall jsut needs to get some patience and the man will be great

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I can see Parker coming back as well. Let's face it the Steelers dont really have that many options available for a backup running back. I dont see Parker getting a real big offer somewhere. Plus, he has stated that he wants to come back to the Steelers and still wants to play here. So I think there is a better then 50/50 chance that Parker comes back next season...

DanRooney
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
You guys are delusional. The only reason Parker was out there on the final drive was because Tomlin knew it it was his last carries as a Pittsburgh Steeler. He is not more consistent than Mendenhall whatsoever. How many times have you seen Mendenhall get caught for a negative play? Very few. Parker? About 3-4 times per drive when he was a starter in 07, 08 and 09.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
You guys are delusional. The only reason Parker was out there on the final drive was because Tomlin knew it it was his last carries as a Pittsburgh Steeler. He is not more consistent than Mendenhall whatsoever. How many times have you seen Mendenhall get caught for a negative play? Very few. Parker? About 3-4 times per drive when he was a starter in 07, 08 and 09.

Well unless the Steelers intend on drafting a RB at some point this coming draft or picking one up in free agency which they rarely tend to do there arent that many better options out there for a backup running back then Parker. Plus, this Steelers team has too many other holes and voids to fill on the defensive side as well to put all their time and energy into signing a backup running back if Parker is willing to come back for a decent amount. If you know someone or have someone in mind then by all means let's hear it...

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Willie Parker(notes) is basically a free man now that the season is over and it seems there is only a 50/50 chance that he'll be back with the team, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. And if he comes back it will surely be for less than the $4 million he was paid this year.

The rise of 2008 first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall(notes) when Parker was out with a toe injury does not help the six-year veteran's case to return. Parker apparently does not want to be playing second fiddle to Mendenhall and is likely to try and find a place where he can be the top guy. "If you think about it every running back wants to be the starter," the two-time Pro Bowler said.

But does that place exist?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/RB-Parker-leaving-Steelers-?urn=nfl,211595

So, Parker doesn't want to be second to Mendy, and wants to go somewhere that he'll have the starting job..don't personally think he'll be getting that.

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2010, 02:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/RB-Parker-leaving-Steelers-?urn=nfl,211595

So, Parker doesn't want to be second to Mendy, and wants to go somewhere that he'll have the starting job..don't personally think he'll be getting that.

Whether Willie stays or not doesnt really matter to me I just dont see him getting much interest out in the open market which is why I think there is a legit chance of him to be back. Whether the Steelers bring him back or not I feel is irrelevant because the Steelers I think will be fine at RB with Mendenhall as the starter now whether Parker is still on this team or not...

jcloss23
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
he was more consistent in the miami game for SURE! he was geetin 5-6 yards a carry where mendenhall had a couple of long runs and many times he went no where. I love mendenhall dont get me wrong but it was a good decision havin parker in for that last drive

Azzurri
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I was pretty disappointed with Mendenhall the last half of the season. Other than a long run against the Raiders and one against the Dolphins, he did nothing since the Denver game. That little spin move he does right at the line of scrimmage gets my blood boiling, too, as that bad habit is a recipe for fumbling once defenses key on it. I'd resign Willie, he has another year or two in him, and give him more touches maybe 40% compared to Mendenhall's 60%.

DanRooney
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Willie Parker, the most overrated Steeler RB of the decade

“Fast” Willie Parker broke off a long touchdown run in the 2005 Super Bowl against the Seattle Seahawks and parlayed that into millions of dollars and a long-term contract with the Steelers. Parker fooled everyone including fans, coaches, media, and even Steelers management by having them believe that his straight line speed somehow made him a great running back. It took about four years for many to figure out that Parker’s play was nothing more than a fluke. Throughout his time with the Steelers, Parker routinely was near the top of the league in stuffs per carry. He would also routinely collapse against the better run defenses in the league.

Consider the following data that lists all of Parker’s opponents since 2005 that were ranked in the top one-third of the league in defensive yards per rush allowed. Listed to the right are two numbers. The first is each opponent’s season average in defensive yards per rush allowed. The second number is the average yards per carry gained by Parker per contest.

Parker 2008

Philadelphia Eagles – 3.6 > 1.5 (Below)

Washington Redskins – 3.8 > 3.3 (Below)

Baltimore Ravens – 3.4 > 3.4 (Even)

Tennessee Titans – 3.6 > 1.6 (Below)

Ravens 3.4 – > 2.0 (Below)

Arizona Cardinals – 3.9 > 2.8 (Below)

Parker 2007

San Francisco 49ers – 3.8 > 5.3 (Above)

Cardinals – 3.9 > 1.8 (Below)

Ravens – 2.9 > 1.8 (Below)

Parker 2006

Miami Dolphins – 3.5 > 4.0 (Above)

Jacksonville Jaguars – 3.5 > 1.8 (Below)

Atlanta Falcons – 3.8 > 2.4 (Below)

Oakland Raiders – 4.0 > 3.8 (Below)

Ravens – 3.3 > 2.2 (Below)

Tampa Bay Buccaneeers – 3.9 > 2.9 (Below)

Carolina Panthers – 3.9 > 5.7 (Above)

Parker 2005

New England Patriots – 3.6 > 3.2 (Below)

San Diego Chargers – 3.2 > 2.6 (Below)

Ravens – 3.7 > 4.5 (Above)

Ravens – 3.7 > 3.3 (Below)

Packers – 4.0 > 2.6 (Below)

Bears – 3.7 > 3.2 (Below)

From 2005 to 2008, Parker played 25 games against run defenses that were ranked in the top third of the league using the yards per rush allowed statistic. Parker failed to at least equal their average yards per rush allowed, a whopping 72% of the time! In fact, he didn’t just fail to reach average, he often collapsed.

For example, in 2008, the Eagles defense allowed 3.6 yards per rush on the season, but against Willie Parker in week three, they stuffed him for 1.6 yards per rush. That type of collapse hurt the Steelers offense a great deal as they constantly found themselves in 3rd down and long throughout the Parker era. Roethlisberger helped mask this issue as he has often ranked near the top in first downs per pass attempt throughout his career.

Parker is a great sprinter but not a great running back. He doesn’t have the vision that true great backs have. He doesn’t often break tackles and make something out of nothing. He routinely dances in the backfield and produces negative gains instead of just taking what he can get to help keep the offense out of third and long situations.

Parker’s overall rushing yards total is simply a byproduct of his relatively high amount of carries he receives per game, not his efficiency per carry.

Case in point, in 2007 when Parker had 1300 yards rushing before his season ended in a broken leg, Adrian Peterson had about the same overall yardage, but accomplished that number with nearly 100 fewer carries. That is what I call efficiency.

The other issue with Parker is that he is not a pass receiving threat out of the backfield. In 2007, Mewelde Moore had 17 first downs in pass receiving. Parker didn’t have any.

Unfortunately, Parker never lived up to the hype as his averages have fallen every year since 2005. Parker’s yards per rush average by year.

2005 – 4.7

2006 – 4.4

2007 – 4.1

2008 – 3.8

2009 – 3.5

It is amazing how much time one long run in a Super Bowl can buy a player.

Azzurri
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, Parker never lived up to the hype as his averages have fallen every year since 2005. Parker’s yards per rush average by year.

2005 – 4.7

2006 – 4.4

2007 – 4.1

2008 – 3.8

2009 – 3.5

Parker was coming off a broken leg and suffered a knee injury in 2008, so that could account for his low 3.8 average last year. He did perform big in the playoffs against the Chargers. Also, his final rushing average for 2009 is 4.0, not 3.5.

steelersbabex25
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Although I don't think that Willie Parker was ever a horrible starting rb, Gravity is right in that his superbowl rush did buy him a longer time on this team that he might have had otherwise. We all saw that and thought, "wow, this guy is great." Or atleast I know I did..could have been that I was just caught up in the magic of the superbowl, but he was never as good as I instinctively thought he was in superbowl XL. I don't know, still think he's a good compliment to Mendenhall.

igor0190
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't forget that Jerome Bettis told Willie exactly what to look for on the play before Willie took it to the house in the Superbowl. Willie even openly credited "The Bus". Watching Mendenhall run with the same O-Line as Willie clearly shows some things that Willie just wasn't capable of.
I still hope he stays with the team, maybe out of loyalty. After all the Steelers were the only team to give the undrafted rookie a chance.

Coaches better teach Mendenhall to ditch the spin move. Use it after 7-8 yards, sure.... but not at the line of scrimmage. It's a wonder that the ball didn't get popped loose more often on him.

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM

I agree, but think it will be Detroit.

SteelSkin37
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Willie Parker, the most overrated Steeler RB of the decade

“Fast” Willie Parker broke off a long touchdown run in the 2005 Super Bowl against the Seattle Seahawks and parlayed that into millions of dollars and a long-term contract with the Steelers. Parker fooled everyone including fans, coaches, media, and even Steelers management by having them believe that his straight line speed somehow made him a great running back. It took about four years for many to figure out that Parker’s play was nothing more than a fluke. Throughout his time with the Steelers, Parker routinely was near the top of the league in stuffs per carry. He would also routinely collapse against the better run defenses in the league.

Consider the following data that lists all of Parker’s opponents since 2005 that were ranked in the top one-third of the league in defensive yards per rush allowed. Listed to the right are two numbers. The first is each opponent’s season average in defensive yards per rush allowed. The second number is the average yards per carry gained by Parker per contest.

Parker 2008

Philadelphia Eagles – 3.6 > 1.5 (Below)

Washington Redskins – 3.8 > 3.3 (Below)

Baltimore Ravens – 3.4 > 3.4 (Even)

Tennessee Titans – 3.6 > 1.6 (Below)

Ravens 3.4 – > 2.0 (Below)

Arizona Cardinals – 3.9 > 2.8 (Below)

Parker 2007

San Francisco 49ers – 3.8 > 5.3 (Above)

Cardinals – 3.9 > 1.8 (Below)

Ravens – 2.9 > 1.8 (Below)

Parker 2006

Miami Dolphins – 3.5 > 4.0 (Above)

Jacksonville Jaguars – 3.5 > 1.8 (Below)

Atlanta Falcons – 3.8 > 2.4 (Below)

Oakland Raiders – 4.0 > 3.8 (Below)

Tampa Bay Buccaneeers – 3.9 > 2.9 (Below)

Carolina Panthers – 3.9 > 5.7 (Above)

Parker 2005

New England Patriots – 3.6 > 3.2 (Below)

San Diego Chargers – 3.2 > 2.6 (Below)

Ravens – 3.7 > 4.5 (Above)

Ravens – 3.7 > 3.3 (Below)

Packers – 4.0 > 2.6 (Below)

Bears – 3.7 > 3.2 (Below)

From 2005 to 2008, Parker played 25 games against run defenses that were ranked in the top third of the league using the yards per rush allowed statistic. Parker failed to at least equal their average yards per rush allowed, a whopping 72% of the time! In fact, he didn’t just fail to reach average, he often collapsed.

For example, in 2008, the Eagles defense allowed 3.6 yards per rush on the season, but against Willie Parker in week three, they stuffed him for 1.6 yards per rush. That type of collapse hurt the Steelers offense a great deal as they constantly found themselves in 3rd down and long throughout the Parker era. Roethlisberger helped mask this issue as he has often ranked near the top in first downs per pass attempt throughout his career.

Parker is a great sprinter but not a great running back. He doesn’t have the vision that true great backs have. He doesn’t often break tackles and make something out of nothing. He routinely dances in the backfield and produces negative gains instead of just taking what he can get to help keep the offense out of third and long situations.

Parker’s overall rushing yards total is simply a byproduct of his relatively high amount of carries he receives per game, not his efficiency per carry.

Case in point, in 2007 when Parker had 1300 yards rushing before his season ended in a broken leg, Adrian Peterson had about the same overall yardage, but accomplished that number with nearly 100 fewer carries. That is what I call efficiency.

The other issue with Parker is that he is not a pass receiving threat out of the backfield. In 2007, Mewelde Moore had 17 first downs in pass receiving. Parker didn’t have any.

2005 – 4.7

2006 – 4.4

2007 – 4.1

2008 – 3.8

2009 – 3.5

:helmet:Awesome work on the stats. I like the guy, but the stats dont lie. :tt02: