PDA

View Full Version : Will Bengals Rest Starters?

floodcitygirl
12-29-2009, 05:45 PM
How much will Bengals rest starters?

By Joe Reedy jreedy@enquirer.com December 28, 2009

CINCINNATI - It's not a question of if the Bengals will rest their starters in Sunday's regular-season finale against the Jets, it's how much.

For the Bengals, a lot of that could depend on the result of the New England-Houston game. If the Patriots win, then the Bengals (10-5) are locked into the fourth seed no matter what happens. But if the Texans win, the Bengals could get the third seed if they beat the Jets.

If both the Bengals and Patriots lose there is a very small chance that the Bengals could get the third seed. New England has the edge based on strength of victory.

At least early in the week, it's business as usual around Paul Brown Stadium.

"It will be another Sunday for us," coach Marvin Lewis said. "I'll make those adjustments and so forth later in the week and as we go. We're going to approach it as a game we need to win."

However, Lewis has acknowledged that he could adjust the situation after Sunday's early games.

Another thing that could come into play is the fact that the Bengals and Jets could see each other two straight weeks. A Jets win would give them the fifth seed, meaning New York (8-7) would be making a trip here for a first-round game either Jan. 9 or 10.

"All those things, we're going to take all those things into consideration there," Lewis said.

The players say they will approach things in the same manner as the coaches if it means playing one half or the entire game.

"We're still trying to improve as a team and keep taking steps forward," safety Chris Crocker said. "You play to win first and foremost. We'll prepare as if each starter will play the whole game and then determine things as the game goes along."

Said defensive tackle Domata Peko, who has missed the last four games: "Whatever they feel like they want me to do. I've been gone 3-4 weeks and want to get back out there playing and get some snaps. If they want me to play a little bit or the whole game I want to get out there and hit someone."

As for the fact the Bengals will be in prime time for the first time this season, Lewis doesn't see the situation much different from how they have approached things the last three weeks and that the pressure is more on the Jets, who need to win to get into the postseason.

"They've got more on their shoulders than we do," Lewis said. "I think they have the pressure of having to win the football game to get into the playoffs, and so forth. I think our guys will be fine with it, I told them since the time we went to Minnesota it's like it's going to be the rest of the season and it's played out like that."

LatrobePA
12-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Shouldn't of came to this!

Big T
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Well Chad has been hyping his matchup with Darrelle Revis...so you know they will atleast play...

Troyisabeast_43
12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Regardless if they are at night or not I still think that the Bengals are not going to lay down. They had a very poor performance last week against KC and I think they are going to get a a good full game in. Even if the backups come in they are going to play just as hard to showcase there talent. I am actually not too worried about the Jets beating the Bengals. The other issue is that Sanchez has 20 interceptions this year and is terrible.... a Highschool defense can rattle him. Jets seem to find ways to lose big games so honestly I think we are fine....we have to win and NE has to win.

We still have a shot early if oakland upsets balt....which they want to do to be spoilers.