PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison; Another Disappointing Performance

Iron City South
12-28-2009, 03:26 PM
What is it with Harrison this year?

The guy played Houdini once again and went virtually invisible? How many times has he done that this season?

I like Silverback as much as the next Steelers fan, but this year he's been a shadow of his former self for whatever the reason. I want to believe its because of the injury to Aaron Smith (teams are now able to give his side of the field more attention), but to be honest .... I haven't witnessed this to be true. I want to believe Harrison gets held on every play, but I haven't witnessed this to be true.

I just hope that Harrison isn't hitting the age wall that Farrior has hit. I don't think he has, but I'm just say'in ... Harrison isn't exactly a spring chicken.

Thinking ahead to next year, I wonder if any thought has been given to moving Harrison inside to play the "mike LB'er spot that Farrior is playing? Harrison has the strength to play the "mike" and would be perfect considering he plays mean (with attitude). This would allow us to move Timmons outside so that we could utilize his speed and athleticism a lot more than he is today playing inside.

In any event, I hope that the coaches see the current vacume that old man Farrior has left us with and elects to go LB'er in the 1st, followed by either a "S" or a "CB" to round out our first 3 picks. I'd love to see a Brandon Spikes or a Rololdo McClain in black & gold.

ejsteeler
12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
He does not get held on every play, but the majority of them he does. With the officials not calling it, there is no need for teams to shift someone to help block him, just hold him. He is giving great rush anyway, just doesn't have the sack stats. Still a beast. Plus he played with a bad bicep.

Ibleedblk&gld
12-28-2009, 03:42 PM
i wouldn't call it disappointing...he did force a fumble and a few hurry ups, all w/ a bad arm...

this thread should be, "William Gay; Another Disappointing Performance"...not silverback

Goodfrom55
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
As per my "handle", Harrison is my favorite player, but I have to give him a pass yesterday because he was 50/50 with a biceps issue. I flipped out when he let unibrow flacco out of his grasp, but then remembered his biceps issue.

Look at it this way, he hasn't hurt the Steelers with his play, but we need him to make a few big plays on Sunday. if he would ever incorporate a spin move into his pass rush bag of tricks, he WOULD be unblockable.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Willie B Gay was horrid as usual!

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I think Harrison is doing okay this year. The only reason people seem to believing that he's "MIA" is because he hasn't gotten the 18 whatever sacks that he had last year. You can't have a record setting season every year, I'm sure he'll be fine.

NCSteeler
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll give him a pass with the injury yesterday. But have been thinking for awhile now that he needs to work on some other moves. Fact on your power rush your are going to get the choke hold, fact the Refs are only going to call it 15 percent of the time. Time to come up with a new move.

Big T
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
The man has 10 sacks this season and 5 forced fumbles....no, not his best season but those are still really solid numbers...especially because he's been dropping back in coverage more this year.... He woke up Sunday not knowing if he could play and then after the game he needed a trainer to help get his pads off...the man played with one arm....he had a decent game considering...

You can't expect 16 sacks and 7 FF every year....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2009, 04:46 PM
The entire defense has stunk this year, let's not go saying Harrison is having one poor performance after another. The loss of Arron Smith an Polamalu allows teams to focus on Harrison, it's not rocket science here people. You take out one of the best run stuffing and space occupying lineman in the league, and the best Safety (or one of the best) and you have more bodies to account for when it comes to the Def player of the year. You roll the extra coverage or down block on Harrison because you know Eason, Kirschke, or Hood aren't going to warrant a double team. You also know you can have a back freed up now to chip Harrison.

It's not wonder the dudes stats aren't as great as last year, combined with the constant holding, you can start to see where his effectiveness is limited. And before we go off saying how decent a year Wood is having, keep in mind that the double teams flow towards Harrison, not Wood. So yeah Wood is playing great, and I'm all for it, but lets keep the whole Harrison thing in perspective here.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Give 92 a break the damn dude was hurt!

Stlrs4Life
12-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I give Harrison a little slack, he's been playing injured the past 2 games.

NYCsteelersfan
12-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately he's picking up slack for Smith and Polamalu and that's affecting his play.

Zachintosh66
12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Give 92 a break the damn dude was hurt!

Yeah he shouldnt of played... ridiculous.

scott0326
12-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I guess you could call it disappointing, but that forced fumble he had was huge and clearly impacted the game.

Goodfrom55
12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
If anyone is going to get some heat, it is #22. . .he just flat out stinks.

Stairwayto7
12-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Farrior is through, in my opinion, then we can get back to four solid LB`s. Also Hood coming on could help free 92 up!

BlackGold4vr
12-28-2009, 06:55 PM
If anyone is going to get some heat, it is #22. . .he just flat out stinks.

Willie Gay couldn't cover the senior citizens at the retirement home! :hilarious:

Goodfrom55
12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Farrior definitely looks slow this year. I think Keyaron Fox is ready to step up and start for this football team in 2010.

Zachintosh66
12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
pfft, Fox is a lifetime special teamer! Farrior lead the team in tackles this year... what more do you want? Especially after A. Smith was lost again and had most of the year with a rookie (hood) and a fringe player (eason) in front of him. Kirshke is nothing but an adequate backup especially at 30+ years of age.

Calling for Fox to start in front of Farrior in ludicrous...

Although, I stick by my earlier statement about Harrison not being worth a damn this week. Would rather seen Fox in the middle and Timmons outside. Yeah yeah Harrison caused a fumble, but Fox and Carter got lucky this year too... Thank god Woodley finally showed up this year b/c IMO he has outplayed James.

Azzurri
12-28-2009, 10:26 PM
pfft, Fox is a lifetime special teamer!

Calling for Fox to start in front of Farrior in ludicrous...

Remember, though, that James Harrison didn't really do much until he was 28-29 years old. Fox is 27, so I wouldn't count him out yet.

SteelCityKid5
12-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I say do the same thing they did last year only this time Fox is Foote, and rotate Timmons in on pass plays or whenever.... ICS, he made the pro bowl, good one

Iron City South
12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
.... ICS, he made the pro bowl, good one

What's your point? .. the Pro Bowl hasn't been based on performance merit in years. It's a flippin beauty contest of the most popular. :2cents:

SteelCityKid5
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
my point is he had a good year

TEEMONT
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
76 Tackles - 10 sacks - 5 FF (tops in the league)

yeah he's had a terrible year.

You're obviously a John Clayton-type fan who has never played the game.

If you're looking to place blame on anyone for this year, it goes to the same place it went in 2006, to the head coach. I don't care how much of a "cool-cat" you think Tomlin is, he was not prepared for any kind of adversity.

Tomlin promised his team would "unleash hell" then it proceeded to read Psalms to everyone in hopes that teams would lay down b/c they were the defending champs.

He gets a pass this year, b/c obviously Noll and Cowher had bad years, but when you lose to teams like KC, the clowns, and oakland, and miss the playoffs b/c you couldn't win ONE of those games, it's b/c your head coach let you think you were invincible. Tomlin did NOT have these guys prepared. He better bring it real next year, or you'll have to change the URL of your Mondesi's House imitation website, ICS.

STEELER 4 LIFE
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Farrior definitely looks slow this year. I think Keyaron Fox is ready to step up and start for this football team in 2010.

Got to agree. Hate to see it tho-he's been a workhorse for us!!!!

Iron City South
12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
76 Tackles - 10 sacks - 5 FF (tops in the league)

yeah he's had a terrible year.

You're obviously a John Clayton-type fan who has never played the game.

If you're looking to place blame on anyone for this year, it goes to the same place it went in 2006, to the head coach. I don't care how much of a "cool-cat" you think Tomlin is, he was not prepared for any kind of adversity.

Tomlin promised his team would "unleash hell" then it proceeded to read Psalms to everyone in hopes that teams would lay down b/c they were the defending champs.

He gets a pass this year, b/c obviously Noll and Cowher had bad years, but when you lose to teams like KC, the clowns, and oakland, and miss the playoffs b/c you couldn't win ONE of those games, it's b/c your head coach let you think you were invincible. Tomlin did NOT have these guys prepared. He better bring it real next year, or you'll have to change the URL of your Mondesi's House imitation website, ICS.

Why are you so angry young man? Teemont, I'm gonna be real with you and tell you I've probably forgotten more about the game of football than you've been around to remember son.

You can shove the meaningless aggregate stats up your *** because the only one that really matters is the fact that his season perforance is significantly less this year than it has been the past 2 years.

The point of the thread was to point out that Harrison has been invisible in many games this year. Case in point ... Green Bay, he played 60 effin minutes of football and he registered Zero ... ZERO tackles and 1 assist! That's ZERO TACKLES IN 60 FULL MINUTES OF FOOTBALL!... That's effin pathetic bruh and you and I both know it. He hasn't registered over 4 solo tackles in a game since week #9 in Denver ....

Again, that's pathetic.

I'm not blaming the season on any 1 person or 1 element of the game. There's plenty of blame to go around. I'm still of the opinion that if we had even an "average" special teams coverage unit this year and made the decision to keep McFadden ... we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. :2cents:

TEEMONT
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Uh oh everyone ICS is using bold letters and all caps...he must feel disrespected, lol.

Who's angry? I just think this is a silly thread. Obviously Harrison's stats are down from last year, there is zero reason for QB's to hold on to the ball for longer than 3 seconds due to the fact that our DB's aren't covering anyone, or picking any passes off.

It's no one person's fault, but yet you single out Harrison? The guy, who anyone can see, gets held more often than most OLB's. He still has double digit sacks, and now is playing hurt. He was a big reason for the W against Baltimore. Players have bad games from time to time, but Harrison has been having a pretty solid season. Put Troy back in there to maybe put a little fear in QB's and this is a non-issue. He's not playing Pro-Bowl ball, but no one on this team is, Aaron Smith being out isn't helping him much either.

And please, don't come on here acting like some jedi knight of football knowledge. I don't care how old you are, and how many times you have watched your 70's SB DVD's, laying lame *** lines like "I have forgotten more about football than you know" is just that, lame.

waddawurld
12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
92 will be just fine next year-- playin' hurt doesn't help, but remember he gets double teamed a lot because of his rep and there's no doubt he's being held a bunch! I honestly believe refs give slack subconsciously to guys matching up with name players-- I'm just sayin....

ejsteeler
12-31-2009, 09:06 PM
...laying lame *** lines like "I have forgotten more about football than you know" is just that, lame.

:hilarious:

MattyVfromCT
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Iron City South;327475]Why are you so angry young man? Teemont, I'm gonna be real with you and tell you I've probably forgotten more about the game of football than you've been around to remember son.

The point of the thread was to point out that Harrison has been invisible in many games this year. Case in point ... Green Bay, he played 60 effin minutes of football and he registered Zero ... ZERO tackles and 1 assist! That's ZERO TACKLES IN 60 FULL MINUTES OF FOOTBALL!... That's effin pathetic bruh and you and I both know it. He hasn't registered over 4 solo tackles in a game since week #9 in Denver ....

watch my newest video on youtube and you will see why he had no tackles in the green bay game. blatantly held on so many plays with no flags it's ridiculous. be sure to watch the whole thing because it's a compilation of bad calls the steelers have received over the last 10 years. i made the video after listening to packers and ravens fans blame the refs for our last 2 wins, so i needed to do something to shut up all these pathetic haters that claim the nfl "helps us out by giving us every call".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuk01PIcUMQ

also be sure to check out all my steeler tributes on my account if you haven't already.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MattyVfromCT

peace out steeler nation

Zachintosh66
01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
:stirpot: Harrison invisible again today... where has he been the last month? Pro Bowl is a joke!

LatrobePA
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
:stirpot: Harrison invisible again today... where has he been the last month? Pro Bowl is a joke!

I stuck up for him last week because he was hurt. Not this week, he spent more time on his ***/ back than upright. He was a non issue today!

steelersbabex25
01-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Woodley was a beast in the game yesterday,

Zachintosh66
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM
WOW, Just found and eye opening stat... I've heard a lot of people on here banging on Timmons. Look at the stat comparison of Harrison and Timmons. Pretty darn close... Sure Harrison has 3 more sacks and 1 more ff, but he should considering thats his job is to rush the QB.

Harrison maybe stronger that Timmons, but I think we'd all agree Timmons is faster and more explosive than Harrison. I had no idea they were that close in production... IMO that adds more fuel to the argument that Timmons is in the wrong position.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=PIT