PDA

View Full Version : We`re in if...

Stairwayto7
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
1.) Jets loss and Texans loss

Cinci is at the Jets - I think Cinci would win by losing this game, our games with them were to close and they want us eliminated.

NE is at Houston - If NE actually shows up????????

2.) Ravens loss and Texans loss

Balt is at Oak - I actually think that the raiders have a chance here, depending on who is QB at home

NE is at Houston

3.) Jets loss, Ravens loss and Broncos loss

KC at Denver - probably not going to happen with this scenario

The first scenario makes the most sense, IF all teams had something to play for. I`m hoping the bungles are still playing for Henry, and really don`t want to lose, and that the NE backups are descent.

Second scenario, I could see the ratbirds choking, so this is a possibility

The third, too many teams to lose.

Oh yeah, we need a win in miami also

coldrolled
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
1.) Jets loss and Texans loss

Cinci is at the Jets - I think Cinci would win by losing this game, our games with them were to close and they want us eliminated.

NE is at Houston - If NE actually shows up????????

2.) Ravens loss and Texans loss

Balt is at Oak - I actually think that the raiders have a chance here, depending on who is QB at home

NE is at Houston

3.) Jets loss, Ravens loss and Broncos loss

KC at Denver - probably not going to happen with this scenario

The first scenario makes the most sense, IF all teams had something to play for. I`m hoping the bungles are still playing for Henry, and really don`t want to lose, and that the NE backups are descent.

Second scenario, I could see the ratbirds choking, so this is a possibility

The third, too many teams to lose.

Oh yeah, we need a win in miami also

palmer says::

Palmer, for one, thinks the Bengals have to play it for real and not take a rest.

“Not at all,” Palmer said of resting Sunday in New Jersey. “We’d like to be the third seed. You want to go into the playoffs with as good a position as you can ... we’re playing to win. That’s the way Marvin is, that’s the way our team is. We’d like to hang an 11-5 record and we’d like to go out and play good football against a good team. Especially a good defense. We hit a little bit of a skid (in '05). There’s nothing like winning the previous week. The Saturday night before a game watching the highlight video from a win that you don’t get to watch from a loss. There’s so many nice things about that week of preparation coming off a win that we want that going into the first playoff game.”

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Must beat the Fins...

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't think the Bengals would lose the game on purpose just out of spite, but when you look at it from their situation, who would they rather see in the playoffs, Steelers or Jets? The only thing is that I've read that Marvin Lewis doesn't want to lose a game on national TV. Oh well, it's pretty much out of the Steelers hands now (besides the Miami game).

franchise3
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
palmer says::

Palmer, for one, thinks the Bengals have to play it for real and not take a rest.

“Not at all,” Palmer said of resting Sunday in New Jersey. “We’d like to be the third seed. You want to go into the playoffs with as good a position as you can ... we’re playing to win. That’s the way Marvin is, that’s the way our team is. We’d like to hang an 11-5 record and we’d like to go out and play good football against a good team. Especially a good defense. We hit a little bit of a skid (in '05). There’s nothing like winning the previous week. The Saturday night before a game watching the highlight video from a win that you don’t get to watch from a loss. There’s so many nice things about that week of preparation coming off a win that we want that going into the first playoff game.”

The problem with the first part of his statement is that they will know the score of NE game before they start or in the beginning... And if NE loses and Cinci does want to win, we also need a loss of both Ravens and Broncos in addition to Jets loss. The most likely scenario is number 2. NE should want to win to clinch #3 seed and Raiders have a shot at home... All the other scenarios are under 10% if you ask me and those are not good odds.

Big T
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I hope Carson is right....

Stairwayto7
12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Well for them, the bungholes, they would avoid Indy longer, by getting that third seed!

coldrolled
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think the Bengals would lose the game on purpose just out of spite, but when you look at it from their situation, who would they rather see in the playoffs, Steelers or Jets? The only thing is that I've read that Marvin Lewis doesn't want to lose a game on national TV. Oh well, it's pretty much out of the Steelers hands now (besides the Miami game).

ocho may have some wild input on this also... mr. TV

BR7
12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Well for them, the bungholes, they would avoid Indy longer, by getting that third seed!

I think thats what they'd do.. try to avoid Indy as long as possible.. Just don't think NE will show up against Houston.

KSSteelerfan
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
This Steelers team has to focus on winning the last game of the season against the fins/guppies no matter what the outcome of the rest of the games and no matter how slim the Steelers chances are of making the playoffs at this point in the season. If the Steelers don't win, then everything else is just a footnote for the season that could have been, had the Steelers won those five games that they (the Steelers) lost.:imho:

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Here it is:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Azzurri
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I just don't see New England putting up much effort against Houston just to get the #3 seed. They'd probably rather play at Indianapolis than at San Diego in the conference semifinals anyway. Plus, I fully believe the Belichick factor will be at work. He would rather dump this game, get the #4 seed and ensure he doesn't have to play the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs. I'm certain he'd like his chances playing the Broncos, Jets, or Ravens over meeting up with the Steelers any day of the week.

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I just don't see New England putting up much effort against Houston just to get the #3 seed. They'd probably rather play at Indianapolis than at San Diego in the conference semifinals anyway. Plus, I fully believe the Belichick factor will be at work. He would rather dump this game, get the #4 seed and ensure he doesn't have to play the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs. I'm certain he'd like his chances playing the Broncos, Jets, or Ravens over meeting up with the Steelers any day of the week.

Belichick cant automatically just assume the Steelers are going to beat Miami either and they are going to be the 6 seed. Im not worried about the Pats pulling starters or tanking this game much like the Colts did yesterday because Belichick does not have that type of mentality. He wants the Patriots playing for that 3 seed and playing winning football going into the playoffs...The Steelers problem is going to be if the Ravens beat the Raiders depending on Cincy to beat the Jets knowing that if New England wins they have the 3 seed locked down and they have nothing further to play for. Now if both Houston and Baltimore both lose and the Steelers win then the Jets Bengals game is irrelevant to the Steelers because they would be in either way it would just be a matter if they were the 5 seed or the 4. If the Bengals would happen to win that game then and the Broncos beat Kansas City then the Steelers would get the Bengals as the 5 seed and the Broncos would get the 6 seed and play the Patriots.

Forged in Steel
12-28-2009, 03:11 PM
The Ravens at Raiders game could be interesting. Who knows if the Patriots or Bengals will show up.

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
The Ravens at Raiders game could be interesting. Who knows if the Patriots or Bengals will show up.

It sure will be and if the Texans lose to the Patriots early on in the day and the Raiders happen to beat the Ravens the Steelers would get in the playoffs and still have a shot at getting the number 5 seed and playing the Bengals if they beat the Jets on Sunday night. Ill say this right now though if the Bengals know that if they beat the Jets on Sunday night and both the Texans and Ravens lose and they would get the Steelers as the 5 seed in the first round by beating the Jets then they will do everything in their power to assure themselves that the Jets win that game and that they play them the next week in Cincy...

TheButt
12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Why ..in scenerio 3 do we need Denver to lose,, they would finish 9-7 if they win.. as us and we beat them.. doesnt that knock them out ?

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
No, because if the Jets and Denver both win and we do too and they have the same record as us, a 3 way tie goes to division record since we haven't played the Jets. Denver's division record is better than ours. Well, I think that's why..not 100% sure. Anyone feel free to correct me.

SteelerSteve
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
All the Steelers can do is win their game. I am not gonna think about all the other situations right now. Just win at miami and we have a chance

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Why ..in scenerio 3 do we need Denver to lose,, they would finish 9-7 if they win.. as us and we beat them.. doesnt that knock them out ?

In a three way tie with the Broncos Texans and Steelers at 9-7 which is what this would be should it occur the Steelers would be out based on 3 way tiebrakers on conference record...It's why it's pretty damn close to an absolute MUST that the Texans lose to the Patriots because the Steelers just cannot count on the Jets,Ravens,and Broncos all losing it's just not going to happen...If the Texans lose the Steelers odds go improve to 50/50 to get in with either the Ravens losing to the Raiders or the Jets losing to the Bengals...

NYCsteelersfan
12-29-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm certain he'd like his chances playing the Broncos, Jets, or Ravens over meeting up with the Steelers any day of the week.

I'm certain the Colts head coach had the exact same feelings versus the Jets.

DanRooney
12-29-2009, 04:15 AM
We're done. Not only are the Bengals throwing their game, but New England is as well. Rumor has it that Carson AND Brady are not going to be playing in the season finale.

Stairwayto7
12-29-2009, 09:07 AM
With all teams, vikes, saints, broncs, etc, maybe everyone will take note and want to be rolling into the playoffs!

LatrobePA
12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
What could of been....2009 season, **** poor!

Steel Trap86
12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't like New England's chances on the road at all. The Texans are going to get an early lead, Billichik will see that he has no chance of winning the game and start pulling starters. The only thing we can hope for is somehow the Raiders do to the Ravens what they did to us, and the Bengals willing to play the Steelers for a third time in the Playoffs and winning the game on Sunday night lol :beerfunnel:

TEEMONT
12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
We're done. Not only are the Bengals throwing their game, but New England is as well. Rumor has it that Carson AND Brady are not going to be playing in the season finale.

when did you make up this rumor?

coldrolled
12-29-2009, 11:17 AM
The 2010 Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl on Sunday, Jan. 31 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, the NFL announced Tuesday.

So Manning is possibly the Pro Bowl QB, so they gave up the chance for 16-0 record or more to rest a QB who has to play in a meaningless game the week before the Super Bowl...

Not much sense to all this...

Maybe the Colts really didnt want us in the mix.

Anyways .. Fire Arians...

TampaSteelGirl
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Calm down son...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/brady-wants-to-carry-over-strong-week/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 28, 2009 11:38 AM ET
Tom Brady says the Patriots are coming off their best week of practice all season and "one of" the team's best games. He wants to keep that momentum going next week in Houston.

"You don't want to make it seem like one week we're a team that looks like we did yesterday, and the next week we're a team that looks like we played against the Bills," Brady said on WEEI, as transcribed by Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.

"I'd love to see us go down there and put together the same type of effort," Brady said.

We wouldn't be surprised to see Brady play four quarters. Bill Belichick faced nearly the exact same decision in Week Seventeen of the '05 and '06 seasons. In both cases, the Patriots had the division clinched but no chance at a bye. There was little at stake.

In 2005, Matt Cassel replaced Brady in the first half of a narrow loss to the Dolphins.

In 2006, Brady played until victory was assured over a streaking Titans team. The difference in approach may have had to do with how well the Patriots were playing.

The 2005 team was on a four-game winning streak. The 2006 team had won two straight, but had lost to Miami 21-0 in Week Fourteen.

It's just an educated guess, but we suspect Belichick feels similar to Brady. The 2009 team looks like one that needs to improve on Sundays before sitting anyone. Injured players like Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren will clearly rest up for the playoffs, but Brady may just get his wish.

Brady playing the whole game doesn't mean the Patriots will prevail -- their best road win thus far is Buffalo -- but his presence certainly won't help Houston's playoff hopes.

LatrobePA
12-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Bungles have been playing lousy as of late, they'd be stupid to sit their starters and expect them to be sharp in the PO's....

coldrolled
12-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Bungles have been playing lousy as of late, they'd be stupid to sit their starters and expect them to be sharp in the PO's....

did i tell you that the bungles are 0-10 when they have tried for real in NY

they may rest their players so they dont look bad going into the playoffs.. why look bad going into the playoffs when you look like your really trying to win, like the vikings? ouch..

the only plus is that their defense lost maualuga, they may need to play all their defensive starters to get the feel of the game without maualuga on the field.

just sayin..

this is all arians fault.... :cursin::cursin: 6 points in cleveland...:cursin:

floodcitygirl
12-29-2009, 12:31 PM
this is all arians fault.... :cursin::cursin: 6 points in cleveland...:cursin:While I do agree that some of the play calling has been outright ridiculous, I can't agree that it's all his fault. Even in the above articles the players have admitted that THEY didn't have the right mindset going into some games. You know at least 3 that should have been pretty much gimmies with the talent that is on this team. The team as a whole got into this mess. Now we have to depend on others to help get them out. :evilshake:

Troyisabeast_43
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM

The Patriots are not throwing their game against Houston because they are playing for the 3rd seed over the 4 seed which is a big deal in my opinion. By getting the 3rd seed you avoid the Colts until the AFC Championship game if you get the 3 seed and win your first playoff game. Also, if by some chance the Colts would happen to lose their first game in the divisional round and let's say the Patriots beat the Chargers in San Diego as well they would then have homefield advantage for the AFC Championship game. And believe me as bad as the Patriots have been on the road this season as we all have seen they are going to do everything in their power to assure themselves that they have that 3 seed and have another chance to play a game in New England should the Colts slip in their first playoff game.

This happened 3 years ago in 2006 where both teams that had the bye week the Chargers as the 1 seed and the Ravens as the 2 seed both lost and the Patriots played the Colts who were both the 3 and 4 seeds and the Colts had the homefield advantage. So I dont want to hear this bullshit going around that the Patriots have nothing to play for and that getting the 3 seed isnt that important because I just gave you a scenario up above that shows you and tells you why the Patriots are going to play to win this game...

DIESELMAN
12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
As much as I would like to see our Steelers make the playoffs, there are just to many things that won't happen for us to get in. Actually hope they win in Miami and not make the playoffs, then the team can do some real soul searching in the offseason. The way they played against the Raiders, Browns and Chiefs, they don't deserve a playoff spot.

Dean Denton
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
No way are the Bengals going to try and beat the Jets. Would you want to see the Steelers for a third time if you beat them twice already? Hell No!!!!! I know teams always claim that they will try and win, but in this case, I say the Pats and the Bengals would rather play the Jets, Texans, Broncos or Ravens, no matter what they say. If your a coach and have to game plan, the last QB you want to see in the post season is Big Ben. I say the Pats and the Bengals lay down on sunday, and laugh while they do it. Cant say I blame them. Thats what I would do. Not like a win helps either one of those two teams. If anything it hurts their chances at getting to the Superbowl.

Troyisabeast_43
12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
No way are the Bengals going to try and beat the Jets. Would you want to see the Steelers for a third time if you beat them twice already? Hell No!!!!! I know teams always claim that they will try and win, but in this case, I say the Pats and the Bengals would rather play the Jets, Texans, Broncos or Ravens, no matter what they say. If your a coach and have to game plan, the last QB you want to see in the post season is Big Ben. I say the Pats and the Bengals lay down on sunday, and laugh while they do it. Cant say I blame them. Thats what I would do. Not like a win helps either one of those two teams. If anything it hurts their chances at getting to the Superbowl.

The Patriots will not lay down Belichick is not the kind of coach that wants to go into the playoffs on a losing note and let a team like the Texans get in the playoffs for the very first time in their history at his expense.

steelersbabex25
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't think either team will just lay down and die, but I definitely don't think they'll go all out to win either. It's probably just more of a, if we win that's great, if we lose, oh well.

Stairwayto7
12-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Cinci its been reported, will only play their starters for two or three series. Why did thier game get moved to the late game??? Thats a crock

coldrolled
12-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Cinci its been reported, will only play their starters for two or three series. Why did thier game get moved to the late game??? Thats a crock

Get NY in their somehow.. Big money Market.

Dylan
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Cincy doesnt want us in. Even they dont think they will beat us again. I know someone who is a big Bengals fan and he told me he really hopes they dont play the Steelers.
If they dont play their starters...:banging:

Zachintosh66
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
It doesnt matter what Cinci is going do or why their game time was moved... WE DIDNT WIN WHEN WE WERE SUPPOSED TO... so all this bitching doesnt matter b/c we shot ourselves in the foot already

steelersbabex25
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
But the point is, we've been playing..not great..but better these past few games, and we still had a chance to get into the playoffs. So many things have just screwed us over and it's made our chances lower than they already were.

Zachintosh66
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
but my point is, WE SCREWED OURSELF!

steelersbabex25
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah we definitely did..but a shot at the playoffs wouldn't hurt.

TEEMONT
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah we definitely did..but a shot at the playoffs wouldn't hurt.

which is where they could be if they woulda beat two of the following: CLE, KC, CHI, OAK, MIA......

to get 2 of those 5 games should not have been hard at all.

They and we, have no one to blame but themselves. It's not cincy's fault thye couldn't beat them once.

ejsteeler
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
which is where they could be if they woulda beat two of the following: CLE, KC, CHI, OAK, MIA......

to get 2 of those 5 games should not have been hard at all.

They and we, have no one to blame but themselves. It's not cincy's fault thye couldn't beat them once.

haven't played Miami yet....are you conceding a loss.....:lol:

TEEMONT
12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
haven't played Miami yet....are you conceding a loss.....:lol:

nope...i said to get 2 of those 5 games...not one...lol...they win 1 of those 4 and they are in with a win....im expecting a win this week....which is why everyone else should expect an L

coldrolled
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
nope...i said to get 2 of those 5 games...not one...lol...they win 1 of those 4 and they are in with a win....im expecting a win this week....which is why everyone else should expect an L

you got it. we should be playing dixon this week for bens's playoff break...

we should actually be the #3 or #4 seed in reality.

Fire Arians.

ejsteeler
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

got ya. I hope we win. I hate going to an away game and then taking all the **** when you leave......oh well, part of the deal I guess.....

Azzurri
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
The only chance for the Steelers is for the Texans and Ravens to lose. Forget about the Jets...the Bengals wouldn't beat them in NY with a full compliment of starters and everything to play for. The key is the Patriots...I think they may play hard to wrap up the #3 seed, but they will not go all out, particularly if they fall behind by 10 or more points. I can see the Raiders pulling out a win against the Ravens. Overall, I give the Raiders a 40% chance of winning and the Patriots a 25% chance. That translates into a 10% chance for the Steelers to make the playoffs (assuming a win over Miami). The odds are not good, but it's a shot.

LatrobePA
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
you got it. we should be playing dixon this week for bens's playoff break...

we should actually be the #3 or #4 seed in reality.

Fire Arians.

Yes sir!:yellowthumb:

coldrolled
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
The only chance for the Steelers is for the Texans and Ravens to lose. Forget about the Jets...the Bengals wouldn't beat them in NY with a full compliment of starters and everything to play for. The key is the Patriots...I think they may play hard to wrap up the #3 seed, but they will not go all out, particularly if they fall behind by 10 or more points. I can see the Raiders pulling out a win against the Ravens. Overall, I give the Raiders a 40% chance of winning and the Patriots a 25% chance. That translates into a 10% chance for the Steelers to make the playoffs (assuming a win over Miami). The odds are not good, but it's a shot.

who is QB for the raiders this week??

Stairwayto7
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Probably Frye, I know that sounds bad, but he threw for 300+ last week

coldrolled
12-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Was he a Brown before?

LatrobePA
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM

And 3 INT's! Yes he was a stain! However he did look OK in Seattle for his short stay!