PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Race - Updated Postseason scenarios

StlersGuy
12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
playoff (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true) race.... I like what they say about us..

Defending champs not going away without a fight. Hell being unleashed.

click on the + next to our name to see that...

BlackGold4vr
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Jets are beating Indy. That is bad for us. If NY wins then we need a Cincinatti win in NY next week. :yesnod:

JensK
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Jets are beating Indy. That is bad for us. If NY wins then we need a Cincinatti win in NY next week. :yesnod:

If Jets win, we need various things to happen:

Jets needs to loose

Houston needs to loose

Steelers needs to win

Nothing more, nothing less - ofc, as of right now, it could look like Broncos are going to decide it tonight them self

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 07:06 PM
everytime i check the Jets score they put up more points...

Steel Trap86
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Its because Manning's back up is a ****ing bum, the guy gets booed going on and off the field, Colts could have easily kept Manning in, who has NEVER been injured, and scored one more TD and held off the Jets to keep the perfect season going.
Can't really hate too much on the decision by the Colts coach, but now if they don't win the Superbowl this move will be talked about for years to come.

igor0190
12-27-2009, 07:22 PM
what tie breaker does houston have over us?

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 07:23 PM
since we didnt play them, it goes straight to division record over head to head. they have a better division record.

JensK
12-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Better record against teams we both played this year.. We are 2-2, and they are 3-1

HUNT4SEVEN
12-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Better Confrence record i believe, Jets won an it looks like the Broncos might pull off the upset

JensK
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Better Confrence record i believe, Jets won an it looks like the Broncos might pull off the upset

nope. same conference record, altho jets is better than both

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/nfl_tiebreakers.htm

Ambridge
12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
F'n Colts!!!!

Way to go....shutting it down and pulling Manning and the rest of the Starters in the 3rd Quarter.

I hope the Stupid Notion of "Resting Players" comes back to take a serious bite out of their *** in the Playoffs.

Philly has blown a big lead and is trying to hand the game over to Denver.
That is why Philly has never and will never win ANYTHING!!
Jerkoffs!!

Moondog
12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Now Cincy has to beat the Jets and the Pats have to beat the Texans. Will there be benefits for either team to win these games?

Steel Trap86
12-27-2009, 08:05 PM
No..Cinci & New England both clinched the division today and the Chargers & Colts have the 1st & 2nd seeds locked, nothing to play for besides momentum. It all goes back to the Browns, Raiders & Chief games, the Steelers dug themselves a hole that I doubt they get out of, all they can do is win in Miami and hope for the best.

Danger DANJ
12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Don't the Patriots and Bengals have to fight for the #3 and 4 seeds? I would think getting the #3 seed would be something to play for.

Steel Trap86
12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Don't the Patriots and Bengals have to fight for the #3 and 4 seeds? I would think getting the #3 seed would be something to play for.

ya that's true, pats are 2-5 on the road though. houston's playing for a playoff spot

scott0326
12-27-2009, 08:26 PM
So to get in Steelers need to win (obviously) and need two of: Texans/Jets/Ravens losing?

Richmond Rukus
12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
No..Cinci & New England both clinched the division today and the Chargers & Colts have the 1st & 2nd seeds locked, nothing to play for besides momentum. It all goes back to the Browns, Raiders & Chief games, the Steelers dug themselves a hole that I doubt they get out of, all they can do is win in Miami and hope for the best.

Neither has 3rd rapped up, which could mean the differnece in a home / away game come championship week. So I would not be resting the starters.

ejsteeler
12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes and it is looking iffy......can still happen though so we gotta believe!!!!!!:cope:

coldrolled
12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe the Colts didnt want the steelers in the mix.

LarryNJ
12-27-2009, 08:59 PM

I doubt that...but I wouldn't put it past the Bungals to do that.

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
What Has to Happen to Make it to the Postseason
Posted by Matt Loede on December 27th, 2009 in News
Now that the Steelers are 8-7 and still alive, many are asking that million dollar question – what has to happen for the Steelers to make the playoffs?

As far as I can tell, here’s what has to happen after the Jets won, Texans won, Jags lost, and Broncos lost today:

FOR THE 5TH SEED

1) Steelers beat Miami.

2) Houston loses at home to New Engalnd.

3) Jets lose to Cincy at home and Baltimore loses to the Raiders in Oakland.

FOR THE 6TH SEED:

1) Steelers beat Miami.

2) Houston loses to the Pats at home.

3) Jets lose to the Bengals at home. (Baltimore 5th seed, Pittsburgh 6th)

So while the Steelers have to take care of business in South Florida next week, they will be scoreboard watching as they have to root for two teams they really hate – the Bengals and Patriots.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2009/12/27/what-has-to-happen-to-make-it-to-the-postseason/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersGab+%28Steelers+Gab%2 9

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Hell, who cares about 5th and 6th at this point. I'd be happy with any seed.

Thanks for the post, too. Very helpful.

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm watching the Cowboys @ Redskins game at the moment, and they said that the Cincinnati @ New York game has been flexed to the night game. That is not good for the Steelers playoff hopes. Any hope the Steelers had that the Patriots and Bengals would fight for the 3rd seed is now gone. Since New England now plays before Cincinatti, if New England wins against Houston, they'd automatically lock in the 3rd seed. So, that leaves Cincinatti with no incentive to play their starters in the night game against New York, and we need them to win, as well as New England. If New England loses, well, we'd be out anyway. We just have to hope that Cincinatti finds someway to win that game with what will probably be their 2nd stringers (assuming that NE wins). :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
It's really about a 50-50 type thing here, depending on who plays who next week as far as starters go, will go a long way in deciding our fate. We still have to win though, so this team needs to remain focused no matter what else is going on. Even if we don't make the postseason, if we win out in our last 3 games we can say we went down fighting!

franchise3
12-27-2009, 10:54 PM
We are screwed big time... I really don't see Cinci beating the Jets away in a game that won't mean anything... and they hate us... My opinion is 20-80 chances of us making it...

HUNT4SEVEN
12-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Yea with the way things unfolded today with the other games i'm not surprise that's it a long shot for us to get into the playoffs, I'm just glad we beat the RATS:tt02:

NYCsteelersfan
12-28-2009, 01:10 AM

I'm fairly confident the Colts tanked to insure a garbage team like the Jets make the playoffs and to help keep the Steelers out. I would bet the Patriots do the same thing next week.

Woodson_DownUnder
12-28-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm fairly confident the Colts tanked to insure a garbage team like the Jets make the playoffs and to help keep the Steelers out. I would bet the Patriots do the same thing next week.

First thing we have to acknowledge.. Steelers had their destiny in their own hands for after being 6-2. To be in this situation is a flippin' blessing and that's nothing disrespectful to the teams the Steelers lost to. The possibility that two of either the Jets/Ravens/ Texans lose will play a part in SQUEEZING IN but the fact remains, the Patroits have to keep the Jaguars OUT otherwise the Steelers miss out regardless.

I have no shadow of a doubt that Colts will be soiling their pants if the Steelers make the play-offs and sacrificing a PERFECT SEASOn is their plan.. not that I believe the Steelers secondary is capable of shutting Peyton down but moreso of the Steelers O giving the Colts fits.

I don't agree with the NFL's decision with the Sunday game selection...if anything, it should be about NEW ENGLAND needing to fight for #3 seed and not allow the #4 seed just lay down... that's just poor planning... the execs at the NFL will feeling stupid when the Patriots win. Bengals have nothing to play for... once again, the Steelers have themselves to blame... could of easily played for the division if they were not so negligent on risking so much in the Redzone. :banging:

scott0326
12-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Who knows though, maybe Sanchez craps the bed vs the backups and Bengals still win. Nothing we can do except hope everything goes are way. Go Steelers

NCSteeler
12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
It is wholey possible that Sanchez drops 3-4 int to the Bengals CBs. If a couple go for 6 , Bengals may win. I also think that Lewis may not rest his starters. They have not exactly burn down the league the last few weeks and a solid win over a playoff hopeful would go far towards their future confidence and play.

PS, btw, I hope the Colts never win another game. As a fan of Football I was really let down by them just giving up a chance to chase history.

As a fan of the Steelers I was pissed, they gave up, as much that it hurts our chances and I wanted someone to dimminish what the Cheats did in 2007

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2009, 08:20 AM
The Bengals have been on the verge of winning the division for the last 3 weeks, and couldn't wrap it up. It's almost as if they really didn't want to actually take that step and win it.. :bonk: ..but they finally won it yesterday, honestly the way they've played the last month with their offense looking like crap (especially the passing game), I would suspect they'll be playing their starters next week regardless.

lloydfan4life
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
PS, btw, I hope the Colts never win another game. As a fan of Football I was really let down by them just giving up a chance to chase history.

I agree with you 100%!!

That was absolutely pathetic and they should be ashamed of themselves.
I know if I were on that team I'd be royally pissed off that the coaching staff did that.
I can understand pulling your starters if you have the game completely in hand, but to pull them and lose was pussified and I hope they lose their first playoff game!

As far as Cincy, I agree that I think they'll play their starters. I can't believe they'd 'throw' a game just because they hate us as someone suggested. They need to try to gain some momentum heading into the playoffs and I think they'll be playing to win regardless of what NE does.

If we'd have taken care of business we wouldn't be in this predicament.... so at this point it is what it is. :evilshake:

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
They wouldn't throw the game because they hate us, the game just doesn't matter to them if NE wins. However, I hope they do play their starters in a hope to keep some momentum. This all won't even matter if NE loses though.

Sir Blitzelot
12-28-2009, 10:00 AM
It's going to be tough to depend on the Bengals and Patriots to win, when both teams really have nothing more to play for. But I refuse to give up hope, the Steelers could still pull this off. :yellowthumb:

NCSteeler
12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
NFL is stupid for not flexing the Dallas/Eagles game. A game that actually means something and won't have one team pulling players and giving in.

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah good point. Bengals and the Jets? Why would they chose to flex that game..

BlackGold4vr
12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2009 PLAYOFF SCENARIOS
(provided by the NFL)

The Pittsburgh Steelers clinch a playoff spot:

1) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + NYJ loss or tie

2) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + BAL loss or tie

3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

The Steelers finish their regular season this weekend in Miami. Houston plays New England. The Jets play Cincinnati. Baltimore plays Oakland. And Denver plays Kansas City.

Chances don't look too good for any of these scenario's.

ejsteeler
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
No, not at all. Hopefully we'll still go out with a win in Miami.

coldrolled
12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
It's going to be tough to depend on the Bengals and Patriots to win, when both teams really have nothing more to play for. But I refuse to give up hope, the Steelers could still pull this off. :yellowthumb:

Browns, KC, Oakland, Chicago, (1) Bengals Game

Fire Arians... Balance out our running attack and we win most of the above mentioned.

End of year bonus.. :crossfingers:

--- Added 12/28/2009 at 11:19 AM ---

They wouldn't throw the game because they hate us, the game just doesn't matter to them if NE wins. However, I hope they do play their starters in a hope to keep some momentum. This all won't even matter if NE loses though.

Bengals are 0-10 at NY even when they do try.... :thinking:

lloydfan4life
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Bengals are 0-10 at NY even when they do try.... :thinking:

you just HAD to post that stat, didn't you? :banging:

NYCsteelersfan
12-28-2009, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=coldrolled;327059]Browns, KC, Oakland, Chicago, (1) Bengals Game

Fire Arians... Balance out our running attack and we win most of the above mentioned.

End of year bonus.. :crossfingers:

It's so sad how an offensive coordinator and a head coaches inability to fire him led to a team that could've easily been 12-4 or even 13-3 to being 9-7 or 8-8

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Im with you on this one Michael it's a lot better of a scenario then the Steelers were looking at 2-3 weeks ago after they lost to the Browns. At least this game with Miami means something this weekend and it's not a Uhaul kind of game as they like to say when both teams know they have both been eliminated from playoff contention.

steelersbabex25
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
There's something to be said for not just rolling over and dying like a lot of teams would do as well. I'm happy with the way the Steelers are playing out these last few games.

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Plus, other then the Ravens and the Jets who both control their own destiny if they win on Sunday the Steelers are in the next best position to get in the playoffs and are in better shape to get in over teams like Houston,Denver,Jacksonville,and Miami. Those teams need multiple scenarios to occur to have any kind of chance even if they win while the Steelers only have a few that are quite simple...