PDA

View Full Version : Keepers and Cutters for Next Season

DanRooney
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Resign:
Hampton (2010) - We've got to keep him. There is no viable backup for Fat Snack and losing him would make our D even worse. Even if we draft a NT, we know it takes half a season to master LeBlow's playbook in the 3 different languages he wants them in.
Sepulveda (2010 RFA)- Coming into his contract year, he's been pretty reliable. He's had his share of ****** punts but he's solid all-around.
Holmes (2011) - the Steelers should be giving him plenty of offers in the offseason, especially after his 1000 yard season. Hopefully he doesn't ask for too much.
Fox (2011) - should be starting in favor of Farrior

Release:
Gay (2010)- This guy is god awful. We've seen that he is incapable of covering a #1, #2, or #3 receiver (and tight end). I'd be surprised if he could cover a left tackle in pass coverage. Hopefully Keenan Lewis gets some reps in at the #2 CB position.
Carter (2010)- See above.
Townsend (2010)- Too old to keep on the roster and todays game showed that. He has great instinct and knows how to play his position well but he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with the league's #2 receivers. Burnett would be a good replacement in nickel situations.
Parker (2010)- No real pressing need to keep him with Mendenhall emerging as the every down back. Moore will do his 3rd down thing on occasion and Isaac Redman should be brought up for spot duty.
Batch (2010)- Old and gimpy. No point in keeping him on the team. I'd love to see him on the sidelines as a QB's coach though.
Spaeth (2010) - there's really no need for him on the team running out of 3, 4 and 5 receiver sets. He's putrid at blocking and is not really used in the passing game when in. Johnson is already taken over his spot anyway.
Reed (2010) - Got an offer and refused it during the offseason. Maybe he should have reconsidered? He's the worst at kickoffs even though he seems to have a good FG leg (despite a sketchy first half of the season). Definitely not worth the money.
Hills (2011) - Failed experiment

On the bubble:
Dixon (2011)- We could easily pick up Leftwich from the Bucs and I think he would be a much better option than Dixon. That being said, Dennis played with a lot of heart against the Ravens in the first matchup. I guess we keep him at #2 for another year and sign Leftwich anyway.
Clark (2010)- Mundy is looking to replace helmet-to-helmet Clark but I haven't seen many good things out of him. That being said I haven't seen too many good things from Clark either. When Polamalu is on the field, they make a good combo in the backfield.
Sweed (2012) - Even though he's 2 years away from his contract year, he's not really doing anything to help his cause to remain a Steeler. Mentally, he's weak.
Stapleton (2010 RFA) - His injury didn't help for his case. Urbik may steal his job if he ever pans out (which is doubtful)

With all the releases, we may see a lot of new faces on D coming out of the draft. Should be interesting next season.

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I say definitely resign Clark. He's not the best safety, but he plays well next to Troy. I don't think we would get any great starting cornerbacks or safetys in the draft or as a free agenct, so keeping him in Pittsburgh would be the best decision. But that's just me.

JensK
12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I say definitely resign Clark. He's not the best safety, but he plays well next to Troy. I don't think we would get any great starting cornerbacks or safetys in the draft or as a free agenct, so keeping him in Pittsburgh would be the best decision. But that's just me.

No he don't. He just don't get burned as much because troy saves him all the time. We all like Clark because he goes all in on those knock out tackles, but he is not a good safety

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Well...I like him.

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
:imho:

Keep:
D-Sep
Holmes
Townsend, Move to FS
Dixon

Cut:
Gay
Carter
Batch, become a coach somewhere buddy
Parker
Reed
Clark

Bubble:
Hampton, hes getting old, but can we find a replacement. Might sign a one year deal.
Sweed
Hills
Stapleton, Joke, wasnt supposed to make the team and he's still hanging around.
Fox, im not as in love with this lifetime ST'er as a lot of you guys are.
Speath, Prolly no more room for, but he knows the system and is a lifer as a role player.
Farrior, pd a lot of money last year for this guy, but did lead team in tackles.

DanRooney
12-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Where's that guy that said Gay is the next Asante Samuels? lol.

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
hes polishing his Sweed ROY trophy...

or his FWP "im not dead yet" Award...

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
hes polishing his Sweed ROY trophy...

or his FWP "im not dead yet" Award...

:lol:

LatrobePA
12-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I'll get flamed, but D-Sep isn't very good! There's better kickers out there! He's not 4th round material! Trade him!!

scott0326
12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I'll get flamed, but D-Sep isn't very good! There's better kickers out there! He's not 4th round material! Trade him!!

No way. Does anyone really want to go through the "Looking for a punter" phase again? Mitch Berger was a beast and all but ill happily keep D-Sep. Obviously, he isn't the best, but he's solid and consistent.

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 09:28 PM
^^ haha exactly. I don't know about everyone else, but after the Mitch Berger phase..I'm good with Sepulveda.

coldrolled
12-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Cut Arians

We can then beat the loser teams.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Cut Arians

We can then beat the loser teams.

We won a SB with Mitch! nuff said!

Cold, I agree, play calling again was crap today! Woooweee Ben hit the 4000 mark, we're barely above 500 and more than likely out of the PO's!

scott0326
12-28-2009, 04:35 AM

Cold, I agree, play calling again was crap today! Woooweee Ben hit the 4000 mark, we're barely above 500 and more than likely out of the PO's!

So because someone was on the team when we won a SB, we should keep them?

DanRooney
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
The thing with Sepulveda is he doesn't have precision on short punts. The elite punters in the league can get the ball to fall inside the 5 while Danny boy seems to get it to land somewhere around the 11-15 yard line.

I say keep him though. He's young and has a hell of a leg. Plus, he hasn't had a punt blocked yet ;)

steelerfan11
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM

William Gay was rotating CB duties with McFadden then also...look at him now.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
William Gay was rotating CB duties with McFadden then also...look at him now.

I've said this B4 Troy has a way of making our crappy DB's look good!

Silverback
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Paul Ernster. Yeah lets resign Sepulveda.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Paul Ernster. Yeah lets resign Sepulveda.

Now that's a bad one! Berger looked damn good last night against Philly!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I would hope nobody seriously thinks letting DSep go is a good idea? That whole winning the super bowl with another punter thing, yeah lets remember how horrible the punting was that year and how much we had to overcome. Sep is a solid punter for us and there is no reason to not reup Sepulveda for another contract. Sure he can always improve, but lets remember what the alternatives are; our ST are bad enough without adding potential bad punting to the mix.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
It's my personal opinion really that's it. I don't think he is that good....I seriously doubt they'll cut or trade him!

ejsteeler
12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Sh*t, we can't cut D'Sep, he's the best tackler on our punt ST.....:lol:

Seriously though, I think he is a keeper. Last years memories make it so.

LatrobePA
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Sh*t, we can't cut D'Sep, he's the best tackler on our punt ST.....:lol:

Seriously though, I think he is a keeper. Last years memories make it so.

I agree, Madison was a mad man out there yesterday!

Iron City South
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Where's that guy that said Gay is the next Asante Samuels? lol.

I think it was K-Train. :lol::clap:

I think he was one of the one's also on-board the "FWP is our best feature back" train too now that it was mentioned.

Stlrs4Life
12-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Cutters: Arians, ST Coach, Gay, Carter, Farrior (love him, but he is getting old),Sweed, Parker.

I try to resign Casey, if he comes to a fair price.

STEELER 4 LIFE
12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
^^ haha exactly. I don't know about everyone else, but after the Mitch Berger phase..I'm good with Sepulveda.

Me too!!!!! :lol::hilarious::yesnod:

Clevelandsux
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Now that our season is over who needs to stay and who goes?

I want Arians, Sweed, the oline accept keomatu and William Gay gone!