PDA

View Full Version : Still not sold on Mendenhal...

Stairwayto7
12-27-2009, 04:12 PM
.......... I need some help here, I really want to believe in this guy, but I`m struggling with having any faith in him. It seems that he just hits the pile, spins, and gets hit. I`m not seeing the power here.
Is it the OL, would it matter who the RB was??? Who is a big Mendenhal fan out there and why?

steelersbabex25
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, sometimes Mendenhall does spin one too many times, but sometimes doing that helps him get just the amount of extra yardage that they need. He's a never give up kind of running back, he'll never go down without a fight. That's why I personally like him.

DanRooney
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
OL was **** today. Absolute garbage. No push in the run game or no pass pro. Mendenhall is much better with Kemo pulling for him.

ejsteeler
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
QUIT HESTATING AND RUN THE F***ING BALL!!!!

Could be heard throughout mt house several times today......

Stairwayto7
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
QUIT HESTATING AND RUN THE F***ING BALL!!!!

Could be heard throughout mt house several times today......

Thank you, that is my problem with him, HIT THE HOLE!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Could it maybe be that the OL hasn't been opening up holes because the Ravens were clogging the line with bodies everywhere and he had nowhere to go. Believe in Mendenhall, he's only going to get better man, seriously, the dude will be money. The whole OL was **** today for the most part, don't blame it all on #34.

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Today tere were no holes to hit... Mendy will be fine. Dont hate the spin either, it works more time than not.

UKSTEELER
12-27-2009, 04:21 PM
he is too hesitant at times, there was an example today where I was waiting for him to bounce it outside with the burners on, but he ducked inside and got wrapped up.

The line doesn't help though, our run blocking has been in serious decline now for three years, and Bruce has no appetite for running the ball either, so little will change unless we ship him out.

Stairwayto7
Today tere were no holes to hit... Mendy will be fine. Dont hate the spin either, it works more time than not.

This spin is getting predictable I think

ejsteeler
Oh yeah, thats part of it for sure, but he needs to hit the hole a few times. That spin crap is going to lose more balls than we would like. He should be powerful enough to hit it and surge forward.
He's a double edged sword kind of like Ben. He wants the big gain every time. I still like him and think he will get better still, but that dancing drives me nuts......:cursin:

harpo
12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I like Mendenhall a lot but he has some flaws in his game that needs to be corrected. For example, he runs too upright (especially when he's running inside), doesn't square his shoulders and secure the ball. This is evidenced by him always spinning around after making contact with a defender or defenders. You just cannot run the ball that way in the NFL. This is something that can and will be corrected as he gets more carries.

As for Mendenhall's spinning tendencies, I totally agree with everyone's observations. When he "spins" around, he doesn't secure/protect the ball when he runs through the A & B gaps. Also, when he hits the hole, he's running too upright when he needs to be squaring his shoulders and lowering his center of gravity to take on the contact. He is obviously not doing it because when he makes contact, he spins around outta control and goes towards the ground. If his shoulders were square and he was lower to the ground, he'd have defenders bouncing off of him and breaking more tackles.

I am sold on him but he's kinda "raw" but he should be fine in the long run. Hopefully his flaws will get corrected sooner rather than later.

Big T
12-27-2009, 04:37 PM
He went over 1,000 yards rushing starting 12 games...I'll take it...the blocking was **** today...Ramon Foster cannot pull like Kemo...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Don't forget here guys, this really is his rookie year, so he's got things he can improve on for next year and in the future. The coaches will continue to work with him to refine his skills but he's gonna be a good one, I have little doubt of that.

harpo
12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Don't forget here guys, this really is his rookie year, so he's got things he can improve on for next year and in the future. The coaches will continue to work with him to refine his skills but he's gonna be a good one, I have little doubt of that.

You're right....that's why I said that his flaws will be corrected as he gets more carries. :tt02:

ejsteeler
12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
He went over 1,000 yards rushing starting 12 games...I'll take it...the blocking was **** today...Ramon Foster cannot pull like Kemo...

Good points.....he is the future for now.......

Zachintosh66
12-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah Kemo is a beast... I really like him. Ya'll have blasted me about him, but i watched the way he played in college and any OL who has to go the anger management classes is good enuff in my book. Kemo is our #2 OL behinf Colon. The other 3 suck! But at least Stalpelton is on IR! Hes my least fav Steeler just ahead of Gay and Carter.

NCSteeler
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Spinning and ball security can be corrected. He has had a pretty good year, I look for him to get better next year too.

Azzurri
12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'd like to see Willie get more touches. They should be sharing the load 50-50 at this time, in my opinion.

Stairwayto7
12-27-2009, 05:20 PM
TG good point, he is a rookie, although he has been in camp for two season, I`m giving him the benefit of doubt here, as long as he laces up his cleats in a Steelers uni, I`m a fan

Moondog
12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Mendy will be fine although he did have a bad game. He dropped a TD pass and later on fumbled, but overall he's been a plus this year and he will only get better. By the way, FWP looked pretty good in his limited action.