PDA

View Full Version : Will Willie ever be great again?

NCSteeler
12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I know, I know a lot of you will say he never was great. I was reading an article on the Trib about Willie being a good pro because he hasn't complained about losing his job and I saw this tidbit I had completely forgotten. Willie was leading the league in rushing when he broke his leg. I know the drop off has been huge, but after two years of on again off again injuries , do you think Willie will ever have another 1000-1300 yard year? I think he finally looks healthy and is just not getting the reps to show more because Mendy is doing so great. I think he is finally showing some burst and strength he hasn't shown in a long time. Steelers may get to keep him on the cheap, but I'm guessing he'll be looking at starting some where next season. Washington,Seatle, Browns all come to mind.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I disagree with those who say he was never great, but what made him Fast Willie Parker was his ability to make those cut backs and break it to the outside and take off down the sideline. All the injuries to his feet and legs have disabled his ability to do that. I don't think he'll be starting anywhere else in the NFL, unless a team is in sudden desperation for a running back. (He'd also probably do a lot better with a team that has a good blocking OL.)

LarryNJ
12-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't think he was never great but he was good. I doubt he'll ever come close to 1300 yards again. My guess would be he'll be a backup and maybe get 500-600 yards tops.

LatrobePA
12-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Never great just FAST! Sorry!!

75Steeler
12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Whats wrong with keeping him as a backup for Mendenhall and or to use on special teams? Maybe sign him to a one year deal next season and see how things go?

igor0190
12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
His inability to stay healthy has witten his ticket out of Pittsburgh.

Zachintosh66
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Sunday is his last day in a steeler uni in pittsburg...

JensK
12-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Never great just FAST! Sorry!!

I agree. Willie was never a great RB, but he was fast as lightning, and if the o-line does a good job, that can get you a long way, but with our current oline, and various of injuries to Willie he is over the hill. I would like them to resign him as a back-up, but there will probably be teams who will want to sign him for more than what we are willing to pay him.

stLlRfn14
12-26-2009, 04:09 PM
He was never great. Wont be anything more than a 2nd or 3rd string back, and that wont be in PGH either. Cya it was nice knowing you...well kinda. And thanks for that record setting longest TD run in Super Bowl history, thats what we will remember you for.

Moondog
12-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Willie had some great moments and if he gets behind an offensive line that can open some holes for him he'll still zip through them. I wish nothing but the best for FWP, he's one of those "against all odds" type of guys. It would be great to keep him around but I think he will make some other team very happy they picked him up.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I was always a big FWP fan, he was a great story for the league being an UDFA, and not having much of a college career at RB and then making history in SB XL. He has shown flashes of greatness and he is a real solid 1-2 punch for a team that has a power RB. As an every down, feature, back though he just doesn't get the job done quite enough. He's too much of an all or nothing back unfortunately, when you're a feature back you can't go -2 -3 +6 or -5 -4 +15 and expect to get anywhere.

The trend in the NFL is to have that one back that run between the tackles but still have enough speed to bounce it outside and make people miss. The days of teams having a Jerome Bettis type back are pretty much gone now, and that's where FWP thrived the most; as a complimentary back to a big bruiser. The other knock against Parker is that he can't see the field as well as he should, his vision has always been alittle suspect.

Overall, will he ever be great, well I don't know but he'll be solid for another team I think.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
The other knock against Parker is that he can't see the field as well as he should, his vision has always been alittle suspect.

I always thought the same thing. There have been so many times when Parker could have gone to the outside and picked up 10 yards, but instead he chose to go down the middle and pick up 1. It doesn't help his case with the Steelers that Mendenhall can pick up atleast 3 or 4 power yards down the middle with not a lot of blocking, but can also realize when he can bounce it outside and pick up more than that. Bettis made Parker look good, simple as that. They were a good tandum, Bettis' power and Parkers speed. Too bad Mendy has both (for Parker).

Steel Trap86
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I like Willie, but he was never consistent year in and out, and he has problems staying healthy, seems like he misses 5 to 8 games a year...just unreliable.