PDA

View Full Version : Please Coach Tomlin bench William Gay in favor of Deshea Sunday against the Ravens...

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I just dont understand for the life of me why Mike Tomlin and this coaching staff just continues to let William Gay start and continue to fail and fail miserably. Does Gay have some dirt on Tomlin or something that he doesnt want to get exposed if he ends up benching him?? William Gay's play at cornerback has gotten extremely worse as every week goes on and that might be putting it nicely saying his play has gotten worse. His play is just flat out horrific and unacceptable for a starting cornerback in the National Football League. Gay continually gets beat time and time again on every single ball thrown his way and if he doesnt get beat he slips or loses his footing which also results in a big play. I mean when is enough going to be enough Coach Tomlin?? I mean how much worse does Gay have to ****ing play for Tomlin to realize that he cant start anymore.

Tomlin at this point has got to go back to Deshea Townsend as the starter. While Deshea's play might have dropped off over the last few years he is still a veteran and has been a solid player for this Steelers defense for many years. I can almost guarantee he would not get beat half as many times as Gay has. Mike Tomlin holds his weekly press conference tomorrow and one of the first things or questions he better get asked and address is if he is making a change at corner and going back to Deshea over William Gay. At this point it's an absolute MUST in order to get some kind of improvement back in this secondary...

Stairwayto7
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah I agree, Townsend cannot play any worse that GAY. I guess we let the wrong CB go last year!

--- Added 12/21/2009 at 04:23 PM ---

We could use McFadden now

darnik44
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree, but this would be far too intelligent of a decision for this staff to make. If they start making wise dec

--- Added 12/21/2009 at 04:25 PM ---

I agree, but this would be way too smart of a decision to make for this coaching staff. If they start making smart decisions there goes our consistancy.

--- Added 12/21/2009 at 04:27 PM ---

What's sad is, Gay wasn't even that good in college. He should have gone undrafted. I suspect Tomlin was the one who liked him. Maybe that's why he's hell bent on starting him.

NFLDraftScout (probably the most legitimate scouting service out there) had Gay ranked as the 43rd best CB in the 2007 draft.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah I agree, Townsend cannot play any worse that GAY. I guess we let the wrong CB go last year!

--- Added 12/21/2009 at 04:23 PM ---

We could use McFadden now

I started a thread about letting McFadden go about a month ago and some posters came on here and actually defended Gay and said he was having a solid year and saying that McFadden was having a terrible year in Arizona. Id like for those few posters who said that to please step away and put down the crack pipe you were smoking.

JensK
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I started a thread about letting McFadden go about a month ago and some posters came on here and actually defended Gay and said he was having a solid year and saying that McFadden was having a terrible year in Arizona. Id like for those few posters who said that to please step away and put down the crack pipe you were smoking.

While we all agree that Gay is ****ing terrible, i think most who defended Gay compared to McFadden had/have a decent case, seeing Mcfadden is failing big time in AZ too, and for like 3 times the money. Gay started the season decent, but he is just getting worse and worse and the season progress.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
While we all agree that Gay is ****ing terrible, i think most who defended Gay compared to McFadden had/have a decent case, seeing Mcfadden is failing big time in AZ too, and for like 3 times the money. Gay started the season decent, but he is just getting worse and worse and the season progress.

Who cares if he is failing in Arizona this season?? So what does that mean he would be playing terrible in this system this under Dick Lebeau where he seemed to be one of those players that fit Lebeau's system perfect?? Maybe Arizona's defensive system just isnt as good as the Steelers and Lebeau's. Ive watched McFadden a bunch of times this year and while he hasnt been great I wouldnt say he has been terrible like you have been saying. When McFadden was here and when he got playing time and he started he was nothing but solid for the Steelers. He was a sure tackler, he was never out of position and he batted down and broke up a ton of huge pass plays. Remember 2005 Jensk against the Colts in the playoffs late in the game the play he made on Reggie Wayne in the back of the end zone on a perfect pass from Peyton Manning?? If McFadden doesnt make that unbelievable play on Wayne there is no one for the thumb that year period. They should have paid the guy for that one play alone.

SteelCityKid5
12-21-2009, 06:56 PM

McFadden is the 2nd most thrown to CB in the league behind Ike.

JensK
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Who cares if he is failing in Arizona this season?? So what does that mean he would be playing terrible in this system this under Dick Lebeau where he seemed to be one of those players that fit Lebeau's system perfect?? Maybe Arizona's defensive system just isnt as good as the Steelers and Lebeau's. Ive watched McFadden a bunch of times this year and while he hasnt been great I wouldnt say he has been terrible like you have been saying. When McFadden was here and when he got playing time and he started he was nothing but solid for the Steelers. He was a sure tackler, he was never out of position and he batted down and broke up a ton of huge pass plays. Remember 2005 Jensk against the Colts in the playoffs late in the game the play he made on Reggie Wayne in the back of the end zone on a perfect pass from Peyton Manning?? If McFadden doesnt make that unbelievable play on Wayne there is no one for the thumb that year period. They should have paid the guy for that one play alone.

All this really does not matter, because he is not here anymore - Guy wanted too much money and left. We will all be bitching about the very same thing about Hampton (probably) in a couple of years, until we find a good replacement for him. Thats the name of the game.

What i just wonder is, if he was so great in our system, why did we let him go (we could afford him), and he did he split time with Gay? Obviously not because he dominated, or even played good, because then there would have been no reason for him to split time with Gay.

Also, i know you look into what players did in the past, and i respect that troy, but i honestly could not care less what he did in 05. What happened in 05, can stay in 05, because that is not going to help us now, and one big play does not make a player great. So many good examples on that around the league, every single week. Steelers is a great example of that. If we had to pay the price everyone on our defense desirved last year (because everyone made big plays, even gay), we would be minus 50mil on the cap. Thats just not how it works.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
While I agree with this, the most critical matchup will be covering Ray Rice out of the backfield. I pray that coach LeBeau puts Timmons on Rice because Farrior can't cover him 1 on 1. Take away Mason and Rice, Flacco's security blankets are gone and that's when Flacco will start trying to force passes and make mistakes.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
While I agree with this, the most critical matchup will be covering Ray Rice out of the backfield. I pray that coach LeBeau puts Timmons on Rice because Farrior can't cover him 1 on 1. Take away Mason and Rice, Flacco's security blankets are gone and that's when Flacco will start trying to force passes and make mistakes.

The most critical thing will be Troy Polamalu who I am a big supporter of as you all know finally growing a set of nuts and sucking it up and playing and helping this abomination of a secondary out...

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
The loyalty to gay is no different than the head coach's previous loyalty to Parker and his remaining loyalty to Arian's. Incompetence doesn't make anything better, only worse

Goodfrom55
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
If he is 75 or 80% he needs to TRY playing. I might as well drive to Pittsburgh and play SS.

I never liked Tyronne Carter and I never will.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
All this really does not matter, because he is not here anymore - Guy wanted too much money and left. We will all be bitching about the very same thing about Hampton (probably) in a couple of years, until we find a good replacement for him. Thats the name of the game.

What i just wonder is, if he was so great in our system, why did we let him go (we could afford him), and he did he split time with Gay? Obviously not because he dominated, or even played good, because then there would have been no reason for him to split time with Gay.

Also, i know you look into what players did in the past, and i respect that troy, but i honestly could not care less what he did in 05. What happened in 05, can stay in 05, because that is not going to help us now, and one big play does not make a player great. So many good examples on that around the league, every single week. Steelers is a great example of that. If we had to pay the price everyone on our defense desirved last year (because everyone made big plays, even gay), we would be minus 50mil on the cap. Thats just not how it works.

Well the front office did something they dont do too often since Kevin Colbert has been here and that's they made a mistake keeping one player and letting another one go. They obviously were wrong thinking that William Gay could step in and be a full time starter based on what they saw last season. You can say what you but you will never convince me that if Bryant McFadden was still on this team this season as the Steelers starting CB that he would be playing half as bad as William Gay has this entire season. Gay was a 7th round pick for a reason and he is showing that in every sort of way imaginable so far this season.

igor0190
12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous to say that we should have kept Mcfadden. He was splitting time with Gay last year in our defence and were going to pay him big money to stay??? I don't know why you guys can't put this to rest.

I suppose you guys want to keep Nate Washington and pay him 3-4 million a year or whatever the TItans are paying him.

The WHOLE defence ain't clicking, and yes William Gay is getting exposed but keeping Mcfadden was NOT an option for the Steelers.

LatrobePA
12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
With Troy out there our DB's look 100 times better! I'm all in favor of benching Gay if Troy isn't playing this weekend, something has to be done!

I will say this though, we have to get more pressure with the guys up front..

Big T
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
If Tomlin ever decides to bench Gay it won't be in favor of Deshea, it would be in favor of Joe Burnett...he said it before the Cleveland game....he said if Gay can't go because of his concussion, Joe Burnett would start opposite Ike because he wants to keep Deshea at nickel...

Joe Burnett has actually played ok since he's seen increased playing time(aside from his slip that gave up a TD on GBs last drive)...I would be ok with Burnett starting...atleast just to see if he can handle the starting job.

steelersbabex25
12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Townsend has always been dependable in coverage, the guy is just getting progressively slower as time goes on..he couldn't keep up with the recievers in the few snaps he's played this season. That being said, I'd take almost anyone over Gay..Townsend could probably atleast stand up more than 50% of the time.

Steel Trap86
12-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Have we even seen an interception since Troy has been out? I remember Carter actually taking one to the house against Denver, but other then that....rarely do we see any turnovers.

Troyisabeast_43
12-22-2009, 12:40 AM
If Tomlin ever decides to bench Gay it won't be in favor of Deshea, it would be in favor of Joe Burnett...he said it before the Cleveland game....he said if Gay can't go because of his concussion, Joe Burnett would start opposite Ike because he wants to keep Deshea at nickel...

Joe Burnett has actually played ok since he's seen increased playing time(aside from his slip that gave up a TD on GBs last drive)...I would be ok with Burnett starting...atleast just to see if he can handle the starting job.

Go with the experience and start Deshea. Burnett hasnt been terrible since he has been playing more but he hasnt really done anything at all to stand out to say that should be starting. I dont want to hear this crap about Tomlin doesnt want to start Deshea because he wants to strictly play him on 3rd down in the Nickel Package that's complete horseshit. The bottom line is William Gay is failing as a starter each and every week and his play is going from bad to worse. Is Tomlin that blind or too stupid and ignorant to realize that Gay is simply not getting the job done being an every down corner and needs to be benched. The Ravens picked on Gay a ton the last time these two teams meet in Baltimore and I can guarantee you this week that Cam Cameron and Joe Flacco are going to have the exact same game plan going into the game this weekend at Heinz Field...Gay has no business starting on this team anymore period end of story no excuses...

Zachintosh66
12-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Have we even seen an interception since Troy has been out? I remember Carter actually taking one to the house against Denver, but other then that....rarely do we see any turnovers.

No CB's have any picks...

DanRooney
12-22-2009, 07:40 AM
McFadden is the 2nd most thrown to CB in the league behind Ike.

o rly?! I am very curious where you've gotten that stat because without looking at anything and just by watching our games, I can tell you that Gay has been the most targeted corner on our team.

UKSTEELER
12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Townsend is the only legit replacement at the moment.

Burnett, needs a longer look, but from what I saw Sunday, it don't look all that promising, he's too small and he got totally tooled, he slipped because the receiver had him beat all ends up.

The only other option would be Lewis, but because he isn't a big hitter and can't get on ST, Mike says he's got to go rot the bench!! Was Neon Deion a big hitting STer? No. just the best cover corner ever, thats' all.:rant2:

Azzurri
12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Can somebody please revoke Tomlin's subscription to "Scientific Football 2009"?

This must be the reason McFadden was let go in favor of Gay.

Scientific Football: Cornerback and Receiver Statistics (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/scientific-football-cornerback-and-receiver-statistics/)

Excerpt (based on 2008 stats):

The metric used to rate the corners in the Magazine is SYPA, which stands for Success percentage X Yards Per Attempt (with success percentage being the percentage of incompletions and offensive pass interference penalties the CB draws). The idea behind this number is to reward those CBs who can both force a high number of incompletions and allow a low YPA.

The top 10 here is often composed of players you wouldn’t necessarily think of as shutdown cornerbacks, and this year’s list is no different:

Willam Gay 1.4 SYPA
Corey Webster 1.6 SYPA
Samari Rolle 1.7 SYPA
Sheldon Brown 1.8 SYPA
Brandon Flowers 1.9 SYPA
Darrelle Revis 2.0 SYPA
Charles Woodson 2.2 SYPA
Al Harris 2.3 SYPA
Chris Carr 2.3 SYPA
Stanford Routt 2.4 SYPA

The only big names here are Webster, Rolle, Revis, Woodson and Harris. Gay’s total might go a long way toward explaining why Pittsburgh didn’t get into the Bryant McFadden bidding more than they did. This metric also says Green Bay probably has the best set of cover cornerbacks in the NFL.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/18/sports/18fifthdown.190.jpg

SteelCityKid5
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Bouchette had it on his PG+ couple weeks ago and I cant find it now