PDA

View Full Version : We beat Rats -- rats beat Raiders..are we in ?

TheButt
12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Someone tell me... how do we get in the playoffs with the same record as the Rats.. they hold tie-breaker..

Can the stars align???????:crossfingers:

Clevelandsux
12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I think the Rats would have the better division record. I'm hoping Denver falters.

--- Added 12/20/2009 at 08:49 PM ---

Ravens lost twice to cincy Steelers lost to cincy twice
Beat Browns twice Split with Browns
would split with us if we win. if we split with ravens

Zachintosh66
12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Looking at the schedule looks like Ravens (pitt, oak), Broncos (philly, kc) finishing at 9-7.

Jags (ne clev), Dolphins(hou pitt), Titans(sd sea) at 8-8

Houston(mia ne) and Jets(indy cin) have a uphill climb to get to 8-8 (prolly 7-9)

darnik44
12-20-2009, 10:52 PM
For the Steelers to make the playoffs...

1. Steelers must win out (@Baltimore, @ Miami).

2. Jacksonville needs to lose to either New England or Cleveland (both on the road).

3. New York Jets need to lose to either Indianapolis (away) or Cincinnati (home).

4. Denver needs to lose to either Philadelphia (away) or Kansas City (home). OR Baltimore needs to lose @ Oakland in week 17.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2009, 10:58 PM
I think the Rats would have the better division record. I'm hoping Denver falters.

--- Added 12/20/2009 at 08:49 PM ---

Ravens lost twice to cincy Steelers lost to cincy twice
Beat Browns twice Split with Browns
would split with us if we win. if we split with ravens

We cant worry about the Ravens losing to the Raiders the last week just yet because that could be irrelevant anyway and wont matter. If the Jags lose to the Pats,the Broncos lose in Philly to the Eagles,the Jets lose in Indy to the Colts,and the Texans lose in Miami to the Dolphins which are all very very possible next week and the Steelers beat the Ravens next Sunday it wont matter if the Ravens lose to the Raiders or not the last week of the season because the Steelers will control their own destiny to get the 6th seed going into Miami the final week of the season...

steelerschick1220
12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I sincerely could see the Jets, Jags, and Broncos all losing next week. If that's the case, I think it could come down to the game at Miami as to who gets the sixth seed. Anyways, next going to focus on it too much right now. Just going to enjoy the win.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM
For the Steelers to make the playoffs...

1. Steelers must win out (@Baltimore, @ Miami).

2. Jacksonville needs to lose to either New England or Cleveland (both on the road).

3. New York Jets need to lose to either Indianapolis (away) or Cincinnati (home).

4. Denver needs to lose to either Philadelphia (away) or Kansas City (home). OR Baltimore needs to lose @ Oakland in week 17.

Need Houston to lose at least one more game as well in either Miami next week or home to New England the final week which Im sure they will do seeing that they barely beat a pathetic Rams team today by 3 points with a 3rd string QB...

KSSteelerfan
12-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Lets face it...when it comes down to brass tacks the Steelers needing certain teams to lose just to get into the playoffs doesn't bode well for this team. The Steelers pretty much controlled their own destiny until they went on that 5 game losing streak which the team itself had control over. I just don't know right now if all of these possible scenerios will materialize enough for the Steelers to be in the wild card. Right now what this team has to do is concentrate on winning the last few games of the season and worry about what happens after that.:2cents::imho:

Clevelandsux
12-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey it is what it is. Like it or not. We still have a chance. Do we deserve it, probably not. It would sure be something if we got in the playoffs after this up and down season. We get polamalu back for the playoffs? Ya never know! I agree however we must focus on winning last two games. If we do that, I'll be happy whether or not we get in or not.

Zachintosh66
12-21-2009, 01:08 AM
great teams make great plays (just forget about the first 14 weeks)...

:lol:

darnik44
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Need Houston to lose at least one more game as well in either Miami next week or home to New England the final week which Im sure they will do seeing that they barely beat a pathetic Rams team today by 3 points with a 3rd string QB...

No because we hold the tie-breaker over Houston.

75Steeler
12-21-2009, 08:41 AM
"Playoffs? I'm just trying to win a game man!" - Mike Tomlin

LatrobePA
12-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Good stuff:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Looks like attitudes are a bit more upbeat this morning. Congrats on the big win.

biglarrythree
12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Ok. I might have too much free time, but this was killing me. Heres what I came up with. This doesnt include if the Ravens or Broncos lose out, which would completely change the seedings. Im just going strictly off what needs to happen. Lemme know if im incorrect. Im going off the current standings on NFL.com for the AFC Conference:

#5 Baltimore Ravens 8-6
@ Steelers
@ Raiders
Have to lose to us

#6 Denver Broncos 8-6
@ Eagles
Chiefs
Have to lose one
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 Jacksonville Jaguars 7-7
@ Patriots
@ Browns
Have to lose one

#8 Miami Dolphins 7-7
Texans
Steelers
Have to lose to us

#9 New York Jets 7-7
@ Colts
Bengals
Have to lose one more

#10 Pittsburgh Steelers 7-7
Ravens
@ Dolphins
Have to win out

#11 Tennessee Titans 7-7
Chargers
@ Seahawks
Doesn’t matter

#12 Houston Texans 7-7
@ Dolphins
Patriots
Doesn’t matter

JensK
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks like attitudes are a bit more upbeat this morning. Congrats on the big win.

Could be possible be less upbeat than it was? :P

JensK
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Great post right here, and it pretty much sums it up! The tie-breaker rules are pretty complicated, and it gets even worse when its the wildcard tie-breaker, but here goes:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

There are way more rules too it, but this is the scenarios Steelers will probably face if, by a little luck, everything pans out.

TheButt
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Good posts everyone... (you too Rat fan).

Aint this some fun chit !!! , Xmas will be better knowing we have a shot... looking forward to a great game from the Rats..
Finally feeling good about the Stillers chances for the first time in a while.. great Xmas present.

Even if we dont make it in,, I want to beat the Rats so they have must win the following week.

Ravenous Rex
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
What's up guys- been a while...

Feels like the playoffs already. Having flashbacks to AFC Championship week. This will be a fun week.

One thing's for sure- I'd much rather play you coming off a win than a loss that eliminated you from playoff contention. Makes this Sunday's game very exciting. Too bad they can't put it in primetime.

TheButt
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Why cant they put it in primetime ??? Would be nice though.