PDA

View Full Version : This Defense is a total trainwreck, it's as simple as that!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
How far the Steelers have fallen on defense, how much worse can it possibly get? You give up 383 yds threw the air today, you couldn't stop them when it counted, you can't tackle to save your lives, you can't cover worth a damn, you get inconsistent pressure at best, and generally just pretty much fail every time you're on the field.

What more can you say, it's just a fail group and these 11 guys should be ashamed to call themselves a Pittsburgh Steelers defense. I've never seen a more talented, or so it would seem, group of players be so bad with so much on the line. Where's the pride, where's the determination, where's the will get the big play and save the day? On defense atleast, it's nowhere to be found.

jpele
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
How far the Steelers have fallen on defense, how much worse can it possibly get? You give up 383 yds threw the air today, you couldn't stop them when it counted, you can't tackle to save your lives, you can't cover worth a damn, you get inconsistent pressure at best, and generally just pretty much fail every time you're on the field.

What more can you say, it's just a fail group and these 11 guys should be ashamed to call themselves a Pittsburgh Steelers defense. I've never seen a more talented, or so it would seem, group of players be so bad with so much on the line. Where's the pride, where's the determination, where's the will get the big play and save the day? On defense atleast, it's nowhere to be found.

It don't help that the head coach tries to give the game away.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
WILLIAM GAY SHOULD BE CUT TONIGHT!!! He is absolutely atrocious!!! How many big pass plays does he have to give up before he is benched in favor of Deshea...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Im not sure who gave up more, was it Gay or Clark tonight?! Both of them are an epic disaster and neither one should be doing anything but kissing Ben's *** for getting the win tonight.

It just amazes me to see a Steeler defense be this much of a failure, I still can't believe how many tackles they miss, how many pass defenses they fail at, how many INT's they drop, it's almost comical.

DanRooney
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I have been a Steelers fan for a good 17 years and I have never seen our D look this bad. It's beyond terrible. They can NOT make a play at all when they need to. If there is one thing consistent with the Steelers over the past 40 years, it's been our defense. Tomlin is just throwing it out the window. They all need to get their asses chewed out.

Our secondary is the worst in the league. Gay is constantly falling on his *** and Tyrone is never in a position to make a tackle or a play on the ball all the meanwhile Clark is out there headhunting the entire game and is really doing nothing to help. It's hard to watch. One big play after another.

Another thing to take note is the lack of sacks on the QB. The past handful of games we have not been getting to the quarterback fast enough. Rodgers is in front of one of the worst lines in the NFL and we had a whopping 1 sack on the guy. Harrison doesn't seem to be getting there quick enough anymore. Farrior is just wretched.

I hate to say it, but I really hope LeBeau resigns after this year. Thank you for all you've done for the Steelers, and you are definitely deserving of the HOF, but you have lost a step since the SB. I don't want to believe Polamalu is the key to his success as a DC.

Azzurri
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Why did the Steelers let Bryant McFadden get away in the offseason? He is head and shoulders above Ike Taylor and William Gay. There is no excuse for letting him get away if it was monetary reasons only.

jpele
12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
was it Gay or Clark tonight?! Both of them are an epic disaster and neither one should be doing anything but kissing Ben's *** for getting the win tonight.

Clark has an excuse, he's spiting the fans.

DanRooney
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Im not sure who gave up more, was it Gay or Clark tonight?! Both of them are an epic disaster and neither one should be doing anything but kissing Ben's *** for getting the win tonight.

It just amazes me to see a Steeler defense be this much of a failure, I still can't believe how many tackles they miss, how many pass defenses they fail at, how many INT's they drop, it's almost comical.

1. Tyrone
2. Gay
3. Clark

Big T
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Trust me, I know the D has played like **** BUT "statistically" they are a top 5 D...I think we were all extremely spoiled from last year and don't forget, this was a top 5 passing offense and a great QB with a great group if recievers...as long as they win, I dont care how ugly it was...

Beautiful game....Game of the Year

weidnerr
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Our D-Backs are what is really killing us. They are playing terrible. Gay should have been benched 6 weeks ago, Carter is taking horrible angles and always wants the big hit. He gets burnt for 25 yards and gets up trash talking! Ike can't catch and gets frequently turned inside out. I like Clark but he is out of position a lot. Burnett and Mundy haven't shown anything yet but they have to be better than William Gay. Gay isn't making any plays right now. He is still falling down all the time. None of our D-Backs seem to be able to catch. You get opportunities you have to make the easy catches at least!

HUNT4SEVEN
12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Why did the Steelers let Bryant McFadden get away in the offseason? He is head and shoulders above Ike Taylor and William Gay. There is no excuse for letting him get away if it was monetary reasons only.

He wanted more money the Ronneys offered him 20 million for 4 years, he wanted more...If troy doesn't come back i do not want this team in post season IMO......

DanRooney
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Trust me, I know the D has played like **** BUT "statistically" they are a top 5 D...I think we were all extremely spoiled from last year and don't forget, this was a top 5 passing offense and a great QB with a great group if recievers...as long as they win, I dont care how ugly it was...

Our front 7 is top 5 maybe...

Our secondary is #32.

Big T
12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Our front 7 is top 5 maybe...

Our secondary is #32.

Quite possibly

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
If Deshea Townsend who played decent tonight and ended up breaking up a GB td pass in the end zone does not start next week over William Gay then Mike Tomlin should be crucified...The William Gay experiment is over Coach Tomlin time to bench him and start Deshea once again especially with this team still in wildcard contention and Troy possibly coming back against Miami...

LarryNJ
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Trust me, I know the D has played like **** BUT "statistically" they are a top 5 D...I think we were all extremely spoiled from last year and don't forget, this was a top 5 passing offense and a great QB with a great group if recievers...

What about the Browns, Chiefs, Raiders, Bears? It's not all about today and the only stat that matters is W

:yellowthumb: Yes it was without a doubt!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
If Deshea Townsend who played decent tonight and ended up breaking up a GB td pass in the end zone does not start next week over William Gay then Mike Tomlin should be crucified...The William Gay experiment is over Coach Tomlin time to bench him and start Deshea once again especially with this team still in wildcard contention and Troy possibly coming back against Miami...

I've been calling for Townsend to start for the last 4 weeks now, Gay is beyond terrible, he's a total disaster! Clark isn't a nightmare too, I saw him out position so many times tonight I lost count!

Clevelandsux
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
our secondary is the problem. Taylor, Gay and Carter freaking suck. You see Carter on that td by Jennings? It's sad when you have to get your d off the field to win the game. I still think that's why Tomlin did the onside kick.

LatrobePA
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Unless our Offense scores 30+ we'll lose!

Zachintosh66
12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I still say Timmons is playing the wrong position. Him at OLB... but that would leave out Woodley or James... Woods isnt fast enuff to play middle and James isnt smart enuff...

--- Added 12/20/2009 at 09:51 PM ---

BTW... Defense still didnt produce any Turnovers :evilshake: 12 count them 12 quarters since we have caused a turnover!

Hell the secondary cant even tackle anyone let alone pick a pass off... dont forget about Burnetts late hit personal foul :evilshake:

Callax
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM

I believe that is why we are seeing more of J Burnett lately
The Gay experiment is VERY OVER.. McFadden was a better, SMARTER player tha Gay is,
Gay plays off WAY too much and often falls flat on his A$$ to let completions for 1st downs take place. 3 times VS Oak,
3 falls 3 catches for 1st downs...
1 or 2 times against GB, do we see a pattern here, people?!
Get LONGER CLEATS, DUMMY!!!!
I hope K Lewis is a starter next year this coming year, along with Burnett and another DB drafted. We need better depth at CB and safety in case Troy is hurt again next year.

Timmons is a great blitzer, but is not as smart as FOOTE...
Foote did not make alot of "splash "plays, but he was always in position, and was a good tackler...
Timmons is out of position, and has several times taken out other steelers by diving at the ball carrier and take out players who could/would make a tackle...
I hope his mental game will catch up to his physical ability by next year, cuz he would be awesome!!!

LatrobePA
12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Gay is sorry! Deion said it best "this is the worst Steelers D I've ever seen" I agree with him....

DanRooney
12-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I still say Timmons is playing the wrong position. Him at OLB... but that would leave out Woodley or James... Woods isnt fast enuff to play middle and James isnt smart enuff...

--- Added 12/20/2009 at 09:51 PM ---

BTW... Defense still didnt produce any Turnovers :evilshake: 12 count them 12 quarters since we have caused a turnover!

Hell the secondary cant even tackle anyone let alone pick a pass off... dont forget about Burnetts late hit personal foul :evilshake:

Woodley isn't fast enough to play ILB? ILBs are slower than OLBs. Taunto Farrior is a prime example.

UKSTEELER
12-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Woodley isn't fast enough to play ILB? ILBs are slower than OLBs. Taunto Farrior is a prime example.

Does he mean Donovan?

Anyway.

Some players, Woodley, Clarke have not played up to expectation, couple that with the loss of our two best defenders for practically all season and the mistake of letting BMac go, is it any wonder there has been some fall off.

It's not helped by the offense not being on the field as long, we're either 3 passes and punt or down the field in two minutes.

I can't believe how all of a sudden our Defense is to blame for this season, Bruce calls one half decent game and we finally put up some proper points, and all of a sudden this offense is great! No freakin way!!:nono:

Iron City South
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Ok, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and offer my take on our defensive woes. Here goes ..

Outside of the obvious, that this defense misses Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu dearly, there are a number of things that just didn't work out this year coupled with the fact that "age" is very very unforgiving once you hit "the wall" ... those of us that are either in the 40's ... and even those in the 2nd half of their 30's know exactly what I'm talking about.

William Gay - Biggest underachiever on the defense this year bar none. Somebody on the coaching staff sent the message upward that Gay was ready for the bigs. That information ultimately led to the front office feeling that McFadden was expendable, thus was not tendered an offer. BIG mistake. Gay was nowhere near ready to be an every down starter in this league. Gay is young and inexperienced, I'll grant him that, but I don't see him being much more than a nickle/dime package CB on this team. I see him taking the spot Townsend takes up on the roster right now.

Ike Taylor - "Average Ike" as I like to call him. While those in Pittsburgh may wash Ike's balls because he's the best CB we have on the roster, Ike is not a special talent in this league as far as CB's are concerned ... in fact, with his lack of ball awareness and hands of stone, he's very pedestrian if you're comparing him to the leagues elite. No way in hell I would pay Ike the $6+ MIL he's making now. No way ... Ike must take a pay cut or he's out.

Ty Carter - Carter has value on this team. However, it's not value that translates into a starting player ... especially at Safety. Carter is a hell of a back-up to have at the FS spot. The guy kills people when he's playing FS. In fact .. that's where he should be ... all the time in addition to some ST's work.

Ryan Clark - The guy plays with heart. The guy loves to hit people. So what's wrong with that ICS? ... Well, the guy tries way to hard to set up the kill shot often causes him to whiff miserably and this also causes im to be out of position alot! Another Steeler defensiveman who has zero ball handling skills.

James Farrior - Potsie, I love ya man ... but I've got to be perfectly honest, you've now become a liability on this defense. I hate it for you bro ... but I can't take it watching you get owned in pass coverage any longer. You're now playing the "mike" LB'er spot at 212 lbs and you look terrible at this weight. It didn't help your speed a bit and you're getting owned by bigger RB's trying to stop the run. They're running over you dude. I loved what you gave to this team and you will always be a Steeler in my book, however it's time to move along good friend, father time has caught you. . :helmet:

Front 3 (O-line) - We have no viable backup for Smith right now. Sure, we have bodies ... and that's exactly what we're doing ... putting a body in there. How much impact its having is an entirely different story. Hood may be good in the future and he may find a nut now and then, but right now he's too inexperienced to be consistently effective in the manner that Smith is. Personally, I'd like to see us look for a few new DE's and let Hood put on a few more pounds and slide over to the NT position. This would allow us to let Big Snack walk. I don't dislike Casey by any means, I just don't think we can afford to have guys on the back half of their career eating up so much salary right now. We need a new infusion of young talent .. NOW .... and the only way to get it is to go out and spend some money. I want to mention that Keisel has quietly had a really productive year and has been playing lights-out of late. I'd like to see that continue. We still need a solid back-up to him as well.

Timmons/Harrison - I'm almost wondering if Timmons wouldn't be even better sliding him to the outside and moving Harrison to the Inside "mike" spot that Farrior currently covers? The cat is lightning fast and just owns people in pass coverage. I think Timmons would deamonize people playing the outside. Harrison has been a disappointment this year in many games. Let's be honest, Harrison is not young either. You can't have a good game or two then not show up for a few weeks. I'm not buying that they're holidng him on every play. I love Silverback, but he's not the fastest guy for the OLB position and he's only going to get slower as he ages. I'd love to see teams try to run up the middle on him if we moved him inside. I think he's perfect for the role.

Well, that's my take ... As you can see it's a smorgasborg of issues that we're dealing with this year. The first thing I fix is the secondary. There's no way in hell we can continue this chirade weather Pola is healthy or not. We need a Revis type of corner who is an absolute "ball hawk". A CB who teams do not want to throw on that side of the field at. As it stands, we have 2 CB's that teams not only throw on, they look forward to targeting. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Timmons has some mad pass rush skills, but we don't see them too much on the outside because he's never out there. Harrison can play both inside and outside, which makes him immensely important to us. Harrison has fallen prey to what the entire defense has done or not done as the case may be. When you take out an Aaron Smith, that frees up teams to put an extra blocker on Harrison's side to chip him, which makes his job all more difficult.

When you think about how much the loss of Polamalu and Smith mean to this team, you can see really where there struggles come to light. If you're an offense and you know that you don't have to account for one of the best Safeties in the league and one of the best run stopping and block hogging Defensive Lineman in the league, you are a pretty happy unit overall. Slide your RB or FB out to chip Harrison, or stick the TE on that side and pretty much make him ineffective.

By the same token that opens up things for Woodley too; taking nothing away from Lamarr because the dude is beast and is showing up big time this season for us. If you're an offense you're going to key on the reigning NFL Def. MVP every time over Wood.

You hit a lot of excellent points ICS, I just wonder how much of this they will actually address this coming offseason...or will they just write this year off as an apparition and come back in 2010 with virtually the same unit? :evilshake:

Does Tomlin have the guts to make necessary personnel changes, no matter what they are, or will he just tweak something here and there and hope that fixes it?

NYCsteelersfan
12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I've never seen a pass-happy, fast scoring offense that had a good defense to compliment it. There is obviously a correlation between the two. Yes we haven't had a good secondary long before Tomlin, yes Polamalu is injured and makes that much of a defense, yes Aaron smith is a loss up font which is further hurting the secondary, but the fact that our offense no longer knows what a long "grinding" offensive drive is, to burn out the opposing team's defense while resting our own defense is without a doubt an additional factor in the debacle of our defense.

Iron City South
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Aaron smith is a loss up font which is further hurting the secondary, but the fact that our offense no longer knows what a long "grinding" offensive drive is, to burn out the opposing team's defense while resting our own defense is without a doubt an additional factor in the debacle of our defense.

All the more reason to ensure we have "YOUTH" on the defensive side of the ball. :yellowthumb:

UKSTEELER
12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
taking nothing away from Lamarr because the dude is beast and is showing up big time this season for us.

Really?

He has improved as the season has gone on, and has been more of a factor over the last 4 weeks or so, but prior to that he was underperforming in my book. :imho:

Iron City South
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Really?

He has improved as the season has gone on, and has been more of a factor over the last 4 weeks or so, but prior to that he was underperforming in my book. :imho:

I have to agree with his. Woodley had a terrible 1st half of the season. I was beginning to wonder if something was physically wrong with him. Woodley's biggest problem is that he has 1 move .... the bull rush. Teams have caught on to this. He needs to develop a few other pass rushing maneuvers to broaden his portfolio somewhat.

ejsteeler
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I was telling my wife during the game afte the failed on-side kick, I can't remember the last time I was actually afraid to put the D on the field. To fall so far from last year is hard to take. I can't even convinve myself they can pull it together now. I hope they do, but I say that with very little confidence.