PDA

View Full Version : We Need A Left Tackle Badly!

BlackGold4vr
12-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Is there a worse LT in the league? Starks is a slow footed fat-*** who is going to eventually get Ben killed. How many times did he get abused in this game? Lets stay away from the 350 pound tackles. Too big, too slow!

Max Starks SUCKS! :yesnod:

Maxie Pad was owned by the ROOKIE Clay Matthews today!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Brother man I have been screaming for a LT since I don't the last 4-5 seasons.....Starks is ok but an upgrade is so badly needed.....Starks was flat out awful today.....

jpele
12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Starks is ranked # 13 in the league, out biggest problem are center and right and left guard .

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Starks is ranked # 13 in the league, out biggest problem are center and right and left guard .

Center is a huge need......But OG isn't that bad.....Kemoeatu actually has had a solid year and Ramon Foster has flashed some potential....Of course I would never ignore drafting a OG if one fell to them in the later rounds worth taking......

I think OT and center is the biggest needs on the offense......

jpele
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Center is a huge need......But OG isn't that bad.....Kemoeatu actually has had a solid year and Ramon Foster has flashed some potential....Of course I would never ignore drafting a OG if one fell to them in the later rounds worth taking......

Kemo is rated # 41 of 78

Essex is next to last in the league

Hartwig is 35 of 35

Link (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

BlackGold4vr
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM

:plus1: I agree. LT is the bigger need than C Hartwig is functional but will never dominate.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Kemo is rated # 41 of 78

Essex is next to last in the league

Hartwig is 35 of 35

Link (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

I stated center is a huge need.....I really don't care what the rankings say.....Kemoeatu isn't that bad and is a solid starter.......He is also the best pulling OG on the roster.......I didn't mention Essex but I have liked what I have seen from Ramon Foster this year......He has done well for an undrafted player....An elite LT would upgrade this OL so much better and make a player like Kemoeatu that much better.......I would try to draft a LT and draft a center in this draft.....In my opinion if the Steelers upgrade at OT and center that will help the OG's out greatly.....

jpele
12-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Foster shows promise,Kemo makes too many mistakes and too few big plays to be anything other than average.

darnik44
12-21-2009, 09:01 AM
This upcoming draft is a little different than usual for the Steelers. Who knew they had so many holes. LT's a huge need, but NT will be an even bigger need if Hampton isn't resigned. We all know CB and FS is a huge need, and now all of the sudden James Farrior appears to be declining. Then there's the interior offensive line that needs work. If that's not enough, Willie Parker is as good as gone so depth at the RB position is a need. How many more seasons does Hines Ward have left? They also lack depth at DE. Hell they probably are going to have to find a 3rd string QB too. Oh yeah, and a kicker. I think they are left with no choice other than to sign some free agents this off season. There are actually going to be some real stars hitting the open market.

BlackGold4vr
12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
This upcoming draft is a little different than usual for the Steelers. Who knew they had so many holes. LT's a huge need, but NT will be an even bigger need if Hampton isn't resigned. We all know CB and FS is a huge need, and now all of the sudden James Farrior appears to be declining. Then there's the interior offensive line that needs work. If that's not enough, Willie Parker is as good as gone so depth at the RB position is a need. How many more seasons does Hines Ward have left? They also lack depth at DE. Hell they probably are going to have to find a 3rd string QB too. Oh yeah, and a kicker. I think they are left with no choice other than to sign some free agents this off season. There are actually going to be some real stars hitting the open market.

Agree with everything you said here. But as I said below, no need on offense is more glaring than LT. Starks has been getting abused all year long. Unless the guy loses about 40 pounds and takes some dance lessons to lighten up those heavy feet......he's gotta go! Clay Matthews owned our heavy footed Maxi Pad. IMO the offense could get away with just a new LT and draft defense with the rest of the picks. The whole line would improve if we had a franchise LT. Actually the right side of the line seems to be the Steelers preferred side to run to with Kemo pulling. We also still have Legursky, Hills, and Urbik who haven't really had their chances yet. Stapleton will also be back from his injury. We have plenty of offensive weapons if we could only keep Ben upright to get it to them.

darnik44
12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Agree with everything you said here. But as I said below, no need on offense is more glaring than LT. Starks has been getting abused all year long. Unless the guy loses about 40 pounds and takes some dance lessons to lighten up those heavy feet......he's gotta go! Clay Matthews owned our heavy footed Maxi Pad. IMO the offense could get away with just a new LT and draft defense with the rest of the picks. The whole line would improve if we had a franchise LT. Actually the right side of the line seems to be the Steelers preferred side to run to with Kemo pulling. We also still have Legursky, Hills, and Urbik who haven't really had their chances yet. Stapleton will also be back from his injury. We have plenty of offensive weapons if we could only keep Ben upright to get it to them.

And no position on the OL is more important than LT...especially with a $100 million dollar QB whose had atleast 7 concussions in his life.

cmerrifield
12-21-2009, 11:12 AM

I could disagree more. With the salary cap being a thing of the past, we cannot bring in a bunch of free agents. Those holes arent as bad as you think. I agree with better draft a FS this year and an MLB to replace Timmons. Most people think Timmons would be better in Farrior's role and we need to pick someone up for the other MLB position. We are fine on offense except some OLine depth. They arent, or wont pay, another franchise LT with Stark's contract. We also need depth at OLB. However, we will get at least 8 maybe 9 picks with the draft and compensatory picks. We can pick up all we need with those picks. I think Mundy will become the backup saftey and carter will be gone, so we could still use another safety. Kickers can go undrafted, Sweed will come around if he continues to work, Wallace and Holmes are great, Ward still has a few more years left, I like Spaeth. Miller is the man. Hood will continue to develop. Smith and Keisel will be around another year. We will keep Hampton. There is no way, no way we will go out and sign a bunch of FA's We dont need to.

darnik44
12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I could disagree more. With the salary cap being a thing of the past, we cannot bring in a bunch of free agents. Those holes arent as bad as you think. I agree with better draft a FS this year and an MLB to replace Timmons. Most people think Timmons would be better in Farrior's role and we need to pick someone up for the other MLB position. We are fine on offense except some OLine depth. They arent, or wont pay, another franchise LT with Stark's contract. We also need depth at OLB. However, we will get at least 8 maybe 9 picks with the draft and compensatory picks. We can pick up all we need with those picks. I think Mundy will become the backup saftey and carter will be gone, so we could still use another safety. Kickers can go undrafted, Sweed will come around if he continues to work, Wallace and Holmes are great, Ward still has a few more years left, I like Spaeth. Miller is the man. Hood will continue to develop. Smith and Keisel will be around another year. We will keep Hampton. There is no way, no way we will go out and sign a bunch of FA's We dont need to.

When's the last draft that the Steelers successfully drafted 8 or 9 players who all panned out? The answer is never. You also can't expect rookies, especially late round rookies to fill your needs. If it was a simple case of having warm bodies to fill those spots then we could just keep our current personel.

I never suggested the Steelers should clean house and spend a boatload of money on free agents. I saying they should go against what they generally do and sign a guy here or guy there that's makes them a better team, because again you can't count on one draft to plug a bunch of holes.

They can worry about paying too much for the LT position and then suffer the consiquenses when their $100 million dollar QB's career gets cut short because Starks is like a swinging gate.

If the Steelers intended on bringing Hampton back he would already have been re-signed. Now I could see them slapping the francise tag on him next year but also bringing in his eventual replacement.

Don't hold your breath on Ziggy Hood, he's just a poor fit for the 3-4 just like Timmons is. Tomlin has admitted to being head strong on draft day. Three drafts now and they've taken two players who fit the Tampa 2 scheme. Timmons is a classic weak side Tampa 2 OLB, and Ziggy Hood is a one gap penetrator. I remember reading a scouting report on Hood that said he looks like he's on roller skates when playing the run. If he was truely a good fit and also worth the #32 pick we would have seen more of him this year given the injuries to Aaron Smith and Travis Kirschke.

JensK
12-21-2009, 11:59 AM
When's the last draft that the Steelers successfully drafted 8 or 9 players who all panned out? The answer is never. You also can't expect rookies, especially late round rookies to fill your needs. If it was a simple case of having warm bodies to fill those spots then we could just keep our current personel.

I never suggested the Steelers should clean house and spend a boatload of money on free agents. I saying they should go against what they generally do and sign a guy here or guy there that's makes them a better team, because again you can't count on one draft to plug a bunch of holes.

They can worry about paying too much for the LT position and then suffer the consiquenses when their $100 million dollar QB's career gets cut short because Starks is like a swinging gate.

If the Steelers intended on bringing Hampton back he would already have been re-signed. Now I could see them slapping the francise tag on him next year but also bringing in his eventual replacement.

Don't hold your breath on Ziggy Hood, he's just a poor fit for the 3-4 just like Timmons is. Tomlin has admitted to being head strong on draft day. Three drafts now and they've taken two players who fit the Tampa 2 scheme. Timmons is a classic weak side Tampa 2 OLB, and Ziggy Hood is a one gap penetrator. I remember reading a scouting report on Hood that said he looks like he's on roller skates when playing the run. If he was truely a good fit and also worth the #32 pick we would have seen more of him this year given the injuries to Aaron Smith and Travis Kirschke.

And that sums it up right there. While i think both Ziggy Hood and Timmons has potential to be great (forget about when they were drafted), they'll take a lot of time, because they need to convert to a system which they do not fit into. I actually think Timmons is getting there. He is making plays, but he needs to stop up in the run game, which is a thing he can work on. Ziggy is going to take probably at least 3 years for him to be anything in this defense. Ziggy is pretty much same kind of player as Keisel, just 6 rounds between them, and Keisel took 4 years ( i think? ) to develop into something we could use.

I still feel like defense is by far our biggest concern right now. Yes, our oline is playing inconsistent, but they have been getting the job sorta done this season (they have been less terrible than last year). You can score all the points in the world, but without a defense its not going to do any good, and that is basically where we are right now. We got lucky against Packers, but that wont last against Colts or Chargers. We need to make defensive plays, and the personal we have right now, does not.

Right now, my priority list is probably like this:

FS/CB
NT (If they cant get one, they can franchise Hampton, with the uncapped year - hence not being first prio)
MLB
O-line
D-line

If we can get a good CB and FS this draft,and hopefully a good NT, we could go out and pick up a o-line in FA, and then focus on MLB and d-line next years draft.. That would be perfect in my book - you can probably pick up a very decent RB in 4th round or so, who can get the job done as a replacement of Mendenhall, when he needs a break (besides, Moore is doing a decent job when he is running the ball).

We don't really need to look at WR right now. Hines is still doing fine, Wallace is just flat out awesome, as is Holmes (who will get resigned), and i have not given up on Sweed yet. If he can get it together, we would have 3 of the deadliest WRs in the league in Wallace, Tone and Sweed, and then you can always pick up a 4th WR late in the draft - always a couple of Sleepers who can be developed into something decent.

LatrobePA
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Starks is blanking LAME! Hartwig is a close 2nd! We paid these fools, can they be cut??

cmerrifield
12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I have a bigger issue with Hartwig than Starks. On that Oline video NFL.com does Hartwig admitted he has trouble keeping his weight up. Why are keeping and extending a C who has issues keeping weight up when we play so many 3-4 defenses whose NT is a beast. In reality, I am afraid we are stuck with this line. Although, I would like to see a new C and Hartwig can play backup G or C. Didnt Wexell say there was a Center who just manhandled Cody this season, I want a Center who can manhandle Cody for a whole game

jpele
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Starks had a bad game against Green Bay,(Clay Matthews has 10 sacks so Max isn't the only to have trouble with him) exclude that game and he is a good LT. Our biggest problems are at guard and center.

Center is a serious weakness, guard I think has more to do with scheme than with talent.

BlackGold4vr
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Starks had a bad game against Green Bay,(Clay Matthews has 10 sacks so Max isn't the only to have trouble with him) exclude that game and he is a good LT. Our biggest problems are at guard and center.

Center is a serious weakness, guard I think has more to do with scheme than with talent.

Apparently you are not watching the same games that I am. Starks has had more bad games than good. The guy is a slow footed fat-***! He cannot handle any speed rush because he has heavy feet. Too big, too slow. I agree that Hartwig is also a problem. Guards can usually be converted to centers. Give Urbik a try at center in camp. But nothing is going to improve Maxi Pads pass protection because he has the feet of a tree sloth. I want me an Anthony Davis OT/Rutgers for Christmas! :yesnod:

LatrobePA
12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Starks gets beat 90% of the time, the lardass can't square up and is being bull rushed all the time....The guy does good in the community, but on the field he's no good!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Apparently you are not watching the same games that I am. Starks has had more bad games than good. The guy is a slow footed fat-***! He cannot handle any speed rush because he has heavy feet. Too big, too slow. I agree that Hartwig is also a problem. Guards can usually be converted to centers. Give Urbik a try at center in camp. But nothing is going to improve Maxi Pads pass protection because he has the feet of a tree sloth. I want me an Anthony Davis OT/Rutgers for Christmas! :yesnod:

I stated months ago that I wanted Anthony Davis so I'm with you......

darnik44
12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I stated months ago that I wanted Anthony Davis so I'm with you......

I'd be very happy with Davis. I'm starting to think if he's on the board, he's the guy. He potentially could be like adding a rookie Jonathan Ogden in the sense that you could have a 10+ pro bowl type franchise LT.

BlackGold4vr
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd be very happy with Davis. I'm starting to think if he's on the board, he's the guy. He potentially could be like adding a rookie Jonathan Ogden in the sense that you could have a 10+ pro bowl type franchise LT.

I have seen Anthony Davis ranked as the 2nd or 3rd best tackle on most draft boards and at least one scouting report that I read said Davis was better than Okung. So it would be a great pick-up to add a talent like that to this group of misfits. I could care less what they do with Starks. Cut him and let some other team deal with his fat-***. And spare me the obligatory rookies need to be mentored for 2 or 3 years before they can play. Ryan Clady who was drafted a couple years ago in Denver started every game as a rookie and gave up ZERO sacks. If you are drafting a guy in the first round he should be ready to plug in immediately.

darnik44
12-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I have seen Anthony Davis ranked as the 2nd or 3rd best tackle on most draft boards and at least one scouting report that I read said Davis was better than Okung. So it would be a great pick-up to add a talent like that to this group of misfits. I could care less what they do with Starks. Cut him and let some other team deal with his fat-***. And spare me the obligatory rookies need to be mentored for 2 or 3 years before they can play. Ryan Clady who was drafted a couple years ago in Denver started every game as a rookie and gave up ZERO sacks. If you are drafting a guy in the first round he should be ready to plug in immediately.

Yeah that's the thing, I think he'll be long gone by the time the Steelers pick. I've seen him ahead of Okung too based on his percieved higher ceiling. I think both of them are better than any of the tackles in last years draft. I'm not 100& sold on any of the other OT's projected to go in the first.

My wish list...

Ndamukong Suh
Eric Berry
Russell Okung
Anthony Davis
Rolando McClain
Terrance Cody
Joe Haden
C.J. Spiller
Brandon Spikes
Bryan Bulaga
Jared Odrick
Bruce Campbell
Dan Williams
Earl Thomas
Mike Iupati
Mardy Gilyard

BlackGold4vr
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah that's the thing, I think he'll be long gone by the time the Steelers pick. I've seen him ahead of Okung too based on his percieved higher ceiling. I think both of them are better than any of the tackles in last years draft. I'm not 100& sold on any of the other OT's projected to go in the first.

My wish list...

Ndamukong Suh
Eric Berry
Russell Okung
Anthony Davis
Rolando McClain
Terrance Cody
Joe Haden
C.J. Spiller
Brandon Spikes
Bryan Bulaga
Jared Odrick
Bruce Campbell
Dan Williams
Earl Thomas
Mike Iupati
Mardy Gilyard

Thats a pretty good list. Why is there no Gerald McCoy on your list? He or Suh would both make our team better. Have you heard anything about Philip Taylor coming out and where do you think he would grade out?

darnik44
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Thats a pretty good list. Why is there no Gerald McCoy on your list? He or Suh would both make our team better. Have you heard anything about Philip Taylor coming out and where do you think he would grade out?

I just don't know how well McCoy would be in a 3-4. Similar to Ziggy Hood, his game is penetrating.

Haven't heard anything about Taylor. He probably goes back to school. If not, I think he's still on the board in the 4th round. I think he's more big than he is a good football player.