PDA

View Full Version : Onside Kick, Worst Head Coaching Decision Ever?

weidnerr
12-20-2009, 08:56 PM
How can you kick an Onside kick with five minutes to go and a two point lead? What was Mike thinking? Ben and Mike pulled out a Miracle with the penalties helping a lot but my word what was Coach thinking??? Ike wasn't smart enough to let it go ten yards either. How hard is it to know where it is from where your standing? He still would have got it after 10. Glad we won though....
:cope:

Stairwayto7
12-20-2009, 08:57 PM
First let me say that Tomlin should hang for the call!

But I think it was Reeds fault, Ike has the ball right in the chest with players coming at him, Reed has to kick the ball 10 yards, there is no way the ball would have gone the far!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
What does the decision to do the onside kick, late in the game when you just go up by 2 points. It tells me a couple things:

1 - you have absolutely NO faith in your defense to stop them. Honestly, I can't fault him for that, our defense is a total trainwreck and our secondary should all be benched in favor of a boys club unit. They continue to give up HUGE plays, can't get off the field on 3rd down, and can't stop anybody once the opposing offense even starts to sniff the end zone.

2 - it also tells me that he is desperate beyond belief to get a win and he'll try absolutely anything to jump start this unit. They are at the lowest of the possible lowest low point you can get, being on a 5 game losing streak, so he figures at this point why not do something nobody is expecting.

Having said that, it was the worst possible time to possibly even consider doing such a play, and it obviously backfired in epic fashion and nearly cost us the game. If we lost this game it would even worse for him having to explain that, but because we won not nearly as much will be made of it.

Stairwayto7
12-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Where you been TG this is the third thread already

KSSteelerfan
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
At this point in the season one has to do something make something happen. We can all question the wisdom of making such a call . If it had worked and the Steelers scored because everyone would be saying what a genius play it was. IF the on side kick works Tomlins a hero. if it doesn't he's a goat. :imho:

jpele
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
What was he thinking, good question. Ike Taylor who couldn't catch a cold in on the dumbest onside kick in NFL history. Mike doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach.

We won the Super Bowl last year on talent alone. The mistakes were there last year but we overcame them. Tomlin simply doesn't do whats needed to win.

Mike should go watch some more movies and collect some good quotes for press conference.

igor0190
12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Such a low percentage play... I can't believe it was even a discussion to do an onside, nevermind actually go through with it.

Big T
12-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I like it....it was ballzy and it wouldve worked if Ike Taylor wasn't a dumbass

JensK
12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I liked it. It obviously caught Packers off guard, and would have worked if Reed knew how to kick. Also, there are some things you have to consider:

1. The defense had not been able to stop Packers all day, at all....

2. If they decide to kick the long kick-off, you make it pretty much impossible for your self to get a drive after that, because there was only 3.50 min left on the clock, and lets just say the ball would have been on the 30y line. Packers would have eaten up that clock easily, and they would have scored one way or another, and we all know that. This way, he actually left his offense with a chance to do something..

Azzurri
12-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I used to think Marty Mohrningwheg's decision to "take the wind" and kickoff in OT while coaching the Lions was the worst decision ever. But, this one tops it. Trying an onside kick with 3:44 left and a two point LEAD?? It's a low percentage play and the risk is great...giving the other team near field goal range. That being said...it did save some time on the clock because the Packers scored quicker than they would have had we kicked off down the field. And...we needed every second as it turned out. The play would've worked had Ike Taylor let it bounce one more yard. Of course, when your "gutsy" call requires a stiff like Taylor to make a play...then perhaps the call should never be made.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I always give a coach credit for going for the win but I'm sorry you don't surprise onside at that time.........I know the defense has been terrible and blowing leads all year but you don't go for it.....But at the same time the short field did allow Green Bay to score a TD quickly and leaving time for the Ben and the offense to work some magic......

HUNT4SEVEN
12-20-2009, 09:41 PM
No worse than Coward doing it against the Colts

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
2. If they decide to kick the long kick-off, you make it pretty much impossible for your self to get a drive after that, because there was only 3.50 min left on the clock, and lets just say the ball would have been on the 30y line. Packers would have eaten up that clock easily, and they would have scored one way or another, and we all know that. This way, he actually left his offense with a chance to do something..

Exactly what I was thinking. First off it would have been recovered if they had waited another second and let it bounce again, it was a perfect kick by Jeff Reed, the Steelers just got too eager. Second, we may have been mad about the call at the time, but looking back now it was the right call. Regardless of if they had got in the end zone, the Packers would have probably been able to eat up atleast a minute more clock had they gotten the ball farther down field, and we MAY HAVE gotten the ball with around 45 seconds left..that's if we would have gotten the ball back at all. Seeing as we scored with 0 seconds on the clock, less time would not have worked out well. Yeah, it does show Mike Tomlin's distrust of the defense but hey, it worked didn't it?

weidnerr
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I am having a real hard time believing we have to stoop to doing things that losers do! That was a horrible call and pretty much just trashed the whole defensive unit. Our D-Backs are at fault for this whole slump. How the hell do you Not bench William Gay???

North Steel
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I love the call,if they lost he took one for the team.it's funny just before the play i said to my kids "let's see another holmes catch" and bang there it is, nice throw and catch.:banana::clap::cope::tt02:

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Our defensive unit is close to worst in the league in the 4th quarter, especially in the last few minutes of the fourth quarter. Would you trust William Gay and Tyrone Carter to make a big play and give the ball back to the offense? I know I wouldn't. I would stand by my call if I were Tomlin.

Sir Blitzelot
12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
In my eyes, it was a gutsy call to try and catch the Packers off-guard, nothing more. Let's be honest, if the Steelers would have recovered the kick, we would all be praising Tomlin for a genius play call. :2cents:

LarryNJ
12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
1 - you have absolutely NO faith in your defense to stop them. Honestly, I can't fault him for that, our defense is a total trainwreck and our secondary should all be benched in favor of a boys club unit. They continue to give up HUGE plays, can't get off the field on 3rd down, and can't stop anybody once the opposing offense even starts to sniff the end zone.

2 - it also tells me that he is desperate beyond belief to get a win and he'll try absolutely anything to jump start this unit. They are at the lowest of the possible lowest low point you can get, being on a 5 game losing streak, so he figures at this point why not do something nobody is expecting.

I liked it. It obviously caught Packers off guard, and would have worked if Reed knew how to kick. Also, there are some things you have to consider:

1. The defense had not been able to stop Packers all day, at all....

:plus1:

I love the call.

If they weren't before Dick and his boys surely are now totally embarassed. Not only did their head coach slam them he slamed them in front of the entire world not behind closed doors. Right or wrong I believe this was Tomlins way of trying to wake them up, to hold them accountable for their actions. What was once the proudest unit in the NFL has turned into the biggest joke. We'll see next week if and how they respond to it.

jpele
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
When your special teams are among the worst in the league, who can you say this is a good call ?

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
The call wasn't about special teams, it was about defense. If you recover, great. If not, you'll probabaly get the ball back with enough time to respond to whatever the Packers do.

harpo
12-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I pretty much agree with those who thought it was a good call. Considering the fact that the defense was not playing well, and the Packers were NOT expecting the onside kick. Sure, it was risky but I'm sure that he thought of the possiblity of them not recovering the kick; that is, IF they don't recover, give the Packers a short field and if they score, there is a good chance there will be enough time left to win it on the last drive. Hey, it worked. I'll take it.

SteelCityKid5
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Big T took the words right out of my mouth. Amen. I like it, Tomlins not afraid. Also, those who say Tomlin has no faith in his defense? I dont understand. I think Tomlin has faith in his D, he has faith because he knows if he doesnt execute that, he has his defense. I dont think its about Tomlin not having faith in his D. I think it shows he has a lot of faith in his D. Either way, a win is a win is a win is a win.

Zachintosh66
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Horrible call! Both teams are in a shoot-out and you give them a short field and you have the lead! Incredibly horrid!

Some of you like the call but I ask this... If Wallace doesnt make the catch in the endzone and we lose the game... How many of you still would of liked the call? Not a one...

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Mike Wallace wouldn't even have gotten a chance if they hadn't gone with the onside kick.

aaronsmith91
12-20-2009, 10:40 PM
If we kicked it deep the packers would have drained the clock kicked a field goal or td, either way win the game. Think about it, the offense was playing well Ben at that point threw for like 450 yards, the worst that could happen from going for the onside kick was that the packers would get a six point lead and then give the offence some time to drive to win the game WHICH THEY DID. I don't see how this was a bad call. Tomlin knows how his defence was playing this year. IMO this was the call he had to make. Why not put the game in the hands of your 100 million dollar quarterback instead of your ****** fourth quarter defence

--- Added 12/20/2009 at 08:40 PM ---

Horrible call! Both teams are in a shoot-out and you give them a short field and you have the lead! Incredibly horrid!

Some of you like the call but I ask this... If Wallace doesnt make the catch in the endzone and we lose the game... How many of you still would of liked the call? Not a one...

do you think our defence would have stopped the packers at their twenty for 3:20 left in the game?

SteelCityKid5
12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

----------

The play was there plain and simple. Ike Taylor didnt execute the play. The word I have been using during the slump the Steelers had. I loved it. Tomlin proved he has balls.

Clevelandsux
12-20-2009, 10:41 PM
It was a stupid call. I can see where Tomlin was coming from. He figured our defense was gonna let them score anyway (we suck). Better to them them score quickly instead of letting them drive 80 yards. We were lucky we had the ball last or we would have lost.

LatrobePA
12-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Tomlin you risky bastard! It worked out in the end and we won! Pretty much saying, go ahead and score just leave my offense enough time to beat ya!

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
He was saying what we've been saying all along. As long as we have Gay, Carter, and co in our secondary, we need to win with offense.

LatrobePA
12-20-2009, 10:49 PM
He was saying what we've been saying all along. As long as we have Gay, Carter, and co in our secondary, we need to win with offense.

Gay was horrid today! Carter made one nice play that's it! Can we please get Troy back now, this Carter project is a wrap!

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Horrid today? He's been horrid ever since he stepped on the field. It's just been magnified with the loss of Polamalu.

LatrobePA
12-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Horrid today? He's been horrid ever since he stepped on the field. It's just been magnified with the loss of Polamalu.

I'd say he's been BAD, at least he could tackle somewhat. Today he couldn't do that, so HORRID!

Next week he'll be &^%$^&% awful!!

steelersbabex25
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Nahh he's definitely been one of the many contributions to the downfall of our team this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
It was a stupid call. I can see where Tomlin was coming from. He figured our defense was gonna let them score anyway (we suck). Better to them them score quickly instead of letting them drive 80 yards. We were lucky we had the ball last or we would have lost.

I can't remember what defensive player they were interviewing in the locker room on the post game show, but they admitted as much, flat out saying that yeah he doesn't confidence in us right now on defense, but who can blame him since we didn't stop anybody today. So yeah the defensive guys know it, they aren't stupid, they know they damn near cost us this game today and they shoulder the lion's share of the blame during this losing streak.

It is what it is, Tomlin outright denied it when confronted with that very question in his press conference. He said it wasn't about a lack of faith but rather a decision based on how the defense played to this point in this game only.

LatrobePA
12-20-2009, 11:46 PM
We won, I love the call! lol

We lose, Tomlin wouldn't of been unable to leave his house!!

Moondog
12-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I pretty much agree with those who thought it was a good call. Considering the fact that the defense was not playing well, and the Packers were NOT expecting the onside kick. Sure, it was risky but I'm sure that he thought of the possiblity of them not recovering the kick; that is, IF they don't recover, give the Packers a short field and if they score, there is a good chance there will be enough time left to win it on the last drive. Hey, it worked. I'll take it.

Exactly, it didn't bother me at all that he made the call, Tomlin thought about both sides of the coin and I can respect that, it took guts. I back him up. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 01:42 AM
I agree I loved the call and thought it was genius. Let's face it the way this defense has played this year and especially today they gave you no reason to believe they were going to stop the Packers whether they had to drive 37 yards or 75-80 yards. By doing this Tomlin saved just enough time on the clock to give the Steelers the ball back and put the ball in their best players hands to win the game which of course is Ben Roethlisberger...Had he kicked off Green Bay would have taken more time off the clock and Ben and the Steelers offense only having 1 timeout left would not have had enough time to drive down the field and get the game winning TD....

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-21-2009, 01:59 AM
It was a ballsy call for sure. If the ST execute it properly, why he would think the ST would do it right is the better question !! I mean think about it...we just scored to go up by 2 ,why not get the ball back into the hands of your offense? The packers couldn't stop our offense either...Nobody was expecting it ... all that had to be done was execute it right,which goes back to my first question... Why would he think out ST would get this one right, better yet why would ya be counting on Ike( hands of stone) to recover it??

K Train
12-21-2009, 02:36 AM
i think doing it and either letting them score with enough time for you to answer or getting it and ending the game was a good decision....if you cant stop a certain team on a certain day you know it. the call was justified....wtf, what did they have to lose? another game?

Iron City South
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Most of you that say "I loved the call" are only saying it because you got the desired outcome you were looking for.

Had we not had luck on our side last night and the outcome been different, you people would be calling for Tomlin's job right now so let's not bullshit each other.

steelersbabex25
12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I have never called for Tomlin's job, and I sure as hell wouldn't do it for that call. Who cares "if" it didn't work. It did..probably exactly how Tomlin expected it to.

BlackGold4vr
12-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Most of you that say "I loved the call" are only saying it because you got the desired outcome you were looking for.

Had we not had luck on our side last night and the outcome been different, you people would be calling for Tomlin's job right now so let's not bullshit each other.

I will admit that I hated the call and still think it was a bad call. But I also don't think the Steeler defense stops GB on that drive which if started futher back would have consumed all the remaining time. So Tomlin basically lucked into a favorable outcome on a bad call! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

LatrobePA
12-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I will admit that I hated the call and still think it was a bad call. But I also don't think the Steeler defense stops GB on that drive which if started futher back would have consumed all the remaining time. So Tomlin basically lucked into a favorable outcome on a bad call! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Well put! :yellowthumb:

harpo
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
How is it a "bad" call when it worked out the way he envisoned?

Whether they scored with 20 seconds left or 0 seconds left, it worked. Whether it was "luck" or "karma", it worked and that's the bottomline.

If Reed had kicked it deep and allowed the Pack to run it back for a score, people would be up in arms bitchin' about STs and calling for Tomlin's head.

He did the right thing, win or lose. Fortunately for Steeler fans (even those who don't agree with the call), we won, his plan worked......and that's the bottomline. :tt02:

JensK
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM

I don't agree. In fact, it was really pretty much the only logical call there was. Everyone knew that Packers was going to march down and score on us again - They had done that without any kind of trouble at all for 3 quarters. With 4 min left on the clock, they would have marched down the field, scored and left very little time for our offense to do something, an offense which had no trouble putting points on the board. Gutsy, sure, but it was the right call.

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't agree. In fact, it was really pretty much the only logical call there was. Everyone knew that Packers was going to march down and score on us again - They had done that without any kind of trouble at all for 3 quarters. With 4 min left on the clock, they would have marched down the field, scored and left very little time for our offense to do something, an offense which had no trouble putting points on the board. Gutsy, sure, but it was the right call.

Calling that call logical is illogical

JensK
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Calling that call logical is illogical

For what reason exactly?

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
For what reason exactly?

You're at home, it's the 4th quarter, and you have the lead. You just don't go for an onside kick. There is absolutely no logic to that. If the defense is supposedly THAT bad where you feel they have no chance at stopping the other team's offense so you rather go for an onside kick, hoping to keep your defense off the field or let the other team score quicker, giving your offense an opprotunity to close out the game, then that defense should not be in the game. It's as simple as that.

If they are seriously that bad where you can't afford to have them on the field, you need to cut whoever you feel is the biggest problem and replace them with whatever you can, because obviously it can't get any worse at that point. The man is incapable of making proper personnel changes and he's proved that since last year with Bruce Arian's and Willie Parker. It took an injury to Parker for Mendenhall to start getting the majority of the carries otherwise Tomlin would still have Parker rushing 20 times a game for 45-50 yards.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Crappy call because it didn't work, but the way the defense has been playing, can you really blame him for trying?

JensK
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
You're at home, it's the 4th quarter, and you have the lead. You just don't go for an onside kick. There is absolutely no logic to that. If the defense is supposedly THAT bad where you feel they have no chance at stopping the other team's offense so you rather go for an onside kick, hoping to keep your defense off the field or let the other team score quicker, giving your offense an opprotunity to close out the game, then that defense should not be in the game. It's as simple as that.

If they are seriously that bad where you can't afford to have them on the field, you need to cut whoever you feel is the biggest problem and replace them with whatever you can, because obviously it can't get any worse at that point. The man is incapable of making proper personnel changes and he's proved that since last year with Bruce Arian's and Willie Parker. It took an injury to Parker for Mendenhall to start getting the majority of the carries otherwise Tomlin would still have Parker rushing 20 times a game for 45-50 yards.

Thats not an argument for not calling it, thats just stating what we all have been stating: Our Defense is not good atm, and there are quite a few starters who should not start as it is right now But that it was it is, and under the circumstances you have to play with what you have - The defense could have been out of the game with same success as they had when they were on the field. And yes, the defense was THAT bad - they marched down on us for the entire second half, and we weren't close to make a play at one single point of that half.

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats not an argument for not calling it, thats just stating what we all have been stating: Our Defense is not good atm, and there are quite a few starters who should not start as it is right now But that it was it is, and under the circumstances you have to play with what you have - The defense could have been out of the game with same success as they had when they were on the field. And yes, the defense was THAT bad - they marched down on us for the entire second half, and we weren't close to make a play at one single point of that half.

The defense has been the same defense for the past several weeks. The defense was not different before kickoff against Green Bay then it was after kick off. So what you and everyone else is basically saying is that Tomlin knowingly took a defense into an NFL game that he felt was absolutely incapable of doing its job and so his gameplan was to try and use trickery to never let the other team's offense get the ball or just let the other team's offense score as quickly as possible so our offense would be able to answer back. If you go into a game with a particular defense then you need to allow them to at least TRY to do their jobs, especially when your at home, in the 4th quarter, and have the lead, otherwise they shouldn't even be on the field.

harpo
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
The defense has been the same defense for the past several weeks. The defense was not different before kickoff against Green Bay then it was after kick off. So what you and everyone else is basically saying is that Tomlin knowingly took a defense into an NFL game that he felt was absolutely incapable of doing its job and so his gameplan was to try and use trickery to never let the other team's offense get the ball or just let the other team's offense score as quickly as possible so our offense would be able to answer back. If you go into a game with a particular defense then you need to allow them to at least TRY to do their jobs, especially when your at home, in the 4th quarter, and have the lead, otherwise they shouldn't even be on the field.

The defense had their opportunity for the previous 5 weeks. They had the lead in the 4th QTR in at least 3 of those 5 games. All those games ended in losses.

What we need to understand is that our secondary is BAD, and that means whoever Tomlin puts in the game, whether it's Gay, Carter, DeShea, Burnett, etc., they're not going to stop speedy WRs all over the field because our secondary is not built for that. Why do you think they give up 8 - 12 yard cushions on the opposing WRs at the LOS? Our current secondary is just a "band-aid" to get us through this season and hopefully the playoffs. They've played more "bend-but-don't-break" defense this year than I can remember. I just hope that they can find a way to draft Eric Berry this offseaon.

Whether we agree with Tomlin's decision or not, it worked out in at least ONE of the TWO scenarios he envisioned. Call it luck, karma, or whatever you like....we won the game. That's all that matters. Next up, Baltimore.

Go Steelers..... :tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM

I agree with your assessment about how people would have been calling for Tomlin's head had the Steelers not won the game. But the bottom line is we will never know and wont have to worry about it because the Steelers did win the game and that's all that matters in the end. Did they barely win it and need the entire 60 minutes to do so?? Sure, but they barely also won the Super Bowl too last February and now the Steelers have 6 rings... It's so odd how so many things like this can be forgotten about or pushed under the rug when you win a football game...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I agree with your assessment about how people would have been calling for Tomlin's head had the Steelers not won the game. But the bottom line is we will never know and wont have to worry about it because the Steelers did win the game and that's all that matters in the end. Did they barely win it and need the entire 60 minutes to do so?? Sure, but they barely also won the Super Bowl too last February and now the Steelers have 6 rings... It's so odd how so many things like this can be forgotten about or pushed under the rug when you win a football game...

As soon as the onside kick happened I was screaming for Tomlin's head.....Then of course I was even more ticked when the Packers scored the go ahead TD....But you have to understand I watch the Steelers with a ton of emotion so I'm not always thinking with a clear head in the game......When I settled down and started to actually think clear I thought Tomlin called for an onside kick to save time for his offense if the Packers scored a field goal or TD......I think Tomlin made the right move and would have thought that today even if the Steelers had lost the game.....

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
The defense had their opportunity for the previous 5 weeks. They had the lead in the 4th QTR in at least 3 of those 5 games. All those games ended in losses.

As I made the point before, then that defense shouldn't have been in the game. There is no excuse going into an NFL game with a defense you blatantly do not trust and will not use. Using trickery to avoid using your defense is not a strategy, it's an incompetent, desperate reaction.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
As I made the point before, then that defense shouldn't have been in the game. There is no excuse going into an NFL game with a defense you blatantly do not trust and will not use. Using trickery to avoid using your defense is not a strategy, it's an incompetent, desperate reaction.

Well the definition of insanity they say is doing the samething over and over again and expecting different results. Tomlin went outside the box and decided to gamble and roll the dice and not put the game on his defenses shoulders for a change and the gamble paid off. Look there is no question this defense in particular this secondary is a complete abomination and absolutely horrific. So until this defense proves that it can actually finish a game or they get Troy back and that makes them a better defense Tomlin and the coaching staff have to make decisions with this defense and how to treat certain situations accordingly that give them the best chance to win. The decision Tomlin made yesterday was a bit risky but the bottom line is it worked and the Steelers won the game, kept their playoff hopes very much alive, and have a ton of momentum going into the Baltimore game this Sunday at Heinz Field...

steelersbabex25
12-21-2009, 11:51 PM

You're "the defense shouldn't have been in the game" comment is baffling me..I don't understand, Tomlins just supposed to not send a defense out? It's not like he's going to be able to resign an entirely new secondary in a matter of weeks. :thinking:. Regardless, yes, it was desperate. No, it wasn't incompetent. I don't think Tomlin just threw the decision up in the air, I doubt that he thought, "hmm..let me just try this onside kick and see what happens." He obviously realized that the defense had allowed the Packers to march down the field too many times during the game, and if they let them do it on the last drive it would be the last drive of the game...or have you not watched the last 2 minutes of every game that the Steelers have lost?

K Train
12-22-2009, 12:53 AM

yeah thats definitely not my mind set....but thanks for spewing garbage

Steel Trap86
12-22-2009, 01:03 AM
I questioned the call initially, but after I thought about it, I agree it was the right call. Our defense could not stop Rodgers all day and they knew and Tomlin knew it. Try the onside kick, if we recover then the game is done, if they get the ball all we can do is hope they score quick and leave enough time on the clock for Ben to put a drive together and that's what happened, it came down to 3 seconds left in the game, but we won and I'll take it.

harpo
12-22-2009, 04:03 AM

And as I made the point before, at the end of the day, his plan worked in at least ONE of the TWO scenarios he envisioned. Damn good strategy IMO. A win is a win.

:tt02:

greg1964
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Why is everyone "killing" Tomlin over this call: Do we need to recall how many times "THIS YEAR" our defense gave up late games score. Did we forget that the Steelers again have a 10 point forth quarter lead, and gave it up AGAIN: I'm sure Tomlin was thinking: if they do score, I would rather them score quickly (FG/TD) and give my 100 million dollar QB and chance to bring us back. Because he knew (Gay, Mundy, Clark, Burrnet, Taylor, can company) was not going to make a play on the back end.

Let face it: THIS YEAR Steelers defense CAN NOT hold a lead: (Bear, Bungles (1st meeting), Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders) are all games the Steelers have over and 10 lead in the forth quarter and lost the game: Chargers, Packers, Lions and Vikes are game the Steelers have a 10 lead in the forth quarter and won but the game was closer then should have been. The ONLY game the Steelers won going away was in Denver:

The last thing the Steelers needed was a FG in the closing seconds to being them too six "L" in a row: Think about it: HOW many of you have confidence that this year team was going to stop the Packer on a long field: and if you do, WHERE is your proof:

NYCsteelersfan
12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
You're "the defense shouldn't have been in the game" comment is baffling me..I don't understand, Tomlins just supposed to not send a defense out? It's not like he's going to be able to resign an entirely new secondary in a matter of weeks. :thinking:. Regardless, yes, it was desperate. No, it wasn't incompetent. I don't think Tomlin just threw the decision up in the air, I doubt that he thought, "hmm..let me just try this onside kick and see what happens." He obviously realized that the defense had allowed the Packers to march down the field too many times during the game, and if they let them do it on the last drive it would be the last drive of the game...or have you not watched the last 2 minutes of every game that the Steelers have lost?

It's called making personnel changes. One day when you watch this team with a real head coach again, you'll understand exactly what that is and how it works.

And as I made the point before, at the end of the day, his plan worked in at least ONE of the TWO scenarios he envisioned. Damn good strategy IMO. A win is a win.

:tt02:

You can survive for a few days by drinking your own ****, doesn't mean it's a good plan.

steelersbabex25
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
It's not like Tomlin has great safetys and cornerbacks sitting on the bench that he can make changes with..that's kind of the problem. Yeah he's just going to throw Mundy and Burnett and Townsend in there..I doubt they'd do a whole lot better. And now, because of this call, Tomlin isn't a, "real head coach?" I doubt you were thinking that when the Steelers were making their run at the superbowl last year. Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

cmerrifield
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I dont think it can be the worst ever because we still won. In my book, it has to lead to the loss for it to qualify for the worst ever. I thought it was a gutsy call. We were 1 yard from this being called "onside kick: Best Head Coaching Decision Ever?"

LatrobePA
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
"you play to win the game" and that's exactly what Tomlin did Sunday with that risky call!

NYCsteelersfan
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
It's not like Tomlin has great safetys and cornerbacks sitting on the bench that he can make changes with..that's kind of the problem. Yeah he's just going to throw Mundy and Burnett and Townsend in there..I doubt they'd do a whole lot better. And now, because of this call, Tomlin isn't a, "real head coach?" I doubt you were thinking that when the Steelers were making their run at the superbowl last year. Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

You doubting they would do any better doesn't actually mean they wouldn't do any better. And according to you and others this defense is absolutely useless and that's why Tomlin "had" to make that call. Well if the current defense is useless, what greater harm can personnel changes bring?

I've never liked Tomlin for your information and my post history will show you that, pre-superbowl or post-superbowl. He was hired based on the Steelers owner's rule and he won riding the coattails of the previous head coach.

"you play to win the game" and that's exactly what Tomlin did Sunday with that risky call!

Great quote, because Tomlin is as good as Herm Edwards was as a head coach. Tomlin just has the luxury of an elite QB, great WR's and an offensive and defensive system in place that only he could have ruined.

LatrobePA
12-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Kinda salty aren't you??

NYCsteelersfan
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Kinda salty aren't you??

lol...perhaps

LatrobePA
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
lol...perhaps

lol, you don't have to love him....:yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
You doubting they would do any better doesn't actually mean they wouldn't do any better. And according to you and others this defense is absolutely useless and that's why Tomlin "had" to make that call. Well if the current defense is useless, what greater harm can personnel changes bring?

I've never liked Tomlin for your information and my post history will show you that, pre-superbowl or post-superbowl. He was hired based on the Steelers owner's rule and he won riding the coattails of the previous head coach.

That's not just me doubting their abilities. I've seen all of them play and they aren't much better than the current secondary, a personnel change would be useless as well. Tomlin didn't "have" to make that call. He could have gone with a regular kickoff and seen what happened, but he decided to not take that chance. I stand by it, I'm sure he does too.

harpo
12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
You can survive for a few days by drinking your own ****, doesn't mean it's a good plan.

If it's the only alternative to keep me alive, it's a good plan. :imho:

LatrobePA
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I had to laugh in his PC today someone asked if he'd been questioned about the call, Tomlin said yes, my 8 year old asked why....Dad to son, be quiet! lol

Zachintosh66
12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on criticism of his onside kick call, "I don't look for feedback. I just try to win football games. My 8-year-old asked me what I was thinking. ... I told him to be quiet."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/23/wednesday-morning-one-liners-46/

:lol:

steelersbabex25
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
^^ hahahahahahaha. :)

TEEMONT
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM

I liked the call from the moment they did it. How many times have we seen this D just fold in the 4th quarter? Tomlin has every right to not believe his D can get it done in the 4th quarter. I mean lets be serious, was an onsides kick really that much worse than a Jeff Reed kickoff? Maybe what 20 yards total difference.

It was the right call, the Steelers obviously have a much better chance at winning the game, when they have the ball last. Tomlin wanted one of two things to happen: A. they get the onsides kick, B. the pack scores quick. The worst thing that could have happened would have been for GB to fin a way to milk another 2 minutes off of the clock and kick a field goal to win it.

Good call Tomlin, you put ur team in the best position to win the game. The D cannot be trusted at this point.

LatrobePA
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Last year wrong call, this year right call, face it our D is like swiss cheese!