PDA

View Full Version : Bengals WR Henry injured in domestic dispute *Updated* Passes Away

steelersgal86
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Cincinnati Bengals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/;_ylt=Ap1.QmdSWkMCf1mHYO__MRIdsLYF) receiver Chris Henry (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players;_ylt=AkAO6QoY6nZfbMh_0TLTTnIdsLYF?type=las tname&first=1&query=Chris+Henry&q=Chris+Henry) suffered serious injuries after falling out of the back of a pickup truck during a domestic dispute with his fiancee, police said Wednesday.
Henry was found in the road in south Charlotte “apparently suffering life-threatening injuries,” according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. Henry was transported to Carolinas Medical Center, the local trauma unit, but spokesman Scott White said he was not listed in hospital records and had no other information.

Police said a dispute began at a home just before noon and Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup truck as his unidentified fiancee was driving away from the residence.

“The domestic situation continued between the operator and Mr. Henry,” the police said in a statement. “At some point while she was driving, Mr. Henry came out of the back of the vehicle.”
Henry was found on a residential street about a half mile away from the home when police were called to the scene after a medic report that a man was down.
Henry’s agent, Kenneth Rush, did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages.
Henry broke his left forearm during a win over Baltimore on Nov. 8, had surgery and was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Charlotte is home to his fiancee’s parents, the Bengals said.
Team spokesman Jack Brennan said he had little information other than Henry was badly hurt.
“We are aware he was in an accident and that his injuries are very serious,” Brennan said. “We are obviously staying in touch with the situation and are ready to offer whatever assistance we can.”
Henry is in the final year of his contract with the Bengals, who let him go after his fifth arrest following the 2007 season. Owner Mike Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5068/;_ylt=ApE_DWfC6TWHwLxgbgQWAR4dsLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5068/news;_ylt=AqJ5tEEzBccIJP.9MtnykLEdsLYF) then brought him back a few months later, signing him to a two-year deal, and Henry had stayed out of trouble since his return.
A deep threat, he was fourth among Bengals receivers this season with 12 catches for 236 yards and two touchdowns at the time of his injury.
Associated Press Writer Dan Sewell in Cincinnati contributed to this report.

floodcitygirl
12-17-2009, 01:58 AM
I had not heard that he is on life support. Local radio here earlier this evening was reporting that homicide detectives were on the scene investigating. Bungal or not...very sad. Prayers for him and his family.

JensK
12-17-2009, 04:59 AM
That is horrible, but if that story is true, man its dumb. Best of luck to him though... I hope he'll make it, and be able to play football again.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Just got a text that Chris Henry passed away this morning from the injuries he sustained in this unfortunate incident. This is not about football anymore, it's about the unfortunate death of a human being.

It's just now hitting the news wire from AP; I saw it on Yahoo Sports now too.

floodcitygirl
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Just saw it on espn online too. How tragic.

Ibleedblk&gld
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
just saw it as well

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750615

ohiosteeler, show some class...

LatrobePA
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Just saw it on espn online too. How tragic.

RIP CH! What a shame 3 little kids at home with out a Dad this holiday season, my heart goes out to them and the family....

lloydfan4life
12-17-2009, 11:41 AM
How sad. :evilshake: What a terrible tragedy.
I know this happening is bad enough... but to happen so close to Christmas sucks.
My heart breaks for his children.

As far as Ohio's comments... we're all asking Ohio to show a little class, etc... how about if we do the same and show him a little mercy. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like Henry, simply because of his actions off the field. I would NEVER have wished this on him. I'm pretty certain that Ohio feels the same way because from what I know of him he's a pretty decent guy. I think he just spoke before really knowing the gravity of the situation. At least that's what I hope. I know when I first saw the headlines of the accident before I knew any of the details my first thought was 'Now there's a surprise... Henry's in trouble again'.

This is a horrible and senseless situation that his children must now live with.
RIP Chris Henry.

Ironman
12-17-2009, 11:45 AM
As far as Ohio's comments... we're all asking Ohio to show a little class, etc... how about if we do the same and show him a little mercy. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like Henry, simply because of his actions off the field. I would NEVER have wished this on him. I'm pretty certain that Ohio feels the same way because from what I know of him he's a pretty decent guy. I think he just spoke before really knowing the gravity of the situation. At least that's what I hope. I know when I first saw the headlines of the accident before I knew any of the details my first thought was 'Now there's a surprise... Henry's in trouble again'.

Well said :clap:

RIP Chris Henry, this will certainly spark a fire under the Cincy organization.

StlersGuy
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
How sad. :evilshake: What a terrible tragedy.
I know this happening is bad enough... but to happen so close to Christmas sucks.
My heart breaks for his children.

This is a horrible and senseless situation that his children must now live with.
RIP Chris Henry.

you are right Lloyd and the fact I was drunk did not help also.....:banging: RIP Chris

Edit TOP GUN: I cleaned up the previous comments to make this thread more appropriate to viewers.

steelersgal86
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
that is sooooo terrible...RIP ..... :pray: for his family

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-17-2009, 11:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750615 may he rest in peace.

TampaSteelGirl
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I feel bad that it seemed he was trying to get his life together and now this..I feel so bad for his family and especially his kids.. RIP Chris!!

Just so tragic for such a talented young man.

ejsteeler
12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Tragic and senseless loss. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Just got a text that Chris Henry passed away this morning from the injuries he sustained in this unfortunate incident. This is not about football anymore, it's about the unfortunate death of a human being.

It's just now hitting the news wire from AP; I saw it on Yahoo Sports now too.

Yea i got the same text, it's sad his life ended over a Domestic Dispute that could of been avoided.......IMO.

Big T
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Chris Henry passes away
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2009 10:29 AM ET

Charlotte police have confirmed that Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry died Thursday morning at 6:26 A.M.

Henry suffered injuries after he "came out" the back of a pickup truck following a domestic situation.* Henry was found roughly half a mile from the house where the dispute is believed to have started.

Henry was 26 years old.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is expected to speak to the media at 11 A.M. ET.

On Wednesday night, while the Bengals were praying for Henry's health, they reflected on his path.

"He's a big part of what we are," guard Andrew Whitworth said to the team's website.* "I really admire how he carries himself, how he's changed his life, and how he's made his career his passion. That's what this team has done. He's one of the guys that has helped give this team that attitude. We're worried about him and praying for him."

The Bengals sent their director of security Rusty Guy to Charlotte to assist the Henry family.* Guy was known as a big supporter of Henry and a reason the Bengals kept him in the franchise.

"A lot of teams would have just thrown him away," former teammate Willie Anderson said Wednesday night. "You can say a lot about the Bengals, positive and negative. But you have to commend what Mike Brown and the Bengals did for this kid. They believed in him and it turned out that's what he needed."

Henry was scheduled to be married in March.* He spoke with the Cincinnati Enquirer about his family and the changes in his life in a video interview in September.
Mike Brown said over the summer that one reason he agreed to tape Hard Knocks on HBO was to showcase players like Henry.

"Chris Henry is a good example. If you knew him only by hearsay you would think he is some kind of ogre," Brown said.. "It's not true. He's a good person. When you see him up close, you'll find that you'll like him. He'll be soft spoken and a pleasant person. People who understand him to be different (will) now know better."

Throughout all his off-field troubles, Henry's teammates often said similar things.* That he appeared to settled his life down makes Thursday's news all the more tragic.

We send the entire Henry family and the Bengals our condolences.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/chris-henry-passes-away/

Damn....RIP Slim

ejsteeler
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
not to be insensitive, but this thread does not belong here......

Big T
12-17-2009, 12:53 PM
not to be unsensitive, but this thread does not belong here......

But the other two do? The bengals are rivals of the steelers and this is big news...is it really that big of a deal?

ejsteeler
12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Not in this section. This is Steelers only talk. ONLY is in bold for a reason. There is a thread paying tribute in another section. Not trying to be a prick, just steering you to the right place, thats all.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
We already have this covered in the NFL section of the site.

Bucsfan4ever
12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Only 26...my prayers and thoughts to his family.

RIP, Chris.

Ambridge
12-17-2009, 02:08 PM
RIP Knucklehead.

Sad and tragic.

Prosdo
12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
As much as I hate the Bengals this is not the type of thing you want to hear. Its tragic to see someone with their whole life and career ahead of them take a few wrong turns and make a few mistakes they can't recover from. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his friends, and the Bengals organization.

PsychoWard
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Very tragic!! Rip Chris!

floodcitygirl
12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
This is being covered constantly here in Cincy today. Three children under the age of 4 without a Daddy. They are beginning to talk a little more around here about possible charges for their Mom too. Doesn't get much worse than that.

It seems that either it was self defense on her part because she feared for her safety or possibly man slaughter if she was driving recklessly in hopes of knocking him out. I wonder without witnesses to exactly what he was shouting anyone will ever really know? Either way, a horrible decision on his part to have ever gotten in the back of that truck, especially with a broken arm. Just tragic.

Oh, and in regards to Ohio's comments, it is easy as a Steeler fan living around this area to automatically respond negatively to all things Bungal. Initially I may have thought it was another case of a player getting himself in trouble with a usual outcome too.:2cents:

scott0326
12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Regardless of the team or if you like the player or not you never want to see something tragic like this. R.I.P Chris Henry.

Sir Blitzelot
12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I feel so sad for his young children, who now have to grow up without their father.

R.I.P. Chris Henry. :pray:

steelersbabex25
12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I watched OchoCincos interview about him, and it almost brought me to tears myself. RIP. Always sad to see a death like this.

Zachintosh66
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Details regarding Henry incident emerge

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 7:08 AM ET
In the aftermath of the passing of Bengals receiver Chris Henry, questions remain regarding the cause of his death.

What's known is that he fell out of the back of a moving pickup truck, which was driven by his fiance, Loleini Tongas. What isn't known is whether he jumped, whether he accidentally fell, or whether she affirmatively tried to eject him.

Carrie Whitaker of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that a witness heard Henry threaten to jump if Tongas didn't stop.

"He was banging on the top, on the doors, screaming at the lady, 'We need to talk,'" said Lee Hardy. "He said, 'If you take off, I'm going to jump off the truck and kill myself.'"

911 calls also have been released regarding the incident; one came from a woman who was driving behind the truck, and the other one came from a man who reported the presence of a man "laying in the road . . . he looks dead, there's no movement."

Whitaker also reports that police have concluded that Tongas immediately stopped the truck and rushed to assist Henry.

Meanwhile, the folks at TMZ.com, who have diverted a portion of the resources that have been focused on the three-week Tiger Woods watch, report that Henry and Tongas had met with a wedding planning company the day before the accident, and that he was "annoyed" and "aggravated" by the cost of planning the wedding. A representative of the company told TMZ that the couple "bickered" over the details, and that Henry eventually walked out.

They were due to be married on March 15.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/details-regarding-henry-incident-emerge/

LatrobePA
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Eye witness says Henry jumped to kill himself:

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/dpp/sports/nfl/chris_henry_witness_121709

Richmond Rukus
12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
This is truly tragic. If this is a case of suicide, that was a very selfish act with 3 little ones at home. Either way, RIP Chris. My prayers are with your family.

ejsteeler
12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Obviously, that hasn't been proved yet, but if it does and he committed suicide, I lose all sympathy for his dumb a$$.......

TEEMONT
12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
meh, I dont know how I feel about this yet.

It sucks that the dude had to die, and that his kids (were they all his? I thought I read somewhere that 1-2 werent his) are fatherless now. However, I'm going to hol dmy judgement on this until we find out why he was riding in the back of the truck.

Was his finace fleeing for her life? We know the guy has a history of losing his mind. If she was trying to get away from him b/c he was threatening her, then he got what he deserved to be honest.

Let's not canonize the guy until we find out what happened exactly. I didn thave anything good to say about the guy in life, so I don't really have anything good to say about him now (other than he seemed to be maturing finally).

This is a tragedy only b/c of those 3 kids. If not for that, I say Darwin award winner.