PDA

View Full Version : How would losing the salary cap affect the Steelers?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I can only postulate. I would think short term there would be no negative effects at all...in fact for the first 5 to 10 years it might help them. They'd be able to harness their massive revenues from merchandise sold throughout "Steeler Nation" to field a very high caliber team. Over time however I would think the loss of the cap would hurt teams in smaller media markets like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy, etc. I think the long-term loss of the cap is highly unlikely, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts from Steeler fans on how they think it would affect their team.

Moondog
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
It would probably not be good for the Steelers or the league, it would turn out to be the haves and have nots. There is less of a challenge to put together a good team when all you have to do is throw money at it. The cap makes it interesting and more of an overall challenge for the organization itself, it forces them to make tough decisions. That's why it's impressive when teams win consistently year in and year out in the salary cap era.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
It would probably not be good for the Steelers or the league, it would turn out to be the haves and have nots. There is less of a challenge to put together a good team when all you have to do is throw money at it. The cap makes it interesting and more of an overall challenge for the organization itself, it forces them to make tough decisions. That's why it's impressive when teams win consistently year in and year out in the salary cap era.

I agree, teams like the Giants, Redskins, Cowboys, and Bears would have an sizeable advantage. Historic franchises like the Packers and Steelers would have some issues...much the same way teams like the Royals, Pirates, Orioles, and Reds have.

ejsteeler
12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Yep. Teams like ours are good because players buy into the system, not the system buying them.....

Moondog
12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not an economist, but wouldn't this drive ticket and merchandise prices up to compensate for exuberant player salaries? It will become millionaires watching miliionaires play ball.

JensK
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I really don't think its going to be a long term deal... If so, the game of football is dead, and its just a given. If its just next year, its good because we'd be able to franchise Hampton without having to worry about the salery. From there on, we'd start to loose a step, because we don't have the same kind of economy other teams has.

jpele
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not an economist, but wouldn't this drive ticket and merchandise prices up to compensate for exuberant player salaries? It will become millionaires watching miliionaires play ball.

Here's what it did to MLB:

2010 New York Yankees Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Yankee Stadium in Bronx, NY $1800 - $63000

2010 Philadelphia Phillies Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA $1563 - $7999

2010 Milwaukee Brewers Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI $750 - $4900

Moondog
12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Here's what it did to MLB:

2010 New York Yankees Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Yankee Stadium in Bronx, NY $1800 - $63000

2010 Philadelphia Phillies Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA $1563 - $7999

2010 Milwaukee Brewers Tickets - Season Package (Includes Tickets for all Regular Season Home Games) Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI $750 - $4900

....Yikes

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2009, 03:36 PM
For the first couple years it won't be THAT much of a difference but if a deal doesn't get done, then after that it could get ugly. Pittsburgh is a small market team, regardless of how popular they are. So are teams like Cincy, Cleveland, KC, other old AFL teams where the revenue of the city sn't anywhere near that of a Dallas, Washington, or say Miami for example.

Ticket prices will go up, concession prices will go up, merchandise prices will go up, everything will increase to help pay for the players salaries that would sky rocket if we expect to stay competitive over the long haul.

coldrolled
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
You will end up with one team that buys the best.

Football would be over.

They already need to cap 1st year draft picks.

Small teams cant afford top 5 picks nowdays.
Like Detroit. Can they afford another top 3 pick this year?
Their town has 27% unemployment.

scott0326
12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think its good for the league, idiots like Jerry Jones will buy every player and the cowboys will turn in the Yankees of the NFL.

One for the thumb
12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
YOu would then as an owner be able to buy the superbowl.

Stlrs4Life
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
You will end up with one team that buys the best.

Football would be over.

They already need to cap 1st year draft picks.

Small teams cant afford top 5 picks nowdays.
Like Detroit. Can they afford another top 3 pick this year?
Their town has 27% unemployment.

Exactly. One reason i do not watch MLB.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Let's remember here too, that there are already teams that try to buy the Super Bowl right now and still can't do it. The Cowboys have tried since their success in the early 90's and can't, neither can the Redskins. Those teams spend money like it's going out of style. There will still be an art to building a championship caliber team, but it'll just be THAT much harder for small market teams to do it.

So yeah, the Jerry Jones & Daniel Snyders will be all over having an uncapped year so they can blow their entire team bank account on every player they want, and while it won't guarantee them automatic championships it sure will swing the pendulum in their favor way more than it should.

scott0326
12-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Let's remember here too, that there are already teams that try to buy the Super Bowl right now and still can't do it. The Cowboys have tried since their success in the early 90's and can't, neither can the Redskins. Those teams spend money like it's going out of style. There will still be an art to building a championship caliber team, but it'll just be THAT much harder for small market teams to do it.

So yeah, the Jerry Jones & Daniel Snyders will be all over having an uncapped year so they can blow their entire team bank account on every player they want, and while it won't guarantee them automatic championships it sure will swing the pendulum in their favor way more than it should.

While I mostly agree with you, I don't think the Snyder and Jones bidding wars over EVERY big name FA would be good for the NFL and who knows, maybe with how much money they offer, players might start to prefer to play in Dallas or DC. I certainly would NOT want that.

steelers4life66
12-17-2009, 10:44 PM

I agree. The caps acts like the restricter plates in nascar. Keeps things fair 4 everyone.

SteelerSteve
12-18-2009, 01:24 AM
I dont like it.....I would like to see free agency done away with though....