PDA

View Full Version : Here's the problem:

LatrobePA
12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
• The Steelers returned to work Monday following a three-day break, but the locker room wasn't exactly upbeat. "Everybody's miserable around here," starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu said. "We just need a win."

3 day break??? For what??? get their asses back to work ASAP!

Camp cupcake hard at work!

Big T
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
It's because of the Thursday night game...every team does it...you are making a big deal out of nothing.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I always found it difficult to be "downbeat" when the coach had me running suicides and working my butt off. Perhaps some rigorous workouts would take their minds off things.

SteelCityKid5
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
3 day break because they played on Thursday. Like Big T said, you're trying to make something out of nothing. Plus, they usually don't come into work on a Monday. But, Tomlin made them show up which kinda defeats your whole "camp cupcake" reference.

LatrobePA
12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Nah, I actually support Tomlin, but the cupcake break is over, it's time to figure this **** out, not laying on the sofa watching other teams beat the hell out of the bottom feeders we've gotten beat by....

Yea your right, coming in for a meeting is tough on them!

Less talk and more action!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
yeah the whole 3 day break thing, no big deal to me either. Perhaps just give them 2 days off maybe, but either way no biggie IMO. Honestly though, what's wrong with this team is a multitude of things as we all know. Perhaps a win will cure what ails us and perhaps it just bandaid the season, but regardless this team needs a win in the worse way. The fact that we've lost to so many teams we should have beaten is the most disturbing. It's one thing to lose to playoff caliber teams like the colts or saints, but to lose to a bunch of teams with worse records than us is a hard pill to swallow.

LatrobePA
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I guess your right about the 3 day break, I'm sure I took it wrong. But for a team with the longest losing streak this season 10 months after winning the SB it doesn't sit well!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh trust me I totally agree, anything short of working these guys to the bone doesn't sit well with me either..lol. It's hard to say what will be the deciding factor that fixes this team for the rest of 2009, if it actually happens at all this year. Tomlin said today on Sirius that he's disappointed in how this team has responded and that he's concerned that the message he's trying to get through to these guys hasn't worked since they continue to struggle. He should be concerened, it's obvious the team isn't on the same page right now and they have no faith in one another to make the plays nor do they have faith in the coaches, so they go out and press trying to do too much and then fail miserably.

When this team is at it's best they are each doing their own job and not worrying about what the guy beside them is doing. The front 7 is getting pressure, the DB's are covering, the linebackers are tackling and beating their blocks, etc., it all goes hand in hand. Where this all fell apart this year is really anybody's guess, I don't think you can pin point 1 particular game or situation.

Tomlin also said that guys need to be held accountable, including coaches, which is obvious to say the least. What that means in terms of any more changes is anybody's guess.

coldrolled
12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Where this all fell apart this year is really anybody's guess, I don't think you can pin point 1 particular game or situation.

Tomlin also said that guys need to be held accountable, including coaches, which is obvious to say the least. What that means in terms of any more changes is anybody's guess.

Big problem i heard from the conference is that no one in the media anywhere in that room was asking any hard questions about all the bad play calling... they mentioned the first and second series and the 3rd and short in the cleveland game... tomlin blamed 3 players for the sack..

noone asked him why there wasnt a running back on the field?? no one makes him speak of any of this... noone asked why after 2 runs for nine yards we dont have a fullback and running back in the backfield?

noone asked why we run a QB with a concussion on a similar series last week. where was the fullback and running back.

noone asked why we passed 40+ times to 18-20 runs against cleveland in the wind, against the worst run defense in the nfl.

noone is putting any pressure on tomlin about Arians in the pitt media. We will have BA for another year the way it sounded today.....

wow... thats cupcake...

LatrobePA
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Big problem i heard from the conference is that no one in the media anywhere in that room was asking any hard questions about all the bad play calling... they mentioned the first and second series and the 3rd and short in the cleveland game... tomlin blamed 3 players for the sack..

noone asked him why there wasnt a running back on the field?? no one makes him speak of any of this... noone asked why after 2 runs for nine yards we dont have a fullback and running back in the backfield?

noone asked why we run a QB with a concussion on a similar series last week. where was the fullback and running back.

noone asked why we passed 40+ times to 18-20 runs against cleveland in the wind, against the worst run defense in the nfl.

noone is putting any pressure on tomlin about Arians in the pitt media. We will have BA for another year the way it sounded today.....

wow... thats cupcake...

Cupcake as it gets! If BA is back next year I hope it is just to polish the trophy's!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
They don't ask because they know Tomlin isn't going to give them a straight answer. He's not going throw his players or coaches under the bus for all the media to scrutinize and criticize 9 ways to Sunday. That's not good politics for a team and it's not how you handle yourself. The most he would say is that we felt in this or that situation the play we called would be successful :blah:

No coach every answers questions like that to the media, so most times nobody brings them up. If they do get asked the coach will usually chastise them for asking something of that nature or just say no comment.

coldrolled
12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
They don't ask because they know Tomlin isn't going to give them a straight answer. He's not going throw his players or coaches under the bus for all the media to scrutinize and criticize 9 ways to Sunday. That's not good politics for a team and it's not how you handle yourself. The most he would say is that we felt in this or that situation the play we called would be successful :blah:

No coach every answers questions like that to the media, so most times nobody brings them up. If they do get asked the coach will usually chastise them for asking something of that nature or just say no comment.

well he threw three players under the bus on the 3rd and 1

ward, miller and hartwig

--- Added 12/15/2009 at 03:21 PM ---

plus what irks me is that in redskin town they laid down the hammer and that quite offense has now scored 88 points in three games. be nice if we could do that for the last three games. we are talking the same QB with the same offense no other changes oh, they lost portis, just better play calling now in washington...

sometimes people need their tail kicked.

Steelhead4life
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
• The Steelers returned to work Monday following a three-day break, but the locker room wasn't exactly upbeat. "Everybody's miserable around here," starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu said. "We just need a win."

3 day break??? For what??? get their asses back to work ASAP!

Camp cupcake hard at work!
I'm with you. Tomlin needs to put a fire to their *** Cowher style!!

Ambridge
12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here.

Three days off?? Why??
Tomlin needs to regain control of this team and the sooner the better.
He could have drew the line in the sand and said this garbage is going to stop right here and now and told them "Be here for practice Saturday afternoon"!!
These "Bums" don't deserve anything more than one day off after a game and quite frankly this should have been implemented several games back........and let them know it stays that way for the rest of the season!!

This team has grown SOFT before our eyes and needs a Huge Kick in the ***.
No more Coddleing....no more "Mr. Niceguy"!!
I'd make this bunch very Uncomfortable/Miserable for the rest of the season and let them know now that they can expect more of the same come Training Camp.

LatrobePA
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Three days off?? Why??
He could have drew the line in the sand and said this garbage is going to stop right here and now and told them "Be here for practice Saturday afternoon"!!
These "Bums" don't deserve anything more than one day off after a game and quite frankly this should have been implemented several games back........and let them know it stays that way for the rest of the season!!

I'd make this bunch very Uncomfortable/Miserable for the rest of the season and let them know now that they can expect more of the same come Training Camp.

I like it!

Blazedby92
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/14/steelers-in-midst-of-super-collapse

"Last year, the defense played out of its mind," added the evaluator. "It helped cover up a lot of deficiencies offensively. But Pittsburgh has never been a very good team (when playing) from behind. The offensive line began to fall apart when (OL coach) Russ Grimm left (for Arizona, when Tomlin was hired three years ago). Roethlisberger has taken a lot of hits. (C Justin) Hartwig nearly cost them the Super Bowl last year, but they did not upgrade the position.

"When you used to think of Steelers football, you would think of its power running game. No more. This collection of (offensive) linemen is soft. (OLG) Chris Kemoeatu is the only guy on the line with knock-you-off-the-ball ability. I don't like the group's makeup.

"(Former first-round RB) Rashard Mendenhall has come around, but you saw it Thursday night in the middle of the field with no one around," the evaluator continued. "He heard footsteps, tried to run before he caught it and dropped it cleanly when he could have easily picked up a first down. His toughness was a big issue in college, and I don't think it has changed one bit. He is still running scared."

LatrobePA
12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/14/steelers-in-midst-of-super-collapse

"Last year, the defense played out of its mind," added the evaluator. "It helped cover up a lot of deficiencies offensively. But Pittsburgh has never been a very good team (when playing) from behind. The offensive line began to fall apart when (OL coach) Russ Grimm left (for Arizona, when Tomlin was hired three years ago). Roethlisberger has taken a lot of hits. (C Justin) Hartwig nearly cost them the Super Bowl last year, but they did not upgrade the position.

"When you used to think of Steelers football, you would think of its power running game. No more. This collection of (offensive) linemen is soft. (OLG) Chris Kemoeatu is the only guy on the line with knock-you-off-the-ball ability. I don't like the group's makeup.

"(Former first-round RB) Rashard Mendenhall has come around, but you saw it Thursday night in the middle of the field with no one around," the evaluator continued. "He heard footsteps, tried to run before he caught it and dropped it cleanly when he could have easily picked up a first down. His toughness was a big issue in college, and I don't think it has changed one bit. He is still running scared."

Wow, no sugar coating here!

ejsteeler
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
yeah, hard to argue with it too.....

LatrobePA
12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I found another problem, lack of focus (I'll get flamed)!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqM9VEQ-Bo

Zachintosh66
12-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Three days off?? Why??

But in the same breath weve been beat up and hurt all year... making them work harder at the end of a disappointing season could do more harm than good.

--- Added 12/16/2009 at 03:38 PM ---

I found another problem, lack of focus (I'll get flamed)!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqM9VEQ-Bo

Yeah i hear ya but this wasnt the start of things... but having that girl fix his TV might have been :lol:

LatrobePA
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
But in the same breath weve been beat up and hurt all year... making them work harder at the end of a disappointing season could do more harm than good.

--- Added 12/16/2009 at 03:38 PM ---

Yeah i hear ya but this wasnt the start of things... but having that girl fix his TV might have been :lol:

LOL, f'n TV, he has enough money should of went and bought a new one then we'd be winning the SB this year too! j/k lol

Ambridge
12-16-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm not saying have the team go out and have full speed-pads on practice. Just some light drills and assignment oriented practices.
The point to be made would be No More Rewards (Days Off) for Sub-standard and flat out Unacceptable play on Gameday.

Sounds like Tomlin made the huge mistake of trusting these players too much and "Took his Foot off of the Gas pedal".