PDA

View Full Version : Top three picks for the Steelers Draft 2010

playboy pryor
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Steelers need to draft a FS, OT, SS, DT, FB, and a K. what should our 1st three picks be?

1.DT

2.FS

3.????? ( not sure )

JensK
12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Go to the War forum, that is where we discuss draft :)

Zachintosh66
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
OL...

Big T
12-14-2009, 04:14 PM
It all depends on who is there when they pick(unless they trade up)...can't reach for guys..

darnik44
12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
First of all you need to realize the Steelers would never enter the draft with a plan like that. It's not about filling certain positions in a certain order. They will draft the best available position that fits a need. That means each position you mentioned is in play in the 1st round, and then adjusted accordingly throughout the rest of the rounds. Maybe in the last two rounds they would limit themselves to a certain position, but not early on.

If you had a Cadillac Escalade and somebody offered you (for free) either another Caddillac Escalade or a Chevy Cobalt, would you take the Cobalt because you didn't "need" an Escalade? The draft is like this, it's about value and getting the best value each round.

Zachintosh66
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
i agree 100%... i wish lots more people would realize this

Alot of times i think the word "mock draft" isnt the correct term... its more like "draft radar"

JensK
12-15-2009, 07:40 AM
First of all you need to realize the Steelers would never enter the draft with a plan like that. It's not about filling certain positions in a certain order. They will draft the best available position that fits a need. That means each position you mentioned is in play in the 1st round, and then adjusted accordingly throughout the rest of the rounds. Maybe in the last two rounds they would limit themselves to a certain position, but not early on.

If you had a Cadillac Escalade and somebody offered you (for free) either another Caddillac Escalade or a Chevy Cobalt, would you take the Cobalt because you didn't "need" an Escalade? The draft is like this, it's about value and getting the best value each round.

Very true, but we have seen Steelers move up and go for a quality player before, last time they did was Polamalu i believe? They wanted to do so this year too to get Oher (or at least thats what the rumors say). So if they feel like OL is their biggest need, they could be tempted to move up for one you'd think.

cmerrifield
12-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Very true, but we have seen Steelers move up and go for a quality player before, last time they did was Polamalu i believe? They wanted to do so this year too to get Oher (or at least thats what the rumors say). So if they feel like OL is their biggest need, they could be tempted to move up for one you'd think.

The last time they did that was Holmes, but I dont see them moving up for anyone because of cap issues. I know there is no cap this next years, but that doesnt mean their will never be a cap again, the owners have said they will never sign a labor deal without a cap. In fact, I am guessing we are headed towards a lockout.

Callax
02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
If Pitt re-sign Hampton, then the need for a DT goes down, but they will need to groom a starter within the next 2-3 years. Still need starter FS or a good backup for Troy..

I say:

1) SS/CB

2) OL

3) DT

Big T
02-08-2010, 12:30 AM
If Pitt re-sign Hampton, then the need for a DT goes down, but they will need to groom a starter within the next 2-3 years. Still need starter FS or a good backup for Troy..

I say:

1) SS/CB

2) OL

3) DT

so if Rolando McClain is there you would rather reach for a second round CB/S?

You can't go into a draft like that and the steelers won't...it's beyond stupid

andyg1984
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
really cool analogies with the escalade concept and the term "draft radar" .. i will proably borrow those ..

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2010, 12:39 PM
There is no arguing that the Steelers will take a "best available" approach to this years draft. But there are certain positions that you can rule out such as QB, and probably RB, and WR. Those are not positions of immediate needs. I don't doubt that they address RB or WR in this draft but not in the first two rounds. The O-line and the secondary are the two biggest areas of concern. Followed by depth at linebacker.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I always preach value when it comes to the draft and I hate when the team reaches.....That is why I was so against the drafting of Lawrence Timmons at first..........I thought the Steelers could have traded down from 15 and still drafted at him 20-22.....Of course you need another team to make a trade but I thought at the time and still the better move would have been to trade down....Same with last year with Hood......

I always like best player available over need to.........I'm still bothered by the Troy Edwards reach back in 1999.....lol

K Train
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
always best player available....maybe it happens to be a huge need but if the best player available is CJ spiller or dez bryant then so be it

JensK
02-08-2010, 01:45 PM
You could argue that CJ could fill a need if/when Parker leaves. Mendenhall cant do it all alone. I know its not the biggest need there is, but still somewhat of a need.

Big T
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I've said it all along, if spiller or Bryant fall to 18 don't be suprised if either one is the pick...

You all know the man-crush I have on spiller...player like him just don't come around every year....and Dez Bryant may be to valuable to pass up (depending on who else is there)

I'd still like to see Rolando McClain fall to around 10 and the steelers show some balls and trade up...Timmons and McClain in the middle would be sick and they would complement eachother perfectly....the great cover guy and blitzer along with the thumper....

JollyRob68
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
RD 1 EARL THOMAS,JARED ODRICK, MIKE IUPATI,MAURKICE POUNCE
RD 2 MAURKICE POUNCEY,MYRON ROLLE, JON ASAMOAH
RD 3 TOBY GEARHEART,JORDAN SHIPLEY,KAM CHANCELLOR

It all depends on who's there at 18. Chances are that Thomas,Mays, Bulaga,Mc Clain & possibly Iupati will be gone. If The Steelers are going to get back to Running the ball at will then they need to shore up the weak spot in the line and thats Center & Right Guard. You need a beast in the middle to plow over people. Being realistic we know that they are going to resign Willie Colon and Foster did a good job at right guard. Drafting Maurkice Pouncey gives them their future center and improves the line.
However if Mike Iupati is there they can draft him and get a center in the 3rd round.The only Tackles I'd want in the first round is Bryan Bulaga or Anthony Davis. I'd rather have the #1 Guard or #1 Center than the 4 or 5th best Tackle.

I do feel that drafting Earl Thomas or Jared Odrick in the first will set off a great draft. They can then get a OL/OC in the second and DB/RB/WR IN THE 3RD.

JensK
02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Myron Rolle in the second is a bit of a reach right now... After the senior bowl, i dont like iupati at 18 either.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
always best player available....maybe it happens to be a huge need but if the best player available is CJ spiller or dez bryant then so be it

Spiller would be great in a Steelers uniform....I don't see happening Ktrain....I don't think Spiller even makes it to 18....I could see the 49ers drafting him to team with Frank Gore especially since they have two first round picks.....49ers need some explosion on offense and Spiller would give them that......

Never really thought about Bryant as a Steeler....You think he would be there at 18?.......

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
theres no calvin johnsons this year.....5 Wrs could go in the first or 2, theres no top 5 locks even though benn might make a top 15 case

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
theres no calvin johnsons this year.....5 Wrs could go in the first or 2, theres no top 5 locks even though benn might make a top 15 case

No Calvin Johnson's for sure....I don't see a WR sniffing the top 5....But I could see Bryant going in the top 15.....After him I wouldn't want the Steelers to even consider a WR in the first........

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
if somehow lafell is at 50 ill take that all day, i still have faith in sweed but hes breaking my heart and lafell would be a little backup to the sweed experiement

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 05:52 PM
if somehow lafell is at 50 ill take that all day, i still have faith in sweed but hes breaking my heart and lafell would be a little backup to the sweed experiement

Adding a WR always should be in the plans....You can never have enough weapons.......I just don't really like this years class of top WR's......I think the Steelers could tap the Ole Miss well again with Shay Hodge........

Sweed is going to turn the corner this year....I feel it.......

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
i love bryant, tate, lafell, williams and gilyard....not to thrilled about benn or thomas

next years class is legendary with green, jones and floyd though

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 06:05 PM
i love bryant, tate, lafell, williams and gilyard....not to thrilled about benn or thomas

next years class is legendary with green, jones and floyd though

Golden Tate is my boy...I hate Notre Dame but love Tate.....I wouldn't want the Steelers to take him at 18 though......I don't see him falling to late in the 2nd round....I think Tate might go late first....Early second for sure......

I want nothing to do with Benn....I'm just not that impressed....He is one hell of an athlete but he is the classic Al Davis type pick.......

JollyRob68
02-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Myron Rolle in the second is a bit of a reach right now... After the senior bowl, i dont like iupati at 18 either.

HE's going to move up. I think he's going to New England in the second. They have 3 picks and Bill B wants/needs a smart player.
The Steelers might reach because with him being a Rhodes Scholar he shouldn't have an issue picking up LeBeau's complex scheme and playing as a rookie.

Iupati is still a Beast and having him in the middle with hopefully a new center and Chris k should move those chains.I know what you mean he didn't have a great game but he was dominant throughout the week. He also still learning and with a new o line coach he could be the next Alan Faneca.

JensK
02-09-2010, 04:56 AM
HE's going to move up. I think he's going to New England in the second. They have 3 picks and Bill B wants/needs a smart player.
The Steelers might reach because with him being a Rhodes Scholar he shouldn't have an issue picking up LeBeau's complex scheme and playing as a rookie.

Iupati is still a Beast and having him in the middle with hopefully a new center and Chris k should move those chains.I know what you mean he didn't have a great game but he was dominant throughout the week. He also still learning and with a new o line coach he could be the next Alan Faneca.

he will move up, sure, but i don't think he'll move that far up. He did not play a single game last year as you probably know, and that will hurt his stock. He is most likely not able to show enough at the combine to make up for a whole year of absence. There are so many good safeties in this class.

Iupati did have a good practice week, but that does not change the matter of fact that while its okay that he is big and strong, his technique is bad, and we have around 5 of those linemen already.

andyg1984
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
limas sweed is a homeless mans version of braylon edwards and needs to be replaced ...

if he ever does anything in the NFL, which he is capable of doing, it will not be in Pitt .. it is psychological, but it also does not help that he sux ...

we obviously have 3 solid WR's, but we need 4 .. i like andre roberts - his stock certainly climbed at the senior bowl, but it is justified imo ..

forget Myron Rolle - way too soft and lacks ballhawking capability -- what is it that he is good at?

coldrolled
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
limas sweed is a homeless mans version of braylon edwards and needs to be replaced ...

if he ever does anything in the NFL, which he is capable of doing, it will not be in Pitt .. it is psychological, but it also does not help that he sux ...

we obviously have 3 solid WR's, but we need 4 .. i like andre roberts - his stock certainly climbed at the senior bowl, but it is justified imo ..

forget Myron Rolle - way too soft and lacks ballhawking capability -- what is it that he is good at?

We need a CB, S, FS or Center at the #1 and #2 pick

the steelers signed one WR today and a Punter..........

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced the signing of a pair of free agents to their 2010 off-season roster.

Signed today were punter Adam Graessle, who spent last off-season with the Green Bay Packers and punted for the California Redwoods of the UFL, and wide receiver Brandon London, who had three receptions for 30 yards in 14 games for the Miami Dolphins in 2008.

SteelerNut4000
03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
i would love to see the steelers try and get kyle wilson or taylor mays if he is still there. Also, L.T. if you somehow see this.....COME TO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!

steelerfan11
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
taylor mays if he is still there. Also, L.T. if you somehow see this.....COME TO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!

:banging:

K Train
03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
i would love to see the steelers try and get kyle wilson or taylor mays if he is still there. Also, L.T. if you somehow see this.....COME TO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!

1 post in and i hate you already

tburg68
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM

You can never tell what you really think about things. Please clarify yourself.

K Train
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
mays is terrible....absolutely ****ing awful. i cant handle a evander hood followup with taylor mays....ill call for tomlins head, he would have lost me completely

and LT is old and dying, he would do nothing for us

steelerfan11
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM

:clap:

thats all I have to say...

I agree with K on this topic!

Zachintosh66
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
With our sorry-a$$ secondary now on the brink of being disassembled... do we go Thomas (Mays), then best OL in second, then BA CB #3?

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Deion Sanders on Taylor Mays at the combine, "We knew he could run but he plays like a dog!" I would seriously question the intelligence of our front office if they picked a player who looks good, runs fast, but can't play football. Don't they say that 90% of teams evaluations comes from game tape? Then that should rule out Mays from the discussion. Let him look good and play bad on someone elses team! :yesnod:

Zachintosh66
03-05-2010, 12:50 PM
i know i know... i only said mays in ( ) b/c we have Mundy... Im assuming Mays is better than Mundy :)

JollyRob68
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
We need DB help
1 IUPATI,POUNCEY,ODRICK,THOMAS OR MCCLAIN
2 DB
3LB OR TOBY G

coach
03-06-2010, 03:54 PM
:banging:

There are a lot of ways to look at this:

1. Left Tackle
2. LT can come to Pittsburgh with his new team. We always played the Chargers well when he and they visited us.

Zachintosh66
03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
We need DB help
1 IUPATI,POUNCEY,ODRICK,THOMAS OR MCCLAIN
2 DB
3LB OR TOBY G

I would throw up if we took Pouncey in the first... but that just :imho:

I Agree 100% w/ Thomas, Iupati or BB and i keep thinking "what if" McClain is still on the board. I like Odrick but think OL and Secondary trump him.

Round 2/3: Price (may be gone), Cam Thomas, Spikes (may be gone). Several Good CB's and S's should still be there.

andyg1984
03-06-2010, 09:18 PM
thomas will not be around at 18 nor will any left tackles imo .. most of our likely target players seem to be a little ahead (thomas, mclain) or behind (pouncey, spikes) pick 18 ...

typically you want to trade up imo but this draft is kind of deep so it is a tough call ..

JollyRob68
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I would throw up if we took Pouncey in the first... but that just :imho:

I Agree 100% w/ Thomas, Iupati or BB and i keep thinking "what if" McClain is still on the board. I like Odrick but think OL and Secondary trump him.

Round 2/3: Price (may be gone), Cam Thomas, Spikes (may be gone). Several Good CB's and S's should still be there.

Pouncey is the #1 Center and #2 guard. Center is our weakest spot on the line. I'd Be very happy then we can focus on Defense unless we lose Colon.
The Steelers Defense starts with the front 7 and ODrick would contribute this year as would McClain or Weaterspoon.

igor0190
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
The Steelers better be seriously considering trading up to get someone who can be an immediate contributor. I want to see us get Bulaga, and move Colon to G. If none of the tackles fall, and Thomas isn't there, move down and get Pouncey later in the first. One top round talent on our OLine would go a long way. Improving the run game and the secondary HAVE to be priorities for the Steelers. I don't want to see us just settle at 18 and pick "the best player".... even if Mcclain is there.

Zachintosh66
03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Pouncey is the #1 Center and #2 guard. Center is our weakest spot on the line. I'd Be very happy then we can focus on Defense unless we lose Colon.
The Steelers Defense starts with the front 7 and ODrick would contribute this year as would McClain or Weaterspoon.

Yeah but at his best Pouncey is a second round pick not a mid first... alot better quality will be on the board than him

JollyRob68
03-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah but at his best Pouncey is a second round pick not a mid first... alot better quality will be on the board than him

Pouncey is graded at 18 on Mel Kipers big Board. He's a 1st round talent.

coldrolled
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
There are a lot of ways to look at this:

1. Left Tackle
2. LT can come to Pittsburgh with his new team. We always played the Chargers well when he and they visited us.

Third or 4th round

Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
by Ed Valentine on Feb 22, 2010 11:00 AM EST in 2010 NFL Draft 39 comments

[Remember to check the '2010 NFL Draft' section for all stories relating to the draft.]

Every year there are a few players who come to the NFL from tiny, mostly unheard of places you would never expect. Jared Veldheer of Division II Hillsdale College is one such player.

Veldheer is a 6-foot-7, 325-pound mountain of a man who was the best offensive tackle in DII this season, and could be one of the best tackles in the 2010 NFL Draft class.

He is also the subject of today's Daily NFL Draft Prospect Profile.

Despite Veldheer's lack of exposure to elite competition, scouts are wowed by his physical skills and his potential. Right now I have seen projections that have Veldheer being chosen anywhere from the second to the fifth round. He will be one of the most intriguing players to watch at the Scouting Combine, and one of the players who could help or hurt himself the most.

Let's take a closer look.

Jared Veldheer Scouting Reports
From the National Football Post.

Veldheer is a physical freak at the position who’s going to run extremely well at this year’s combine and has the athletic skill set to match even the top prospects in the draft. He does have a bit of a learning curve and struggled at times vs. the jump in competition at this year's Texas vs. the Nation game. Overall, however, he’s a gifted kid with long arms, good natural strength for his size and has the upside to play on the left side in the NFL.

JollyRob68
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Third or 4th round

Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
by Ed Valentine on Feb 22, 2010 11:00 AM EST in 2010 NFL Draft 39 comments

[Remember to check the '2010 NFL Draft' section for all stories relating to the draft.]

Every year there are a few players who come to the NFL from tiny, mostly unheard of places you would never expect. Jared Veldheer of Division II Hillsdale College is one such player.

Veldheer is a 6-foot-7, 325-pound mountain of a man who was the best offensive tackle in DII this season, and could be one of the best tackles in the 2010 NFL Draft class.

He is also the subject of today's Daily NFL Draft Prospect Profile.

Despite Veldheer's lack of exposure to elite competition, scouts are wowed by his physical skills and his potential. Right now I have seen projections that have Veldheer being chosen anywhere from the second to the fifth round. He will be one of the most intriguing players to watch at the Scouting Combine, and one of the players who could help or hurt himself the most.

Let's take a closer look.

Jared Veldheer Scouting Reports
From the National Football Post.

Veldheer is a physical freak at the position who’s going to run extremely well at this year’s combine and has the athletic skill set to match even the top prospects in the draft. He does have a bit of a learning curve and struggled at times vs. the jump in competition at this year's Texas vs. the Nation game. Overall, however, he’s a gifted kid with long arms, good natural strength for his size and has the upside to play on the left side in the NFL.
I love this guy but He will be gone in the 2nd. Most likely by New England but if he's there in the 3rd or we pick up an additional 2nd rounder take him.
What about making a trade with the ravens for gaither and giving up a round 2 or giving them Spaeth and a 3rd? They need a TE.

tburg68
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
What about making a trade with the ravens for gaither and giving up a round 2 or giving them Spaeth and a 3rd? They need a TE.

LOL. Why don't we just trade them Starks for Michael Oher while we are at it.

JollyRob68
03-15-2010, 02:07 AM
LOL. Why don't we just trade them Starks for Michael Oher while we are at it.

If you noticed lately there have been a lot of trades so anything is possible. However,After reading that Colon was actually our best lineman why not Dangle Starks for a 2nd or see if Seattle or San fran will give up a 1st for him.
Keep Colon and Trade Starks,Draft Pouncey and pick up Jared Veldheer in the second.

tburg68
03-15-2010, 02:12 PM
If you noticed lately there have been a lot of trades so anything is possible. However,After reading that Colon was actually our best lineman why not Dangle Starks for a 2nd or see if Seattle or San fran will give up a 1st for him.
Keep Colon and Trade Starks,Draft Pouncey and pick up Jared Veldheer in the second.

Do you HONESTLY believe that you could get a 1st round pick for Starks? You would be hard pressed to get a high 3rd round pick for him. Other teams front offices are stupid. Why don't we trade all of our third string players for other teams pro bowlers too.

Zachintosh66
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Seems to me from my point of view they love our OL, with the exception of the RG spot which is wide open.

After Foote is back I cant see them going McClain IF hes on the board anymore... Think its gotta be Iupati or Pouncey (to have a shot at RG), a DL or DB. Im still hoping for Earl Thomas to be there, but... who knows.

igor0190
03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Jaguars
11 Broncos
12 Dolphins
13 49ers
14 Seahawks
15 Giants
16 Titans
17 49ers
18 STEELERS

Who could be targeting a Safety that picks before us??? We should try and trade up to get ET!!

coldrolled
03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Jaguars
11 Broncos
12 Dolphins
13 49ers
14 Seahawks
15 Giants
16 Titans
17 49ers
18 STEELERS

Who could be targeting a Safety that picks before us??? We should try and trade up to get ET!!

Eric Berry:yellowthumb: if we trade up.

JollyRob68
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Do you HONESTLY believe that you could get a 1st round pick for Starks? You would be hard pressed to get a high 3rd round pick for him. Other teams front offices are stupid. Why don't we trade all of our third string players for other teams pro bowlers too.

No I dont think we'll get a 1st for starks but thats not to say someone out there doesnt like him better than we do.Maybe they think it's the coaching and Starks has gone down hill since Grimm left.

--- Added 3/15/2010 at 02:25 PM ---

10 Jaguars
11 Broncos
12 Dolphins
13 49ers
14 Seahawks
15 Giants
16 Titans
17 49ers
18 STEELERS

No trade ups :banging:we need our picks. If anything Trade back and acquire a 2nd or 3rd.

--- Added 3/15/2010 at 02:26 PM ---

They're bringing in Earl Thomas for a visit.

andyg1984
03-16-2010, 12:28 AM
10 Jaguars
11 Broncos
12 Dolphins
13 49ers
14 Seahawks
15 Giants
16 Titans
17 49ers
18 STEELERS

Who knows who is targeting safeties .. but every team in the NFL is looking for a guy like thomas to play in the two hand touch roger goodell NFL so to speak for lack of a better phrase .. i wonder where teams have him on their board .. a ton have got to have him top 10

K Train
03-16-2010, 12:34 AM
everyone except the giants haha, i dont think the titans would be likely but its possible.

hopefully the hawks take mays, hes carrols boy