PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bracing for Colbert departure

Captcoolhand
12-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Link... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/13/steelers-bracing-for-colbert-departure/)

Long before a certain late-night faux news anchor made the surname "Colbert" famous via a fancy pronunciation that renders the "T" silent, Kevin Colbert (kol'-bert) was grinding away in the bowels of the Steelers organization.

Colbert became the top guy in the Pittsburgh front office after former coach Bill Cowher won a stare down with Tom Donahoe, and Colbert has been responsible for putting together a team that has won two Super Bowls in four seasons.

But it has been assumed since Cowher left the team that if/when he returns as a coach he'll make a run at a reunion with Colbert. Indeed, on a couple of occasions over the past two years, we've caught wind of rumors that Cowher has placed Colbert and cap-and-contracts guy Omar Khan on stand by, in the event Cowher emerges from semi-retirement.

This year, with Cowher's return looking more and more inevitable, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Steelers already are discussing potential G.M. candidates, in the event Colbert leaves.

But Mort points out that it's not a done deal that Colbert will depart and that, in the end, his loyalty to the Rooneys could supersede his loyalty to Cowher.

If Colbert chooses to leave -- and if the Steelers let him walk away despite the terms of this contract -- we applaud the Steelers for adopting the right attitude toward its employees. If they don't want to be there, don't force them to be there. Instead, let them leave and hire someone who's happy and motivated to be part of the team.

Given the Steelers' history and tradition, the Steelers will have a few options for replacing Colbert, we think.Could Cowher be coming back to Pittsburgh....The rumors are starting. :thinking:

cmerrifield
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Wexell says this is just like the Vick rumors

HUNT4SEVEN
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Well given this last Draft i wouldn't be surprise if his head rolls also,i'm ok with change as long as it's positive change........:tt02:

One for the thumb
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Interesting thought, The Rooney's tend to be very loyal to their head coaches, so this would be a different philosophy to pull Tomlin and get Cowher back.

However, it is entirely possible that some of our players may be motivated by spit on their face. Maybe that is what is lacking in this season. Tomlin should spit at them. He should starts with Arians

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
OMG no, Cowher is not coming back to Pittsburgh...let's keep our heads here people. Tomlin is not going to get fired after 1 bad season. Hell Cowher had several bad years with this team and the Rooney's stuck by him. Let's not go thinking the Rooney's will do anything other than support Tomlin in the upcoming assistant coaching changes that we hope will happen.

As far as Colbert, yeah they will let him go if Cowher wants to court him for his team when he comes back to coaching. C&C have long been known as being a pretty tight duo for the Steelers so it wouldn't surprise me to see Kevin go, however like Mort said it's not a done deal and Kevin has been here a LONG time.

One for the thumb
12-13-2009, 09:25 PM
YOu are right.. But seriously.. I think the spitting could really help the motivation

ShellShock
12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Last I heard, Cowher gave his choice for HC and the Rooney's said thanks and went with some unknown guy. I don't think he would come back to that and besides they aren't going to pay him what he wants.

Zachintosh66
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Colbert has put together more good picks than bad picks, so regarding that it would be a loss of we lost him b/c at this point im not comfortable with Tomlin making those picks.

Cowher coming back is ridiculous. Cowher had his moments but Id prefer not to see the chin on the sidelines again. IMO I always thought his rah-rah style of coaching was better suited for the college ranks.

My last memory of Cowher is how indifferent he was during his last season. He knew all year he was done and as far as im concerned that attitude trickle down among the rest of the team.

SteelCityKid5
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Bouchette said he doesnt believe Colbert will leave same with Wexell. Those two guys know a whole hell of a lot, so I trust them. Not saying it couldnt happen but, I dont think it will.

ShellShock
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Good 1-3..... smells like sh^t 4-7.......he blows.

LarryNJ
12-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Could Cowher be coming back to Pittsburgh....The rumors are starting. :thinking:

I'm confused....Where did you get that from the article?

Goodfrom55
12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
The last few years, Colbert has not exactly hit a homerun in the draft.

Whatever. . .

BlackGold4vr
12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Losing Colbert would not spell the end of the franchise. Remember that the Steelers have one of the very best scouting organizations. The GM is just the triggerman for the organization. The Rooney's would not hire a GM who doesn't fit the franchise. Coaching staffs also have input on putting together the teams draft board they just don't have the leverage or authority to make the deals. Deep breaths people. Don't hyperventilate over this rumor.

:nono: