PDA

View Full Version : Was the beginning of our offensive slump?

Mike Tomlin
12-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I was thinking back to when BA was premoted to OC. He said he and Ben sat down and went through the playbook and he threw out everything Ben didn't like.

That was mistake one why wasn't the whole offense there? To the team that loooks suspect. That's where the distance between Hines and Ben started. Remember when Hines commented on the draft and said maybe they'll give him what he wants. (Read between the lines)

We wonder what happened to all our running and gadget plays, B&B threw them all in file 13.
Bottomline I think Bruce is trying to prove to people that Ben is capable of doing what Peyton and Brady can do. Problem is we've never been a one player team, our players all fit a piece of our puzzle when you put them together it's a clear picture. When you take it apart you don't know what the hell your looking at. I hope Tomlin sees this and let's Bruce go at the end of the year. We need someone to tell Ben what are offense is not vica versa. Remember part of the issue with him and the old coaching staff was that they had a short leash on him, now we see why.

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I was thinking back to when BA was premoted to OC. He said he and Ben sat down and went through the playbook and he threw out everything Ben didn't like.

That was mistake one why wasn't the whole offense there? To the team that loooks suspect. That's where the distance between Hines and Ben started. Remember when Hines commented on the draft and said maybe they'll give him what he wants. (Read between the lines)

We wonder what happened to all our running and gadget plays, B&B threw them all in file 13.
Bottomline I think Bruce is trying to prove to people that Ben is capable of doing what Peyton and Brady can do. Problem is we've never been a one player team, our players all fit a piece of our puzzle when you put them together it's a clear picture. When you take it apart you don't know what the hell your looking at. I hope Tomlin sees this and let's Bruce go at the end of the year. We need someone to tell Ben what are offense is not vica versa. Remember part of the issue with him and the old coaching staff was that they had a short leash on him, now we see why.

I don't think we should all be trying to analyze Hines' recent comments as anything more than another loud-mouth WR not liking the fact that his QB gets more attention than himself. I think people have forgotten that Hines' has always had a prototypical WR attitude, Granted it has been far more subtle and classier than others. But he did hold out of training camp not too long ago.

Furthermore, Hines' deciding to complain in an unclassy manner recently is nothing more than a product of knowing that Tomlin is Marvin Lewis and wouldn't do anything about it. There is no way in hell Hine's would've dreamed of pulling that $hit if Cowher was the coach. And if Hines feels he has won 2 SB rings, a SB MVP, made his money and really doesn't care anymore and that's why he's being a d@#k then they simply need to let him go. My loyalty is to the team, not individual players.

Mike Tomlin
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
It's not about his comments, has nothing to do with Bens performance. Bill couldn't stop anyone from making comments...... ask Joey. I swear yall act like Bill was the saviour of football. It's a reason why he left the team and don't eat that bullshit about taken time off.

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2009, 08:18 PM
It's not about his comments, has nothing to do with Bens performance. Bill couldn't stop anyone from making comments...... ask Joey. I swear yall act like Bill was the saviour of football. It's a reason why he left the team and don't eat that bullshit about taken time off.

Apparently the police couldn't stop Joey either. I don't remember Porter calling out teammates in a manner that was anything other than motivational. Don't eat the bullshit that Tomlin won a SB for any reason other than riding the coattails of Cowhers creation.

One for the thumb
12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
The Steelers have always built a team. In the past, they did not build the offense around a Qb or a wide receiver. The built on offense, they built a defense. They trained the back-up's to be starters. SO at any given moment the back-up should be able to pop in and the change should be unnoticeable. Sure starter are better, they have more play time experience, but back-up's should not be this bad.

When you start to build your team around one player you have problems when something happens to a player. For instance Philadelphia Eagles and westbrook. It's not the same without him. Peyton Manning and the Colts. Tony Romo and the Cows.. If he is off the team struggles. If we build our offense around Ben, we will never be a dominating team in the long run.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Well said:clap: Hines is a stand up guy, we have complained on here that Ben was a Diva qb who faked alot of injuries.......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
The problems aren't with Bruce sitting down with Ben and going through the playbook; personally I think it was a great idea. You're QB is the general on the team, when he's out there you need to make him as comfortable as possible; if there's packages and play's that don't suit his style then you adapt, which is what they tried to do. It has nothing to do with Hines comment's now or ever. The whole offense doesn't need to be involved in the playbook like that, they all have certain jobs they do, the QB has to know everything about everybody. Granted most of our players are pretty savy and know what's going on, but in the end the QB is ultimately responsible for the on field success.

Yeah the play calling blows, and personally I think if Ben were able to call more of his own plays at the line we might be more successful, but that's just me.

ShellShock
12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Put Ben in the old Bills K-Gun. Kelly called his own plays.

coldrolled
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Put Ben in the old Bills K-Gun. Kelly called his own plays.

Washington 31 points today......... vs oakland...

With Zorn avg. 9 points with the new OC play caller 31 points. 2nd time since the change.

Same players. Same team.. Different Plays.

Wow... Could it be this easy???

Fire Arians Now.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
When we actually do run the no huddle, Ben calls his own plays and we usually do really well. I wish they would actually use this guy to the best of all his abilities, which includes using him in the no huddle more, or just letting him call his own plays on a series or 2 during the game.

Goodfrom55
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Washington 31 points today......... vs oakland...

With Zorn avg. 9 points with the new OC play caller 31 points. 2nd time since the change.

Same players. Same team.. Different Plays.

Wow... Could it be this easy???

Fire Arians Now.

I guess the Steelers need to raid the bingo parlor as well. . .

As with any QB, give him his choice, he will throw 90% of the time. But as we know, any good offense needs a balanced threat.

coldrolled
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I guess the Steelers need to raid the bingo parlor as well. . .

As with any QB, give him his choice, he will throw 90% of the time. But as we know, any good offense needs a balanced threat.

Actually, i counted 88 points in the last three game for the skins.

I guess the Bingo Coach learned how to call the right numbers in the hall...

O64 N32 B6 Hut.

Arians should maybe take up Bingo.. :greengrin:

LatrobePA
12-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Cinci exposed us! Been downhill from there!