PDA

View Full Version : A Plea To Pittsburgh Steelers Fans

jpele
12-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Chances are that most of us have seen our Pittsburgh Steelers win at least two of their six Super Bowls. Namely Super Bowl XL and Super Bowl XLIII.

Only fans of the New England Patriots have seen their team win more this decade.

Going back a decade and the Dallas Cowboys accomplished the same feat as the Patriots, whilst the Denver Broncos matched the two that the Steelers have won this decade.

We, as a fan base in general are extremely lucky and extremely spoiled. Losing a single game turns into such an uproar that fans of many teams wish nothing more than for us to be stricken from this very earth.

Can you blame them?

What gives perennial winners the right to complain about one losing season when there are teams that haven't made the playoffs in years? Our team has won six Super Bowls; hoisted six Lombardi Trophies.

There are five teams in the NFL who have never made it to that stage.

They don't care if we don't get there. In fact, they enjoy seeing us fall short of our goals.

The question I pose to all my fellow Steelers fans is:

Where do you get off writing this team off simply because we don't make the playoffs. Where do you get off saying that the team sucks and calling for the head of the Head Coach?

What kind of fan is that?

What if every time you lost a little league game your father told you that you sucked, that he hated you?

A point would come that you wouldn't care what he said. You'd ignore him, hate him even.

The fickle fans are the father in this story.

Sure we just lost to a rival that we'd beaten twelve straight times. But you've got to be kidding me if you believed that the Cleveland Browns were never going to beat us again.

We can't win the Super Bowl every year (though I'd be perfectly happy with every other year), the NFL's not set up to be like that. And that's what makes it great.

I've had enough of hearing about how Mike Tomlin can't do his job, about how the Rooney Rule got him a job, about how he inherited Bill Cowher's team. The man won you a Super Bowl last year. He hasn't had a losing season yet but you want him gone?

That's ridiculous. What ever happened to loyalty?

And for those of you predicting a long time Super Bowl drought for the team now, let me ask you this:

Why are you already giving up for next season?

Why are some of our fellow fans crying over one lost season? The Detroit Lions suffered a season in which they could not beat ONE team. A .000 winning percentage. But, we're in the right to complain about a 6-6 season?

There are numerous teams that would trade places with us in a heartbeat just to say they won six games.

I'm asking for patience, respect and determination that we'll be back next year.

I'm asking for some loyalty.

by
TJ Jenkins (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/306744-a-plea-to-pittsburgh-steelers-fans)

Big T
12-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Beautiful....

75Steeler
12-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm a Steelers fan and always will be. I support Coach Tomlin because none of us really know what he has to deal with in the front office or in the locker room. How much do the Rooneys allow him to control? Can he do what needs done and fire BA or does that take the Rooneys to approve? I think Tomlin gives his speaches like the "unleashing hell" speach because he wants us to know he wants better for this team and he knows this team is capable of playing better. Pittsburgh fans will always be critical of the team when they play poorly because they care so much. I live in Charlotte and they could care less about the Panthers when they play poorly it is actually pretty sad. Steelers fans are not "fair weather" fans.

LarryNJ
12-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I believe a large percentage of the comments are simply out of frustration. At least I would hope so. Tomlin is the youngest coach to ever win a Super Bowl, he is the real deal and will get better as he gets older.

If you look back to last year we played with emotion and pulled out a lot of close games. Deshea's int against Dallas, Troys against the Ravens, the 92 yard drive against the Ravens. All of those games could've went the other way. This year we played without that emotion, drive, and a will to win. There's a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL this year we are on the wrong side of the line. Who's to blame? All of them from the front office on down. I believe that it was simply a matter of not wanting it bad enough, super bowl hang over, over confident, not doing the extra little things that it takes to win. Tomlin will have many more seasons and many more W's with the Steelers. We'll all be along for the ride!

The comparision to little league is a little much. These guys are professionals getting paid millions the should be held accountable.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Amen TJ !! Very good article !!

Mike Tomlin
12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I felt everything he said, a lot of what he' saying can be found right on this site.
That's why are team has the mentality of it's us against the world.(that includes the fans at times)
Who can blame them with some of the stuff that's said about them from so called supporters

Phenomenal TJ
12-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Woah, I didn't even have to post this here. jpele took care of that for me.

Props my man. Thanks!

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
When our team (the steelers in this case) walk on the field of battle and do absolutely nothing to win 5 games against the chumps of the NFL, I as a loyal fan am entitled and expected by fans throughout the world to be vocal about their lousy performance. Our team is the defending world champion. Many changes are required to correct the current pathetic state of affairs. The fans are as much a part of this team (stop going to games and see what happens) as those on the field. We are doing our part by bitching about the lousy play calling and skulduggery in the locker room. S., I ask who is not doing their part?

I will not go wondering off looking for some other team to back. I am a steelers only fan. Now you coaches and players do your fn job.:imho:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok......I really havn't complained to much after losses....But one thing that ticks me off is when it looks like the players have quit and really don't care.....I'm sorry the team did look like they quit against the Browns......I was hard on Tomlin the other day but I don't think he should be fired....But I do think that changes do need to be made to his coaching staff........I also think some players from the old guard need to go.......

jpele
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Woah, I didn't even have to post this here. jpele took care of that for me.

Props my man. Thanks!

I thought it was an excellent article.Props to you for writing it.