PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin vs Cowher

steelersbabex25
12-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I realize this topic has kind of already been beaten to death by me and others, but seeing Tomlin yesterday made me lose some of the respect that I had for him. After the 4th and whatever it was miss by Ben in the last 2 min, Tomlin did not even looked like he cared one bit. This is where I kind of wish we could have Cowher back for a few games during the season. I could picture Cowher coaching that game and I can't imagine Cowher letting something like that happen, and if it did, he would atleast look like he cared a little bit. Tomlin can't just be the nice guy anymore. He needs to step it up in the offseason and work this team until there's no such thing as blowing 4th quarter leads. :crossfingers:

Moondog
12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
The verdict is still out on Tomlin....It's crunch time though.

Big T
12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
One bad season won't change my opinion of him....he is still a good coach and I'm anxious to see how we rebound next season.

Troyisabeast_43
12-11-2009, 08:57 PM
It's pretty safe to say the honeymoon period for Mike Tomlin with the Steeler Nation has officially come to an end and last night was pretty much the exclamation point for it. What's disturbing to me about Tomlin is that 2 out of his 3 years that he has been coaching the Steelers his teams have regressed and fallen apart in late November early December. Now granted they did win the division and make the playoffs in 2007 but they werent playing their best football by any stretch and kind of just limped their way into the playoffs that year. Whatever the case maybe something happened to this football team in the last month from the night they won in Denver on November 9th and looked great, to a month later on December 10th when they hit rock bottom and lost to the Browns. When you continually hear players coming out on defense after not just 1 game but 2 or 3 games saying they got the wrong play calls and signals and werent on the same page as the coaching staff then something is seriously wrong. Tomlin I think half-assed it for a good word this year. Sure he said all the right things before the season and during training camp about not taking things for granted and having the easiest schedule, but now youre starting to see that when faced with real adversity for the first time in his Steelers coaching career Mike Tomlin has looked absolutely clueless and has no answers at all right now to any of the Steelers problems. He really thought all I had to do this year with this schedule was show up with pretty much the same exact team as last season and things would be exactly the same. Well guess what coach Tomlin you thought wrong...

We will really begin to find out a lot about Tomlin come next season when their is change on this football team with the coaching staff and the players. Because the team that Bill Cowher left him and built for him when he retired is starting to dissapear and the core players are fading and fading quickly. If Tomlin once again next year has another late season swoon like this where he fades once again late in the season for the 3rd time in 4 years then we will know for sure that we got a seriously problem on our hands with Tomlin.

I myself have had about enough of Tomlin during this 5 game losing streak coming out after losses saying the same **** such as we accept responsibility for our performance and saying stuff like "that isnt us and wont be us",and that we are going to unleash hell ,and Im going to make a lot of changes and dont many hardly any with the season and playoffs on the line. Whatever the problem is Tomlin has a lot of work to do this offseason to get this team back to where it suppose to be and where it should have been this season being a Super Bowl contender...

steelersbabex25
12-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with the last part of that..well all of it, but especially the last part. It brings me back to the days of Anthony whatever his last name was who loved to run his mouth but could never back it up. All Tomlin has been doing is running his mouth and not visably showing anything that is supporting what he's been saying. They look like the Cowboys out there with all their December problems..

Troyisabeast_43
12-11-2009, 10:01 PM
One bad season won't change my opinion of him....he is still a good coach and I'm anxious to see how we rebound next season.

Well that remains to be seen there is a big difference I believe in having a bad season in comparison to your team totally collapsing the last half of the season which is exactly what the Steelers are on the verge of doing here. I know people dont want the Steelers to win these last 3 games because it will hurt their draft status, but if this team finishes this season losing 8 games in a row especially after this debacle that just took place in Cleveland last night Mike Tomlin will really really be under the gun from the Steelers fans going into next season. While Cowher and Noll had losing seasons neither of them had teams that were like this at 6-2 and just completely out of nowhere fell apart and lost their last 8 games of the season while losing to 3 of the worst teams in football during that stretch. With that being said, I think finishing strong and showing some signs of life these last 3 games are very very important for Mike Tomlin...

steelersbabex25
12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I would love to see them win atleast 2 of these last 3 and finish atleast at .500. I could be biased because I'm going to be at the game next week, but like you said. The more games they lose the more pressure Tomlin will be under regardless.

Mike Tomlin
12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
It's pretty safe to say the honeymoon period for Mike Tomlin with the Steeler Nation has officially come to an end and last night was pretty much the exclamation point for it. What's disturbing to me about Tomlin is that 2 out of his 3 years that he has been coaching the Steelers his teams have regressed and fallen apart in late November early December. Now granted they did win the division and make the playoffs in 2007 but they werent playing their best football by any stretch and kind of just limped their way into the playoffs that year. Whatever the case maybe something happened to this football team in the last month from the night they won in Denver on November 9th and looked great, to a month later on December 10th when they hit rock bottom and lost to the Browns. When you continually hear players coming out on defense after not just 1 game but 2 or 3 games saying they got the wrong play calls and signals and werent on the same page as the coaching staff then something is seriously wrong. Tomlin I think half-assed it for a good word this year. Sure he said all the right things before the season and during training camp about not taking things for granted and having the easiest schedule, but now youre starting to see that when faced with real adversity for the first time in his Steelers coaching career Mike Tomlin has looked absolutely clueless and has no answers at all right now to any of the Steelers problems. He really thought all I had to do this year with this schedule was show up with pretty much the same exact team as last season and things would be exactly the same. Well guess what coach Tomlin you thought wrong...

We will really begin to find out a lot about Tomlin come next season when their is change on this football team with the coaching staff and the players. Because the team that Bill Cowher left him and built for him when he retired is starting to dissapear and the core players are fading and fading quickly. If Tomlin once again next year has another late season swoon like this where he fades once again late in the season for the 3rd time in 4 years then we will know for sure that we got a seriously problem on our hands with Tomlin.

I myself have had about enough of Tomlin during this 5 game losing streak coming out after losses saying the same **** such as we accept responsibility for our performance and saying stuff like "that isnt us and wont be us",and that we are going to unleash hell ,and Im going to make a lot of changes and dont many hardly any with the season and playoffs on the line. Whatever the problem is Tomlin has a lot of work to do this offseason to get this team back to where it suppose to be and where it should have been this season being a Super Bowl contender...

It's funny that you failed to mention the common factor of this year and Tomlins first year, Troy and Smith were out then too. People say oh this wouldn't happen to Cowher but forget that he went 8-8 after his lone superbowl season after 15 years with a healthy team. People think our secondary has all of a sudden fallen off,but if your true Steeler fan you would know our secondary has been bad for years well before Tomlin. When you have a guy like Troy anyones secondary looks better.

75Steeler
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I too miss the spittle that used to fly from Cowher when he was coaching a game and things took a turn south. I do think however that Tomlin is a good coach in his own right and history will prove that. Tomlin has some rebuilding to do over the off season. He needs to make major changes and get some talent in the draft. Next season's Steelers will be the team that Tomlin built and his credibility will improve.

STEELER 4 LIFE
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM

I myself have had about enough of Tomlin during this 5 game losing streak coming out after losses saying the same **** such as we accept responsibility for our performance and saying stuff like "that isnt us and wont be us",and that we are going to unleash hell ,and Im going to make a lot of changes and dont many hardly any with the season and playoffs on the line. Whatever the problem is Tomlin has a lot of work to do this offseason to get this team back to where it suppose to be and where it should have been this season being a Super Bowl contender

We will find out who Tomlin is now-there has got to be changes!
:crossfingers:Hope it starts with firing Bruce!!!!:crossfingers:

Ambridge
12-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Tomlin-vs-Cowher??
One thing I think that can be said about a Bill Cowher Football Team is that regardless of the situation, the win or loss record, or whether they were in the playoff hunt or not they always fought hard to the bitter end and never-ever-ever Quit.

This Steeler team under Tomlin has simply "Mailed It In" and they seem content to resign itself to the misfortune and hard times that have come their way. You could see this "Funk" start to take hold in the Kansas City Game and last weeks debacle against the Raiders was the Death Dealing Blow.
This is absolutely Inexcusable on Tomlin's part and it speaks volumes about his lack of leadership and motivational skills.

It just grates my *** when I hear announcers and analyst start with the Tomlin "shpeel" with "Oh!! He really gets it" and "that the players really respond to him". "He's a great players coach and a coaches-coach as well".

I'm calling BS on Tomlin right now.
You don't win a Superbowl one year then come out the next season and fall completely on your face and lose to three of the worst teams in the NFL and do it by pissing away games the way they have.
I don't want to hear about the injuries to Troy and Aaron Smith because this team has all but QUIT and that is something that is Unacceptable and Untolerable!!

This how franchises start to go in the toilet and if the Steelers aren't careful they will be the new Laughing Stocks of the League.

LatrobePA
12-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Come next year Tomlin will be more seasoned and this spell he's going through right now will make him a better coach. Give him time to clean this season up he'll be fine!

Moondog
12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Come next year Tomlin will be more seasoned and this spell he's going through right now will make him a better coach. Give him time to clean this season up he'll be fine!

I hope you are right, Latrobe.

coldrolled
12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I hope you are right, Latrobe.

He is... No Arians and we will have a real team on the field.

He should go now, and give us three games to reset early.

Iron City South
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Coaches, just like players, learn and grow through experience and adversity.

What's happening right now is Tomlin's Vietnam ...

A+M=O
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
The verdict is still out on Tomlin....It's crunch time though.

Fire his ***!

TEEMONT
12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Coaches, just like players, learn and grow through experience and adversity.

What's happening right now is Tomlin's Vietnam ...

lol... I'm sure I know a few Vietnam vets who wuold take exception to that remark.

This is more like Tomlins War of 1812.

--- Added 12/12/2009 at 11:55 AM ---

Fire his ***!

worst post ever

NYCsteelersfan
12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
It's funny that you failed to mention the common factor of this year and Tomlins first year, Troy and Smith were out then too. People say oh this wouldn't happen to Cowher but forget that he went 8-8 after his lone superbowl season after 15 years with a healthy team. People think our secondary has all of a sudden fallen off,but if your true Steeler fan you would know our secondary has been bad for years well before Tomlin. When you have a guy like Troy anyones secondary looks better.

Was that 8-8 season the same season that his QB almost died in a motorcycle accident before the season started and then rushed back after an emergency appendectomy during the season?

There is absolutely no comparison in the world between Tomlin and Cowher. Cowher had O'donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox. Tomlin has had the benefit of a probowl QB since he took over the team. Cowher went to an AFC championship in Roethlisberger's rookie year and then won a Superbowl with him in his sophmore year. Give Tomlin the QB's and WR's that Cowher had during his tenure and Tomlin would never even sniff the playoffs.

Mike Tomlin=Barry Switzer

Ambridge
12-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Mike Tomlin=Barry Switzer

Couldn't have said it better!! That's probably even an insult to Barry Switzer.

Yes....Tomlin fell into a Primo job just like Barry Switzer taking over from Jimmy Johnson and George Seifert taking over from Bill Walsh.

Tomlin has done little to nothing to help build this franchise and he took over a well stocked team built by Bill Cowher.

A Tree Sloth standing on the sideline wearing a headset could have won a Superbowl or at least had a couple of good winning seasons on those Cowboys and 49'er teams and Tomlin has fallen into suit.

Switzer, Seifert and Tomlin....AKA....The coaches who won a Championship via Auto-pilot and who eventually wont amount to a hill of beans.