PDA

View Full Version : Are we officially in the rebuilding stages?

SteelerSal
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I hate to say it but we are officially in the rebuilding stage and it's gonna take a while to get back to the level of play (not including BA's playcalling) we have been used to.
Most of our defense is VERY old and we don't have the players on the roster that pop out and have us believe that they are our future.

Can anyone name one backup on our team that you can honestly say you feel comfortable seeing on the feild or better yet say they can be a starter for us or any other team?

Smith, Farrior, Hoke, Harrison Townsend, Kirshke, Hampton and carter are all well over 30 and Troy, Clark and Ike are closing in.
Has Hood, Burnett, Sonny Harris, Lewis or Mundy done enough to satify your confidense that they are the future?.......................Not me.

As for the offense, reality is that Hines playing days are nearing which only leaves Holmes and Wallce as a proven and semi proven reciever for the team......is Sweed part of the future?.................So far a no go.

The o-line has improved a little from last season but so far it has no decent depth to push them to either work harder to keep there job or replace them because of injury.

Alot of holes to fill on the roster with limited draft picks that are gambles to contribute and limited cap rom for quality free agents..

Like I said in the beginning of this post, we are rebuilding and the big question is, "How long will it be for?"

steelersbabex25
12-11-2009, 05:03 PM
We need to do a lot of work in the offseason, but I don't think it should be long until we're superbowl contenders again. Most of our problems weren't really problems with talent..

K Train
12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
no

a solid draft, some minor changes and they will be back on track

Goodfrom55
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Address the current issues and the Steelers will be Superbowl contenders next year!

LatrobePA
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
no

What do we pick 1st round?

scottbe
12-11-2009, 05:34 PM
a shut-down cornerback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaronsmith91
12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
What about Woodley and Timmons I am excited for these two young players. Hines is having a 1000 yard receiving year, he had a bad hamstring last night you can’t base last night’s performance as an overall indicator of his playing level. Wallace is playing great and Holmes is getting better every year.

I agree that we need to draft depth at o-line and beginning filling in voids veteran players are going to leave. But I would not consider this a re-building team at this moment...just a bad year

HUNT4SEVEN
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
no

Exactly:yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/11/2009 at 03:56 PM ---

Address the current issues and the Steelers will be Superbowl contenders next year!

I agree :tt02:

Big T
12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I really don't see how they can mess up this draft...with the picks they will have, they should be able to pick atleast 3 players that can come in and make an immediate impact.

franchise3
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I am not as optimistic... Maybe I'm just so disappointed by the last few weeks and am not thinking clearly but basically our whole defense needs rebuilding and our oline needs changes. While it may take only 2-3 years to get it right, you will have some important players done; Harrison, Smith, Ward, Hampton. They will be hard to replace. I am afraid that we are step behind the rebuilding process and with the number of old players that we have we should have young and talented up and coming. Kind of like Mike Wallace players but at many more positions...

LatrobePA
12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Solid draft, but this team isn't one to start their first round rookies, will this change in 2010??

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I hate to say it but we are officially in the rebuilding stage and it's gonna take a while to get back to the level of play (not including BA's playcalling) we have been used to.
Most of our defense is VERY old and we don't have the players on the roster that pop out and have us believe that they are our future.

Can anyone name one backup on our team that you can honestly say you feel comfortable seeing on the feild or better yet say they can be a starter for us or any other team?

Smith, Farrior, Hoke, Harrison Townsend, Kirshke, Hampton and carter are all well over 30 and Troy, Clark and Ike are closing in.
Has Hood, Burnett, Sonny Harris, Lewis or Mundy done enough to satify your confidense that they are the future?.......................Not me.

As for the offense, reality is that Hines playing days are nearing which only leaves Holmes and Wallce as a proven and semi proven reciever for the team......is Sweed part of the future?.................So far a no go.

The o-line has improved a little from last season but so far it has no decent depth to push them to either work harder to keep there job or replace them because of injury.

Alot of holes to fill on the roster with limited draft picks that are gambles to contribute and limited cap rom for quality free agents..

Like I said in the beginning of this post, we are rebuilding and the big question is, "How long will it be for?"

What exactly do we need to rebuild? Top 5 QB, a great receiving corps, a great young RB, and a solid defense when the best player is healthy. The Steelers weren't bad this year, the coaches were.

Clevelandsux
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't think they are that far off. They need to make some changes, but I expect them to be back on track next year.

steelcityrockers
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
a shut-down cornerback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There hasn't been a shut down CB since '95, but yes that would be nice.

Mike Tomlin
12-11-2009, 08:43 PM
no

I agree, plus we'll be in a position to get good players that can contribute now. A few positions I wolud love to see added to the team.

Safety there are quite a few in the draft this year. We need a hybrid type the could play either side. Not saying he's the best available but Rolle from FSU is a proven smart guy and he'll drop to maybe the 3rd round. He can fill in so maybe we'll atleast have solid play in case of injuries to either saftey spot, and say bye bye to Carter.

Corner only if theres a very good one in the first round ,other than that we gotta find a vet somewhere.

RB Rashard showed us he can run away like willie and showed better vision. I hope somewhere in this draft we can find a bowlingball. Hell he can average 2 yards a carry for all I care, as long as there at 3rd and 2 lol.

DL We still need youth on that line , if Mccoy from Alabama dropped to us and we took him in the first I wouldn't be upset at all. I really liked Raji last year, he would be nasty in our 3-4.

OL Its hard to find a good starting rookie One in the draft unless your in the top 20. I'm all for it if ones available first round. I think we're going to have to trade or go the free agency route. Either way we're going to have to open the checkbook. That goes for our corner situation ,too.

Bottomline this is where Tomlin makes his checks, this offseason is really where he'll have a change this team. I remember when he got hired and they thought he would change the 3-4 he said " if it ain't broke don't fix it". It's time for the Front office to pull out the tool box because we're leaking oil bad.

SteelerSal
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
What exactly do we need to rebuild? Top 5 QB, a great receiving corps, a great young RB, and a solid defense when the best player is healthy. The Steelers weren't bad this year, the coaches were.

Read my original post that you qouted again and you will see that I answered that question.
We have below average or unproven depth behind the aged starters on defense, none I would consider to become the starter if one of the elders was to either become a FA, retires or loses a step.
Hampton is probably gone, who is his replacement?
Townsend is done...Gay is a better nickle and can take his place, who starts opposite Ike? Has Burnett or Lewis proven to be that guy?
There is no gaurentee that Smith comes back at the same level he left.....who fills that spot?
Farrior seems to have slowed down a little and next year is his 14th......who is being groomed to replace him?
Troy has had a hard time staying healthy all season.....are you happy with Carter filling in for him or has Mundy impressed you?
Hoke and Kirshke are almost in their mid 30's.....how much is left in their tank?
Eason blows and Hood is still a work in progress with no gaurentee he will be the next Aaron Smith.
Harrison is gonna be 32, who fills his spot in a few years?

And thats just the defensive side.

Lousy draft picks in the later rounds the past few years have killed our depth. there are only a handful of late rounders from the past few years even on the roster.

This is gonna have the same feel of what we went through in the early eighties when our once strong team got old and faded.
Alot of you were to young to remember that time but I remember it well....

NYCsteelersfan
12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
And thats just the defensive side.

Lousy draft picks in the later rounds the past few years have killed our depth. there are only a handful of late rounders from the past few years even on the roster.

This is gonna have the same feel of what we went through in the early eighties when our once strong team got old and faded.
Alot of you were to young to remember that time but I remember it well....

What needs to be rebuilt on the offensive side? Other than coaching, the answer in none.

Lebeau can take any goon from the draft and slot him into his defensive scheme, he always has. You're exaggerating the problems of this team tremendously. We're an offensive coordinator and special teams coach away from being back in the playoffs next year.

DanRooney
12-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Eric Berry. Trade a first and a 3rd to move up a few spots in the first round.

coldrolled
12-12-2009, 09:17 PM

really. just fire arians and see what happens from there.

LatrobePA
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
really. just fire arians and see what happens from there.

LOL...:yellowthumb:

BlackGold4vr
12-12-2009, 09:55 PM
What needs to be rebuilt on the offensive side? Other than coaching, the answer in none.

O-line, O-line, O-line

Did you notice through all those Dick Lebeau blitz schemes that teams like Oakland, Cleveland, K.C. had plenty of time to pass and picked up our overloads?

Have you noticed what happens to Ben when teams do that to us?

How many times do pass rushers come in untouched on Ben?

Starks is a horrible left tackle. Hartwig is an average center at best.

LatrobePA
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
O-line, O-line, O-line

Did you notice through all those Dick Lebeau blitz schemes that teams like Oakland, Cleveland, K.C. had plenty of time to pass and picked up our overloads?

I agree, but didn't we just give these guys some money??

BlackGold4vr
12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree, but didn't we just give these guys some money??

So paying them even though they suck should prevent us from trying to get better?

I think a franchise left tackle and a dominant center mixed in with what we already have would pay huge dividends. Starks is a horrible LT. Too big, too slow! There are a couple good tackles available in this draft but you gotta pick em early.

LatrobePA
12-12-2009, 10:30 PM
So paying them even though they suck should prevent us from trying to get better?

I think a franchise left tackle and a dominant center mixed in with what we already have would pay huge dividends. Starks is a horrible LT. Too big, too slow! There are a couple good tackles available in this draft but you gotta pick em early.

Pay these idiots starter wages to sit on the bench then?? Can't we cut their asses if a replacement is fit??

BlackGold4vr
12-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm actually hoping that we can get a shot at Eric Berry or Joe Haden in the first round to help our secondary and then pick up someone like Ciron Black in the second round.

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2009, 03:45 AM
O-line, O-line, O-line

I know how awful the line is, believe me. But I feel their awfulness is further exacerbated by Arian's playcalling. Defenses simply don't respect us to run the ball anymore. Defenses also don't respect our ability to run plays that include shovel passes, dump passes, or quick screens either. The lack of respect for the above puts further pressure on what is an already miserable o-line. Basically if the playcalling changed, the o-line would still not be good, but they also wouldn't be this bad either.

JensK
12-13-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm actually hoping that we can get a shot at Eric Berry or Joe Haden in the first round to help our secondary and then pick up someone like Ciron Black in the second round.

Joe Haden or Eric Berry in the first, and Ciron Black in the second would be the best draft ever. Only problem i would have with it was, that we would not get a NT or ILB, but both Haden and Berry would be impossible to pass on - as would Black in the second round!

steelcityrockers
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Eric Berry. Trade a first and a 3rd to move up a few spots in the first round.

I'd cry with joy.

stLlRfn14
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM

Wow congrats buddy u figured it out. Maybe you should be the GM???? :yellowthumb: IDIOT. Keep your :crossfingers: and hope we have a good draft unlike the last couple seasons. I pray that we draft corner that can come in here right away because we are in trouble. Also big ben needs to step his **** up and get rid of the ball quick because 8 sacks against the browns is unacceptable...wow even without shaun rodgers HAHAHAHA:lol:

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow congrats buddy u figured it out. Maybe you should be the GM???? :yellowthumb: IDIOT.

And the reason for that was?

NCSteeler
12-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Hood, DE in the 3-4 is a hard transition for a college player that has never played it. He should start and get max playing time the rest of the season. We need to see if he is going to make progress.

Burnett and Lewis, I don't think anyone,(including the coaches) have seen enough of Burnett or Lewis to know if they will be any good. Once again they need to see max playing time the last few weeks to see if we need to go CB in the draft. I think Gay will do fine reduced to the nickel back job

Fox, he ought to be starting in Timmons place the rest of the season and Timons should take over for Farrior. Farrior should be nothing better than a role player next season. We need to draft at least one each ILB and OLB. Harrison is becoming a one trick pony and needs to spend his off season convincing Goodel to get his guys to call holding or he needs to learn other techniques. The best pass rusher in history/HOF have always had a back up move to go to when they weren't getting there.

WR we need to draft another young guy to fill in here, once again I think Sweed needs to start the last three games, he needs to step up or move on

stLlRfn14
12-14-2009, 07:24 PM
And the reason for that was?

Because his post was pointless. Its obvious we need to address our needs. HAHA. Why would anyone even post that. We want peoples opinions with reasons why. We dont want people stating the obvious like him. I was not trying to be mean but if he knew what he was talking about then i wouldn't have said anything. Now he might know but in that post he gave nothing.