PDA

View Full Version : No Major Changes Afterall

Zachintosh66
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
No major changes expected
The lineup changes might not be as drastic tomorrow night in Cleveland as Tomlin implied during his news conference Monday.

Two days after his concussion, William Gay took his normal spot at left cornerback and went through a full practice after passing his tests.

"I went through all the tests and didn't have any symptoms. They allowed me to go out there and practice and see how I felt after practice," said Gay, who reported afterward that he felt fine with no headaches.

The possibility remains that rookie Joe Burnett will replace Gay as a starter and that rookie Keenan Lewis could rotate with right cornerback Ike Taylor. Those two rookies were mentioned by Tomlin as likely getting more playing time in Cleveland.

Taylor took issue with those who might think he deserves to see less playing time, although he acknowledged he did not play well in Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Raiders.

"Other than that game, I feel I played OK," Taylor said. "One game. It's just tough because it was at a crucial time. That was a game we really needed some plays on the back end. That's why everything is getting scrutinized. But it's cool and we'll move on."

Taylor, the Steelers' most consistent cornerback since the 2005 season, was demoted by Bill Cowher for five games in the second half of the 2006 season.

"It was tough, you know, coming off the Super Bowl especially, and the things I was doing," said Taylor, who often is assigned to cover the opponent's best receiver. "That was in past, this is 2009 and I'm still here."

He said the demotion by Cowher did help him "mentally, no question. A little adversity either brings out the best or the worst in somebody, and it definitely brought out the best."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/09343/1019422-66.stm#ixzz0ZCnZbdS9

LatrobePA
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Not sure if I'm gonna watch this game! Tomlin, what's up man! Gay is lousy!!

BlackGold4vr
12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Not sure if I'm gonna watch this game! Tomlin, what's up man! Gay is lousy!!

It's all part of the strategy to move up on the draft board. If we lose to Cleveland there will be a revolt against this coaching staff. They might need security to leave the stadium.

:helmet:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
It's all part of the strategy to move up on the draft board. If we lose to Cleveland there will be a revolt against this coaching staff. They might need security to leave the stadium.

:hehheh: Agreed:yellowthumb: But at this point we are in such a need for some good young talent i hope we lose out:yesnod:

Captcoolhand
12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
the media is making more out of this than what it's worth..Steelers know they can win but the media is just trying to get into their heads......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Im sure we'll see Burnett & Lewis atleast a little bit in this game, but if any of us thought he was going to make wholesale changes by sticking 2 rookies in the game where there is still a slight chance for the post season, then that would have been crazy.

Im not saying I like Gay, I think he's terrible, but how's a rookie going to do as a starter in a big game..do u really want to take that chance? Im all for rotating the young guys in for a series here and there to see how they do, in fact I would love it, but you can't just bench a guy like Ike and expect there to be no drop off, regardless of how much he struggled recently.

So basically what we've seen from Tomlin this year is a lot of shooting his mouth off to the media after a poor loss, promising all types of change and then he ends up not delivering. One could say that he's going to have to learn to curb his media chatter after a game until he has time to evaluate what's happened.

BlackGold4vr
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
We will play down to the level of the Browns and they will probably have opportunities in the 4th quarter to beat us. I predict Cleveland will find a way to beat themselves and our players will beat their chests and swagger around like they just won their 7th Lombardi by beating possibly the worst team in the league.

LatrobePA
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Like I said I may end up not watching this one! I cannot stomach a loss to a POS 1-11 Browns team, and I personally have 0 faith Gay can get the job done, he's been thrown at with great success this whole year...

You never know with a new guy or rookie, he might come out and play lights out to prove his worth, that's how stars are born in the NFL every year, be it injuries or benchings!

I can assure you this, Brady Quinn will not be afraid to take some shots at this secondary! Quinn sucks but so has the other QB's we made shine the past few weeks!

Blazedby92
12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Apparently the rooks aren't ready or isn't any better. Rotating would be good.

ejsteeler
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I honestly don't know what I will do if we lose to the clowns. That's just a loss i cannot fathom......

steelerfan11
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Apparently the rooks aren't ready or isn't any better. Rotating would be good.

I bet they rotate a lot. I'm guessing due to short week they can't make a complete change. Hopefully they rotate a lot and get lots of snaps to see what they have in their rookie CBs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I have no doubt whatsoever that we will play down to the competition this week, it's what we've done all year and what we've done in the past. Whether or not we can overcome ourselves is yet to be determined but based on how 2009 has gone I wouldn't give us any better than 50-50 odds. Logic would tell you that the Chiefs would have done something to screw themselves over, allowing us to get the win..and the same with the Raiders but we all know that didn't happen.

75Steeler
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I wish I could be a fly on the wall inside Tomlin's office and the locker rooms at Hines Field and the South Side practice field. I'd kill to know what Tomlin is saying and how he is when it is just the coaches and the team. Has he given up on this season and is just using the remaining games to determine what changes to make for next season? Does he really care about the games left on this schedule?

Big T
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
People are making such a big deal about these "changes" Tomlin said he would make...he never said that he would make any changes....he said he's going to evaluate every aspect and give other plays extra looks...he said he would consider starting Burnett over gay and Lewis over Ike, he never said it will happen...Burnett will probably get some more playing time and most likely so will Lewis....people overreact after tough losses.

Zachintosh66
12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
“I think it’s appropriate at this time that we acknowledge we have an undesirable pattern of behavior, which produces a series of outcomes that are not what we’re looking for,” said Tomlin. “Moving forward this week and beyond, we can’t continue to do what we’ve been doing and assume that pattern of behavior is going to change and those outcomes are going to change. We’re analyzing all aspects of what we’re doing here, specifically this week, and we are going to be aggressive in looking at potential changes. Not only what we do schematically, but who we have do it in all three phases because it’s appropriate. I think that’s evident.”

http://www.steelers.com/article/115488/

BlackGold4vr
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
....people overreact after tough losses.

A tough loss is losing to a WINNING team in overtime by a fieldgoal.

Losing to not one but two bottom feeders that get destroyed by every other team is not a tough loss.....

It is an embarassment and something to be ashamed of!

Average margin of victory by our 70's Steeler dynasty over teams with losing records?

21 points! :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Soo they are going to play Gay....Ok if the guy isn't playing well BEFORE his concussion and that was a horrible hit, what makes them think he's going to play better 4 days AFTER a concussion???? :dunno: I"m just confused with the logic here!!!

One for the thumb
12-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I honestly don't know what I will do if we lose to the clowns. That's just a loss i cannot fathom......

I will hide my head in the sand:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

Zachintosh66
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Average margin of victory by our 70's Steeler dynasty over teams with losing records?

21 points! :yellowthumb:

You cant compare the 70's to the late 2000's... its like apples to oranges. But i know what point your trying to get acrossed...

Ibleedblk&gld
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Soo they are going to play Gay....Ok if the guy isn't playing well BEFORE his concussion and that was a horrible hit, what makes them think he's going to play better 4 days AFTER a concussion???? :dunno: I"m just confused with the logic here!!!

Not only that but he's quick to bench Mendy for fumbling problems to teach him a lesson...yet gay's been getting burned all season and he's still starting...I don't get it

LatrobePA
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Not only that but he's quick to bench Mendy for fumbling problems to teach him a lesson...yet gay's been getting burned all season and he's still starting...I don't get it

Right with you dude! Do not get it at all! Other than he doesn't feel the others are an option....

Ibleedblk&gld
12-09-2009, 09:57 PM
At this point it's worth a shot...say we lose this game, all the other AFC teams in the WC hunt win....they decide to play Burnett and Lewis sine the season is over, and they excel...maybe not dominate, but they play their positions, hold their own, and don't get burned/single handedly blow a 4th quarter lead...then what? Everyone will be bitching about tomlin not playing them sooner...

If he were to try them out over gay (at the very least) and they fail, then at least we know and can move on w/ the rest of the season and look forward to the draft

DanRooney
12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Tomlin=moron=no balls=fraud

UKSTEELER
12-10-2009, 03:09 AM
the rookies won't start, when do we ever start rookies?

ejsteeler
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Tomlin=moron=no balls=fraud

:scratch: :whatever: