PDA

View Full Version : Other then the Steelers winning out here is what they need to get a wildcard spot...

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
As crazy as it sounds right now the Steelers have a realistic shot at the play-offs . The two teams they potentially are chasing are Denver and Jacksonville. Let's start with the Jags they have games left against Indy and at NE, and a pretty tough game this week at home against Miami. If they lose 2 of those 3 which is a strong possibillity and the Steelers win out we will have one more win then the Jags. This also applies to the Denver Broncos as well who have two very tough road games left at Indy this Sunday,and at Philly in 2 weeks. If they lose both of those they finish at 10-6 and if the Steelers win out they will win the head to head tiebraker over the Broncos since they did beat them on the Monday night in Denver. Also, if the Ravens lose tonight they would be in the same boat as the Dolphins for the Steelers to overtake them because we play both of them still head to head and can win both tiebrakers. The Jets are ahead of us too but they arent going 4-0 the rest of the way either seeing that they have games left with Atlanta,Indy,and Cincy so as long as they lose 1 more which they will the Jets arent a factor. Now you ask How do we win out ???

Beat Cleveland which probably sounds easier then it will be for sure. Have 10 days to get ready at home for GB. Troy will hopefully return and motivate the team and especially the defense for a desperate run . Next beat the Ravens here at home. It took them until overtime in their own house to beat our third string QB and without Troy . Then, take your chances in Miami the last week with everything on the line in beating a decent Dolphins team.

It might seem improbable....but it's not impossible. I know I have done this time and time again but like I keep saying on here until the Steelers lose in Cleveland on Thursday or are officially mathematically eliminated I will not throw in the towel on playoff chances no matter how many people on this board continue to say Im an idiot or smoking crack or whatever the case maybe. If the Steelers beat the Browns they will get help this week and still have a shot going into the Packers game on Dec 20th...

steelersbabex25
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
thank you.

I'm going to that GB game..hope it's a good one.

Goodfrom55
12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Again, Steelers control their own destiny. . .But do they "deserve" the opportunity to play as a #6 when they contunially play down to the level of their opponents (KC and OAK)? I hope they win out because football isn't football without the Steelers in the playoffs. Baltimore has to lose tonight, Steelers have to win out and hopefully the Jags will play Indy when it's still relevant and Indy won't play their JV team.

Shame on the Steelers though; they should have never allowed this situation to evolve.

V_83
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm not saying the Steelers won't make the playoffs, I'm just under the impression that once we get there, we won't go very far. Realistically I can't imagine us making the AFC championship let alone the Super Bowl.

Goodfrom55
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Stranger things have happened. . .The key is getting invited to the dance.

Steelers are on life support, but they still have a pulse.

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Again, Steelers control their own destiny. . .But do they "deserve" the opportunity to play as a #6 when they contunially play down to the level of their opponents (KC and OAK)? I hope they win out because football isn't football without the Steelers in the playoffs. Baltimore has to lose tonight, Steelers have to win out and hopefully the Jags will play Indy when it's still relevant and Indy won't play their JV team.

Shame on the Steelers though; they should have never allowed this situation to evolve.

The Colts play the two teams the Steelers need to lose the next 2 weeks in Denver and a game next Thursday night in Jacksonville. If the Colts beat the Broncos in Indy this Sunday they will clinch the number 1 seed in the playoffs and homefield advantage. With that being said, I highly doubt that they are going to sit people for that Jags game the following Thursday being a division rival and just all the circumstances around it. I think the Jags are going to lose to Miami this Sunday anyway which would help the Steelers as well. Here is the simplest scenario for the Steelers to reach the playoffs they obviously of course need to win out and finish 10-6. They need the Ravens to lose tonight in Green Bay, the Jets to lose at least one of their remaining 4 games which they definitely will seeing that they play Atlanta,Indy,and the Bengals 3 of their last 4 games,and for either the Broncos or Jags to lose 2 of their 4 remaining games. The Broncos have games left at Indy,Oakland,at Philly,and KC. While the Jags have home games left with Miami and Indy and road games left at New England and at Cleveland. One of those two teams speaking of the Broncos and Jags will definitely lose 2 of their 4 remaining games looking at both their remaining schedules.

Dako
12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Let's just shoot for winning a game or two before worrying about will they make the playoffs....

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Stranger things have happened. . .The key is getting invited to the dance.

Steelers are on life support, but they still have a pulse.

Yes they do still have a pulse for sure. With that being said, as optimistic as I am with these scenarios and what not if the Steelers lose to the Browns on Thursday night even I will come on here and tell you that no matter what they do the last 3 games they will not get in the playoffs. If they beat the Browns though Im telling you things will get interesting going into the Packers game on December 20th. The Steelers will get help I believe this Sunday like I just mentioned in the other post seeing who the Jags and Broncos play this week and in the upcoming weeks, but first and foremost they need to help themselves by staying alive and beating the Browns Thursday night.

Steel Trap86
12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Well the playoffs have already started for the Steelers this Thursday night against the Browns, a game we will win, and then have 10 days to prepare for a good Packers team.

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Well the playoffs have already started for the Steelers this Thursday night against the Browns, a game we will win, and then have 10 days to prepare for a good Packers team.

A good Packers team hopefully with Troy Polamalu back in the lineup which could give the Steelers a big boost on defense especially with a few extra days to prepare. The Browns game is still not a gimmie though Steel. If the Steelers let the Browns hang around in this game like they let the Chiefs and Raiders do for the longest time in both of those games they have a more then realistic chance of losing this game in Cleveland Thursday night. The Steelers MUST put this game away early in Cleveland or Im telling you right now their odds of losing this game increase a great deal. This Steelers team cannot afford to go into the 4th quarter only up 3 or 4 points on the Browns knowing what they have done all year blowing leads late and seeing how fragile their confidence is.

SteelerRush
12-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I like your optimism and I will be rooting for our team I just hope Tomlin benches the right starters. I for one don't think Ike should be benched, he just needs Troy back. I won't predict we will beat the browns because I have no confidence in our coaching staff right now. Arians needs to let BB throw the ball and the O-line needs to step up the pass protection. We need our offense right now to carry us to victory because they cannot rely on the defense to win games anymore. :popcorn::thinking:

steelerschick1220
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
So, our main competition for the wildcard is Denver, Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Miami???? I think Baltimore will lose tonight and to us again putting them at 9-7, so I don't think that ill get them in. I don't think Jax will get in either as they have three tough games left. So it will be between us, Denver, and Miami. Be pretty cool if the game in Miami decided who gets to go.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2009, 12:28 AM
43 you always do quality work with these threads man and your right if everything works out....Its just at this point with how this team has blown 4th quarter leads all season I can't buy into this team making the play-offs....I hope I'm wrong....I always enjoy the play-offs but I the type of fan that always looks at the long term....Missing the play-offs and only winning 6-7 games improves our draft pick....lol So either way I will be pleased....lol

scott0326
12-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Well the Ravens losing makes the last spot for the wild card WIDE open.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2009, 08:57 AM
The Ratbirds losing last night helped us out alot, and the fact that AFCN so up and down each week, anybody can get anything right up until the charts say they are eliminated. Do I think the Steelers will, well I used to think that but after losing 4 in a row, all I think now is how bad can they screw up the next game that they "should" win.

Great breakdown as always 43 :hail:

floodcitygirl
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks 43! Where there's a will...... right?! Lets see what happens Thursday. :tt02:

KRAZYRIDE
12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
We pretty much determine our destiny now because if we win out and beat Miami and The ravens then we knock them both out. the only thing we need is Jax to loose 2 games.

Win Out
Jax loose 2

Richmond Rukus
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Is anyone watching the same team I am. The team that just lost to Oakland, at home, with their playoff lives on the line. What has anyone seen that makes them believe this team is capable of running the table. We are just not a very good team right now. Individually, yes, very talented, but not as a team. We will most likely miss the playoffs, and to be honest, we don't deserve a playoff berth the way we've been playing.

75Steeler
12-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Is anyone watching the same team I am. The team that just lost to Oakland, at home, with their playoff lives on the line. What has anyone seen that makes them believe this team is capable of running the table. We are just not a very good team right now. Individually, yes, very talented, but not as a team. We will most likely miss the playoffs, and to be honest, we don't deserve a playoff berth the way we've been playing.

I agree with Richmond. So what if we do make it in by the skin of our teeth. Then we go down in a blaze of not so much glory just like we have in the last 4 games and we become even more of the laughing stock of the NFL. I think we should play out the remainder of this season and try not to get anyone seriously injured. Go into the off season and rebuild. We will have Smith and Troy back healthy on D next season. We can hopefully pick up some talent in the draft and develop the young talent we already have. Tomlin can cut the fat and come back in 2010 with his team not one built by Cowher. Then we can put those comments to rest. Maybe Ben can put this bullshit lawsuit to bed (no pun intended) and we can win some football games.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
THe Fat lady may be warming up for the STEELERS but she ain't singing yet... that being said I beleive just about everyone on here agrees that the STEELERS play to the level of their opponents soooo IF they do make the playoffs and do the same, they could make some noise there. Me personally would rather make the playoffs and see what happens then put my hope into a draft pick ...:2cents: ya can call me a homer but I ain't giving up the ship til I hear that fat lady singing!!

ejsteeler
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope it works out for us and that last game in Miami will be important...since I'll be there. :yesnod:
Either way, I will be rooting for our boys. :cope:

igor0190
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL IT'S OVER!!!

Hypothetically if the Steelers get their act together. A big IF....
But if they do, and win 4 straight that would make them a very HOT team going into the playoffs. To win 4 straight you have to be playing good football!

Nice to finally see a positive post.

TampaSteelGirl
12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Great senario Thanks! Doesn't look impossible but we really need to win every game from now on. Need to not look ahead but look one game at a time till we are officially in or out...I like the odds though but then again, if we don't start playing Steelers football none of that will matter. If we can just get thru the Browns game this week with a big W, Troy will be back for the next 3 and we should hopefully have a better chance. :yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/8/2009 at 12:27 PM ---

I hope it works out for us and that last game in Miami will be important...since I'll be there. :yesnod:
Either way, I will be rooting for our boys. :cope:

I'll be there too!!!! Where are you staying?

Danger DANJ
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Why is everyone saying we don't deserve to be in the playoffs?! As far as I'm concerned, Miami, Jacksonville, Baltimore and Denver haven't proven they deserve it any more than we do. All of our losses have been close games. Even though there have been serious collapses at the end of games, we could definitely be undefeated right now. If not for all the injuries (and BA), we could easily be at least 9-3. I refuse to give up. If any of the next 4 teams beat us, then perhaps we do deserve to miss the playoffs, but until that happens...

coldrolled
12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Great senario Thanks! Doesn't look impossible but we really need to win every game from now on. Need to not look ahead but look one game at a time till we are officially in or out...I like the odds though but then again, if we don't start playing Steelers football none of that will matter. If we can just get thru the Browns game this week with a big W, Troy will be back for the next 3 and we should hopefully have a better chance. :yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/8/2009 at 12:27 PM ---

I'll be there too!!!! Where are you staying?

Me too!

Have tickets from one of the players. Will be in the Steelers family and friends section.

Hope we are at 9-6 that day...

Moondog
12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Why is everyone saying we don't deserve to be in the playoffs?! As far as I'm concerned, Miami, Jacksonville, Baltimore and Denver haven't proven they deserve it any more than we do. All of our losses have been close games. Even though there have been serious collapses at the end of games, we could definitely be undefeated right now. If not for all the injuries (and BA), we could easily be at least 9-3. I refuse to give up. If any of the next 4 teams beat us, then perhaps we do deserve to miss the playoffs, but until that happens...

Yeah really, if the Steelers win out and the chips fall where they get a wild card, of course they deserve it..it's as simple as that. :tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
The same people that are saying they are done and have no chance to make it will all be watching and jumping back on the wagon if the Steelers do happen to grab one of those 2 remaining wildcard spots. Watching the Packers and Ravens last night the way both of those teams played they dont look like world beaters by any stretch. I think with the return of Troy,and having 10 days to prepare for the Packers and the game being a late game at 415 it will really give the Steelers a legit chance of winning that game against the Packers. First and foremost gotta take care of business in 2 days against the Browns then we can move on and focus on this weekend's games and then Green Bay next Sunday...

--- Added 12/8/2009 at 02:58 PM ---

We pretty much determine our destiny now because if we win out and beat Miami and The ravens then we knock them both out. the only thing we need is Jax to loose 2 games.

Win Out
Jax loose 2

They need the Jets to lose one game as well and either Denver or Jacksonville to lose 2 out of their final 4 games. Both of their schedules are very tough as well and so is the Jets schedule for that matter they still have the Bengals and Colts left. Still a big big IF but if the Steelers win out there is no doubt in my mind that enough things will fall their way that they will make the playoffs...

SteelerSteve
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey if we make it to the playoffs i wont be worried. As long as there is no 4-12 teams to beat us. I think we can beat good teams, not the lousy ones lol

TheButt
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper or rainin on any parades... But the Stillers are not going to win out. Of course I want them to. But they are not. I will hope and pray they do. But I think its going to be a sad Christmas this year.

If we beat the Rats next game I'll be happy. It will most certainly put them out of the playoffs as well.

I think we beat the Browns.. Green Bay .. and the Rats. But in Miami we lose.

JMO.

LarryNJ
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
They are certainly capable of winning out and making the playoffs. The Eagles were in a similar position last year in fact they needed the Raiders to win on the last day of the season, 3 weeks later they were a couple minutes from the SB.

Stlrs4Life
12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
This is pretty neat:

Playoff generator:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

ejsteeler
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
This is pretty neat:

Playoff generator:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

that is cool, thanks

Steel Trap86
12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I got us playing the Bungals, that's all I want to see, is the Steelers knock out the Bengals and shut there bitch *** fans up. My season would be complete then.

Phenomenal TJ
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
We were all calling last week a must win for the team. All saying that the playoffs started then.

Let's keep the dream alive.

Richmond Rukus
12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
The same people that are saying they are done and have no chance to make it will all be watching and jumping back on the wagon if the Steelers do happen to grab one of those 2 remaining wildcard spots.

Calling realistic fans out as band wagon fans will bite you in the *** more times than not. It should of read like this. When we lose our next game, because there is no doubt this team will, the homers will come to the realization that this team just isn't that good.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
uh, what's the fn point.

steel-tex
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA --- A PLAYOFF SPOT !!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Stairwayto7
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM
we just lost to 4 of the worst teams in football, does that put us at 32 in the Power Rankings?

Danger DANJ
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow. I never thought it would end like this. It's one thing to lose to the worst team in football, but to lose to them because the whole team (except the kickers) gave up and had no fight in them whatsoever, is outrageous! Everyone should be docked a games pay except the kickers. I'm really starting to wonder if there might be some BS going on behind the scenes that is tearing the team apart.

BlackGold4vr
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
They are certainly capable of winning out and making the playoffs. The Eagles were in a similar position last year in fact they needed the Raiders to win on the last day of the season, 3 weeks later they were a couple minutes from the SB.

Please pass the crackpipe because I want some of that euphoria you are feeling. I have been a faithful Steeler fan now for 35 years. Cheering for them through the good seasons as well as the bad. Taking the rose colored glasses off to get a look at reality is not abandoning your team. At this point in the season, losing out would be what is best for the FUTURE of the team. It would get us better picks in every round of the draft next year. This season is over and I say that in the kindest and gentlest way. I love my Steelers but this aint there year and repeat was not in the cards. Now we need to get busy re-evaluating this team and what it will take to fix it so that we can compete NEXT year. I am not off the Steeler wagon. I am trying to keep it from running over the fans who can't see the wagon about to run over their asses. :yesnod:

Blazedby92
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
we just lost to 4 of the worst teams in football, does that put us at 32 in the Power Rankings?

Yeah unless there is a #33 spot

Please pass the crackpipe because I want some of that euphoria you are feeling. I have been a faithful Steeler fan now for 35 years. Cheering for them through the good seasons as well as the bad. Taking the rose colored glasses off to get a look at reality is not abandoning your team. At this point in the season, losing out would be what is best for the FUTURE of the team. It would get us better picks in every round of the draft next year. This season is over and I say that in the kindest and gentlest way. I love my Steelers but this aint there year and repeat was not in the cards. Now we need to get busy re-evaluating this team and what it will take to fix it so that we can compete NEXT year. I am not off the Steeler wagon. I am trying to keep it from running over the fans who can't see the wagon about to run over their asses. :yesnod:

:lol::plus1: