PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin or Wisenhunt?

steelers40xl
12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
After almost 3 seasons was Tomlin the right choice or should they have hired Wisenhunt,I'm starting to think Tomlins success is just a result of him taking over a team Cowher built!:helmet:

Goodfrom55
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Tomlin is a good coach, but he is over-coaching right now. he just needs to let his guys go play. However, to that point, I do agree that the Secondary should sit down because they suck. One of the best front 6's in football AND BAR NONE, THE WORST secondary in football (troy notwithstanding).

LatrobePA
12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
After almost 3 seasons was Tomlin the right choice or should they have hired Wisenhunt,I'm starting to think Tomlins success is just a result of him taking over a team Cowher built!:helmet:

Are you serious??? Did Whiz win the big one last year? NO!

Please go back and delete this please B4 a lot of people see it!

Tomlin will right this ship and haters will be back on his sack!

steelers40xl
12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm just saying it seems like they lack the motivation and toughness from game to game ,And believe me i hope your right !

coldrolled
12-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Wisenhut calls the plays not the OC

let Tomlin call the plays and then compare them.

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Let's see how he finishes the season guys...Even a win against pathetic Cleveland could do them some good because at this point all they need to do is get a win and they will at least gain a little bit more confidence back. As bad as these losses have been to the Chiefs and the Raiders this team can still right the ship these last 4 games if they just beat the pathetic Browns on Thursday and then get Troy back and a few other guys for the Green Bay game with 10 days to prepare...

steelers40xl
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
And no he didn't win the big game thankfully, but what was arizona before he got there?Look I,m not saying Tomlin isnt a good coach , it just seems to that they lack the fire Arizona seems to have.

75Steeler
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Tomlin was the right choice then and he is the right choice now. The Rooneys knew what they were doing when they hired him.

beaver688
12-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Tomlin was the right choice then and he is the right choice now. The Rooneys knew what they were doing when they hired him.

I don't think so and never did you will see and I will never be on his wagon.

Steel Trap86
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
This question was already answered last season when the Steelers beat the Cardinals in the Superbowl. Now all of a sudden Tomlin is on a 4 game slide and Whisenhunt beats the Vikings so we should have hired him? lol you guys are too much. If Drew Brees hurt his shoulder on a play and Rex Grossman came in and threw a 45 yd. touchdown would you start Rex after? Tomlin has a playoff appearance and a Superbowl victory in his first 2 seasons and while we may all think this season is done, The Steelers don't and playoffs are still a slim possibility and even if this team finishes 9-7 it is still considered a winning season. We're not winning the ****ing Superbowl every year man stop whining!

beaver688
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
This question was already answered last season when the Steelers beat the Cardinals in the Superbowl. Now all of a sudden Tomlin is on a 4 game slide and Whisenhunt beats the Vikings so we should have hired him? lol you guys are too much. If Drew Brees hurt his shoulder on a play and Rex Grossman came in and threw a 45 yd. touchdown would you start Rex after? Tomlin has a playoff appearance and a Superbowl victory in his first 2 seasons and while we may all think this season is done, The Steelers don't and playoffs are still a slim possibility and even if this team finishes 9-7 it is still considered a winning season. We're not winning the ****ing Superbowl every year man stop whining!

Its not wineing its all about AFIRMATIVE ACTION AGAIN

Zachintosh66
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
i think were jumping off the deep end now...

SteelerRush
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree. Tomlin is not the issue. We don't have anyone of our team leaders stepping up and calling out team only meetings with the defense or offense. We don't have anyone like Peezy or Foote walking the side lines and getting people fired up with pride to go out and make plays. That is what is missing from this team no fire and no leadership.

SteelCityKid5
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I wont even get started

SteelerRush
12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I got off track Tomlin or Whiz. I still think Tomlin is the better choice and we'll see what he does to motivate the team.

franchise3
12-07-2009, 10:29 PM

If someone says that 9-7 is a winning season one more time I am going to scream. How can people be so content is unbelievable. World Champions with the hardest schedule going 9-7 the next year with the easiest schedule??? Stop sugaring the team and admit that this season is a disaster, they played horribly, 95% of them underperformed on an individual basis.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Exactly, take a step back from the cliff everyone or atleast grab a spare parachute before you jump. There's no guarantee Whiz would have won us the super bowl last year; clearly Tomlin inherited the more talented team overall but give Whiz credit for turning that franchise around in a hurry.

Nobody is ready to fire Tomlin yet, but he needs to earn his paycheck now and lead this team in the face of adversity. If anything, Tomlin is under coaching, not over coaching. Just letting these guys play has gotten them exactly where they are now. He needs to step in and make game plan adjustments, shake up the roster, and get these guys asses in gear.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Its not wineing its all about AFIRMATIVE ACTION AGAIN

ARE u for real? :evilshake:man some Steeler fans are worse than the trolls that come on here...

Stlrs4Life
12-07-2009, 11:41 PM
It's not Tomlin, it's lack of execution on the players part. And no heart.

beaver688
12-08-2009, 12:21 AM
ARE u for real? :evilshake:man some Steeler fans are worse than the trolls that come on here...

Yes I'm for real and I was from the begining he didn't deserve the job there were much better out there at the time it was real bull s--- I like to see if you were on that end to see what you would say

K Train
12-08-2009, 12:41 AM
lmao

everyone second guesses EVERYTHING when everything isnt sunshine and fields of daisys for this team

whisenhunt is not a good gameplanner, he fell into the most talented offense and a defense with great potential, cowher was not a good coach, one down year is not all doom and gloom, if tomlin was riding cowhers coat tails, he would have taken 14 more years to win the superbowl

Prosdo
12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
if tomlin was riding cowhers coat tails, he would have taken 14 more years to win the superbowl

lol Nice point K. Come on people calm down. What this comes down to is the players. They are not executing as I believe was mentioned in this thread. They lack the determination and effort to put the game away in the fourth quarter.

K Train
12-08-2009, 02:04 AM
he needs to not be afraid to fire arians though, ive been ok with arians for a while but hes hit a wall i gave him a chance to get better like coaches should

scott0326
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
We won a super bowl with Tomlin, would we of won with Wisenhunt? Who knows, I wouldn't want to go back in time to switch coaches considering we just won a super bowl last year, its amazing how fast people forgot.

NCSteeler
12-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Tomlin is a good coach, but he is over-coaching right now. he just needs to let his guys go play. However, to that point, I do agree that the Secondary should sit down because they suck. One of the best front 6's in football AND BAR NONE, THE WORST secondary in football (troy notwithstanding).

I could not disagree more. Tomlin is under coaching. The problems that are showing up are coach related. Players being unprepared, unmotivated and no changes being made.
He has taken a very hands off year with this veteran team and I think they are paying the price, for his easier TC, easier weekly practices. I have a feeling we are going to see an end to the hands off approach .

As to the OP, I'd still take Tomlin over Whiz. I think Whiz also inherited a very talented team. With out doing a lot of homework, I think the AZ Cards have more of the same players he inherited then Tomlin has here.

--- Added 12/8/2009 at 01:21 AM ---

It's not Tomlin, it's lack of execution on the players part. And no heart.

Execution comes from proper practice and heart comes from motivation, both are the coaches job. I think Tomlin should take some blame for this. I still think he is a good young coach who is still learning.

--- Added 12/8/2009 at 01:25 AM ---

he needs to not be afraid to fire arians though, ive been ok with arians for a while but hes hit a wall i gave him a chance to get better like coaches should

I'm not a huge Arians hater. I doubt he goes anytime soon, because of his relationship with Ben,but we have been terrible in the RZ ever since he took over. Tonight they were talking about GBs goal line play design where they motioned the TE out of the back field and could easily see they had a guy on him that couldn't cover. I don't see much of this from BA, I don't think I see much game planning from BA period. I think he writes his offense up and says hey this is what we are going to run this week, irregardless of matchup. That is a problem.

LarryNJ
12-08-2009, 07:56 AM
lmao

everyone second guesses EVERYTHING when everything isnt sunshine and fields of daisys for this team

whisenhunt is not a good gameplanner, he fell into the most talented offense and a defense with great potential, cowher was not a good coach, one down year is not all doom and gloom, if tomlin was riding cowhers coat tails, he would have taken 14 more years to win the superbowl

:plus1:

I like the comment someone made in another thread that we should hire Gruden. :lol:

Blazedby92
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Thank you, Latrobe, Coach T has a mediocre season and everybody wants to kill him wow what fan base we have here, You people were licking his ball sack a few months ago and now he is a fraud. Maybe you should start cheering for the stains.:cursin::willybs:

UKSTEELER
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I wasn't big on Whiz getting the job, and was glad when Tomlin got it.

In an ideal world Tomlin would have been an offensive genius, we already have Dick at DC, but you can't have everything.

Mike's won the SB, his energy and enthusiasm inspired us last season.

This season has been tough, but he's been let down, by poor play-calling on both sides of the ball, let down by sub par play by numerous players and key injuries to the defense haven't helped.

Mike and the office need to fire Arians, if he keeps faith with Arians, I really will begin to question his thinking though!

Go Steelers!:cope:

Sir Blitzelot
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
This is a ridiculous topic. To the guy who started this thread, last year after Tomlin won the Super Bowl, I bet you were the biggest Tomlin supporter in the world. And now that the Steelers are on this four-game slide, you are questioning whether or not he was the right choice... unbelievable. :evilshake:

Miller83
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
that's such NONSENSE! Tomlin got more out of the same group of guys last year that, basically, the core guys, Cowher had for 5 or 6 years or better, other than when they won SB40. Cowher's team the majority of the time underacheived in the playoffs, except for twice, and the only reason Tomlin didn't go further in his first season was because of injuries on defense and a poor secondary that Cowher drafted! :tt02:

coldrolled
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not a huge Arians hater. I doubt he goes anytime soon, because of his relationship with Ben,but we have been terrible in the RZ ever since he took over. Tonight they were talking about GBs goal line play design where they motioned the TE out of the back field and could easily see they had a guy on him that couldn't cover. I don't see much of this from BA, I don't think I see much game planning from BA period. I think he writes his offense up and says hey this is what we are going to run this week, irregardless of matchup. That is a problem.

The pittsburgh news is really soft on arians, they almost ignore him..

heres a byte posted .............. by Brian McIntyre

In case you've been living under a rock the last week, much has been made about Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger not playing last Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens.

Roethlisberger experienced some post-concussion symptoms following a knee to the head during the Steelers' overtime loss to the Kansas City Chiefs the week before, and in conjunction with the team's medical and coaching staff, the decision was made to sit Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger's teammate, Hines Ward, publicly questioned Roethlisberger's decision to sit, claiming that the locker room was split on the decision. Ward would apologize for his comments, which Roethlisberger said hurt his feelings.

Today, Roethlisberger is playing against the Oakland Raiders, and on a 4th-and-1 play from the Raiders' 4-yard line, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called for...a quarterback sneak.

Roethlisberger took the snap, and gingerly proceeded forwarded, coming up a few inches short of the first down.

With so much focus on head injuries, including the NFL instituting a new in-game concussion policy just this week, it was a questionable decision by the Steelers to send Roethlisberger on a QB sneak this soon after his head injury. That the 6-5, 240-pound quarterback appeared unenthusiastic to execute the play, I'm guessing he feels the same way.

Richmond Rukus
12-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Posts like this are exactly why I left the OSMB (Official Steelers Message Board) years ago.

sean19
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Tomlin is the head coach and i bet you were happy when the steelers made it to the superbowl and what coach did they beat? Tomlin is a better coach the defense is just playing like ****.

kgreen
12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Who won the Super Bowl last year?

HUNT4SEVEN
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you, Latrobe, Coach T has a mediocre season and everybody wants to kill him wow what fan base we have here, You people were licking his ball sack a few months ago and now he is a fraud. Maybe you should start cheering for the stains.:cursin::willybs:

:haha::hehheh::clap: I couldn't of said it better THANK YOU:clap:

franchise3
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM

This season stopped being mediocre after the loss to KC...

ejsteeler
12-08-2009, 01:07 PM
a 4 game skid is cause for concern, yes. It is not cause for replacing a HC though. Tomlin is still the same good HC he was after the SB win and we were 6-2 this year. Things have slipped for sure, but lets see what he makes of them this year and next before we crucify him. If we look like this after next year, then I might be concerned.

LatrobePA
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
This season stopped being mediocre after the loss to KC...

You guys want to know what will cure all this crazy talk???
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

A F'N WIN!!

TampaSteelGirl
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Posts like this are exactly why I left the OSMB (Official Steelers Message Board) years ago.

I think it's pretty obvious by just reading the posts in this thread, that everybody here is in agreement that Tomlin was the right guy for the job over Whis.

igor0190
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Totally agree! This post is a waste of space.

I do on the other hand wish we still had Whiz as our O-coordinator. Although that obviously was not possible.

SteelCityKid5
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe I will. The Steelers went outside of the organization, which I thank them dearly for, in hiring Tomlin. They needed a change. If Whiz took over, I doubt Woodley, Mendenhall, Timmons, Fox, Moore or Wallace would all be here. I liked the change and still do. Tomlin knows what he's doing and proved that last year. Just remember this, if you think you know what it takes to coach in the NFL, you have no fn clue.

Also, I read something about motivation somewhere in regards to execution. You don't think a statement like "unleash hell" wouldnt motivate a group? I've heard time and time again over the years how as professional atheltes, you motivate yourself. Hines said it last year.

All in all, the players have to execute or how did Tomlin say it, oh yes, "make a play". They aren't doing that this year and their 6-6 record reflects that.

steelers40xl
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
If my question regarding Tomlin is so crazy to some of you then dont take the time to respond to it ! what some of you have opinions and other who question that opinion are ridiculous , first of all i wasnt bashing Tomlin, i simply was asking a question to get other opinions!So let me say im sorry to all those i offended what i really meant to say was Tomlin is the greatest coach since vince lombardi and in three years every decision he has made has been genuis ! And i totally agree that the afirmitive action comment wasnt needed!

ejsteeler
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
:popcorn:

steelers40xl
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I once again want to say I'm sorry about questioning Mike (unleash hell) Tomlin i should have waited to ask my question ! he is just a fraud ! How can you expect him to lead a team he's balling like a bitch!!!!! Simply embarrassing! well he did make changes,they took it to a whole other level, what a f-ing JOKE!!!!

Phenomenal TJ
12-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I like Tomlin, don't get me wrong.

But the best move he's made as Head Coach was retaining Dick LeBeau.

They both need to quit calling plays based on injuries and play like Smith and Polamalu are still out there. Our defense has gotten too tight and the players don't thrive in that sort of environment. Call the random blitzes, do something.