PDA

View Full Version : Hire Mel Blount or Rod Woodson for Secondary

weidnerr
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
We have two of the alltime great D-Backs. Hire Blount or Woodson to work with our secondary. They both know you have to see the ball to intercept and if the potential isn't there they can groom the younger guys. We got too many D-Backs that can't catch.

Blazedby92
12-07-2009, 10:31 AM
We have two of the alltime great D-Backs. Hire Blount or Woodson to work with our secondary. They both know you have to see the ball to intercept and if the potential isn't there they can groom the younger guys. We got too many D-Backs that can't catch.

That's why they have a DB by their name and not WR. It's not a necessity for a DB, it's definitly a bonus. I agree they should catch the ball but if they can get their hands on it then they are doing their job.

Scorp
12-07-2009, 10:35 AM
That's why the vets usually start and the rooks sit back and watch and learn. Do they really do that? Or do they just want to play. Don't forget to bring in Mean joe greene and Jack Ham. Hell, just bring in the original Steel Curtain. We got the rest of the regular season and the entire off season to get it together.

LatrobePA
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Get Sweed out there!

playboy pryor
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
maybe that would help if Blount or Woodson came to help out!! i believe its our playcalling on defense thats hurting us! we have to put some pressure on the QB. our defense made Gradkowski look like Elway! why we can't put pressure on him like the Cheifs did Big Ben in the 4th quater. (the last drive of the game)

JensK
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Get Sweed out there!

This! Make Sweed play DB - He get his hands on the ball all the time, just seems to drop it, but even that is an upgrade over our DBs right now - they don't even get their hands on the ball ^^

LatrobePA
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
My wife can bake some damn good cookies using the proper ingredients but when she adds in dog **** they taste like dog ****! Point being, we donít have the proper ingredients to make a good secondary so all the hall a fame X players will not help!

Ibleedblk&gld
12-07-2009, 11:07 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing sweed as a DB...just to see what happens

our season is all but done, try tyrone carter at PR/KR...just for shits and giggles

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
maybe that would help if Blount or Woodson came to help out!! i believe its our playcalling on defense thats hurting us! we have to put some pressure on the QB. our defense made Gradkowski look like Elway! why we can't put pressure on him like the Cheifs did Big Ben in the 4th quater. (the last drive of the game)

It's not the play calling on defense, Lebeau is calling the same crazy 34 blitzes he always has, but the players are not executing. Just watch Harrison and Wood, they aren't getting the consistent pressure we're used to seeing them get. The fire x blitzes they run with them middle linebackers aren't working either because both Timmons and Farrior are either getting caught up in a log jam of offensive line blocking, or they are just flat out missing the tackle because they get through but over pursue the play.

BR7
12-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Woodson/Blount although being good in their time doesn't necessarily equate to being a good coach. Don't hear of too many people beating down Montana's door to be a QB coach, Sanders for a RB coach.. etc etc. They don't need coaching.. they need skills. Ike has none and Gay has even less than that. Carter may as well just park a lawn chair on the 50 and watch people run by him.

coldrolled
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
It's not the play calling on defense, Lebeau is calling the same crazy 34 blitzes he always has, but the players are not executing. Just watch Harrison and Wood, they aren't getting the consistent pressure we're used to seeing them get. The fire x blitzes they run with them middle linebackers aren't working either because both Timmons and Farrior are either getting caught up in a log jam of offensive line blocking, or they are just flat out missing the tackle because they get through but over pursue the play.

Maybe the offense should buy the defense some fancy helmuts that have auto feed oxygen tanks built in.

if we would have scored 7 more points a game early we would have won a few more.
if we would have scored 14 more points early against the real crappy teams we lost too
the defense wouldnt have to do or die on every play till the end of each game.

geez, they had one easy game 31-0 against the browns last year...

the other 30 games they played in the last 2 years were like war zones, do or die to the end of each game for them.

we probably just wore the defense out physically and mentally over the last 2 years.

the mental part hit this year.

JensK
12-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Cant say i agree here. Harrison is destroying everything atm. Seriously, he disrupts more plays than any player i could ever think of, even Troy. He can't really help that he is getting hold on pretty much every single play. Woodley is getting decent preasure, but he is not going to get as many sacks when he is pulled back into coverage. Timmons have been lights out so far imo. Yes, he missed some tackles here and there, but he is so fast, and he starts to play the run pretty good too. Farrior have already been discussed, so im not going to get into that.

LatrobePA
12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd like to see Fox in there more over 51...

weidnerr
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Looks like Fox will indeed get more playing time this week. Ike needs to sit along with Gay, Hampton, Carter......even Limas Sweed will get more playing time with Ward out.

Zachintosh66
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Great d-backs dont always make good coaches. Id prefer they hire someone who has a clue not just a name.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Cant say i agree here. Harrison is destroying everything atm. Seriously, he disrupts more plays than any player i could ever think of, even Troy. He can't really help that he is getting hold on pretty much every single play. Woodley is getting decent preasure, but he is not going to get as many sacks when he is pulled back into coverage. Timmons have been lights out so far imo. Yes, he missed some tackles here and there, but he is so fast, and he starts to play the run pretty good too. Farrior have already been discussed, so im not going to get into that.

Harrison being held is nothing new, that's been the case for the last 3 years now atleast. When he and Wood actually get to the QB they are making the plays but if you watch they are inconsistent here of late and that's never good. Farrior & Timmons, I don't know how many times I saw their blitzes get completely eaten up by the offensive line blocking, and how many times did they completely overrun the play and get caught up trying to chase down the ball carrier or be a step behind on pass coverage. It's just little things like that, that we aren't used to seeing with this defense. All those little things, and the problems with the DB's being able to cover at all, just all crash together to make the train wreck that our defense has become over this last month and really most of the year.

Goodfrom55
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Those guys get great pressure off the edge. What we lack is a push up the middle. If we has a push up the middle, the QB's would have nowhere to step up, and get destroyed by Woody and Harrison. On the last play where Grakowsi threw the TD to Murphy, there was pressure from the edges, but Kiesel and Hood were just standing there. OK, if it was Vick at QB, I could see the need for 2 guys to spy...but Grakowsi? not so much. . .he stepped up, avoided the pressure and delivered the winning TD.

LarryNJ
12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Very seldom a great player makes a great coach so I don't think Woodson or Blount would help.

If you look back to 2006 the Steelers were ranked 20th in pass defense, the next year they were 3rd, 2 years later they were 1st. I believe this was because of Tomlin. He made his name being a DB coach and has been very succesful over the years doing it. So what happened this year? I'm really not sure, well I don't think anybody is. I don't like using injury's as an excuse but they have played a big part along with maybe a little bit of over confidence/ Super Bowl hangover and of course Troy being on Madden!