PDA

View Full Version : Ever think of running the ball after the 2 minute warning?

Stairwayto7
12-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I wanted to, I thought for sure we would, at least once, that would have been a gauranteed 35 seconds off the clock, or it would have forced them to use thier last timeout.

When Ben dropped back for the Ward TD, I screamed NO, lets run some clock out!

This has to go on the coaching staff, at least that last 2 minutes.

DanRooney
12-06-2009, 04:51 PM
If a D (secondary) can't hold the Raiders out of the endzone with less than 2 minutes left and a timeout, they shouldn't be allowed to play the game.

Our DBs gave us a pure comedic performance on the last two drives. Gardowski just throwing jump balls in the air and our DBs just looked confused and scared shitless. These were poorly thrown high balls. Floaters. Steelers DBs are an embarrassment to the NFL. If i was Troy I would go on IR instead of trying to play with these clowns.

Moondog
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Who was that? Burnett? C'mon man, you've got to make that interception! Damn!

EDIT: 88 yards in a little less than two minutes is what the Raiders had to do. There's a time when I wouldn't even sweat it because the D always made the clutch play....wow, things have changed.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-06-2009, 05:05 PM

True if JB get's that INT we would be having a different discussion right now........

steelerfan11
12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
At the same time you can't tell me that Ike or Gay would have made that pick. They can't catch anything...so JB just fits in with the rest of them. ooo and at least JB didn't fall down like Gay did for half the game.

SteelerRush
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I wanted to, I thought for sure we would, at least once, that would have been a gauranteed 35 seconds off the clock, or it would have forced them to use thier last timeout.

We needed a touchdown if ran the ball any closer we would not have had the room for Ward to pull the guys face mask and still make the catch. You should be asking why Jeff Reed only kicked the ball to the 25 yard line instead of kicking it deep or why we waited to be trailing in the game to open up our offense and throw the ball down field

Forged in Steel
12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

I was like, NO, don't be like Pitt from yesterday!

jpele
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
How about Hines Ward catching a pass and running out of bounds instead of laying down. This team has forgotten basic football under Tomlins' watch.

LatrobePA
12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Worst play called game in the 3 lousy years he's been doing it!!!

SteelCityKid5
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Im lost on where the offense came in the 4th quarter? Where was that all game? Frustrating season.

SteelFanInIL
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Im lost on where the offense came in the 4th quarter? Where was that all game? Frustrating season.

not just offense , but our defense didn't even show up ! the whole team looks like total crap lately. I love em' but I think we're done this year.

weidnerr
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
The coaching really sucked today. Run 1st and 2nd and pass on third. Even a sorry defense can defend that. Ran No time off at the end and gave Oakland more than enough time against our SORRY secondary. Burnett how can you drop that gift. It wasn't even a hard throw either. Pitiful 4 weeks in a row....

LatrobePA
12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
They were trying to protect Ben, but hey lets have him try a sneak on 4th and 1!! WTF was that crap???

SteelFanInIL
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
They were trying to protect Ben, but hey lets have him try a sneak on 4th and 1!! WTF was that crap???

Gee Mendenhall does well. . . How about handing off there ? It's just frustrating , the entire season . We just don't look like a very good team , let alone Super Bowl defending champs.

SteelCityKid5
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Correction: Where was that offense that showed up in the 4th quarter AND the defense? Once again, we lose to a lesser opponent in the 4th quarter. Bad execution.

Stairwayto7
12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
If a D (secondary) can't hold the Raiders out of the endzone with less than 2 minutes left and a timeout, they shouldn't be allowed to play the game.

Our DBs gave us a pure comedic performance on the last two drives. Gardowski just throwing jump balls in the air and our DBs just looked confused and scared shitless. These were poorly thrown high balls. Floaters. Steelers DBs are an embarrassment to the NFL. If i was Troy I would go on IR instead of trying to play with these clowns.

C`mon, I don`t care who are corners are, you run more time off the clock.

They do suck though!

weidnerr
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Any decent coach would have run some clock in that situation. I've seen running backs take a knee at the one yard line. Somebody did it to New England just to keep it out of Bradys hand. We are one of the worst teams in the league at clock management. Ben doesn't have a clue. He panics with two minutes left at the 10 yard line. Just a couple weeks ago he took a timeout with first and goal instead of running time off. It's totally embarassing we can't stop one of the worst teams in the league with 100 seconds to go. The game announcers have called Oakland the worst team in the league several times this year.

LarryNJ
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM

:plus1:

C`mon, I don`t care who are corners are, you run more time off the clock.

They do suck though!

The offenses job is to score a td and they did it. If we only needed a FG than you can milk the clock, you can't take a chance at not getting the TD. Maybe if the other team had a qb named Peyton, Brett, Drew, or Tom...but Bruce??? WTF...

BTW: It was a 7 play drive with 3 runs...if they ran it more and didn't score people would be freaking about that.

steelerschick1220
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
As happy as I was for the TD, I had this horrid feeling we didn't run emough time off the clock. Sucks to be right sometimes.

Two TD's in, what, the final eight minutes fo the 4th????? Seriously, where was that???? You just wait to the 4th to start playing????? Brillant. I want Arians gone like NOW. I really don't think that short of a win anything would make me happier. A monkey could call plays better then he does at times.

TampaSteelGirl
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Speaking of C'mon man.....I"m sure we'll be on it before Monday Night Football!! probably our entire game will be on it :yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/6/2009 at 09:13 PM ---

I was thinking the same thing..we needed to slow down, run the ball and burn some time off the clock after that last TD we got...I said there was WAY too much time on the clock!! :cursin:

Ambridge
12-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I would have rolled the dice and ran the ball just one more play.
The season has dictated to the Steelers (Particularly Tomlin) that they cannot protect leads late in the game regardless of who they're playing.
IMO that was a perfect situation where "Dragging your feet on offense" and bleeding the clock as dry as possible would have been the better move.

Stairwayto7
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
:plus1:

The offenses job is to score a td and they did it. If we only needed a FG than you can milk the clock, you can't take a chance at not getting the TD. Maybe if the other team had a qb named Peyton, Brett, Drew, or Tom...but Bruce??? WTF...

BTW: It was a 7 play drive with 3 runs...if they ran it more and didn't score people would be freaking about that.

BS :willybs:! On first down, they needed to run the ball, just once! The two minute warning was our enemy, Ben was in the no huddle calling his own plays, then the two minute warning and Bruce called the play. We I had a chance to run 40 seconds off the clock or make them use the TO. That 1:56 cost us!

Troyisabeast_43
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes I completely agree and I knew as soon as they scored there with 156 left that the way the defense had been playing in that 4th quarter and doing all season long that they were going to blow that game. You can almost see it coming anymore and it's absolutely a sick horrible feeling...