PDA

View Full Version : Dixon will break in half

coldrolled
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice confidence builder....

Earlier this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left open the possibility of quarterback Dennis Dixon seeing spot duty even after Ben Roethlisberger returns to the starting lineup.

When asked about that chance Thursday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "Absolutely zero because he's the backup, and we only have two in there."

Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Dixon scored on a 24-yard run in his first NFL start last Sunday.

The fourth-quarter play, Arians said, was designed to be a pass to Mewelde Moore. Dixon kept the ball following a fake handoff to wide receiver Mike Wallace since he had a clear path to the end zone.

Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

"I felt extremely confident that we were going to win that ballgame the other night with Dennis, and we should have," Arians said.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2009, 11:02 AM
So then what Tomlin said as far as limiting Dixon's roll out opportunities, or pocket movement plays, somewhat contradicts what Arians just said. Either way, it was quite obvious they limited him in the 1st quarter because all we did was run the first 3 series, but as the game went on they gave him more passing plays and then it all went to **** in the 2nd half.

Oh well, either way, having him run some wildcat stuff is definitely a bad idea since Charlie is gone for the new few weeks atleast. Perhaps after that, if Batch isn't put on IR, then you maybe consider maybe putting in some surprise stuff for the playoffs (if we make it).

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Funny how Mike Vick (similar size) never broke in half that season he ran over 120 times for 1000 yards. Seems like flawed logic.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
When you're starter is coming off a concussion and you're only other QB who has any experience with the team is backing him up; seems pretty straight forward to me. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to use Palko.

coldrolled
12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
When you're starter is coming off a concussion and you're only other QB who has any experience with the team is backing him up; seems pretty straight forward to me. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to use Palko.

Lets tell the other side we wont run or design a run play for dixon because he will break in half.

so now they can tee off and blitz on him in the pocket like ben gets his hits all day...

getting tee'd off on in the pocket wont get dixon broke in half...???

dixon reads this and has to be feeling like he is some kinda wimp ***.

and they thought ward on ben was a story.. arians has no , he runs a half cocked offense....

the logic of the whole article just tells you why we cant score 24+ points a game.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Fair enough, but Vick was the whole show in Atlanta that season. We all saw what happened to that team when they had to play without him. Just saying...Dixon's game seems to be better when he's allowed to use his legs...taking that away from him is safer, but it lessens his ability to make a big contribution on the field.

BlackGold4vr
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Fair enough, but Vick was the whole show in Atlanta that season. We all saw what happened to that team when they had to play without him. Just saying...Dixon's game seems to be better when he's allowed to use his legs...taking that away from him is safer, but it lessens his ability to make a big contribution on the field.

Entirely two different situations. Nobody is opposed to allowing Dixon to utilize his God given talents when he is called upon to do so. It is an entirely different situation to use him in sub packages to run a wildcat type of offense. You risk getting your ONLY back-up injured before ever even needing him. That would be dumb! Mike Vick was the starter and the offense was geared toward his running style of play. They didn't take him out for any plays to run the back-up in there. :yesnod:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Entirely two different situations. Nobody is opposed to allowing Dixon to utilize his God given talents when he is called upon to do so. It is an entirely different situation to use him in sub packages to run a wildcat type of offense. You risk getting your ONLY back-up injured before ever even needing him. That would be dumb! Mike Vick was the starter and the offense was geared toward his running style of play. They didn't take him out for any plays to run the back-up in there. :yesnod:

You can spin it however you want by saying they are two different circumstances (which we all agree they are). The bottom line is, to not take advantage of a guy's best assets for fear of injury is not a great way to be in the NFL. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers with 6-5 records need to play like there is no tomorrow.

75Steeler
12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't risk Dixon when Ben is in cause we all know we may need him. The way things are going in the league if ben complains once about a headache, even from a hangover they will bench him and claim it is from the concussion. Dixon took that Baltimore game into OT with very few mistakes and he looked good despite the loss. I think Batch is out of a job next year and Dixon will be the #2. Idon't think they would "break him in half" but no need to risk the injury.

:imho:

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Fins - Pat White, nuff said!

BA is to set in his ways! Not that I like the WCO but sometimes you gotta think outside the box!

coldrolled
12-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Fins - Pat White, nuff said!

BA is to set in his ways! Not that I like the WCO but sometimes you gotta think outside the box!

this is not about wildcat. we would never do that..

its about this line...

Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Get Charlie Weis this week....

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
this is not about wildcat. we would never do that..

its about this line...

Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Get Charlie Weis this week....

You don't want Charlie...take it from a broken hearted ND fan (with actual ties to South Bend)...Weis is just another failed Belicheat spinoff. You're going to hate me for saying it...but you guys should go after Brian Billick.

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
You don't want Charlie...take it from a broken hearted ND fan (with actual ties to South Bend)...Weis is just another failed Belicheat spinoff. You're going to hate me for saying it...but you guys should go after Brian Billick.

No we should of snagged Cam Cameron a day after he was released from Miami. Billick would work nicely in our "system" too, but we missed out with Cam...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
No we should of snagged Cam Cameron a day after he was released from Miami. Billick would work nicely in our "system" too, but we missed out with Cam...

Cam's been a nice pickup...some of the more fickle fans in Baltimore have been upset with his work as of late though. Billick probably got the short end of the stick in Baltimore. Getting saddled with Kyle Boller and no legit WR's for most of his time here. I think he'd be able to draw up some great stuff with all the weapons in the Steelers offense.

jpele
12-04-2009, 12:37 PM
but you guys should go after Brian Billick.

I would love to have Billick as our OC.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I would love to have Billick as our OC.

Between him and Tomlin...there would be no lack of confidence.

coldrolled
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

weis has 3 rings and plays his players to their strengths.

He attacks weakness on the defenses.

We have none of that right now. arians wont design run plays for a running QB or even an option for one???

Weis would be a plus.

ND will never have or pull all the players the big schools have. They are not in that market.. so dont blame weis. ND needs good grades too to play.

the ravens attacked Gay alot last week.. the ravens lost washington the starting CB, did we attack the rookie CB ever last week?? :banging::banging:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
weis has 3 rings and plays his players to their strengths.

He attacks weakness on the defenses.

We have none of that right now. arians wont design run plays for a running QB or even an option for one???

Weis would be a plus.

ND will never have or pull all the players the big schools have. They are not in that market.. so dont blame weis. ND needs good grades too to play.

the ravens attacked Gay alot last week.. the ravens lost washington the starting CB, did we attack the rookie CB ever last week?? :banging::banging:

I think you're attributing too much of the Pat's success to Charlie Weis...considering they've actually put up their most impressive offensive seasons since he left and all.

Not saying he's not an upgrade over Arians, but there are better candidates out there IMO.

You might want to check where ND's draft classes have ranked the last few years...top 10 if I recall correctly...so that argument really doesn't fly.

So you know Washington's loss has led to the emergence of Ladarius Webb...he's been getting a lot of time in at CB lately and is probably a better player than Washington...when Frank Walker covered a WR 1-on-1 they went after him.

jpele
12-04-2009, 01:05 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d814aa564/Playbook-Steelers-vs-Ravens-recap

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
When a starter is hurt and sitting out this team always has a way of making the back-up SHINE, good thing he didn't go that way, but also remember we had a first time starting QB in there...

coldrolled
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d814aa564/Playbook-Steelers-vs-Ravens-recap

quote from video;;

they gotto get dennis dixon out on the edge where he is comfortable.....

they is BA.. :banging::banging:

nuff said...

lloydfan4life
12-04-2009, 05:06 PM

I for one would not be too upset if we went after Billick. I hated him when he was head coach of your ratbirds, but I've listened to him quite a bit on the NFL Network lately and he impresses me. He certainly had a good offense in Minnesota and he's gotta be a huge improvement over the idiot we currently employ.

As far as Dennis and the comment about him being 'broken in half'... I don't remember him ever getting broken in half at Oregon. I'm not saying use him in the wildcat because I agree with all of the comments regarding having him injured, being our only viable backup at this point, but for crap sakes, I think the man can probably take a hit without being broken in half. Ariens is just a dipshit IMO.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I for one would not be too upset if we went after Billick. I hated him when he was head coach of your ratbirds, but I've listened to him quite a bit on the NFL Network lately and he impresses me. He certainly had a good offense in Minnesota and he's gotta be a huge improvement over the idiot we currently employ.

As far as Dennis and the comment about him being 'broken in half'... I don't remember him ever getting broken in half at Oregon. I'm not saying use him in the wildcat because I agree with all of the comments regarding having him injured, being our only viable backup at this point, but for crap sakes, I think the man can probably take a hit without being broken in half. Ariens is just a dipshit IMO.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes next year. I don't think he'll have that much luck on the head coach market and I think he'd like to stick it to the Ravens.

SteelerRush
12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
interesting thought Billick replacing Ariens. That would certainly make things interesting next year. I do like the way he breaks down plays on the NFL network. He is our type of coach.
Hey Tomlin you listening!

igor0190
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Hopefully Arians keeps answering questions like that and he'll be hone before we know it. "Break in half" Not exactly necessary to say it like that. How about we can't afford an injury at the QB position.

steel-tex
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
what is the difference - we still lost - letting him run a few more times might have won the game for us - B.C. is a joke - we played this game not to lose --- not to win

--- Added 12/4/2009 at 08:44 PM ---

ill take M.R. BILL over B.C. as our O.C. !!!!!

Steel Trap86
12-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Would like to see Billick replace Arians....great move.

DanRooney
12-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Billick replacing Arians? wtf. Horrid.

Steel Trap86
12-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Arians is horrid. Watch playbook on NFLN, Billick isn't that bad.

JensK
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Personally i would not want to get rid of Arians to get something bad too. Might as well stick with what we have then, because at least the players know the system and the plays. If we Steelers were to fire Arians, they better bring in someone who knows how to coach!

TEEMONT
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM

and epic beer commercialss could be made

steel-tex
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
again --- M.R. BILL OR (THEY CALL ME BRUCE) FOR OC -- HMMM I VOTE MR BILL !!!